[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lost Levels thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 230px-Super_Mario_Bros_2_00-00.png (43 KB, 230x216) Image search: [Google]
230px-Super_Mario_Bros_2_00-00.png
43 KB, 230x216
so is this game actually good? or is it because of all the hipsters shitting on Mario USA, the "fake Mario 2"
>>
>>2795434
It's very good, as is Mario USA.
You can see it as an addon for SMB1 with new creative and harder levels. Also good luck beating the hidden worlds!
>>
I absolutely love lost levels but it's not for everyone what with how hard the game gets. Once I actually sat down and tried to master it though I had an amazing time.

I still like SMB2 USA more, but it's like comparing apes and oranges. They're two different games that go for different things.
>>
Great game, I played the SMAS version my first time through. It gets tricky as fuck in the later levels.
>>
>>2795434
I want to play this, should i just play the snes lost levels or it it worth downloading a Famicom disk emulator to play the original?
>>
It is good, it's a harder SMB1. When you beat it you shit yourself because it's so god damned hard.
That's not to say SMBUSA is crap, it's just a totally different game, that also happens to be fun.
>>
>>2795434

It's just an okay romhack of the original SMB. The SMB2 we got was way better.
>>
>>2795434
As someone who finds SMB1 hard Lost Levels is just too difficult for me
>>
>>2795494
SMAS is fine, the only difference besides graphics/music is the brick-breaking physics -- they stop you dead instead of bouncing you. So if that irks you play the FDS version
>>
>>2795564
That's the only difference in physics but the secret worlds are unlocked differently in each version. In the original to get world 9 you can't use any warpzones, and if you die in world 9 or later you don't get any continues. To unlock worlds A-D you have to beat the normal game like 8 times or something like that.

In Allstars you just have to beat world 8 to get to 9, and just keep playing to get through the rest of the worlds. It's the one thing that I think makes Allstars the version worth playing. Shame too, since I actually like the style of the original way more.
>>
Play Vs Super Mario Brothers instead. Best of both worlds.
>>
>>2795536
> an okay romhack
>romhack
get out and educate yourself
>>
>>2795564
There's a rom patch for this too
>>
>>2795434
>hipsters

That's /v/ slang which doesn't belong here.

>>>/v/

AND STAY THERE!
>>
>>2795980
>AND STAY THERE!
durr hurr
>>
Lost Levels is just too close to SMB1 for my tastes. The difference between SMB1 and 2 is huge, as is the leap from 2 to 3, and from 3 to Super Mario World.

Lost Levels feels more like playing a SMB1 expansion than a true sequel.
>>
>>2795543
This to be quite honest family. I was trying to beat SMB without warps and felt defeated after World 3.

Still, I admire what Lost Levels is and does pretty succesfully. If you're a SMB1 MASTER, then it was made for you and I think that's cool.
>>
>>2795793

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean it literally.
>>
I dunno, why don't you play it and form your own opinion?
>>
>>2795434
It's pretty good. The difficulty level is really hyped tho.
>>
>>2795434
I love it, got a legit copy for my FDS but rewrote it with a hacked version that starts you off with seven out of eight completes so I don't have to finish it all eight times just for A-D.
>>
>>2795434
I like it a lot. If you're a fan of SMB1 and like a lot of us old fucks have been played it out over the last thirty years(though I still pop it in occasionally) you should enjoy yourself.

My only criticism is that while there's a fairly steep difficulty curve it's not very innovative. Like someone else said it feels more like an expansion but the gameplay is just as solid.

also American SMB2 is fucking based, fuck the haters
>>
I've only played and beaten the Lost Levels on teh SNES All Stars, and it was by far the hardest game I've ever beaten. I don't know how I did it when I was 10, with no warps, through world 9 and D-4, but I did. So many deaths. . .

I'm 33 now and it still gives me douche chills thinking about it. It's fun, but unforgiving. Get used to being small mario and playing a level over and over again perfecting numerous jumps and timing issues for just about every level past 2-1.
>>
>>2795434
They're ok, but the difficulty curve ramps all the way up, it's downright sadistic in places. I didn't find them all that fun compared to regular SMB.

Also, SMB USA is a perfectly great game in it's own right, only hipster niggerfaggots shit on the western SMB2.

I honestly think it's better than Lost Levels.

>>2795793
Dude, even the Japs said shit like that when it first came out.
It's VERY much like the first game in almost every sense.
The graphics and gameplay is almost entirely identical, they just change and added on some things.

>>2795980
Shut your faggot mouth.
>>
File: Super Mario USA.jpg (244 KB, 500x688) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario USA.jpg
244 KB, 500x688
>>2796915
>also American SMB2 is fucking based, fuck the haters

The fact that there are people who actually shit on that game astonishes me, it's an amazing game. I guess some people just have chronic shit taste.

They literally released it in Japan as "Super Mario USA" and it's a beloved classic over there. Aside from just being a way, WAY better version of Donkey Donkey Picnic, it's a good Mario game in it's own right.
>>
>>2797275
does it save, though? donkey donkey picnic does.
>>
Both LL and USA could be erased from the history of the series and wouldn't be missed.
>>
>>2797279
I don't think so. Maybe it does?

DDP was on the Famicom Disk Drive and you had to beat the game with all characters to get the good ending. When they turned it into a cartridge game, well, that needs a battery for saving, so they opted to remove the requirement of having to beat it with all characters

I don't know if they actually released it as a disk drive game in Japan or if they just translated and released it as is, as a cartridge game
>>
File: angry-monitor.png (639 KB, 725x1039) Image search: [Google]
angry-monitor.png
639 KB, 725x1039
>>2797301
G-get out.
>>
>>2797342
Doki Doki Panic also didn't have a run button

let that sink in
>>
nothing in the lost levels compares to that feel when i found warp points in smb2 usa
>>
>>2797419
SM USA is really better in every way, they used DDP as a base and refined and reworked it.

DDP started out with a mindset similar to Mario, mostly by Mario devs, then was reworked into a Mario title.
>>
File: How.png (234 KB, 286x496) Image search: [Google]
How.png
234 KB, 286x496
>>2795543
>>2796208
>there are people who find SMB1 hard
>>
>>2798126
There's some challenging spots, but really, Lost Levels is MUCH harder, and MUCH less fair.
>>
>>2798126
It has some hard parts, and this game is mostly new to me. But I got to World 7 today and I'm gonna beat the shit out of it.

Lost Levels is the original Kaizo though.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.