[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So with Cloud and Final Fantasy VII being talk of the video game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 16
So with Cloud and Final Fantasy VII being talk of the video game town again; let's about about FFVII.

How many times have you beaten the game? Who was your main/most used team? Favorite Enemy Skill? Favorite Summon?
>>
>How many times have you beaten the game?
At least 6.
>Who was your main/most used team?
Cloud, Tifa and Vincent. Who oddly enough became the most important secondary characters later in the series
>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Beta mostly for the noise BRVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
>Favorite Summon?
Hades for coolness and I like the noise he made when he talked/Any Bahamut
>>
>>2795318
>Beaten the game
3 or 4 times.
>most used team
Cloud/Cid/Tifa
>Favorite enemy skill
Laser, gravity based attacks are broken as fuck.
>Favorite summon
Neo Bahamut
>>
>>2795318
>How many times beaten
No shit, at least 12. It was the only game I owned for like 2 years because poverty, and I had nothing else to do beside go to school and play video games.

>main/most used team
Cloud, Tifa, Barret. Also used a lot of Cid and Yuffie.

>Favorite Enemy Skill
Chocobuckle, you goddamned plebs

>Favorite Summon
Hades
>>
Currently in my first playthrough, started it 2 months ago and taking it really slow
Who was your main/most used team?
Cloud, Aerith, Nanaki
Favorite Enemy Skill?
Matra Magic so far
Matra Favorite Summon?
Titan so far
>>
>>2795397
>Aerith

Get ready friend
>>
I've beaten it maybe twice.
I was more in the habit of playing it until final fungeon, maxing my materia and shit out then never playing that save again.

Technically I should have beat it about 10 times by now
>>
>>2795323
>>2795357
What's the deal with Hades? Did this summon ever serve a purpose in any battle?
>>
File: emerald_weapon_by_jjar01[1].jpg (175 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
emerald_weapon_by_jjar01[1].jpg
175 KB, 1024x768
>>2795318
Counting all the times I re-beat it on the same save back in the 90s to test my improving gear or times all-through? 30+ or like 3
Cloud, Red XIII, Vincent
>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Fucking Big Guard are you even joking?
>Favorite Summon?
KotR
>>
>>2795439
Hades is more about the status ailments it inflicts, and not the damage. Hades + Added Effect in your weapon or armor is great.
>>
>>2795452
Oh, I know it's all about status ailments but my question is is there a hard as hell battle/boss that Hades turns the table on? I mean it seems like a giant waste to inflict all the fucking status in the game he has on a random field battle.
>>
I've never actually beaten it, I tried playing it through years ago but got stuck in some desert area and just didn't pick the game back up for too long. I'd like to try t again sometime though.

As for the questions, the only thing I remember is mainly using Cloud, Barret and Tifa as my party.
>>
>>2795462
That's pretty early on in the game, basically you just need to talk to the right people, then wonder in the desert to find Dyne and fight him with BArrett.
>>
>>2795457
Not him, but Hades has always been a centerpiece of my Ruby Weapon strategy.
>>
>>2795469
Really? I never used Hades on any of the Weapons because I assumed they'd be immune.
>>
>>2795457
Well, Hades inflicts paralysis when used as a summon, which actually works on Ruby Weapon. But it's really not worth using, due to Hades' high MP cost, and because you can inflict paralysis with Dazers, too.

Hades summon: Poison, Sleep, Silence, Confuse, Mini, Frog, Paralyze, Slow
Hades + Added Effect: Poison, Sleep, Silence, Confuse, Mini, Frog
>>
>>2795472
Ruby is vulnerable to paralysis
>>
Once. Well, one and a half, I lost interest on my second playthrough and never bothered with it again. I just don't find it as fun as some of the other FF's, though I can understand why it's so loved. Just not for me I guess.
Cid (best FF Cid, hands down), Cloud, Tifa
>Favourite Enemy Skill?
I don't remember.
>Favourite Summon?
Neo Bahamut.
>>
Maybe ten or so?

Cloud, Barret and Yuffie. I like the long range characters but I don't like Vincent's berserker limit breaks.

>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Beta because it is essentially a disc one nuke. White Wind comes in second because it is possibly the best healing spell in the game.

>Favorite Summon?
I don't really use summons that much, but I guess I like Hades' animation the best.
>>
>>2795452
I always use Contain with Added Effect because of stop and petrify.
>>
when i was a kid i used cloud, barret and red xiii. the last time i played i used cloud, yuffie and cid
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Probably more than ten times.
Cloud, Tifa, and (Rotating)
>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Beta, Trine, Aqualung, and Chocobuckle
>Favorite Summon?
Shiva, Odin, Bahamut ZERO
>>
>>2795462
I too gave up on FF7 in the desert. JRPG's aren't for me, but at least I tried.
>>
>>2795318
Not once. I got severely bored and annoyed with the game in the plains below Gold Saucer. By that time I realized the game is little more than a standard SNES and it failed to actually captivate me, and just kept pulling me along like a dog that's going to the vet.

Girls only (Tifa, Aerith/s, Cloud)
>>
File: 1387122177780.jpg (97 KB, 811x1023) Image search: [Google]
1387122177780.jpg
97 KB, 811x1023
>>2796890
>Girls only
>Cloud
Cloud is best girl
>>
>>2796896
>Tifa's titties aren't blurred out

Every time! xD
>>
>>2795318
>Times beaten
4-5
>Most used team
(Cloud) Tifa Cid Yuffie
>Favorite Summon
I hardly use them, but hades in conjunction with added effect materia (Yah, that works)
>Favorite enemy skill
Big guard

It has been about 8 years since I last played it... Maybe it's time again.
>>
>>2795318
Probably like 8 or 10.

Obviously I get "better" every time by just abusing materia setups, not giving a shit about getting a "perfect" save file and just going for it.

So I'm getting faster every time I do it. But its not like I'm trying to speedrun.

Just a nice playthrough every so often..
>>
No love for Cait Sith? I seem to be the only one :(. How could you not wanna hug the lovable scamp?
>>
File: miss cloud.jpg (91 KB, 562x1198) Image search: [Google]
miss cloud.jpg
91 KB, 562x1198
>>2795318
3. Or 4.

Cloud/Tifa/Barrett

>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Magic Hammer.

>Favorite Summon?
KotR
>>
minimum of 5 times.
Mixed everytime. But the favourite usually Cloud-Cid-Vincent
>Favorite Enemy Skill?
All of them
>Favorite Summon?
Odin
>>
File: FatChocobo.jpg (162 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
FatChocobo.jpg
162 KB, 1280x1024
A few dozen.
Cloud, Tifa and Cid. Those're the three Chocobo Riders those're the three primary characters when Cloud is out of commission.
>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Big Guard
>Favorite Summon?
With Added Effect? Hades (especially on Vincent's weapons, felt thematically appropriate). To actually summon? Fat Chocobo
>>
Why do you keep replaying the game?
>>
>>2795318
9 times at least
Cloud, Cait Sith and Cid (though lately I run with yuffie and barret)
>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Aqualung or Trine
>>Favorite Summon?
Odin
>>
I rememeber telling myself 'that must be my 50th playthough'. I don't know if that's accurate on reflection, I never did count. However, there was a period of my life where what I did was just play FF7. There's home video over a few years and in every one you can hear the overworld music when near my room.

Comfy game.
>>
>>2797423
>Comfy game
How so?
>>
Confession: I was always way to lazy to play the final fantasy games. So in the last tier or during boss fight i always switched off the console and watched the ending on youtube,
>>
>>2797446
modern gamers, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>2797404
Because I'm in love with Tifa, OKAY? Happy now?
>>
>Main team

Cloud + Cid and Vincent.

Dunno why, but I always enjoy using those two over the others.
>>
>>2797449
FF games are fucking dull half the time and above average on the other half. It's one of the few series' where the spinoffs are much better than the main games.

See: Bravely Default, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story Theatrhythm, 4 Heroes of Light, Dissidia.
>>
>>2797463
tifa means deeper in german
>>
Question from the other side, what makes this game enjoyable to all of you in this thread? I ask as someone who has never enjoyed any Final Fantasy, and has only managed to get maybe a few hours into any game in the series before dropping them.
>>
>>2797553
Can you express why you didn't enjoy it? I never finished FF7, and it's the only FF I played, so I'm in the same boat. I'm just wondering what the reasons for others are.
>>
File: Zapp Brannigan Smirking.jpg (17 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Zapp Brannigan Smirking.jpg
17 KB, 300x225
>mfw I beat Sephiroth without any planning.
>>
>>2797565
typically, I like action games and don't care at all about stories or characters. I especially dislike focus on cutscenes, because I think those are the least interactive thing in games, which are supposed to be an interactive medium IMO. I get interested in games for their gameplay mechanics. To me, FF games focus heavily on story, are (increasingly with each new game) more filled with cutscenes, and their gameplay mechanics are really easy to grasp, not very demanding, and as a result, not very engaging.

As a contrast, I really enjoy Wizardry, a game where story is basically a footnote and the game basically demands that you buck up and get good, or else enjoy watching your party get torn limb from limb. Also a fan of the exploration and map-making, which is slightly less emphasized in more DQ/FF-like RPGs.
>>
>>2797570
>and then you later learn that even if you mod the game to have cloud do 0 damage to sephiroth, just the act of hitting him triggers his death.
>>
I actually just picked it up, just got out of Midgard for my first time. I remember playing it as a kid, but never getting far past meeting Aeris. Which is weird because I've beaten every FF 1-6 multiple times. I am enjoying it so far, but kind of regretting I haven't gotten into it back then now.
>>
>>2795318
5 times

Cloud, Cid, and Yuffie

Magic Breath was fun to get and pretty to look at, albeit not actually very useful.

Neo Bahamut master race reporting for duty
>>
>>2797584
Steal kills him as well.
>>
>>2797148
His limit breaks were crap and I really didn't like his fighting style. He just wasn't interesting.
>>
Just played and beat FF7 the other day on steam. The game crashed multiple times when I was doing good on the final boss rush. It was the only time the game ever crashed for me, I should have emulated it. The game was also far better than I expected.
>>
>>2797753
>The game was also far better than I expected.
How so?
>>
>>2797764
I was expecting a mediocre game that everyone loves purely because of nostalgia.
>>
>>2797781
and how was it not? What was better than you expected? How was it different?
>>
>>2797734
First time I used his slot limit break I rolled Death Joker.

Never used him since, up till then I thought he was OK.
>>
>>2797784
I found the gameplay to be fun and the story actually interested me which I wasn't expecting. Usually I hate stories in games and always feel like mashing through boring dialogue, but I never felt that. The game also never felt tedious, nor was there any grinding. I was surprised by how much detail there was in the backgrounds.

It was just an overall good experience that never really left me bored or wanting the game to end already. It was also my 3rd jrpg.
>>
>>2797753
Well if you got these ideas from /v/, no wonder you thought it'd be shit. They pretend to hate it (even though they all love it) because the casuals and mainstream love the game now.
>>
>>2797807
what were 2nd and 1st?

For me FF7 was my first, I think. I was entirely on board with the story until the left Midgar. Then things kind of stalled, and by the time I changed continents, the game was pulling me along, I had no personal interest in the motives of the characters, and stopped playing the game shortly after. I also found the mini games really off-putting.
>>
>>2797813
>because the casuals and mainstream love the game now
But they have always loved the game
>>
File: FF7_Remake.jpg (49 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
FF7_Remake.jpg
49 KB, 620x620
>>2797807
Well as JRPGs go the story is pretty easy to follow and straight foward and doesn't go crazy with stupid ideas. I'm a little worried with the remake because of who's directing it.

Speaking of the remake, is there any legit reason not to make the remake a turn base RPG?
>>
>>2797817
Mother 3 and SMT Nocturne
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 532x448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 532x448
spoopy
>>
>>2797819
>doesn't go crazy with stupid ideas
Aren't you saving the world, as usual?

>Speaking of the remake, is there any legit reason not to make the remake a turn base RPG?
Because the original is ATB? .... don't take me too seriously. I actually liked the ATB system in FF7, one of the few things I liked, and that made me play as far as I played.
>>
>>2797835
A lot of JRPGs like to make the story to complex and full of itself. While it's not a JRPG look at Kingdom Hearts. KH1 the story was great, simple and easy to follow then it all fell apart, now the story is a complete fucking mess.

>ATB

Yes, but Square said they are redoing completely the battle system which may include getting rid of ATB.
>>
>>2797827
When kid first playing this game I HATED the Sunken Gelnika. I didn't understand status aliments and you are always getting fucking BLASTED by them there. I would always die, die, die, die. I left and never came back.
>>
>>2797842
>A lot of JRPGs like to make the story to complex and full of itself
Which is actually a primary reason I avoid playing them. I don't know why, but I react really badly to saving the world or destined hero stories. I prefer my stories much more whimsical, and local.
Your mention of Kingdom Hearts is the same. I played KH 1 and enjoyed it until I failed due to controller ineptitude (Cave of Wonders). What I heard from KH 2 and its successors though, I decided to pretend they don't exist, and treat KH 1 as an isolated fun game.

>Square said they are redoing completely the battle system
That's a real shame. Oh well.
>>
>>2797853
At the sunken gelinka is when I started to question "what the fuck is shinra making these for, are they going down an umbrella path with biochemical weapons"
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 284x302) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 284x302
>>
>>2797521
>tifa means deeper in german
If you were to speak proper German (hochdeutsch) and not some shit dialect, it wouldn't sound alike as you think it does. The German word isn't pronounced "tiefa" but "tiefer".
>>
>>2797950
You ask it then but not during Cloud's flashback when he sees the makonoid in the growing tank?

I still wonder why that was never touched on until Crisis Core.
>>
File: Nail_Bat_FF7.png (23 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
Nail_Bat_FF7.png
23 KB, 189x267
>>2795318
Once? I think I stopped outside of Sephiroth since I didn't really have much of a reason to keep going since I was bored of it. I beat Ruby and Emerald weapon, what was left for me?

Cloud/Cait Sith/Yuffie
I don't know why, this was my team, but, I was like 11 when the game came out. That was a weird time for me.

>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Beta because of the noise it made.

>Favorite Summon?
I can't even remember the summons for FF7. I guess Ramuh since that's the only one I can vaguely remember aside from KOTR? KOTR just annoyed me with how long it was, I suppose I should mention that too.

>Favorite Weapon?
Picture Related.
>>
>>2795318
>>2795318
>So with Cloud and Final Fantasy VII being talk of the video game town again; let's about about FFVII.

Once.
Cloud, Barret, Tifa.
>Favorite Enemy Skill?
I didn't use them too much so I don't remember.
>Favorite Summon?
All bahamuts.
>>
>>2795318

Once. Sephiroth was an extremely underwhelming final boss. He was dead after a few hits. The final boss should've been one of the Weapons.
>>
Just feel like reminding everyone that I created the original Red Chocobo scam, where you run around trying to manip cactaurs and then making them thousand needle themselves and mugging them for a nut that didn't exist. You're welcome from EWJ at the now long defuct Happy Chocobo Stables
>>
>>2798289
Oh yeah and the two S class black chocobos, though that didn't make it into a lot of the clone rumors started by other assholes
>>
>>2798289
What's Chocobo?
>>
File: dw.jpg (56 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
dw.jpg
56 KB, 400x400
>>2798289
>scam
>>
>>2798312
hoax* fixed.
I had a brain fart. either way I fooled a few people, I got a few of my friends before I even met them with that.
>>
>>2798240
Actually this Anon here, with news of the remake being confirmed should I wait for that to come out or should I replay it now?
>>
>>2795318
>beaten
5 or 6
>main team
cloud/tifa/cid
>enemy skill
BIG GUARD
>summon
pheonix is beautiful. odin is god
>>
>>2798321
replay it if you want, they said they're doing some changes to the battle system so who knows if they'll pull it off right
>>
>>2798416
same anon adding
I hope the only changes are new materia, weapons and a fourth character slot. Of course this would mean harder enemies.
>>
Whats the best version? I heard the PC version has framerate issues during battles.

Any must have mods?
>>
>>2795439
Hades linked with added effect and a slash all inflicts every negative effect on the enemies.
>>
>>2795318
Me and my sis have been planning a one sitting playthrough when we find the time. Should take around 15 hours. Gonna b fun.
>>
>>2800031
There's a guy on Twitch called XeroKynos that does 100% speedruns of FF7, including all E-skills, sidequests, materia, optional bosses, one of each item, and all limits.

He can do it in about 15 hours.
>>
>>2800039
That's fucking crazy. We're just doing the bare minimum to beat the game.
>>
>>2797827
How crisp the black circles are is freaking me out
>>
>>2797853
>try to leave the gelinka for the first time
>fucking ram into Emerald Weapon on accident

Fuuuucck
>>
File: Ghost_ShipFF7.png (82 KB, 440x511) Image search: [Google]
Ghost_ShipFF7.png
82 KB, 440x511
Oh hell, welcome to the Battle Arena.
>>
File: 1413302567142.gif (1 MB, 483x364) Image search: [Google]
1413302567142.gif
1 MB, 483x364
>mfw equipping 2xcut and slash-all to the same character
>>
Why fucking faggot Cloud? He's never even really been on a Nintendo system before. They had so many better choices than him:

>Crono
>Magus
>Geno
>Cecil
>Kain
>Orsted

But no, let's go with the meme character because he'll bring in the most sales.

Fuck Nintendo.
Fuck Squaresoft.
FUCK EM RIGHT IN THEIR GREEDY BLOODY ASSHOLES.
>>
>>2801978
Does that work? I seem to remember slash-all cancelling out 2xCut for some reason, but I may be wrong.
>>
>>2797148
Back in the day, I used Cait Sith and Red XIII just because they stood out
>>
>>2802074
He really does feel out of place.
They're starting to go full retard with the roster, all that's missing is James Bond and Goku and they'll have the line-up I made in 5th grade.
>>
>>2802074
>Magus
>Geno
>Cecil
>Orsted

Because they wanted to make money not waste it. (lmao! those choices...)
>>
>>2802117
Fuck off kuck, those are good choices.
>>
>>2802117
Magus has a huge fan following, are you literally dump?
>>
>>2802084
It does cancel it out
hence the gif
>>
>>2798181
>implying
>>
>>2802215
Oh lol. I didn't bother clicking it and just thought it was a happy anime girl
>>
>>2802074
So sorry that a game company is making games to make money, maybe you should stop complaining about new content and make a game yourself so it can be perfect.
>>
>>2805318
>a game company is making games to make money
Then they deserve to fail. I'm not trolling, that's my opinion
>>
>>2795318

Once. I look forward to beating it again soon, I still own it. I can't remember my favorite enemy skill or summon, but my favorite team was Cloud/Barrett/Tifa, even if it's generic. I use Aeris until she dies too even though it's technically pointless.
>>
>>2797428

I agree with him that it's comfy, I can't really define why though. It's the combination of atmosphere, visuals and music, I think.
>>
>>2805438
Let's see how far your game company goes then.
>oh wait, you don't have one.
>>
>>2797781

See? You should never listen to people when they spout meaningless arguments like that.

There are many, many people, including myself, who didn't play it when they were young and enjoyed it immensely. In fact, it's one of my three favorite games.
>>
>>2798321

I say replay it now, definitely.
>>
>>2800031

Huh? Are you a speedrunner or something? It takes me at least 35 hours to beat.
>>
>remake is going to have ARPG combat
Fucking dropped
>>
Is there anyone else who flat out refused to ever use Cait Sith? I still don't understand the point of him other than having a comic relief character, and he even fails at that because he's not funny or endearing whatsoever. His backstory was fucking stupid, too.
>>
>>2805932
imagine what the game would be like if it had no combat
>>
>>2805935
I try to use him a little when I first get him, just to switch things up.
But I always take him out and never look back, usually by the time I get to Gongagaggag
>>
>>2797823
jesus way to set the bar too high
>>
>>2805930
I've speedran it in individual sections before, using soft resets and such, to get the best in-game time I possibly can. I have a save file lying around that clocks in at 14:15 or so right before the final boss rush.
This is going to be my first time doing it in one sitting tho.
>>
>>2805956
I should also add that 14:15 isn't even that good of a time compared to some of the more serious runners.
>>
not even kidding, I started a playthrough in 1997 and though i gave up a few times and even switched platforms a few times I'm still playing through it and still haven't completed it

I hope I will be done before FF15 is out though
>>
About 7 times or so

Tifa, Cid and Cloud

>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Shadow Flare

>Favorite Summon?
Phoenix, I had it junctioned to Final Attack, one of the most OP materia combinations in my mind
>>
>>2805932
who the fuck cares as long as I get to take my time exploring the rest of Midgar
>>
>>2795318
5 times, I think
Cloud, Tifa (dat Godhand) and Barrett
>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Shadow Flare
>Favorite Summon?
Hades or Ifrit, mostly because they looked cool
That BWAAAAAAAAARGH sound Ifrit made scared the shit out of me when I played the game as a kid
>>
It was yeeeears after I last beat the game that I found out that the counter materias could be stacked
I should've figured it out since I already stacked the HP Plis materias

I felt like a retard, I could've trivialized this game
>>
>>2806017
>Godhand
Isn't that her ultimate weapon? The one that does damage based on her Limit gauge? That thing sucks a fat dick desu
>>
>>2806037
no, godhand is the one that has 255 hit so you always hit with deathblow
>>
>>2795318
None.

Cait Sith, Red XIII, and Cloud.

>Favorite Enemy Skill?
Ew who uses Blue magic?

>Favorite Summon?
Mog!!!!!!!!
>>
File: spok.gif (1 MB, 248x193) Image search: [Google]
spok.gif
1 MB, 248x193
>>2806043
>>
>>2802074
>>Geno

Mah nigga.
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.