[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Games that took a long time to click with you, but when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: aliensoldier.jpg (127 KB, 599x837) Image search: [Google]
aliensoldier.jpg
127 KB, 599x837
ITT: Games that took a long time to click with you, but when they did you loved them.

Pic related, I played this on and off for weeks just getting frustrated and not really understanding the controls or how it's meant to be played. Then suddenly it all clicked and it became possibly my favorite 16 bit game. Suddenly the controls were effortless, like second nature. Suddenly I knew exactly when to dash, exactly which weapon to use. It's amazing, I've never played anything else quite like it.

You?
>>
this happened to me with smash bros which I played for the first time this year (I am 31)
I played it for 2 months, was very bad at it, begun to play other games, and when I tried to play smash bros again 5 months later I was suddenly much better, as if my brain had learned how to roll and block while not playing the game.

I have been playing street fighter since 1991 and was ready to call smash bros pure shit, but now I kinda like it.
>>
File: realbout-special-screen30.png (21 KB, 304x224) Image search: [Google]
realbout-special-screen30.png
21 KB, 304x224
>>2795218

Most Treasure games are like that, it's great when they "click", but yeah Alien Soldier is especially tight.

I guess it also happened to me with Fatal Fury series. I remember at first I played them as if they were Street Fighter games, and didn't enjoy them as much, then I learned their own quirks, especially switching planes, and the game changed a lot, and now I think I like FF better than Street Fighter.
>>
>>2795218
Virtua Fighter. Couldn't stand it for ages, but now I love it.
Ghouls and Ghosts series. Short but intense sections make for a surprisingly satisfying experience all in all.
Mega Man. Sat down and played 3 to 10 earlier this year, and ended up really loving them, after only really caring for the X series before.
>>
>>2795350
>Virtua Fighter. Couldn't stand it for ages
Were you using Akira? I felt the same way until I tried Pai and Lau.
>>
>>2795218
Castlevania.
>>
>>2795364
Not him but I didn't really understand the massive movesets until I played shun.
>>
>>2795218

Zelda 1 and 2

it`s all about getting used to the controls and grind a lot
>>
>>2795364
>Were you using Akira?
Hah, spot on. I liked Akira, but because he's so complex I couldn't really get into the game. Then I spent some time playing as Lau, Pai, Jacky and Sarah and suddenly it was really enjoyable.
>>
File: alisiaj[1].jpg (136 KB, 757x482) Image search: [Google]
alisiaj[1].jpg
136 KB, 757x482
>>2795218
Now play this
>>
>>2795218
Guess I'll give this game another chance if what you're saying is true.
>>
>>2795450
God damn the Japanese box art is so much better than the western one. Shame a Japanese copy costs so much.

>>2795969
Just remember that dashing (down and C) is the most important mechanic in the game.
>>
Fuckin'...
STREET FIGHTER 2010
>>
Silver Surfer for NES.

A friend rented it when we were kids. Hated it because it was too hard. Fast forward... James Rolfe being super scrub league at it reminded me it existed. Found it at an independent game shop. Love it now.

Great game, greater music.
>>
Ridge Racer (specifically, Revolution). It took me ages for the drifting to click with me.
and now it's my gold-standard for racing games, hot fucking damn

R4 still eludes me a bit though. RR1, RRR, and Rage all feel great, but R4's got this odd "wide" sort of drift where you veer far away from where you'd expect compared to the older games.

>>2795218
Alien Soldier hasn't clicked for me yet. I really want it to, it looks gorgeous and the bosses look like a fuckton of fun when you understand the controls.
as it stands now, I'm cheesing though everything and then dying miserably and it feels a bit jank

>>2795364
>Were you using Akira? I felt the same way until I tried Pai and Lau.
this is very much my experience with VF
>>
>>2798256
I've been playing Silver Surfer recently. I think its only real problem is that your rate of fire is so slow, requiring a lot of tapping. Of course, you can use a turbo controller.
>>
>>2800605
I'm a master masher. I beat that shiz without turbo. I also play a lot of Metal Slug.

I'm doomed to an arthritic hell.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.