[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /vr/, There's going to be a reading group for pic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 41fq926j0dl_ss500_.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41fq926j0dl_ss500_.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
Sup /vr/,

There's going to be a reading group for pic related, which is (as far as I currently understand it) an attempt to create a ludic language for talking critically and academically about games. The aim would be discussion of what the book attempts to achieve.

A pdf is available:
https://gamifique.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/1-rules-of-play-game-design-fundamentals.pdf

Just making a thread to gauge whether anyone from here would be interested in reading along with a few other guys from other boards?
>>
>academic
Looking forward to being told how privileged I am through children's toys.
>>
>>2794851
Somewhat interested, and bored at the moment, so I'll read a bit. Hopefully it's not a bunch of bullshit.
>>
File: image.jpg (410 KB, 1286x902) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
410 KB, 1286x902
>>2794930
first fucking page and already a bunch of bullshit.

"screw gameplay, games should be emotional experiences" nonsense
>>
>>2794940

Go and argue it then. Though I would say your reading of what you posted seems at odds with what's on the page.
>>
>>2794851
CAN'T FLIM FLAM THE ZIM ZAM
>>
Sounds interesting. I'll give it a look.
>>
>>2794940
This pic just saved me a download.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>2794940
I don't think it says that at all?
>>
>>2794956
>Go and argue
yeah that'll work
>>
>>2795194
I'm open to dialogue if you want to voice your concerns about the foreword.

I don't think its the most pressing concern though, given that its part of the foreword not written by the authors themselves.
>>
>>2794851
I read a bit. Many parts are poorly written. From bad grammar, to incorrect use of words trying hard to sound smart, to just stupid ideas. Add a section about artificial difficulty and the casual babies here will make it their bible.
>>
>>2795217
Did these guys ever make any game? If not, their opinions on game design are as good as yours or mine.
>>
>>2795368
Yes, they did make games.

But my aim isn't to defend what's written in this book by any means, but to use it as a jumping off point for discussions going forward.
>>
>>2795368
Just learn to use google you retarded faggot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Salen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Zimmerman
>>
>>2795393
I think there's a big gulf between saying "games currently predominantly provide a narrower range of experiences than possible" and saying "screw gameplay, games should be emotional experiences".
>>
>>2795401
I think you're absolutely right, glad we agreed.
>>
>>2795396
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Salen
So your answer is no. kek
>>
>>2795396
>Eric Zimmerman (born 1969) is a game designer and the co-founder and CEO of Gamelab, a computer game development company based in Manhattan. GameLab is known for the game Diner Dash.

>Like many people working in this field, they are driven by the feeling that despite the breathtaking pace of recent technical and commercial advancement, games have remained creatively stunted. On the one hand, there is a sense of boundless potential, the much-dis-cussed possibility that games could succeed film as the defining form of popular culture for the new century. On the other hand, there is the reality of the game store-endless racks of adolescent power fantasies, witless cartoon characters, and literal-minded sports simulations.

>Eric Zimmerman...is known for the game Diner Dash.

I fucking lost it /vr/, game over
>>
Did anyone read The Art of Failure? That was a good discussion of why hard games are satisfying.
>>
>>2798480
Interesting, I'll look into it.
>>
I went to some sessions involving Eric Zimmerman at a GDC several years ago, he was awesome

I think maybe I should read this sometime but I don't really want to talk about it with random strangers, so... now is not that time
>>
little off topic but reminded me of this

http://www.ted.com/talks/ali_carr_chellman_gaming_to_re_engage_boys_in_learning
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.