[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently got to play a virtual boy for the first time, so I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 592x444) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 592x444
I recently got to play a virtual boy for the first time, so I decided to look a little more into how it worked since all I knew was "spinning mirrors" and was shocked to learn it only has a 1x224 LED array in each eye. So am I understanding this correctly, the LEDs just refreshed so fast that the mirror effectively acted as a buffer while it was rotating, reflecting the image into your eye one row of pixels at a time, 50 times a second?
>>
I dunno, but the little things broke on mine, the right eye at least. It gets weird graphical glitches often and I don't know what to do. Already tried the oven fix a few times now.
>>
>>2794701
Oven fix?
>>
>>2794701
Nevermind, looked into it. Man the vb is a weird system
>>
>>2794682
remember that a CRT is just one electron beam, fired at a screen, and it's actually interpolated (shoots odd-numbered rows, then even-numbered rows, repeating).. so it's not that weird unless you're comparing it to modern LCD/etc systems.
>>
>>2794737
Yeah I guess I always assumed it was like a modern screen since it used LEDs rather than a electron gun
>>
>>2794748
You can get LED screens now but they're huge and take a lot of power for resolutions you find in retro games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n-iORmV3Qk
>>
>>2794761
Jesus Christ I didn't know LEDs were such an ordeal. Why weren't LED hd tvs huge monstrosities then?
>>
>>2794853
Because they only use LED for backlights, they're otherwise identical to LCD TVs with CFL backlights.
>>
>>2794853
Because "LED HDTVs" are just backlit by LEDs. It's a pretty flagrant lie by marketing.
>>
>>2794720
>>2794734

Yeah, flimsy little fucker. Love the 3D and the controller and the games though.

I really need to get it fixed, I have heard there is a 'permanent' fix that requires excellent solder skills. I am horrible at soldering though, so woe is me I guess.
>>
>>2794853
"LED" TVs are LCDs with LED backlighting. They're marketing bs, likely designed so people would confuse them with OLED technology which is completely different and very superior. OLED screens are comparable to plasma or CRTs as far as color accuracy, response times, and contrast. They have an issue with certain subpixel colors dying out fast though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.