[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jewel cases
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_3814.jpg (166 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3814.jpg
166 KB, 1024x681
What does /vr/ prefer? Jewel cases like the PSone and the Dreamcast or keep cases like everything after the 2000?
>>
Jewel cases, though longboxes are so deliciously old school.
>>
I kind of dig those old long saturn boxes
>>
>>2794285
I adore PS1 style jewel cases, but if I absolutely had to choose, I'd go with the PS2 style DVD cases, out of sheer practicality. But it'd HAVE to be PS2 specifically, because those were high quality and had good weight, unlike the anorexic 360 cases and shoddy generic DVD cases.
>>
I hate jewel cases.
>>
>>2794295

Me too except for the fact that the plastic shatters if you sneeze on them.
>>
Genesis cases were always my favorite.
>>
My problems with longboxes:

>they waste space
>they need those foam spacers to keep the discs and manuals in place whenever you move the boxes around, like in shipping
>the manuals get bent and saggy like crazy when you leave the boxes flat for a while because they're hanging by their edges on those tabs
>the Saturn ones are more fragile than eggshells

It's not the early days of CD games anymore, where taking up more retail space is needed for people to notice what you're selling.

DVD-style cases, while taller than necessary, at least provide enough space for memory cards where appropriate. And when you lay them flat on their backs for an extended period, at least the raised disc-holding section will hold the manuals closer against the front of the case.

If I had to choose a shorter case style, I like the slightly more durable EU PS1/Dreamcast cases to regular jewel cases.

For carts, I like the MD/Genesis style for how utilitarian they are. I really love SFC boxes for all that classic art they had on them, but it was too easy to damage them and they were both inconvenient to display and wasteful with all the extra cardboard and plastic bags inside.
>>
I like jewels for being easy to replace. I think the DS had great cases though, durable and compact. As of this decade cases went to shit though, they're so flimsy they basically deform from being opened.
>>
>>2794396
This, I love DS cases.
>>
I find cd jewel cases to be some of the worst.
They're always getting cracked, etc.
I like Turbografx cases, though. They're obviously made of a stronger plastic.
>>
I despise Jewel Cases with a passion, even back in the 90s, because they were more brittle than egg shells. But I dealt with them. Now most of my PS1, Dreamcast, and PC titles are in DVD keep cases.
>>
Jewel cases are pretty, but I'm a clumsy slob and they break easy, so I gotta go with the ugly opaque "keep cases" as you call them.
The memory card slot on most of them was a nice touch too.
>>
PS2 and Gamecube had the best game cases. Nice, thick & durable plastic, before game companies decided to go "green" and put their games in thin flimsy things that were also full of holes.
>>
better than cardboard boxes, but worse than the dvd cases
>>
>>2794892

It sucks. Apparently that's because a California law was passed regulating the amount of packaging that things could have. So, if they wanted to sell games in California they had to change their cases.
>>
I find it funny that it took until the DS for anyone to make a keep case the same size as a jewel case, and they were for game cards a tenth of the size of a CD.
>>
Jeweled cases were great for one reason only. That being that if and when they eventually broke, they were easy to replace.
>>
I love packaging that really small, like Famicom and Super Famicom boxes, so Jewel cases are my favorite for disk based media. PS2 and Gamecube cases are nice and durable, but I think they waste space.
>>
>>2795073
>>2794892
>comparing the flimsy ps2 cases to the nintendium of gamecube cases

Just leave already
>>
>>2795083
What? Have you ever bought an earlier PS2 game? The cases will have a memory card holder and they are thick and sturdy as hell. Only way later games like Okami would come in the flimsy DVD cases with the disk in the middle and no memory card slot.
>>
pal dreamcast cases are my favorite
>>
>>2794285
Jewel cases just break too much. Saturn cases are the worst because they are huge and crack in the mail.

The best cases of all time are Sega. Standard DVD cases are ok.
>>
>>2795096
Every single gamecube case has a memory card holder plus the plastic is thicker and the snap of closing the box is fucking luxurious
>>
>>2795172
Shame about the Gamecube spines huh?
>>
>>2795175
Nah dey coo
>>
>>2795183
Gamecube spines remind me of the Wii U Pro Controller. It's like Nintendo wanted to be part of the cool group but they didn't want to admit it so they made one change just for the sake of being different, and it's a fucking retarded change.
>>
I really wish I could replace all my Sega CD and Saturn longboxes with smaller jewel cases

but the manual size just wouldn't let me do it, can't toss them, I don't like keeping them seperate from the games.
>>
>>2795187
Wii U Pro controller would be glorious for Virtua On, Katamari Damacy, Ape Escape, etc.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.