[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a better spike in difficulty boss
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9
File: imageedit_5_3904092717.png (744 B, 272x512) Image search: [Google]
imageedit_5_3904092717.png
744 B, 272x512
Name a better spike in difficulty boss
>>
File: Gremlin.gif (3 KB, 107x136) Image search: [Google]
Gremlin.gif
3 KB, 107x136
Trigger warning
>>
>>2793958
What's so hard about him, f-am?
>>
>RCR
>remotely difficult
Literally grind to win.
>>
File: sigma.jpg (71 KB, 480x352) Image search: [Google]
sigma.jpg
71 KB, 480x352
whole game was easy until this
>>
>>2793986
>Has only the boot and cannon upgrade
>>
File: Manup.jpg (38 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Manup.jpg
38 KB, 256x224
Chess, anyone?
>>
>>2793986
>mfw you can hit him with the Hadouken
>>
>>2793990
I just googled for a picture of him, I always get the items. First time through he was still hard with all items.
>>2794025
you are a liar and a fraud
>>
File: Rockman X (V1.0) (J)002.png (57 KB, 1024x896) Image search: [Google]
Rockman X (V1.0) (J)002.png
57 KB, 1024x896
>>2793990
Related to this, I used a password to skip getting the leg parts, just to see if it was still possible to beat the game with no upgrades except for the forced arm parts after the first Sigma stage.

Believe it or not, the hardest boss in the game was Velguarder, since it's practically impossible to evade some of its attacks without dashing or dash jumping. You kind of have to bait it into a specific attack pattern to beat it, especially when you don't have any heart tanks or sub tanks.

Sigma actually wasn't that bad, ironically.

In the ending sequence, it actually forces the leg parts on X when Sigma's fortress is collapsing, but shows X with the parts you actually had during the credits. Which causes his sprite to screw up, since there's no proper dash animation for X without the leg upgrade.
>>
F U C K J A Q U I O
U
C
K

J
A
Q
U
I
O
>>
>>2793976
>grinding
>even remotely necessary

nig, how new can u be? just do dashing mach kicks over and over.
>>
File: 17.jpg (35 KB, 256x200) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
35 KB, 256x200
The AC version of Double Dragon II had some pretty fucked up bosses.
>First boss is a masked wrestler with a creepy as fuck laugh.
>He's nothing more than a pushover who dies after a few combos.
>Second boss has a pretty laughable design, essentially being a suspenders-wearing Terminator with a retarded voice.
>MOFO can drain your entire life in seconds bar with his shoulder tackles
>>
File: GDariusBossADDemo01[1].png (41 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
GDariusBossADDemo01[1].png
41 KB, 400x300
>>2793958
>Bullets are fast and dense as fuck
>Attack patterns are almost at complete random
>Has a fucking barrier that you have to disable to even damage it

Of course, nobody will know what I'm talking about since the PSX port is laggy as hell, but on Taito Legends 2, suddenly these bosses are almost like a Cave STG sped up.
>>
>>2795024
>overusing overpowered moves
that makes it even worse.
>>
>>2795137
Most games have something that is overpowered
>>
>>2795137
>complaining about OP when every game has something that is OP

Why do you even play games again?
>>
>>2795143
>>2795158
Only bad beat em ups have broken shit like that.
>>
>>2795167
>Only bad beat em ups have broken shit like that.

Name some good ones.
>>
>>2795171
Warriors of Fate, SoR2, D&D1, King of Dragons to name a few fám.
>>
>>2795193
>Warriors of Fate
hidden weapons that can 1-2 hit kill enemies

>SoR2
Ressuppa is OP

>D&D1
this is a rare exception.

>King of Dragons
Wizard is OP

just because something has OP stuff doesn't make it "bad". RCR is a great game that is fun to play.
>>
>>2795208
-Only on one little segment from a level that isn't even hard
-Nice meme, try spamming it on Mania and see how far you get
-It's not
-Again, Wizard isn't even the best character, only people who play the baby tier revision of the game at default difficulty say that.
>>
>>2795225
>WoF
My point was that the game HAS something OP, considering that you implied that good games don't have any of it. my point wasn't about how much access you have to it.

>SoR2
Mania is a secret hidden difficulty mode. It's a niche mode. For all the other difficulties, Grand Upper is a very powerful move.

>D&D1
Yes, it is. Name some more good beat em ups.

>KOD
Wizard is the best character regardless of the versions. You're in the minority here.
>>
>>2795225
Oh wait, if Wizard isn't even the best character according to you, yet objectively he is ridiculously strong, then how much more OP must the fighter be lol
>>
>>2795260
-For something to be OP it has to be on all the game, not being a little secret weapon from 1/20 game that isn't even difficult. Besides, it's pretty easy to lose the weapon if you get hit.
-If you are excluding Mania then any character is too poweful for the game. Max's Atomic Drop is way more powerful than the memestic grand upper.
-Fighter is so good that you can do a level 1 weapon run with it, good luck doing that with the Wizard m8.
>>
>>2795295
>For something to be OP it has to be on all the game
No, it doesn't. Think about what you just said. Let's say that a character in an RPG is extremely OP but only available during the last 10% of the game. Does that mean he isn't OP? Anyway, that is beside the point. I was pointing out the fact that the game you mentioned even HAS something that is OP, which already contradicted your original point, so now you're just nitpicking.

>If you are excluding Mania then any character is too poweful for the game
In other words, for all the difficulties that are not Mania, which include Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, Hardest, your characters are OP? But I thought you said that "Only bad beat em ups have broken shit like that" and yet you listed SOR2 as one of the "good ones". You're contradicting yourself.

>Fighter is so good that you can do a level 1 weapon run with it
Okay. Now you've just admitted that the Fighter is so good that he can do all that. Doesn't that make him OP? Didn't you just say that "Only bad beat em ups have broken shit like that"? I thought you said that KOD is a "good" beat em up.
>>
>>2795315
-Whatever man, i don't consider a bonus secret item on 1% part of the game as "OP". Nitpick as you which, but if you suck at the game you will not even get that far, and if you are good, that part is cake with or without weapon.
-Way to miss the point. The point is that SoR2 up to Hardest isn't a very difficult game, and all the characters are just as doable to finish the game.
-No. The difference here is that Fighter is a legit top tier character, you need actual skills and reflexes to make him a great, otherwise you will use characters like Wizard, which is noticeably worse but requires less skills. That's pretty different to RCR, which is just about spamming OP moves and do some grinding, no character variety in this game whatsoever.
>>
>>2795331
-I already stated what my point was in 2-3 previous posts. I think those weapons are awesome and fun to use. But you probably think using them is repulsive because you're such a perfectionist and purist. You might as well stick to pong or rock paper scissors if you want perfect balance.

-Are you serious? Has it not occurred to you that the game might be easy because the characters are powerful?

-So, if a character is OP but requires skill then he is not OP? Wat? Also, you're making it seem like King of Dragons is a skill-intensive game.
>>
>>2795167
Also, I'm curious about your opinion about "broken shit" in other genres.

What do you think about action games such as the Contra series?

What do you think about fighting games?

What do you think about RPGs?
>>
>>2795353
I don't feel like continuing the first and second point.

>So, if a character is OP but requires skill then he is not OP?
Pretty much. Something OP must be both poweful and easy to use (0 learning curve). Best examples that come to mind are the large oils from Shadow over Mystara and the elbow in DD1: without knowing anything from them you will still dominate.
None of the games i named have OP stuff because:
-All the characters are similarly good options to beat the game. While some of them are slightly better than others, they all are still pretty close.
-Spamming a few shit isn't enough to dominate in the game, you need to get good before that and that takes time.
>King of Dragons is a skill-intenive game.
The USA version on Hardest difficulty is no joke.

>>2795361
For me broken shit is something that requires 0 skills yet it's extremely useful.

For Contra, the shotgun is often the best weapon. However Contra (and any run 'n gun) is much more than having a good weapon, we know Contra is about learning patterns and good reflexes for the most part, so having a better weapon, while helps, doesn't mean you will instantly dominate the game.

In fighting it depends on the game of course, but the good ones have pretty balanced tiers for the most part.

I don't play many RPGs, but since grinding is an option, difficulty/challenge is kinda trivial on them, they are more about the adventure.
>>
>>2795392
>I don't feel like continuing the first and second point.
:|

>None of the games i named have OP stuff because:
>All the characters are similarly good options to beat the game. While some of them are slightly better than others, they all are still pretty close.
>Spamming a few shit isn't enough to dominate in the game, you need to get good before that and that takes time.
Didn't you mention Streets of Rage 2?

>(King of Dragons)The USA version on Hardest difficulty is no joke.
What about the default setting?

>For Contra, the shotgun is often the best weapon. However Contra (and any run 'n gun) is much more than having a good weapon, we know Contra is about learning patterns and good reflexes for the most part, so having a better weapon, while helps, doesn't mean you will instantly dominate the game.
What you just said applies to most every action game including beat em ups. Do you actually think that someone who has never played Mystara will instantly dominate the game after being told "Hey use them Large Oils on bosses"? Do you think that someone who plays RCR for the first time will instantly dominate the game after being told "Use dashing mach kicks, nigga."

>Something OP must be both poweful and easy to use (0 learning curve). Best examples that come to mind are the large oils from Shadow over Mystara
For Mystara, the large oil is often the best weapon. However Mystara is much more than having the large oils, we know Mystara is about learning enemy patterns and inputting good commands for the most part, so having the large oils, while helps, doesn't mean you will instantly dominate the game.

>In fighting it depends on the game of course, but the good ones have pretty balanced tiers for the most part.
Name some good ones.
>>
>>2793958
Any SNK final boss.
>>
>>2793986
Beat him as a kid. Easy as fuck.
>>
>>2795417

Stop playing the cpu. Be a patrician and play vs.
>>
>>2795408
>What about the default setting?
Pretty decent difficulty, you will still take some time learning mechanics and patterns in the game if you want to 1cc.

>Do you actually think that...
Yes, it requires very few time to dominate the game and learning the OP shit like i did. Unlike Tower of Doom which has more complex AI, no overpowered shit and where the regular items actually matter to survive.

>However Mystara is much more than having the large oils
It's not. In Mystara you need to learn patterns for about 2 bosses in the game. Everything else doesn't matter because regular enemies are a dumb as shit jugglefest (learning a decent juggle combo takes just a few minutes). Also, you have a huge amount of items that makes you pretty much unkillable.
>>
>>2795432
>Pretty decent difficulty, you will still take some time learning mechanics and patterns in the game if you want to 1cc.
Sounds like every other beat em up out there. Except maybe DD1 with its elbow and GA1 with its mounts.

>Yes, it requires very few time to dominate the game and learning the OP shit like i did.
Tell me with a straight face that you discovered all those tricks and glitches by yourself. It's impossible to discover all those tricks in a couple playthroughs. The reason why you had such an easy time with the game is because you learned all the tricks on the internet. BTW, i'm not disagreeing with you that Mystara is an easy as hell game. but if someone were isolated in some bumfuck village out in the middle of Siberia and had to figure out everything by himself, then it would take a lot longer for him to 1cc the game than someone who 1-coins it on his 3rd try after watching youtube videos.
>>
>>2795438
Pretty much the only trick you need to learn in Shadow over Mystara are the oils, and it's not that hard to figure, once you do it becomes all knowledge and no skills. In other beat 'em ups you need more than learning tricks from youtube, you need to play the game by yourself and git gut by yourself if you want to get far.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
>>2795448
Okay, I'll take your word for it. Also, I'm glad we could have a discussion without resorting to name calling which is the norm on these forums. And my apologies if I came off sarcastic or snarky some times.

Anyway, back to the original topic. pic related
>>
Hey isn't Knights of Valour essentially properly balanced Mystara? What do you guys think of that?
>>
>>2795476
If I am remembering right, the boss isnt the real problem. Its all the extra enemies that spawn in and mess you up if you do not kill them quickly. Especially as each wave gets worse until you get 4 black suit rolling enemies all at once.
>>
>>2795480
KOV is certainly more balanced than Mystara with its LBOs, dumb enemies, SOL uncursing glitches, corner juggles, healing rings up the ass, mage, cleric, lightning bolt glitches, etc, but KOV isn't that properly balanced either. It might depend on the version though. The early versions have a Zhuge Liang that is ridiculously good (and more fun to play imo), but the later versions toned him down a bit. Also, the early game is heavily dependent on grinding by using consecutive weak jabs (stabs) to increase your exp and level up as much as possible to get to the next attack speed breakpoint. I have no idea about the sequels though. I'm not very knowledgeable about the KOV series though, so take what I said with a grain of salt.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.