[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best console for retro game emulation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: OUYA-Console-set-h.jpg (27 KB, 864x504) Image search: [Google]
OUYA-Console-set-h.jpg
27 KB, 864x504
Is this the best console for retro game emulation?
>>
>>2793841
Original wii modding works great. Ouya is good if you have one laying around. It'll work with anything from ps1 and earlier. A small form factor pc would be best though
>>
>>2793841
That's not a PC...
>>
File: Xbox11.png (173 KB, 640x372) Image search: [Google]
Xbox11.png
173 KB, 640x372
>>2793841
Absolutely 100% the original Xbox was the best for emulation. Most emulators were very well polished, and it could even run some N64 games as well; my roommate and I played through Harvest Moon 64 using the Project 64 port on the Xbox. One thing it even has over the Wii is the ability to output 720p or 1080i.
>>
>>2793874
Are the mods strictly software or do I have to buy shit to do this?

Where can I find documentation on how to do it and what it can do?
>>
>>2793878
http://www.techfreaks.org/articles/modxbox.shtml
http://www.techfreaks.org/articles/modxbox2.shtml
http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
The easy way needs a few things, but it's extremely cheap. You might need to find a shitty old computer to upgrade the hard drive easily
>>
>>2793841
>>2793874
Both are now vastly outdated, even if there's still capable of stuff. Not a good idea to buy one now strictly for emulation, but a good idea to install emulators on it if you already have one in sleeping the closet.
>>
>>2793878
You'll need a hard drive but otherwise it's all software. And I have to agree it makes a great emu box, I've been thinking about picking one up again just for this (plus you can play backups of xbox games too, if that's your fancy).
>>
>>2793874
one thing the Wii has over the XBOXHUEG is 240p output, though. Which means you can get the output of the Wii to look as good as identical as it would look from the actual console.

It's a bit sad, really, because the Xbox is better machine for homebrew, overall.
>>
>>2793841
are you retarded?
>>
File: 20151113_155009[1].jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151113_155009[1].jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>2793885
>>2793887

That's exactly what I got. I also have some IDE hard drives laying around too. I'm stoked, thanks a ton anon
>>
File: nvidia shield.jpg (95 KB, 800x748) Image search: [Google]
nvidia shield.jpg
95 KB, 800x748
>>2793841
No, pic related is, but the Ouya is fine.
>>
>>2793878
You can do a softmod without opening the Xbox, but back when I did it you did need a few things: an action replay, which came with a USB-to-Xbox memory card adapter; an official Xbox memory card (the one that comes with the action replay is very prone to corruption, making the mod likely to fail); and either a copy of 007 Agent Under Fire or a certain version of MechAssault. Maybe now there are better alternatives that don't require those things. Also, you probably want a bigger harddrive (the Xbox's HDD is only 8GB).

Basically what you do is copy a corrupted save file onto the memory card, load it in the game, and an exploit is launched. You can then install the exploit to the Xbox, allowing you to access the homebrew dashboard without the game. You might still be able to find guides here:
http://www.xbox-scene.com/

>>2793891
240p is certainly a blessing if you plan on using a CRT. The games look perfect then. Otherwise, upscaling to 1080i looks the best on a newer TV, although not perfect.
>>
>>2793895
looking at that picture nearly gave me an asthma attack.
>>
>>2793908
Sorry. I don't keep too great care of the shit in a closet in a room I haven't touched in 8+ years lol
>>
>>2793841
This is still around?
>>
File: don't buy an Ouya.png (37 KB, 655x950) Image search: [Google]
don't buy an Ouya.png
37 KB, 655x950
>>
>>2793841
>terribly low powered and shit support
>controller is absolutely dogshit (the biggest reason to not emulate on it)

A 3DS, PSP, Wii, or properly kitted out Android will beat it in all ways that matter.

>it's gonna run Skyrim
I don't know where people got that idea either.
>>
>>2793903
Sounds like too much hazzle dwazzle for me.
>>
>>2795454
Just sacrifice a controller and use a thumb drive with the program that mounts X-fat drives.
Best 15 minutes ever spent.
>>
>>2794749
faaack it's been so long.
just kill me now
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.