[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's be real here /vr/. Everyone believes that Mega Man
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: 645546-mega_man_3[1].jpg (106 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
645546-mega_man_3[1].jpg
106 KB, 400x550
Let's be real here /vr/. Everyone believes that Mega Man 3 was superior to 2 in every way, right?
>>
Glitchy messes aren't better than timeless classics, no.
>>
Pretty much, people who disagree are covert spies from reddit.
>>
It is objectively better.
>>
It had shittier Wily Castle stages, a more broken Item-2, 9 e-tanks instead of 4, shittier music than 2, slowdown out the ass, and was rushed out the door in only 6 months. It also wasn't a huge improvement over its predecessor like 2 was to 1. So, disagree.
>>
No.
>>
>>2793487
>find out the invincibility cheat and super jump cheat with controller 2
>brother feels good cause he's helping by holding the the button
>tries other buttons out.
>hilarity ensues
most memorable childhood Megaman.
>>
I liked 2 more but I have a woody for Wood Man as a boss. He is my favorite.
>>
I was more of a fan of 4 and 5, but 3 is also very good
>>
>>2793485
>Let's be real here /vr/. Everyone believes that Mega Man 3 was superior to 2 in every way, right?
Ugh, no. Just... no.

Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way: the glitches, the slowdown, the weird developer cheats left in the game. Sure, hacks have fixed all that up, but...

... the level design is still terrible. Too many big, open areas with very little interesting platforming. Most of the spots in the game requiring sliding are there just to remind you that you can slide and add nothing else to the game. I think Needle Man's stage is the most "complete" stage in the game, and even that has issues with those giant extending spikes that are clearly an invitation to use your awesome new slide ability yet are pretty much a deathtrap unless you slowly work you way between each one.

... the weapons are... eh. The Spark Shot doesn't do much except make moving enemies into static obstacles. The Magnet Missile is boring. Top Spin would actually be okay if it weren't so likely to screw you over by making you take a hit or lose all of your weapon energy. The Gemini Laser (aside from being a boring idea for a weapon from a character who splits into two) is slow and difficult to aim properly. The Hard Knuckle feels like it should be the big bruiser weapon of the game, but it's rarely useful. The only real workhorses are the Search Snake and the Needle Cannon.

... the Proto Man fights are clearly placeholders. I refuse to believe that the programmers said "Okay, he jumps back and forth and shoots with no variation to his pattern" and were okay with it.

I mean, really, if you want a solid Mega Man game, you've got to go with MM4, or even MM2 if you're willing to deal with its relatively primitive design issues. Hell, even MM7 is a more satisfying game to me than MM3.
>>
>>2793724
I used a chair leg instead of a brother. It was much more dependable.
>>
I like them both, but Mega Man 3 has a bit more to it in terms of Mega Man-iness.
>>
>>2793630
>shittier music than 2

Dis nigga is serious?
>>
mega man 3
>class a game-breaking bugs that will force you to reset your console
>long, mandatory rush jet segments with no ability to refuel on your next life
>a large chunk of the game is recycled bosses in recycled levels
>3 of the recycled levels are the weakest in the game
>completely fucked difficulty curve (doc robot levels are considerably harder than the piss-easy wily castle)
>almost every level is designed around pitfalls, 99% of player deaths are from pitfalls, most enemies are designed solely to push the player into puts
>inafune admits the game was rushed to market by capcom in an attempt to capitalize on mega man 2's success
>sub-par weapons and robot masters (hard man? really now?)
second-worst game in the series after mega man 7

...however, spark man and snake man are awesome
>>
>>2793882
wait how could i forget
>TWO fucking boss loops for no reason
like seriously why
>>
>>2793882
I like megaman 7 and I like megaman 3.
Fuck you.
>>
>>2793865
2 had the best music hands fucking down.
>>
>>2793882
Half of your problems can be solved by getting good.
>>
>>2793971
Poor design is poor design regardless of how much difficulty it presents.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (101 KB, 561x625) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
101 KB, 561x625
I just wanted this guy to come back for another game, coolest part of 3 right here
>>
>>2793971
but none of the game's problems, huh
>>
I like 5 most outside of the 1-up meme.

But to be honest overall I like X series much more.
>>
>>2793485
no fucking way m8
>>
>>2793485
>which one of these countless virtually identical games is the best
welp let's saddle in for 500 replies
>>
Mega Man 2 was kinda eh too
>too easy
>Beat most bosses by going braindead and spamming metal blades

Mega Man 4 is the best
>>
I don't like Mega Man without sliding
>>
Why play Megamans when you could play superior Sonic 1-3?
>>
>>2793982

Agreed. Always my favorite to draw.
>>
>>2794474
>2 is too easy
>4 is the best

Isn't 4 considered one of the easiest?
>>
Mega Man 2 is probably the only Mega Man game that's a complete package. The other games may have outdone individual things about 2, but none of them were as good as 2 at being a comprehensive experience.
>>
>>2794513
Nope, 2,5 and 6 are the easiest ones, 2 because the metal blades, 5 for its ridiculous 1-up drops and broken mega buster, and 6 overall isn't that hard.

>>2794067
and this.
>>
I still contend that 1 was the best.
>>
I'm really fond of 4, but 3 is probably my second favorite.

I used to be into 2 like everyone else, but playing it through again the weapon balance bothered me and a handful of things about the Wily stages really killed the game for me.
>>
>>2793927
Nah, but MM2 is easily the second best OST in the series behind MM3. Too bad so many of the other games in the series had such forgettable tunes.
>>
OFFICIAL MEGA MAN CLASSIC POWER RANKINGS

1. MM2
2. MM3
3. MM1
4. MM4
5. MM7
POWER GAP
900. MM6
901. MM5
THE ABYSS
99999999999999999. MM8

as always I expect people who suck at video games to complain mega man 1 and 7 are too hard and poop their pants because 7 is "too zoomed-in to see enemies" which is my favorite excuse for sucking at a simple mega man game
>>
Played megaman 2 constantly as a child because it was what I had.

Didn't have access to mm3 and emulators til much later. And RPGs like chronotrigger and smrpg took precedent instead.

Platformers were high unplayable sans controller so years later I still haven't really played the other mega games much besides the recent releases. As such, MM2 is still best for me.
>>
>>2795257
>he doesn't like 6

Shit taste
>>
>>2795040
MM3 had the Break Man theme. That right there is a crime against humanity, there's no way you can put that soundtrack in first place with a track that can shatter glass and kill your dog.
>>
>>2795316
>hating on Protoman's Whistle Concert
>>
>>2795348
>not hating annoying shit
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.