[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone used one of these to play retro Light Gun games? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: file.png (280 KB, 681x513) Image search: [Google]
file.png
280 KB, 681x513
Has anyone used one of these to play retro Light Gun games? I have a CRT, but it's flat screen. Heard normal Sony/etc light guns don't work on flat screen CRTs.
>>
>>2792987
As I see in the manual, this gun have the same principle of work as Wiimote, so if you happen to have a Wii, you can just connect your Wiinote.
How much does it cost?
>>
>>2792995
Don't have a wii and never have. Don't know much about how they work. I think this is like $95 or something. Just interested to hear about it/alternatives
>>
It's only HDCRTs that don't work with conventional light guns, not all flat CRTs are HDCRTs. The worst problem you might have is dodgy accuracy at the very corners.
>>
>>2793010
Think mine is also 1080i
>>
>>2793019
What's the model number? If it's 16:9 or if it has digital inputs on the back (or even VGA/DVI) then it probably won't work with light guns.
>>
"Flat screen" CRTs work fine with light guns, as long as it's an SDTV.
>>
File: Pf7w6BJ.jpg (127 KB, 604x1008) Image search: [Google]
Pf7w6BJ.jpg
127 KB, 604x1008
>>2793032
My exact TV
>>
I've tried Aimtrak, it's absolutely terrible if you've ever used a CRT lightgun before. Hideous lag, you're basically forced to use an on-screen cursor, and you have to sit a stupid distance away.

My Act-labs gun just came today, 40 bucks off eBay. Plugged it into my CRT monitor, and it worked perfectly on Windows 7 with a modern graphics card. Just got through a HotD2 run that I wouldn't be able to tell apart from the arcade aside from the gun weight, absolutely beautiful, perfect accuracy.

I really wish there was a decent home LCD solution. Games like VC3 were very close to the CRT experience, thanks to an array of LEDs all around the screen, which eliminated the white flash that's so iconic of the genre.

With the LED bars and strips, there just isn't enough information for the gun to base things off. 2 fucking points? are you serious? You can't even tell the vertical angle with that. If you have to get an LCD gun, buy an EMS top gun, it's almost identical and cheap.

>>2793058
HDTV, wouldn't work with CRT guns.
>>
>>2793069
Ah well. I have some non-HD CRTs around the house I think. This is just my main TV in my room.
>>
I have one.

I generally like it a lot but it's nothing like an actual Light Gun. It's exactly like a Wii remote, instead. I hope you see the difference.
>>
Also, yeah, you're pretty much forced to use a crosshair.

For games with no crosshair, you have to make sure to always keep your body AND arm exactly like how you calibrated the thing; or else it will be off and there will be a gap bifference your actual body position and the in game shooting.

So yeah it's nothing like an actual Light Gun, but I think it's a decent workaround for when you don't have choice. Also make sure to check the compatibility list for PS2 games, personaly I only used it for RE Dead Aim and Vampire Night on PS2; I have mostly used it for PC games and emulation.
>>
Am I alone in thinking at first that OP had somehow managed to make a taser relevant to a post on /vr/?
>>
>>2793210
>>For games with no crosshair, you have to make sure to always keep your body AND arm exactly like how you calibrated the thing; or else it will be off and there will be a gap bifference your actual body position and the in game shooting.
I couldn't get anything close to a good calibration with it, I think I move my arm around too much. Maybe if you're just using your wrist you could use it without a crosshair.

Given how easy it was to set up my Act-labs gun, I'm honestly a little shocked that people go for the newer LCD based stuff. It's more expensive, doesn't work that well, and you can't even really use it well on LCDs because they're all widescreen.

The only hassle is that my CRT has to be the primary monitor, but for any arcade cab/dedicated emulation box, that wouldn't be an issue. Also, the guns are pretty rare given they aren't being made anymore, you have to wait a few months for one to pop up on eBay. One retard is selling the S-video version, which is worthless, for over 200 bucks.
>>
File: lethal enforcers.jpg (83 KB, 821x397) Image search: [Google]
lethal enforcers.jpg
83 KB, 821x397
>>2792987
I've been playing pic related and the sequel on my TV, but noticed the very edges of the screen don't pick up the shots every time.
>tfw no pink gun
>tfw nobody to play with even if I had it
>>
>>2793259
>I couldn't get anything close to a good calibration with it, I think I move my arm around too much. Maybe if you're just using your wrist you could use it without a crosshair.

Honestly, if you really want to have a spot-on calibration (as in actual physical gun matching the on screen shooting) it can take a little effort to calibrate it and also make sure you play exactly where you calibrated it (arm placement included) and yeah, use your wrist to move the gun.

When playing Dead Aim or Vampire Night sometimes I'd just get pissed off and play getting used to the gap I was having with the game.
Like you know, you can't get up take a piss or take a drink unless you make sure you sit down -exactly- where you were. Fuck this.
This gun is really mostly meant for games with crosshairs really.
>>
>>2793267
Yeah, I like keeping my wrist straight and moving at the elbow, half the fun is treating it like a real gun. For me, crosshairs defeat the whole point, there are a lot of places where you have to get rewarded for making long, accurate shots, and it feels so good to nail a flying vampire in the face from half a mile away.
>>
>>2792987
I have one, they are awesome. They dont work EXACTLY like a lightgun, but once you get used to it you wont know the difference. You can use a wiimote too, that might be a cheaper option.
>>
>>2793069
>Act-labs
wish I had their Force Feedback racing wheel
>optional 8 gear H-shifter with a lot of shifter gate options
>in 1999
>>
>>2793302
They're the only company that ever really bothered making a PC light gun, I guess because without emulation there's only like half a dozen games you can play. But that's still more than a lot of consoles.

I was honestly a little surprised that it all worked on Win 7. And with analog DVI ports still fairly common place, I might actually be able to play stuff like Time Crisis 4 or Gal Gun when the PS3 gets emulated, because I couldn't bare to even bother with the guncon 3.
>>
>>2792987
you've heard wrong, they work well
>>
>>2793262
i got the same problem with borders, is part from the tv curved screen and the gun, my gun-con2 works fine but my other light gun only works fine at 20 cm
>>
>>2792987
Yes. Many people have used a wiimote as a light gun. They suck.
You heard wrong about real light guns not working on flat screen CRTs.

>>2793058
If you can disable the line doubler light guns will work if not, not. I don't know about that exact TV, some wegas can some can't
>>
>>2792987
I have wide-screen, flat CRT and both zapper and guncon works perfectly on it since its still SD and not HD tv.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.