[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any "weird" RPGs before Mother 1?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 18
Are there any "weird" RPGs before Mother 1?
>>
Richard Garriot's Anal Escapes VII
>>
>>2792094
Depends if you consider text adventures to be rpgs. Outside of that, I can't think of any but it's not my area of expertise. JRPGs didn't exist long before mother and crpgs were still very basic. Mother was pretty much the first break from the D&D formula.
>>
>>2792204
"I can't think of any but it's not my area of expertise"

"Mother was pretty much the first break from the D&D formula"

Yeah, I guess that makes sense.
>>
>>2792221
I'm not familiar with 80s crpgs. Jrpgs and tabletop, yes, but crpgs never did it for me. We are talking about a time when D&D was still in its youth and even sci fi was a bit of a rarity on the digital and traditional side of things. Hope that clears up what I was trying to say.
>>
>>2792232
Sorry, this hasn't cleared up anything. Are you saying D&D was primitive by the end of the 80's? Are saying sci-fi was rare in the 80s? Please explain.
>>
>>2792094
what constitutes "not weird?"
>>
>>2792246
Aw give him a break. We should be badgering the OP about what the fuck "weird" means and what's so "weird" about Mother.
>>
File: vr.jpg (58 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
vr.jpg
58 KB, 300x300
>mother/earthbound fans
>>
>>2792259
>what's so "weird" about Mother.

It's a game where you play as a kid who fights coffee mugs. Weird typically means unconventional or unexpected.
>>
>>2792246
I'm saying jrpgs were straight fantasy with rare exception and the thing that spawned it all was still in early editions. There was sci fi, but mother isn't the kind of sci fi you were seeing in vidya. I can't speak for CRPGs but I haven't seen much that wasn't a tolkien ripoff. Feel free to prove me wrong though, it shouldn't be hard.
>>
>>2792273
>Future setting
>Where you play as a kid
>And do a bunch of stupid time wasting bullshit
....Space Quest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH-NmmPFWv0
>>
File: tit.png (6 KB, 639x399) Image search: [Google]
tit.png
6 KB, 639x399
>>2792204
I guess you never heard of Do Dutchwives Dream of Electric Eels.
>>
File: fountain-of-dreams_9.gif (19 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
fountain-of-dreams_9.gif
19 KB, 640x400
>>2792259
The sequel to Wasteland is pretty damn weird.
I didn't play it, and heard bad reviews, but don't want to discuss to avoid spoiler. (besides, I don't trust reviews to reflect my own tastes)
>>
File: escape-from-hell_4.png (9 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
escape-from-hell_4.png
9 KB, 320x200
How about those horror RPGs? Elvira series, Waxworks, etc.
>>
survival, or post-apocalypse:
Scavengers of The Mutant World
Visions of Aftermath: The Boomtown
Robinson's Requiem
>>
File: space-1889_6.gif (30 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
space-1889_6.gif
30 KB, 640x400
Space 1889 (it's not your typical Space Opera fare).
>>
File: starsaga-back.jpg (483 KB, 1144x1136) Image search: [Google]
starsaga-back.jpg
483 KB, 1144x1136
>>2792940
Now this one is more Space Opera, but the game mechanics and presentation are different enough from others to be interesting. Basically the computer is only used at a minimal level, to handle all the rules minutia and accounting that takes place in an RPG session. But the actual scenario is all on printed booklets (many hundreds of pages of individual paragraphs/situations). And the game is designed to be played by up to 6 people, just like a regular pen & paper RPG (although you can apparently play solo too). There's no gamemaster, because the computer and printed material replaces him.
>>
File: eamon_7.png (3 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
eamon_7.png
3 KB, 640x400
While many of the scearios for Eamon were typical medieval-fantasy fare, there were also other themes. Around 250 different scenarios exist, but you'll need to play the Apple II version in order to experience them all (only a subset were ported to other platforms).
>>
>>2792259
Even today it's 'weird' for a JRPG in the sense that it takes place in a modern setting. Most JRPGs still take place in fantasy or sci-fi settings even today, I can't think of many others. Live a Live is an exception which is also on SNES, I guess, and Earthbound fans tend to like it. For a more modern example, I guess Ni No Kuni is technically set in the present day, but most of the game takes place in a fantasy environment so I'm hesitant to count it, since that also means FFTA technically counts as a game set in modern times.

Weird dialogue and enemies are more common in JRPGs though. Even Final Fantasy games have some really weird enemies, like the killer houses you fight in FFIX.
>>
File: mission-mainframe_10.png (4 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
mission-mainframe_10.png
4 KB, 640x400
Sort of a roguelike game (actually it's a Wizard's Castle clone, which itself was medieval-fantasy themed).
>>
>>2792204
>Mother was pretty much the first break from the D&D formula

There were some sci-fi JRPGs before that.
>>
>>2792663
Muh vn sense is tingling.

>>2792979
True. I don't want to sound like I'm moving goal posts but I already said up the thread that it's not your usual sci fi. More speculative fiction or magical realism. It feels like modern folklore. I really only meant to imply that it was one of the first fantasy RPGs that wasn't a blatant Tolkien ripoff dungeon crawling wizardry clone. Just a casualized dq clone. I cant really decide if its fantasy or sci fi.
>>
>>2792961
I remember wanting to order all those scenarios and other public domain games sent to me on floppy from ads in Apple magazines as a kid.

Still have never played an Eamon game.
>>
>>2792260
So weird and deep.
>>
File: dutchwives.png (11 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
dutchwives.png
11 KB, 640x400
>>2793078
It's not your ordinary Bishoujo parser adventure. You roll your stats in the beginning and then roam the city looking for girls and money.
>>
>>2793078
>I cant really decide if its fantasy or sci fi.
Then you don't know your literary sub-genres just like you don't know your video game genres.

We usually consider the "literary" genre of a game to be its setting. Mother is a sci-fi jrpg. There were others before it. It uses surreal themes and a child protagonist. There were games like that before it. What you're looking for is "more Earthbound" and there are three 20 hour games which is MORE than enough.

tl;dr You ARE moving goalposts and you ARE a fucking Earthbound fanboy which is just the worst kind of retro gamer.

This is now officially a thread where we post games that did Earthbound shit better than Earthbound before Mother 1.
>>
Ultima 1
It had phasors, balrogs, tie fighters, time machines, space shuttles, aircars and more.
>>
File: spacequest3-5.gif (25 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
spacequest3-5.gif
25 KB, 640x400
>>2792335
Roger is not a kid. Great games though and I wish they got more love. SQ III is my favorite.
>>
File: 1440450838770.jpg (93 KB, 650x673) Image search: [Google]
1440450838770.jpg
93 KB, 650x673
>>2792094
Phantasy Star, only the first one. It was just one big chain reaction of silly things.
>Buy an ice crusher to crush iced mountains to move through
>Kill a dragon in a maze behind a mountain that looks like every other mountain
>Dragon had a jewel, now it's time to bring it to some creep at the top of some tower, he gives you a torch for it.
>Crush mountains again
>Use the torch to melt ice off a tree
>Tree had some nuts. You can't keep those until you have a special jar.
>Go to the other tower and aim to the top.
>Now you're on the roof and can't do anything.
>You will be able to see the uber secret castle of your main enemy, but only when you have a special prism.
>Now it's time to use the mentioned nuts to feed your talking cat.
>It grows wings.
>Let's fly to the castle fighting dragons on the way
And it goes on for eternity.
>Also, Cola and Burgers are healthy
>Beggers in those poor villages ask only for 'sparing a cup of cola'.
>>
>>2792260
>>mother/earthbound fans
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/mother/mother2.htm
>>
File: Mystic Ark_00021.jpg (14 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Mystic Ark_00021.jpg
14 KB, 256x224
Mystic Ark
>>
Is this weird enough?
>>
Honestly Ultima was really fucking weird.
>>
>>2793767
>before Mother 1
???
>>
File: 8tnu0100000104z2.jpg (95 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
8tnu0100000104z2.jpg
95 KB, 480x272
Maybe not that weird, but interesting. I wish I could read moon
>>
>>2792916
Always wanted to play this. Florida seems like an obvious location for a hellish wasteland.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.