[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decided to play all of Quintet's SNES games. Played Actraiser,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: soulblazer-6.png (15 KB, 256x223) Image search: [Google]
soulblazer-6.png
15 KB, 256x223
Decided to play all of Quintet's SNES games. Played Actraiser, it was pretty fun overall. The city-builder segments were interesting at first, but became increasingly tedious. Now I'm playing Soulblazer, what a weird concept - restoring buildings and people to the towns as you progress through the dungeons. Is the Master in this game supposed to be the same as the one in Actraiser?
>>
Even though SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma are known as a trio the only two Quintet games that are related are the two Actraisers.
>>
>>2790295
Why are they considered a trio? Just because they're the same genre by the same company, kind of like how Demon Souls and Bloodbourne are considered part of the same "set?"

How is Robotrek?
>>
>>2790329

It's dope, can be a grind at bosses though.
>>
>>2790329
There are small cameos like gaia (even though it's a vastly different deity in each installment), you fly over south cape (starting town in illusion of gaia) at the end of terranigma, vaguely similar characters or themes such as the recreation of a deceased world, etc.
>>
>>2790349
>cape town
Fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Gi8Lto6zU
>>
Also, if you're playing Terranigma do yourself a favor and apply the NTSC patch to fix the 15% slowdown from the 50hz PAL version.
>>
I always pictures The Master looking like Shelong from DBZ.
>>
Soulblazer kind of reminds me of Mystic Ark. How each world is kind of separate, and some of them are a little weird (the lab, the animal forest).
>>
>>2790329

They're considered a trio by pretentious idiots with too much time on their hands, who are so desperate to convince themselves that these aren't mediocre games that they've read way more meaning into a few lame cameos than there ever was reasonably intended.
>>
>>2790291
Just finished soul blazer for the first time two days ago. I thought it was a really good game and loved the concept. Kinda reminded me of dark cloud 2 in some ways. I'm gonna try Actraiser next I think.
>>
>>2790291
>Is the Master in this game supposed to be the same as the one in Actraiser?
"Master" is just God in Japanese. So in that sense yeah, it's the same kind of God and the Blazer is his angel. According to the devs, all Quintet games sans Robotrek are linked in a thematic way. Plot-wise there's no way that the Master can be the EXACT same in ActRaiser and Soul Blazer, though, since the entire cosmology and setting of the games is totally different. So it's just kinda a thematic evolution regarding what the writer thinks God is or behaves like, which becomes increasingly dualistic which each game. It's pretty cool to see how his writing evolves.

Each game is pretty self-contained with the exception of ActRaiser 2 (did you play that?).

>>2790291
>what a weird concept - restoring buildings and people to the towns as you progress through the dungeons
If I recall correctly, the writer said in an interview that he wanted play around with this idea that in games you just destroy things and win. He wanted to make you create the world around you so it'd be more meaningful to you. This concept is dropped in Illusion of Gaia (which wasn't 100% written by Quintet) but gains full steam in Terranigma. I think it's a pretty neat mechanic/plot idea.

>>2790329
Robotrek has awesome gameplay. The story is simple and a bit nonsensical, but that's on purpose. It feels quite unlike any other Quintet SNES game since it's so lighthearted and kiddy, but the gameplay is solid and has tons of customization options. Play it if you enjoy good RPG battle systems. I only recently played it with no nostalgia at all and loved it, the gameplay really carries that game.

Also don't forget to follow >>2790357's advice if you ever want to play Terranigma.
>>
>>2791493
Thanks for the info. I just finished Soul Blazer, so I started Actraiser 2 a bit. It seems much harder than the platforming in the first game.
>>
terranigma is one of the best games on the snes
>>
>>2791263
I wanted so badly to like Mystic Ark, the concept intrigued me and Lux Tizer (FUCK YEAH, LUX TIZER), but God damn, it tried as hard as possible right from the beginning to make me hate it. Pirate cats, fetch quests, ridiculously difficult fights, and then I kept getting into vampire encounters at the Witch's Tower. Vampire beats the shit out me, heals up to full. Two vampires? That's a game over right there.
>>
>>2792061
I vaguely remember the first world being pretty annoying, I think it's probably the least interesting world (two warring factions, a witch in a tower). If you're playing on an emulator and feel under-leveled, I'd recommend using the turbo button to speed through some random encounters outside of a town until you gain 2-3 levels.

I forget what the vampire enemies are like, but they might be worth running from them? Also maybe you should bring lots of items to heal between battles.

Lux is great, I played as him in 7th Saga and made him a party member in Mystic Ark.
>>
>>2790357
Question!
Can I apply this patch to any version or does it only work with the UK release?

>>2790291
So far I played only three games. I liked Soul Blazer, the resurrection mechanic was addictive. But besides that it was rather plain.
Didn't really like Illusion of Gaia. Mostly everything was still plain, but now it was lacking the awesome resurrection mechanic.
I liked ActRaiser 2 since it looks great and it is quite challenging. Though I prefer to play it on easy, the enemy placement on normal is really shit.
>>
>>2793414
I'm pretty sure this is with any PAL version (in this case, that means any version not Japanese).

There's also a font patch you may or may not want to consider; the translation's font is huge and it results in a lot of unnecessary scrolling.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.