[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shouls I play N64 games in 240p or 480i?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
I am going to buy 7 N64 virtual console games

Mario 64
Pilotwings
F Zero X
Wave Race
Mario Tennis
Sin and Punishment
Oggre Battle

I already have Ocarina and Majora in the Gamecube Collection, and got Star Fox and Paper Mario as Club Nintendo rewards.

I dont know if I should buy them on my Wii to play them in 240p (I have it connected to a crt), or if it is fine to buy them on the Wii U in Wii Mode and play them in 480i, I can connect the Wii U to the crt with the wii component cables.
IIRC, the highest resolution of the N64 was 480i with s video, so 480i with component cables may still be fine.

also, I would suck monster cocks for Goemon, the star wars games and Mischief makers in the virtual console.

I am not using the Wii U n64 virtual console because I read the input lag is awful.
>>
>buying from the the feeShop
Good lord.
>>
All of these games are 240p originally
>>
>>2790287

This topic and question is why /vr/ should be deleted.
>>
>>2790287
n64 seldom used 480i even in games that required the expansion pack. it was mostly used for menus and cutscenes.
>>
>>2790287
Doesn't matters.
They're 3D games.
>>
>buy
>>
>>2790476
But muh authenticity! But muh creator's intent!
>>
>>2791003
It's just a resolution
If it really renders them to a higher res then go for it
If it's just an upscale then stick to 240p

Although it's 480i and not 480p then you might probably wanna stick with 240p anyways since interlaced is more flicker-y
>>
>>2791003
>>2791160
some, not all, 3d games do actually look best at the intended res though. in particular if they use a lot of billboarding like mario 64 or even more famously mario kart 64 where all drivers are billboards. the fact that it's using billboards becomes painfully obvious at higher resolutions.

also sometimes an argument can be made for higher resolutions not suiting some low-poly 3d models, but that stuff isn't nearly as convincing an argument as the billboarding one.
>>
>>2790550
pc mustard race pirating amirite?
>>
>>2790287
>I dont know if I should buy them on my Wii to play them in 240p

Nope, Mario 64 on VC runs at an inflated 640x480, this means 480i no matter what. If you want to play Mario 64 on 240p you would have to get an actual N64.
>>
>>2790287
OP, N64 games on the VC run at either 480i or 480p, depending on your settings. There is no way to run them at 240p. >>2791183 has it right. If you want 240p, you gotta go with the real thing, and enjoy that sweet, sweet vaseline filter on every single game.
>>
>>2791329
>sweet vaseline filter

man nothing helps to make it look like that, fucking emulators, the low poly 3D and the shitty sprites really clash at higher res without proper filtering.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.