[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RGB Scart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: NESRGBCompare09 - large.jpg (142 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
NESRGBCompare09 - large.jpg
142 KB, 1920x1080
Hey,

Do any of you have experience with RGB Scart?

In particular, I am noticing my N64 RGB Scart doesn't look so great on a 50 inch 1080p. I think I may need to sit farther away from it, but I also just think a 50 inch is just too big for the N64 at 1080p.

Do you guys have any recommendations LED TV wise for RGB Scart?

I was thinking of getting a 30 inch 1080p TV for my retro RGB gaming.

I wanted to note that this is only an issue with 3D systems. 2D systems look great on any size TV.
>>
Stop being an autist and just play the fucking game.

this is for all of you out there
>>
>>2790227
It doesn't look that good and I get field of view sickness on the 50 inch.
>>
I've got to ask:
Is your N64 actually modded for RGB output?
By default, all you're going to get out of it over SCART is composite.
>>
>>2790232
Yes, because if it wasn't modded for Scart it wouldn't output through a scart cable, would it?
>>
>>2790238
I said modded for RGB, not SCART.

SCART is just a connector, and one that can carry multiple types of signals at that.
Even if you're using an RGBSCART cable, if the console itself isn't modded for RGB output, the TV will just use the composite signal(there to provide sync for RGB) and display it as such.

Unless you've explicitly had it modded, no N64 will output RGB.
Composite and S-Video, sure, but no RGB.
>>
>>2790238
Of course it would it would just output composite, and you've already been told.

Also what the fuck is field of view sickness?
>>
>>2790241
I bought it from a guy who does RGB mods on Ebay and had all positive feedback. I sincerely think the TV is just too large for the 240p output. I think that's what it outputs with RGB, right?

Anyway, when I first got it converted/upscaled, I was shocked at how bad it looked compared to my TurboGrafx 16 RGB.
>>
>>2790247
The N64 certainly doesn't have that great of a picture even with RGB; I wouldn't be surprised if blowing it up so large just amplifies that several times over.
There are a number of people out there that suggest that N64 really needs to be played on a smaller screen to look decent, so getting something nothueg may help it somewhat.
If you're just depending on the TV's built in scaling hardware, that could also be effecting picture quality.
>>
>>2790242
It's when the field of view is too narrow or you're too close to a large image that's very narrow and you get sick.
>>2790259
This is what I'm using
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D86UYBS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I think that solid shapes/colors like on a 8 bit or 16 bit system look sharp and nice upscaled, but 3D must not.

I was wondering if a 30 inch 1080p would be better for this.
>>
S-video is good enough. The difference of going from s-video to rgb isn't very big.
>>
>>2790293
I think you missed where I said I already bought the rgb n64
>>
No modern TV scales retro consoles well. Certainly not with a scart input.
>>
heavy anti aliasing makes N64 video output, even with RGB, look like shit

supposedly the HDMI mod that's coming out soon has something that does a good job of undoing some of the anti-aliasing, but it introduces a frame of lag
>>
I don't live in the US. About 85% of my electronics use RGB by default, so yes, you could say I have some experience in it.
>>
>>2790365
My old folks still watch movies using a SCART RGB on a HDTV and it looks more than decent, surprisingly. Consoles look a bit grainy but most are still kinda ok (Saturn and Megadrive are, at least) compared to composite which is a sorry mess. Biggest issue is some simply don't work on newer TVs (never could get my MasterSystem working on the set, but a Megadrive in SMS mode would work fine).
>>
>>2790389
You have low standards.
>>
>>2790364

No, I ignored it. My message is for everybody to read because it's true.
>>
In general, RGB gaming on a N64 requires a smaller 1080p TV, and more distance.

If it's 50 inches, you want to be like 15 feet away.
>>
>>2790626
Or you can get a proper scaler.
>>
>>2790628
Whats the scaler you'd get?
>>
>>2790642
fraMEMEister
>>
>>2790642
I use a XRGB3.
>>
>>2790293
In Europe S-Video is really uncommon. I don't think I've ever even seen an S-Video cable, whereas it's easy to get an RGB cable for like £10, unless it's a console that doesn't output RGB like the NES or N64, both of which nearly nobody here actually bought anyway.
>>
I always love these sorts of "broad-spectrum" video signal comparison screenshots like OP has used. We really should have an entire thread devoted to nothing else sometime.
>>
Thinking about looking at a 64 on a 50 inch is triggering me right now

I imagine its like trying to look at a puddle of spilled oil paints after being maced
>>
>>2790384
Actually HDMI won't do shit but show crisper blurriness on the 64.
>>
>>2790928

>triggering

Get the fuck out.
>>
>>2790217
240p console are basically guaranteed to look like shit on a HD screen whatever the type of signal. Your best options are getting/using a SD CRT screen or getting a xrgb and outputting the signal through that to your HD screen
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.