[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best games to emulate on Android?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: john-gbc-lite-v1.31-2.jpg (61 KB, 480x800) Image search: [Google]
john-gbc-lite-v1.31-2.jpg
61 KB, 480x800
What are the best games to emulate on phones? The buttons are a bitch so games like platformers are difficult.

I know turn-based RPGs are best, but what games do you enjoy?
>>
>>2789780
Probably Pokémon. But lately I just play a random game for about ten minutes until I get pissy at pressing virtual buttons.
>>
>>2789829
I've played the shit out of Pokemon. I was hoping for a few besides that, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound.
>>
When I did, I played Pokémon.

Might play the English patches of SMT soon on my cell, since my psp shits the bed at snes emulation
>>
>>2789780
RPGs, puzzles, and other turnbased fare only need apply. Catrap runs especially well with a dumb touch d-pad for GB. Check the Obscure JRPG thread.

>>2789829
Remember to get hacks like Crystal Emu Edition that enable playing the full game without trades. Linking isn't very fun on a PC emulator, let alone mobile.
>>
>>2789921
I think there's a couple exceptions to this. Sonic works well for the most part because hold right to go fast. I've also had some success with racing games that don't have sliding or powerups meaning you don't figit too much with buttons, like GT2 or Top Gear.

All in all though, platformers and action intensive games=get a fucking controller.
>>
I just finished the first chapter of Corpse Party. It was pretty okay, but I had to redo the one chase sequence like 5 times
>>
>>2789780
Playing Final Fantasy 1 again
>>
>>2789838
The lack of physical feedback from touch screen controls make it hard to play anything that isn't turn-based, unfortunately. It's mostly Pokemon and other JRPGs.
>>
Why would you torture yourself with that when you can play PS1 games on PSP with accurate emulation programmed by Sony themselves with full knowledge and spec of the PS1's hardware?
>>
>>2789876
I don't even play any games, you faggot. I only use emulators. Back to your mom's basement, autist.
>>
>>2789926
I do have a controller for emulators on my pc. But for a phone it seems pointless. I'm not gonna bring a controller with me.
>>
>>2789986
Cause I'm not gonna buy a PSP. I can play those games on my pc.
>>
>>2789921
Any suggestions for which hack to use? I'd love to play when where I can get all the pokemon without trading. I've heard hacks have bugs and shit though. Are there any that dont?

Thank you.
>>
>>2790016
Crystal Emu Edition is pretty much your minimal experience. No bugs, it just has everything working as it should and even restores the original Celebi event. You get the birds through trades though.

Pure Silver has things done a little differently, using the actual lore to make some quests for the excluded Pokemon. Pretty nifty, but it's Silver so no Battle Tower.

For the R/B remakes, FireRed 251 does this plus some other fixups to the badly ported Gym Leaders. Remember to read the readme because there are some minor changes which are important. Like replacing Sabrina's Venomoth and the Blaine change.
>>
>>2790045
Thanks, dude! I really appreciate it!
>>
>>2789780
>platformers are difficult

Not all of them are. Sonic works really well. Check out the ports of Sonic CD, 1, and 2. Touch controls are better than most of the ones provided by emulators, they have widescreen and other enhancements, they're great.

Bean's Quest isn't a port or emulation, but it's a platformer that takes advantage of the platform with two-button controls. Rayman Jungle Run and Fiesta Run are auto-runners, but don't confuse them for something like Temple Run, Sonic Dash, or Sonic Runners. Unlike literally everything else out there, they aren't randomly generated infinite runners with xp and timers and shit; they have proper level design.

I've been playing GTA III on my Note 5 lately. I was skeptical about even bothering, but it didn't take too long to get used to the controls (you can use analog steering and accelerometer steering, but honestly I found neither method to work that well, despite enjoying accelerometer steering in Real Racing 3, and just use the default digital "keyboard" steering). The controls aren't perfect, but they're not as bad as you think, and it's so relaxing to play GTA III on my phone. The worst of it is that shooting on foot just has you shoot the closest person, you'll be standing next to a vehicle and your character will just shoot off to the right. Also cycling weapons can be annoying. All in all, I'd say your mileage may vary but if you like GTA I'd give it a shot.

Minecraft can keep you busy forever, unless you don't like that sort of thing. Same with Principia. Check out Beloko's ports on Amazon. D-Touch, Q-Touch, Q2-Touch, RTCW-Touch. That's Doom, Quake, Quake 2, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Maybe check out the port of Dragon Quest IV. They actually went to the effort of translating the party chat this time. Unlike the DS ports of V and VI, the port of IV had the whole feature cut from the localized DS version.

As far as emulation, I might suggest King's Field 1-3, Azure Dreams, and Phantasy Star IV.
>>
>>2790060
Fuckin awesome post! Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm gonna take a look at these! I hate autorunners, so those others are good options.
>>
Fire and Ice on NES
Advance Wars on GBA/NDS
WarioWare on GBA/NDS
Lots of NDS that involve mostly reading and clicking like Phoenix Wright or 999 (sorry not retro)

Those are the only games I can tolerate with virtual controllers. For anything else, I either connect it to a DS3 with a stand, or I take my PSP instead.
>>
OutRun on Genesis has provided far more hours of entertainment for me than I'd like to admit

I also beat the first Castlevania and have gotten to Elec-man in the first Mega-Man on my phone but I don't think you want to be like me
>>
>>2789780
Other than point and click games, nothing. Don't torture yourself. Scummvm shit mostly.
>>
Just get a bluetooth controller. Without it I won't game at all on my phone. Games just suck on touch screens. Even games I thought were ok on Touchscreens, like Raiden Legacy, got 100% better after getting the controller.

Just say no to touch screen games.
>>
File: 10064152410.jpg (97 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
10064152410.jpg
97 KB, 640x480
People generally answer "RPGs" for this, such as DQ in the OP's image, but what you really want are SRPGs.
That's because in standard RPGs you're going to get annoyed when you accidentally move too far or in the wrong direction and trigger random encounters (or run into monsters you didn't mean to in non-random games).
But SRPGs interfaces are usually 100% moving cursors around with no actions occurring until you confirm them.
>>
Unless you're sitting down and able to use both hands, you're best off with RPGs. You may as well not bother emulating non-handheld games on your phone, too.

Just load up the Gameboy and GBA library and rummage through it. Eventually you'll find more than enough games to blow some time that you might not have touched if you were emulating on your computer.
>>
File: FE5.003.png (33 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
FE5.003.png
33 KB, 256x224
>>2789780
I've been playing fire emblem thracia 776 on my android and it's going great. Basically anything that isn't an action platformer. Rpgs work the best
>>
>>2789780
Tactical RPGs (TRPGs/SRPGs) like Fire Emblem, Langrisser, Front Mission, and Tactics Ogre games. Those are the only games I've found tolerable with the touch screen (aside from Battle for Wesnoth which is great).

>>2791534
Stop arena grinding.
>>
>>2790604
Any recommendations?
>>
>>2792357
Off the top of my head:
>Fire Emblem, start with either the self-titled one on GBA (because it has a fuckhuge tutorial) or Mystery of the Emblem.
>Warsong/Langrisser, all that you can read
>Shining Force, all of them
>Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1, or PSP/mobile if you can run it and like the localization. Just beware the problems with mobile, read reviews first.)
Tactics Ogre, SNES fan-translated or PSP then Knight of Lodis.
>Super Robot Wars, you might want to start with the Original Generation games on GBA as they were the only officially localized ones.
>Bahamut Lagoon
>Treasure Hunter G
>>
>>2792378
Oh, and Vandal Hearts.
>>
>>2789780
Visual novels, turn based strategy, and point and click adventure games.
>>
>>2789780
Get a Moga Pocket. Best $11 spent.
>>
>>2790060
>Check out Beloko's ports on Amazon. D-Touch, Q-Touch, Q2-Touch, RTCW-Touch. That's Doom, Quake, Quake 2, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
hmmm interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM5KpA1e5NQ

^Has anybody tried using Doom D-Touch on Android? Looks like it controls well.
>>
File: dobe-mobile-clamp-2.jpg (39 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
dobe-mobile-clamp-2.jpg
39 KB, 600x600
>>2789780
See >>2792492

I just use a DS4 and a clamp to hold my phone. I use Sixaxis to pair the two, but the clamp I have also has a micro usb cable to connect the two together. Carrying it around isn't a big deal, since I never go out without a bag anyway.
>>
>>2793329
Yeah they're all amazing. Too bad some jew reported him for something and he got kicked off the play store. Now he's on amazon
Dude should have open sourced it and put his stuff on F-droid
>>
Playing in portrait;No wonder the controls suck
>>
>>2790045
I can't seem to find the Pure Silver hack, the only potential source I found is dead

Any help?
>>
>>2793483
F-droid?
>>
>>2793329
I'm the one who suggested them to you. I have all of them and have tried all of them. They take some getting used to, but they work surprisingly well. Doom is the easiest to play since you don't need vertical aiming, and RTCW is the hardest.

Speaking of hardest, you probably don't want to play on a harder difficulty unless you get super good with the controls. You can also use a controller, I'm not sure if you can use a keyboard and mouse but I wouldn't be surprised if you could, since it's built on top of a straight up port of GZDoom (as well as PrBoom and Chocolate).

RTCW is a fascinating technical achievement. Beloko is really good.

I just play with the touch controls. Sometimes it can get too awkward and chaotic and it's hard to do what I want, but after you get used to swiping from the center of the screen and memorize which way to swipe for each weapon, weapon switching is super quick and easy. It can be tricky aiming while you're firing with the defaults, but if you don't like it you can customize the controls to a heavy degree. You can add an extra custom button to fire, or set it up so you can double tap and hold the left side to start firing and then aim with the right side.

In short, Beloko's source ports are about as good as touch controls in these games could ever get.
>>
File: zgx1hpls.jpg (56 KB, 337x334) Image search: [Google]
zgx1hpls.jpg
56 KB, 337x334
You guys should get yourselves the Carmageddon Android port. It's pretty good. Of course you won't get the degree of controls as with normal controls but it's still more than playable.

If you think I'm a shill, here's the torrent I used:
https://kat.cr/carmageddon-1-1-270-android-t7576314.html

If you haven't ever played this game, I highly recommend you do.
>>
File: unnamed.png (1 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
1 MB, 1600x900
You should download ePSXe, it's da emulator for ps1 on android; the best one for android, srsly

and you can download da rooms on coolrom.com
>>
>>2793719
I forgot about this. I have it from Humble Bundle. I've never been a big Carmageddon fan, but I think it actually controls more intuitively than struggling with the awkward keyboard control scheme.
>>
WarioWare actually works really well which I was surprised to find out since that game requires a lot of fast movement and thinking. It works pretty well though
>>
>>2793785
nah it controls way better on keyboard m8
but its still good. also why would your keyboard control scheme be 'awkward' when you can simply remap them anyway?
>>
>>2791543
In that game, I don't blame him. I used the arena mostly for $$$ though
>>
>>2793860
To be honest, I spent my time trying to map a controller, but didn't care enough to make it work well. The Android version "just werks".
>>
>>2793738
Shitposting aside, ePSXe on Android is actually really good and works outside of the box unlike the original. If you can't work with Retroarch (some can't because of crashing etc) this is the best one on the platform.
>>
>>2793937
RetroArch is so fucking sad that I'd rather pay Robert Broglia's ridiculous prices than use RetroArch for free.

Thankfully SNES9x, Mupen64, PPSSPP, and Reicast are all free without ads. Reicast is pretty bad, it has a poor interface and can barely handle anything, even Sonic Adventure is riddled with graphical and menu bugs, but the others are really well made, especially PPSSPP.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.