[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Langrisser 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
Man this game is some shit.
These niggas tough.

Langrisser thread please?
>>
File: l2_18.jpg (107 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
l2_18.jpg
107 KB, 800x1200
I really like Langrisser but I'm apparently not good at it, so I don't really have much to say except that I like the character designs.
>>
File: FlexItBro.jpg (27 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
FlexItBro.jpg
27 KB, 450x600
>>2788501

That Bodybuilder's face is really doing it for me.
>>
>>2788501
Wait, isn't that Cho Aniki?
>>
>>2790549
Yes.

BE-AU-TI-FUL
>>
The trick with Langrisser is that it really punishes you for finishing a mission with a dead teammate, then they lag behind get no exp and die more.

So you want to be retreating and assaulting with support teams often. You'll find ranged units to generally get strongest since they dont die a lot also tend to finish off enemies.

Absolutely loved Der Langrisser + IV. Super upset that 3 + 5 both aren't translated and probably never will be.
>>
>>2791118
>IV.

I own Warsong on the Mega Drive (aka Langrisser I) as well as I, II & IV for the Saturn. I absolutely love Warsong and the ports of I & II for Saturn but I didn't like IV too much.

I just don't like how turns are determined by a unit's speed(?) instead of there being a player's and enemey's phase.
>>
>>2791141

I think they changed that in the ported version.
I'm fuzzy on the details but I recall there being a standalone version of 4 and then another one that was using 5's engine, which changes some things up. I played the latter one which I think had a more traditional turn order.
>>
>>2791164
If that is true, I guess I need to find that other version. Don't get me wrong, I usually don't mind when turn order is determined by a unit's speed like in Shining Force or Final Fantasy Tactics, but in the version of Langrisser IV that I played, it was a pain in the ass since it made it difficult to keep a general's troops nearby for perks.
>>
>>2791196
Saturn version of IV does that and I think is the only one in the series (never played 3 though), PSX version does Player -> Enemy -> Player Turn

I think most people prefer the Speed version though because it adds more strategy, but hey, if you like non-Speed better than the good news is that the PSX version is the only one translated as well.
>>
>>2791226
If I'm not wrong, its the judgement stat that determines the turn order in Langrisser IV.

The judgement stat is usually fixed based on class, fighter and mage class have better judgement than horse and flying unit, making them slow despite their movement range being higher. (not sure if certain equipment can change judgement stats).

Thats why mage class becomes OP in late game. Faster turns + Strong Command aura + Teleportation + Long range unit = Instant dead commander.
>>
>>2791251
Oh yeah, I think I'm remembering wrong.

The PSX (+Lang V) change is that Merc units follow the same turns as their commander - the Saturn version had them with their own Judgement value which makes synching them up a lot harder.
>>
>>2791254
>The PSX (+Lang V) change is that Merc units follow the same turns as their commander

This sounds great. Now I will have to get the PSX version. I've always simply assumed the Saturn versions were superior. The more you know.
>>
>>2788501
ANIKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
>>2791113
SEXY
DYNAMITE
>>
>>2791265
I suggest you plan your unit ahead. Its going to be terrible if you got your class wrong.

Well, its hard to level up in IV since your turn takes too much time, with all the enemy commander doing nothing if you are not in range, thus having their turn twice before you act again. If you get stuck (I did in first time, being underleveled, use the level select code)

Try getting Route C. Its great.
>>
>>2791280
Oh come now, there shouldn't be any need for that. I have only done the 1 playthrough so other routes may be harder but I just did stuff entirely off the cuff and it was fine and I'm sure certain units of mine were underpowered at times.

Maybe anyone else who's played IV can chime in, did you ever encounter some battles were your job choices or lack of levels screwed you big time?

Oh, there is a dating sim-like friendship level that you might want to plan out, that shit is pretty precise but naturally you'll probably run into spoilers doing that.
>>
>>2791304
Well, It my first one thats why. Its just that Landius always getting killed in a long battle around mid game due to him being a horse class unit. Horse units have strong attack yet have a low judgement and magic resistance. You'll hate those mage standing by, launching fireballs to your face twice before Landius can even act. Angelina has a similar case but she got a better magic resistance, being a flying unit but her judgement is even more horrible than horse type Landius.
>>
>>2788501
Normie Archers are shit in any situation unless you're using them to snipe early enemy flying commanders, but that means losing out on XP.

Ballistas are best ranged units but get rekt by spells.
>>
If you're playing Der Langrisser, it's honestly pretty easy even if you don't cheat and use the level skip code to grind - Erwin + his mercs (usually Phalanxes) could easily beat the game without adding in the other characters.

Not as fun as feeding Hein though, since this has linear warriors/quadratic spellcasters thing where he blows at the start but has some hilarious Meteor power if you get him up.
>>
I've been thinking of getting into this series. Starting with Warsong, obviously.

What's the difficulty like? I'm fairly accustomed to SRPGs. Also, anything I should know before I start?
>>
>>2792174
I'd recommend going straight into Der Langrisser. Warsong is quite a different experience to the rest. As for difficulty it largely depends on what versions you decide to play.

I'd recommend: Der langrisser on SNES and Langrisser IV on PSX, those games in my experience were challenging at times but not overwhelmingly hard, plus they're actually in English.

Things to note:
Characters fall behind if you let them die, so try to retreat often.
The questionnaire at the start of some of the games determines really basic shit that doesn't mean much in the long run - look it up if you want to min\max otherwise don't worry about it.
Some games feature a class upgrade system with branching upgrades. The general rule I used was if it gives you magic and\or a new unit type then take it, regardless of stat difference. YMMV.
Sounds basic but make sure your main character is strong, the game doesn't really do forced 1v1 battles but a lot of times it'll come down to your main character against the boss and you'll want to be ready for that.
Some maps have extra treasure chests or puzzles, do your best to get them since gear is usually a very big boost in strength or more importantly defence.

There are many other nuances to the series but nothing that you wont pick up on the fly, enjoy yourself, I wish I could re-experience these games for the first time.
>>
File: 1456823095487.png (30 KB, 403x466) Image search: [Google]
1456823095487.png
30 KB, 403x466
Don't be fooled by the translation that made up classes, this is how the units work.
>>
>>2792174
>Warsong

It's very easy until you reach the very last stage where you will hit a huge wall of difficulty.
>>
I got extremely bored of this game when I realized that the same exact strategy of range control and bait and switch, rock paper scissors and other such nonsense, was going to win every single battle just like fire emblem, I was always going to have exactly all the tools I needed and every fight would unfold more or less the same, a perfect victory or I would make a mistake.

Endlessly repeating the same kind of puzzle waiting until I make a mistake or not making one and just winning easily.

I can't take it at all
>>
>>2792535
I love when FE fags say "YOU NEED TO CALCULATE YOUR DEATHS LIKE PROBABILITIES AND SHIT" like no one ever reloads the game when their stronger characters die.
>>
>>2792550
Yeah, oddly enough, I feel permadeath makes FE easier in the long run.

In order to balance permadeath, they had very few enemies have any real "killing potential", and you'd have to almost deliberately try to get a unit killed.

Whereas, if there was no permadeath, they could have a lot of powerful enemies, and it wouldn't feel like bullshit.
>>
>>2792560
I agree with this. Games like SRW aren't afraid to pull any punches - in fact, the series is known for having completely bullshit bosses with HP literally off the charts.
>>
>>2792627
Well, SRW has problems of it's own.

Punching bag bosses that just require whatever your strongest moves are isn't very good game design either.

Really, I don't think I've played a SRPG with a consistent difficulty curve. Some start out hard and get easier over time, most start out easy and only get easier.
>>
>>2792637
what about Vandal Hearts

Vanguard Bandits is pretty good about that too
>>
>>2792627
And it forces you to grind every character in order to beat those kinds of bosses.

>recover HP/SP/EN every turn
>unlimited ammo
>range for all attacks greater than any unit you have
>>
>>2789446
I rented Warsong for Genesis when I was a kid and then rented it again just to look at the illustrations in the manual again.
>>
>>2792535
I found quite often I'd be winning a fight only for the enemy to call reinforcements with different unit types and outflank me. I found that to be really enjoyable, I guess were I to replay the game it wouldn't be a surprise anymore but that's what multiple paths are for.
>>
>>2792627
>in fact, the series is known for having completely bullshit bosses with HP literally off the charts.
That was really only a problem with early Winkysoft games which are plain badly designed, from @ things get much more bearable.
>>2792641
The second Vandal Hearts game despite having a few problems with its writing was a very well balanced game, final boss is kind of a cake walk but its first phase can be admittedly mildly dangerous. Great game.
>>
>>2792627
Seriously? Modern SRW has been considered one of the easiest SRPG series
>>
Are there any other SRPG's that even have branching class-paths? They all seem to be close but not quite the same, Tactics Ogre\FFT have job-change systems which aren't quite the same. I read that some versions of Fire Emblem are close, or they usually only have a single upgrade available, ditto for Shining Force.

So, do we know of any that feature some kind of a branching path system like Langrisser? I just want to constantly make decisions about my characters advancement and job-changing tends to bring about differences in playstyle which also keep things fresh.
>>
>>2792964
try Ogre Battle?
>>
>>2792965
That's an RTS, slightly different genre. I suppose I should say Turn-based Tactical RPG.
>>
>>2792969
You're SOL then, all the TRPGs I know of either don't have class changes and stuff like that or you'll end up having only two class changes, that will each happen after ten levels.

if you want constant management of constantly changing units you're gonna have to play Ogre Battle or Etrian Odyssey or something.
>>
>>2792964
As far as /vr/ games go, I can't really think of any.

I know Fire Emblem 8 has it, although the choices when promoting are usually "clearly superior unit" and "clearly inferior unit". Even if you choose the inferior units for everyone, it won't even effect the game that much. Unfortunately, the biggest thing that matters with your units in FE is what weapons they can use.

Can't rely on stats because levelups are random. Sometimes you level up and none of your stats increase at all. What a fantastic system.

Also, in Fire Emblem 8, you get a unit very early that can solo the entire game. Not even exaggerating.
>>
>>2792964
>branching class-paths

If I remember correctly, Vandal Hearts has branching class-paths, doesn't it? It's been a minute since I last played it.
>>
>>2793114
According to the wiki the first game doesn't, it seems to feature story-characters that come with set classes.

The second game sounds more free-form but I still don't understand it, you can change jobs based on your equipment it seems and learning skills is somehow tied to that. It sounds pretty intriguing, can anyone who's played VH2 shed a bit more light on this?
>>
>>2793118
>>2793118
>first game doesn't
I just checked a guide and it seems as if I wasn't completely on the wrong track. For some characters you can choose a path but only once. The second promotion doesn't offer any new path.
>>
>>2792964
Not really retro but I think Battle for Wesnoth has it.

http://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline/en_US/mainline.html
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.