[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if you could revive one failed mascot platformer, as in one that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 16
File: Rocket Knight.png (853 KB, 1024x618) Image search: [Google]
Rocket Knight.png
853 KB, 1024x618
if you could revive one failed mascot platformer, as in one that never hit big leagues in the first place, which would it be
examples: Rocket Knight, Bonk, Ristar, etc.
not examples: Banjo, Crash, Spyro, and other deceased but formerly notable mascots
>>
No retro game deserves to be raped with DLC, pre order incentives, patches, kickstarter, or micro transactions.
>>
>>2787279
Bubsy does.
>>
>>2787274
Alex Kidd
>>
>>2787280
>Bubsy

A side of me wants to see Bubsy get an attempt at a remake via Kickstarter or something.

...And watch it fail miserably.
What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>2787302
http://bubsy3d.com/

This is close enough.
>>
>>2787274
Was Banjo ever that big? He had two good games that never went anywhere, technically on the same level as Sparkster
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 640x480
>>2787274

Kid Chameleon. I LOVED that game.
>>
>>2787356

I see a lot more people remembering Banjo than Sparkster, maybe it's because Sparkster came out in a time when there were lots and lots of good 2D platformer/action games, and Banjo managed to be one of the best or most acclaimed 3D ones behind Super Mario 64.

I think Sparkster is more underrated.
>>
File: 128124_s0.jpg (80 KB, 400x576) Image search: [Google]
128124_s0.jpg
80 KB, 400x576
Probably my favorite old mascot ever, and he got, what, one game and two crossovers?
>>
Not exactly a platformer, but startropics would be nice.:Mike was a mascot in a lot of promotional material. Rocket Knight already got a revival, which was surprising. The problem is the 2d platformer has pretty much been solved and perfected at this point.

>>2787356
Banjo was huge if only for being a Rareware game. It just came near the death of mascot platformers and collectathons. Not siding with M$ execs, but nuts and bolts (really anything) was a better direction than another game in a already dead genre. B-K3 could have done well but would have been a massive flop just as easily. The original audience was already in their late teens or adults and the new generation were halokiddies.
>>
Crash Bandicoot, for sure.

Fuck Activision. I think we should pass a law that prohibits people and corporations from owning the rights to something without actively using it. Crash has been inactive for far too long.
>>
>>2787279
THIS x INFINITY.
>>
>>2787683
I thought the rights were sold to Universal, or I might be thinking of naughty dog games.
>>
>>2787680

The genre itself isn't, or shouldn't be dead. The standard Mario 64 approach, however, is.
>>
>>2787692

Nope, NaughtyDog never owned Crash Bandicoot. Recently, there's a lot of dispute about how much NaughtyDog actually contributed to the creation of Crash Bandicoot design-wise.

Check out Crash Bandicoot - The Untold Story page on Facebook.
>>
What do you guys think of the comebacks we actually got? Like

Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins
Hammerin' Hero
The 3rd Birthday
Rocket Knight Adventures
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
>>
>>2787279
>patches baaad
Yeah, lets never fix problems when they arise.
>>
>>2787693
The last thing to do anything new on the 2d side was Braid. Everything else like shovel knight has just followed the formula. 3D platformers are pretty much dead until the climate supports A and AA titles again, and even then, I feel like people are too jaded for a mascot anything. I agree it shouldn't be dead and has some room to grow on the 3D side, but it is for the moment.

>>2787696
I might.
>facebook
Or not.

I just know that there were two mascot IPs that were sold to universal and then died. I want to say spyro was one of them.
>>
>>2787712
Here's a novel idea. They could just release the game in a working and complete state. Wow!
>>
>>2787284
>Alex Kidd
This so much.
>>
>>2787713

You don't have to do anything new. The only thing you have to do to have an interesting 2D or 3D platformer is with great gameplay, replay value and atmosphere, and maybe throw in a good, but unobtrusive story in there.

You don't have to innovate. Pretty sure most FPS games these days do nothing new, yet people don't grow tired of that shit.

3D platformers died pretty much because everybody wanted to be the new Mario 64. That, and with technology moving forward, developers lost their imagination (how didn't it do the complete opposite?), and didn't want to mimic Mario 64 anymore, but to mimic real life instead.
>>
>>2787715
>implying Super Mario Bros. didn't have bugs
>implying The Legend Of Zelda didn't have bugs
>implying Ninja Gaiden didn't have bugs
>implying Wolfenstein 3D didn't have bugs
>implying Doom didn't have bugs
>implying Goldeneye 64 didn't have bugs
Lets throw the baby out with the bath water!

Do you really want to completely get rid of DLC and the ability to patch games just because there's companies with shitty business practices out there?

What if there's a game which is otherwise finished but a pretty critical bug which wasn't found in testing surfaces after release?
Should that not be fixed because Bethesda does the most barebones of playtesting and release near broken games which they barely patch after launch? Gonna let the shitheads ruin it for everyone?

What if the dev figures out how to make the game run with much better performance? What if there's a compatibility patch that lets the game run with a new piece of hardware or a peripheral?
Should that not be done because "durr release finished game!"

There's a very clear line between not giving a fuck and making a slip-up.
>>
>>2787741
>Do you really want to completely get rid of DLC and the ability to patch games just because there's companies with shitty business practices out there?
Given the choice yes. All it's lead to is shit DLC and games getting released broken.

No retro console game that's actually good has any game breaking bugs and 99% of those games with bugs are shit you have to go out of your way to find/do.
>>
>>2787732
>(how didn't it do the complete opposite?)
Having worked with the field in other capacities, I can tell you that it's because the little talent there is is spread thin. Teams grew massively and most of them are incompetent. Add on the AAA focus and executive demands and you have the current situation. Having hardware limitation and being forced to focus on gameplay was never much of an issue. It was the jews of all races funding the shit. When forumulas came that made big money, they took them and fucked them to death without examining what parts of the formula worked.
>>
>>2787732
3d platformers died because they’re extremely difficult to make well. Camera angles for example.

Which is why today we still only have a handful of truly amazing ones.
>>
>>2787279
>kickstarter
>bad
I honestly don't see the problem as long as the people running it know what the hell they're doing and actually deliver what was promised. I agree with you on everything else.
>>
>>2787753
AAA devs are abusing the shit out of kickstarter.

Then you have shit like what is happening to Red Ash.
>>
>>2787757
Yeah, the guy had to lie of his whole team, but instead he gave them work in form of Red Ash, fuck him!
>>
File: jazz2.jpg (128 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
jazz2.jpg
128 KB, 1024x768
>>2787274
Jazz
Jack
MOTHERFUCKING
Rabbit
>>
File: 1446180572317.png (825 KB, 1229x881) Image search: [Google]
1446180572317.png
825 KB, 1229x881
>>2787757
Extreme minority here, but I actually liked MN9 and am kinda glad Red Ass got funded since it looks like it may be at least decent given the original Legends team is involved. With that said, Inafune is a goddamned idiot in regards to how he handled that campaign, let alone launching it that early in the first place.
>>2787767
>guy had to lie of his whole team, but instead he gave them work in form of Red Ash, fuck him!
What?
>>
>>2787742
I've had good DLC, don't see a reason to get rid of it because there's shit DLC (and not all DLC is on-disk DLC bullshit where you pay to unlock stuff you technically already have, some are like full fledged expansion packs), just as well I don't see a reason to get rid of patches just because some devs are lazy fags.

To me, you're entirely unreasonable.
>>
>>2787274
Aero the Acrobat
>>
>>2787274
I love sparkster but damn I'm glad he died off when he did.

A 3D version for N64/ps1 would've been a nightmare
>>
>>2787768
I so fucking loved the difficulty select screen in that.

Little baby Spaz trying to play with a piranha was so cute.
>>
>>2787274
>formerly notable
fuck you man, I love rocket knight, bonk, and ristar
>>
>>2787749

I really don't see how the camera would be such an issue. I don't know how it works, but it shouldn't be that hard to keep the camera at a constant distance from the character.
>>
>>2788245
Cameras are one of the most difficult things to program and few games do it well, which leads to most games being bad pcshit mouselook third person shooters and even they have major flaws in many games. Middleware has made it better, but it still takes a kind of programming skill most devs lack.
>>
>>2788021
only chubby rocket knight applies
the sparkster redesign sucks
>>
File: goe1459986-festivalv04.png (366 KB, 608x417) Image search: [Google]
goe1459986-festivalv04.png
366 KB, 608x417
>>2787883

what if it was made by the Goemon team on N64?
>>
>>2787274
Goemon
>>
>>2787274
Ristar for sure. He had a coolness to him similar to sonic, and spinning around and launching off the spinner things is hella fun. It's like sonic speed with more freedom of movement
>>
>>2788520
Goemon is/was way to big of a character to be applicable to this thread I think; even if you only go off of the western releases.
>>
File: diddled.png (6 KB, 241x229) Image search: [Google]
diddled.png
6 KB, 241x229
Plok
>>
>>2787712
Patches are fine when they only make them when they absolutely have to.

There's no excuse for a day one patch and then twenty subsequent patches.
>>
>>2787679
Holy shit, you and I would get along my man.
>>
>>2788559
HOLY SHIT SOMEONE ELSE HAS PLAYED PLOK!

It is surprisingly enjoyable.
>>
>>2787302
>...And watch it fail miserably.
>Bubxee Rises
>Bubsy is still a bobcat but is now a gay, black transexual with a gluten allergy
>All enemies in the game have been replaced with bullies, biggots, and shitlords
>No longer about platorming, entire game consists of cutscenes and QTE's as Bubxee takes to the internet in an effort to spread the message of social justice and make the world a more inclusive, safe space for everybody
>Somehow game is still quite glitchy, numerous performance issues, runs at or below 30FPS even on the shitty PC port which is released several years later (and yet still sold at full price)
>Forced to purchase several community mods just to make it function at a basic level
>Always online requires players be connected to the internet and logged in to the manufacterer's web service using a verified Facebook account just to play, despite the game not even having a multiplayer mode
>Day 1, on-disc DLC
>Season passes
>Exclusive pre-order bonuses
>Review embargos
>80% of game's budget secretly spent on massively successful viral marketing campaign on /v/ before, during, and after its launch
>Critically acclaimed for its story, hailed as the next generation of video games by gaming "journalists" everywhere
>Unanimously receives perfect 10/10's scores across the board
>Breaks all previous sales records in the history of vidya
>Voted as both GOTY and GOAT
>>
>>2787679
This.

A beat em up might be a tough sell, wonder if it would end up a hero themed sandbox game or an arkham asylum clone...
>>
>>2788530
He's still more deserving than any of these other garbage characters.
>>
>>2788637

>tfw plok 3d is kill
>>
>>2788650
>massively successful viral marketing campaign on /v/ before, during, and after its launch
Granted, /v/ has pretty shit taste, but I doubt they'd be interested in a game shoveling SJW garbage in their faces, it'd make much more sense if the viraling went on tumblr or reddit where there's communities which will eat that shit up.

I'll congratulate you on making a worse Bubsy game than Bubsy 3D though, didn't think it could be done.
>>
>>2787741
none of the bugs in those retro games hindered 99.9% of people who played them.
>>
>>2788592
Day one patches a shit, true, and I think problems should be fixed in as few patches as possible.

New Vegas was a great game with great DLC, content wise, but for all it's patches, it left so many things undone and and unfixed, what's worse is that some DLC areas had their own awful problems, some problems were even introduced with patches.

To this day, with all the patches and all the DLC, you can corrupt your save if you save outdoors in Big MT, the Lobotomites there WILL slow down the game in your presence, they will deal excessive damage to your armor, if you're on console, this can never be remedied.
A lot of this can be blamed on Bethesda and Zenimax, Obsidian obviously carries blame too, but ultimately they didn't fully put themselves in that boat, Bethesda fucked them, Zenimax fucked them, the game is forever damaged and broken on console.

I love the game for what it is, but I also hate it for what it is, it is so marred with problems and performance issues and is exemplary of some of the worse business practices in the industry when it comes to publishing.
Bethesda could have given them the engine in time like they were supposed to, they could have hired NOT shit programmers to make the engine not shit way back in the beginning, Zenimax could have given them more time to work on the game as well as allow them to publish patches as necessary.
>>
>>2788995
Former marketer, ad man and IO-psych here, anon is actually right. Here's how the viral market and /v/ work.

Viral marketing does real and made me a lot of money. It happens on /v/. I never personally touched it except as a favor to a friend whose game made me hard. Elsewhere, you just plant a seed and someone who likes it will shill it harder than you ever could. Here, it's a little different. All marketers see are the demographics and unique IPs (and your browsing history, thanks capcha) and that shit can get white hot out of nowhere. They don't understand 4chan at all. Some of us are anons and think we do, or do in a way, but no one can really tap it and this is coming from a guy with a wizard degree in memes and and a proven track record memeing at people until they buy something.

The new tactic, one of them, is to make /v/ hate it and play rivalries. You don't even have to take that angle because half the board are easily roused and rused tweens with underdeveloped frontal lobes or redditors who have a different kind of brain damage that makes them capable of browsing reddit. Even those kooky fucks in san fran can afford it because all it takes is one dude with a lot of time on his hands and some government grade identity management software. Still, most "viraling" there is witless stooges unknowingly shilling for us.

Were I not actively sabotaging colleagues doing in my spare time and had I and a majority of my colleagues not blacklisted the kooks, /v/ would be my first stop. To put it in wizard words, /v/ is a glass, darkly. I'd concentrate my powers and concentrate them into a post to identify initial reactions and sift through the pantomime and break out my Domesday ANNO MMXV and chart a figure of the planes of influence. That meets up with some calculus and calcinates into the most vile shitpost you have ever seen. This casts a ripple and easily memed faggots do my work for me. The name is out and words of power are in place and ready to get
>>
>>2788650

How do you make a bobcat "black"?
>>
>>2789281
triggered. Then people buy the shitty game or whatever and I get paid without ever putting pants on. So yeah /v/ is great because no one can shut up about anything.
>>
File: stopposting.png (397 KB, 602x449) Image search: [Google]
stopposting.png
397 KB, 602x449
>>2789281
>All marketers see are the demographics and unique IPs (and your browsing history, thanks capcha)
>>
>>2787274
Rocket Knight actually gotten a reboot shortly after the Bionic Commando Rearmed hype.
>What, you didn't hear about it?
>Exactly.
>>
File: 259.jpg (325 KB, 976x1400) Image search: [Google]
259.jpg
325 KB, 976x1400
>>2787679
>this mango
kek
>>
File: 260.jpg (356 KB, 976x1400) Image search: [Google]
260.jpg
356 KB, 976x1400
>>
>>2788650
I want /v/ to leave.

Why isn't even uttering the letters "SJW" an autoban? it's like shitposting personified, because whatever we're talking about, now we're talking about SJW shit.
>>
>>2792389
>IT'S JUST THE HOBBY OF A BORED RICH GUY

my sides
>>
>>2787742
>No retro console game that's actually good has any game breaking bugs

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Evade_Bug
>>
>>2787284
Came here to post this.
>>
>>2789290
Melanism.
>>
File: gen1.jpg (304 KB, 714x960) Image search: [Google]
gen1.jpg
304 KB, 714x960
>>2787742
>>
>>2792835
That's hardly game- breaking. A major fuck up would be a game like space station silicon Valley wich was literally unable to be completed without cheating iirc.
>>
>>2792878
A couple of these are just bitching about how Pokemon used to be slightly more difficult and that you can't just spam Substitute to be safe from everything.
>>
>>2787274
Rocket Knight had a revival like five years ago and it fucking sucked.
>>
>>2792878
literally who cares. it still my favorite pokemon. never had any problem. you either must be a really bad trainer or really big autist to notice any of these.
>>
>>2792878
I glanced at a few things on that list, but in the end, who gives a fuck. I find the first games to be quite fun and feel they have a pleasing aesthetic and enjoyable gameplay. I still play each new generation of Pokemon (though I haven't played but maybe a few minutes that I can hardly remember of the Gen 3 remakes) but I don't feel that they negate the old ones.
>>
>>2794505
>>2794512
Don't bother he's one of those losers that tries to play a children's game competitively by applying some stupid meta game the creators never even intended.
>>
>>2794512
>>2794505
>>2794185
Hey, I'm not saying it's not a great game, but it's very sloppy in places.

>>2794515
>playing competitively
I don't, it's merely an example that a great game can be incredibly buggy, and why being able to patch a game isn't a bad thing.

Now, there's a lot of bitching about balance in that image, but there's also mention of various bugs, stats rolling over, things doing the opposite of what they're meant to do, etc.
>>
>>2794587
Yes you do don't lie bitch I can smell a liar from 50 yards away and boy you sure are a stinky one.
>>
>>2794589
>muh breeding
>muh perfect EVs
>muh smogon
I literally never play Pokémon with other people because people only care about the meta and min-maxing everything, leading to very generic teams and builds.

What point are you trying to make? I didn't make that image.
>>
I always choose the pkemon i think look the most beautiful. i dont really care about stats, since i level up hard anyway. i only kick a beauty out if its really weak and noticeble.
>>
File: Croc_Legend_of_the_Gobbos.jpg (23 KB, 344x386) Image search: [Google]
Croc_Legend_of_the_Gobbos.jpg
23 KB, 344x386
This is probably just nostalgia. I know the controls for this game were horrible and his voice was extremely annoying but man I loved Croc.
>>
>>2794607
I tend to go for the ones who look cute or cool, typically I'll always have one or two ghost-type.
>>
>>2794607
Stay away from generation 3. Worst pokemon designs of all time. It's hard choosing a team cause there are only like 10 decent looking pokemon in the whole game.
>>
File: bhbox.png (224 KB, 1297x811) Image search: [Google]
bhbox.png
224 KB, 1297x811
>>2794634
>only 10
No.
Also, the world and atmosphere in R&S is by far the best part of it. And the music.
>>
>>2794639
Hope you brought some repels because you're gonna be in water for a long time. Gen II is my favorite but pokemon is almost a matter of personal opinion on every aspect. I will admit though that Gen III had the best music.
>>
>>2794639
well they did give us gardevoir so there's that
>>
File: 200Misdreavus_GS.png (34 KB, 286x286) Image search: [Google]
200Misdreavus_GS.png
34 KB, 286x286
>>2794643
Encounter rates were annoying in water, with all the Sea Zubats, but repels weren't exactly very expensive either. There was also hold items to lower encounter rates.

Gen III is probably my personal favorite entry, but my favorite pokémon is a Gen II.
>>
>>2787797
Yeah boi.

Didn't get into this series until GBA but went back an fucking loved it.
>>
>>2794634
>Worst pokemon designs of all time
>poochyena and mightyena
>zigzagoon and linoone
>lotad line
>nincada line
>whailmer and whailord
>kecleon
>baltoy and claydol
>sableye
>sharpedo
>trapinch line
>spheal line
>lunatone and solrock
>spoink
>duskull and dusclops
>whismur line
>shuppet and banette
>seviper and zangoose
>aron line
>ralts line (degenerate perverts nonwithstanding)
>bagon line
>beldum line
>half the legendaries
>coupled with many of the classics you already knew being available
>there's only 10 good ones
Check yourself before you wreck yourself, foo'
>>
>>2795206
get fucked off 9th gen kid
>>
>>2794634
>Worst pokemon designs of all time
Surely you meant gen 2. Everything in GSC was hideous, a shitmon, or both.
>>
>>2795206
Not like I devote myself to generations like an idiot or anything, but you could've listed some pokes that weren't just round whales, angry looking dogs or seals with facial hair.
>>
>>2796272
go back to /v/ ya jungle coon
>>
File: 21446km.png (149 KB, 1297x568) Image search: [Google]
21446km.png
149 KB, 1297x568
>>2796256
Gen 1 OG, nigga.
I just appreciate each gen for what it is.

>>2796323
>list several dozen mons
>you describe about three as if it was the entire gen
Nah.

>>2796272
Fuck you, gen 2 had some of the best designs in the series.
(and a few of the worst, but most were ok or great)
>>
>all these posts
>no vectorman
>no fantasy zone
>no GET READY
>>
>>2794639
oh man

besides Blaziken all those pokemon are trash

I`ll take a team of Nidoking over any of those faggots
>>
>>2797452
>trapinch
>aggron
>shuppet
>lunatone
>ralts
>metagross
>implying these are trash
>implying these aren't cool and cute and useful
Begone with you.
>>
>>2787713

There's possibly an upcoming website for The Untold Story, if Facebook is too le epik maymay fedoracore upboatliek for you.
>>
>>2792384
>>2792389
>Japanese humor
I didn't even smirk
>>
>>2787356
>> two good games

You mean 5
>>
>>2799614
that's what he meant, 3 shit games and 2 (arguably) good ones
>>
>>2799630
Grunts revenge was good for a gba games with same basic gameplay and pilot was a great Mario kart clone
Nuts and bolts is a good game just not what everyone was expecting therefore they write it off as bad
>>
>>2799651
lol pilot made you LOSE speed if you fly over grass
get fucked, fanboi
>>
>>2799653
If they didn't you'd just say it's broken because the shortcuts Id pick pilot over super circuit anyday
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.