[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your day job /vr/? Anything to do with games/computers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
What's your day job /vr/? Anything to do with games/computers? Developer here. Nothing game related, but hacking on an android port of pcsx2 is one of my hobbies.
>>
Working on PhD. Having a grand old time.
>>
Unemployed. Got my degree in comp sci.

Strongly considering what I should do with my life. Either Indie dev or get a job somehwere.
>>
>>2786937

You should go work. Find a good work/life balance. I tend to feel better while employed, the worst life is sitting around browsing 4chan all day.
>>
I'm a retail slave because I bounced around failing a bunch of different college majors until I accumulated too much student loan debt.

I finally started comp sci and I like it but it's hard to do school while I'm working
>>
Just a part timer at a clothing store for now but I'm working on a degree in comp. sci.

I'd like to get a job at a game company despite all the problems that come with it. Hopefully I'll be able to start my own studio once I get enough experience.
>>
>>2786947

It is really hard. I did two undergraduate degrees before starting my grad work and I was working 40/50 the whole time. I don't have good advice for you other than to keep your head down, try not to let it overwhelm you, and keep it up. It is really worth it in the end. You might think it's not, but if you can handle 4 years of misery, you have a lifetime of benefits for it.

Also, apply for internships ASAP. CS ones tend to pay good. I don't know anyone who's internship was paying less than 15 bucks an hour over the summer. Also,. you can start checking out these things called co-ops, which are like internships but tend to last about 9 months at a time, with the expectation that you will be doing school as well during much of it. Good pay for a job to work through school.
>>
>>2786940
Yeah but school made me hate doing programming for other people.

Group projects made me want to kill myself because its so much harder to coordinate with people then to just do it on your own. Plus, I really don't like doing other peoples stuff, and I like my own thing.

Might just move back to my small home town and work at the local grocery store in Meat again honestly. Then do dev in my spare time.
>>
>>2786957

There are many different ways, one thing you might do is try to find freelance work. For instance, website or network design for small companies. You will have clients, but you won't have any other people to work alongside in particular. I knew I guy who did web design like that. He traveled around the world frequently, and worked from wherever he happened to be. All freelance. An enviable life.

Just keep it up. The important thing is to keep working, even if you're miserable at any given moment, use that as experience to move you towards what you want to do.
>>
I am the one-man IT department at my company, started just 8 weeks ago but I love it. I get paid to work on broken machines, dig through piles of crap at our old storage lockers, and teach myself about running a windows-based network infrastructure. I've learned plenty so far and I'm gonna learn way more soon, and I expect to be getting a raise in 4 months or so, plus potential for more along the way. Also it's barely 2 miles away from home so I'm working toward biking to work too, which is a long-time fantasy.

Basically I'm getting paid to do what I do in my free time, so I can't say I'm displeased in the least.
>>
>>2786920
Primary Teacher here.

Degree in Philosophy and Education
>>
>>2786961
Yeah I'm probably going to make my own website as like a potential draft of what I can do and shit. Then I'll probably make an indie game and see what happens from there, I got enough money banked up from working and some inheritance from relatives that I can live for like 3 or 4 years without a job.
>>
>>2786973

The important thing is do not waste that. 3 or 4 years can fly like a flash. Might be worth finding other work to do to supplement you as well, just in case you start getting too depressed.
>>
File: 1429955479138.jpg (336 KB, 1156x1334) Image search: [Google]
1429955479138.jpg
336 KB, 1156x1334
>>2786930
Same. Electrical and Computer Engineering.

>>2786920
I like to hack on my SNES every once and a while. I had a thread documenting a game I was writing a few months back, but school happened.

I've been thinking about developing some apps for Android. How is it? Is the graphics interface anything like OpenGL?

>>2786957
It's tough to find programming work that's actually interesting. Most stuff is very much cookie-cutter. That's why I've stayed in physical science and engineering research, where asking and solving interesting and difficult problems is the norm.

Personal dev stuff is great as long as you have an audience. Small time gigs like web-site design is always in demand and will make you a living, but will likely be soulless if graphics design isn't your bag. Making money off of things like Android apps is very hit or miss, and the market being completely saturated doesn't make it any easier to launch a successful app even if it's good.

>>2786951
Fuck a big company bro. You will be a cog in a machine at a company that is worked until it is ground down, and then replaced. If you really like game development, go indie. You'll retain creative control and will have a better chance of continuing to enjoy video games. Plenty of publishing platforms and funding strategies exist now if you have a good idea. We need more great games like FTL.
>>
File: 1433294579043.png (317 KB, 500x401) Image search: [Google]
1433294579043.png
317 KB, 500x401
>>2786962
In college right now and planning to go into IT, this post is so encouraging. Sounds like an ideal setup, especially that biking part.
>>
File: 1412825065809.gif (3 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1412825065809.gif
3 MB, 256x192
Librarian. I read a lot and play gameboy in the stacks. My threadly recommendation is Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolf. You'll like it, trust me, I'm a librarian.
>>
>>2787040
you have the power within you, just go for it

I work at a medical firm for the record, not sure if they're all this way but might be good to look. Also worth it to see if you or anyone you know has friends who are doctors, that helped me a lot in getting considered for the position
>>
Eh, ashamed NEET due to some medical/neurological/psychological conditions.Old games, comic books and the like have me wanting to create, but instead I sit around wishing I knew what to play. It's a sad life, mostly because I know my family is most likely ashamed of me, as are my friends.
>>
>>2787043
will do, thank you friendly librarian
>>
>>2787043
Wolfe, sorry I'm drunk.
>>
>>2786957
You sound like me right now, except I'm still in my undergrad. I'm pretty decent at programming and I'm all but finished with my other bachelors in Math, but the more I hear about the wageslave workforce the less I want anything to do with it.

I'm honestly just considering going to grad school for a PhD and later on a professorship, as I think I can put in the long hours of studying and being a professor sounds fair enough.
>>
>>2786920
CTO at a media/publishing company. We do some small games. I rarely have a chance to get my hands dirty at work but I still build stuff and code on my own time, mostly as a hobby.

>>2786937
Get a job. If you finished your degree without becoming an indie dev you aren't up for it, at least not yet.

>>2786962
I did this in my youth. It was fun, educational and rewarding in many ways. You can use it as a stepping stone to other jobs or your own company. Good choice.
>>
>>2786962
This was me a few years ago.

Now I live in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER.
>>
>>2787052

The only Wolfe I read is Tom. Request denied.
>>
I was having fun programming but starting school for it killed all my motivation to work or practice and I actually ended up failing a couple courses.

I feel so childish but when I am obligated to do something, even if I enjoy it I suddenly resent it immensely.
>>
>>2786920
Took my passion for technology and am hoping to turn it into a career.

I'm just half a year away from getting my BA in programming. Cool shit so far.
>>
>>2787113
Fucking.
This.
>>
>>2786920
UNIX system administrator for a company you've definitely heard of.

>>2787093
I want to be a CTO someday. How do I do it?
>>
>>2787113

That's an aspect of growing up you just need to learn how to deal with and get through.
>>
I teach basic computer skills to people with disabilities. It's amazingly difficult sometimes, but not the sort of difficulty that is putting my IT qualifications to good use, if you know what I mean.

>>2787126
>UNIX system administrator
>for a company you've definitely heard of.
Microsoft, right?
>>
i'm agoraphobic and have bad social anxiety so i'm a neet
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/trash/65458
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.