[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk Japanese retro vidya. In hindsight isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: PICT0032-1.jpg (158 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
PICT0032-1.jpg
158 KB, 500x375
Let's talk Japanese retro vidya.

In hindsight isn't it weird that such a random country is responsible for half of what video games are? Think about it, imagine if it was any other random ass asian country, like Laos or something, wouldn't it be weird as fuck?
>>
>>2783575
Anon, Laos it's a shitty third world isolated country destroyed by war, Japan was the second economy power in the entire world just some years ago. I don't think you're making any sense.
>>
>>2783582

Truth.

Look up the Meiji restoration OP and stop being such a faggot.
>>
>>2783582
keyword: was
>>
>>2783614
Yeah, now it's just the third because of China, but how the fuck someone can think Laos and Japan play on the same league just because they're asian countries.

It's like asking why Germany it's a industrial power and not Albania or Andorra.
>>
>>2783626
Being an industrial power is an important thing with real world consequences, not retarded fucking video games.
>>
>>2783638
So?
>>
>>2783638

You think it doesn't take some serious heavy-industry to produce videogames? Or are you just being willfully retarded at this point?
>>
File: zhivotnye_450470_058.jpg (104 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
zhivotnye_450470_058.jpg
104 KB, 600x600
What if I told you... JRPGs started out in Nigeria?
>>
File: 1435450297618.gif (1 MB, 480x470) Image search: [Google]
1435450297618.gif
1 MB, 480x470
>>2783575
Stop playing video games and read a history book Anon-kun.
>>
>>2783638
>retarded fucking video games.
Are you on the right board?

>>2783575
>random ass asian country, like Laos
Are you on the right site?
>>
>>2783652
NO WHEEZING THE JEWCE !
>>
>>2783653
yuropoor laosfag detected
>>
>>2783670

Now you're not even trying...
>>
>>2783575
I wish it was b8 but you sound too sincere

congrats for being dumbest OP I've seen in a while
>>
>>2783575
>such a random country
Japan has had the second or third largest economy in the world for the past 40 years. How exactly are they some "random" country?
>>
>>2783582
Didn't Japan get destroyed by war and then nuked on top of that?
>>
>>2783785

You'll find there's very little that can't be fixed (and in record time) by having access to nigh-limitless cashflows from one of the two most powerful empires on the planet for decades at a time.
>>
>>2783785
They got buttfucked pretty hard after picking a fight with the burgers, two nuked cities, and then royalty had it's power wrestled away from it for all time. You can argue all day whether or not they deserved it, they did some major fucking atrocities, but then, how many of their citizens took active part in that? Should a person be punished for what his countrymen did?

However, the entire nation wasn't demolished, and they did a terrific job of rebuilding.
>>
Let's not forget the state of the industry back then:
>game comes out in Japan
>SIX MONTHS TO A YEAR later it finally comes out in the US
>the US localizers changed shit both visually and in the story scripts.

Let us never forget the era of frustration of waiting and waiting and waiting for localization to get wrapped up so a game can get released.

And random? How is it random? They were there all along as soon as video games were invented, and developed their skills over the decades from there.

>>2783612
Meiji didn't really restore Japan even though that's what it called. He grew envious and lustful of the industrialization going on in the west, and wanted to force his people ito modernizing to join it.

It made sense in theory. However he was a violent dick that didn't think twice about killing and cutting down traditionalists, and he ultimately had zero love for his own culture and history which like a modern liberal believed should be locked away in the past and bulldozed over for the repsent.
>>
>>2783798
>Let us never forget the era of frustration of waiting and waiting and waiting for localization to get wrapped up so a game can get released.
So not much has changed for pretty much everything but the big names?
>>
>>2783798

>Meiji didn't really restore Japan even though that's what it called. He grew envious and lustful of the industrialization going on in the west, and wanted to force his people ito modernizing to join it.

>It made sense in theory. However he was a violent dick that didn't think twice about killing and cutting down traditionalists, and he ultimately had zero love for his own culture and history which like a modern liberal believed should be locked away in the past and bulldozed over for the repsent.

That's an _incredibly_ naive view of that period in history. At that time, Japan and China both faced two choices: modernize or be conquered. The Japs modernized, the Chinese were conquered in all but name by the East India Corporation for failing to. Whether Japan's supposed "culture" remained intact is neither here nor there.

>>2783797

>They got buttfucked pretty hard after picking a fight with the burgers...

I think you'll find the viewed what they were doing quite differently from the propaganda you were taught in school.
>>
>>2783785
Yeah, but that was in 1945 and the nips got time, money and peace for a reconstruction.

Laos got Vietnam war, then a civil war that ended in 1975, then communism, then 20 years of total isolation with only relations with Vietnam. And before all that it was a french protectorate, then occupied by the japanese, then fucked again by the french.
>>
>>2783809
>I think you'll find the viewed what they were doing quite differently from the propaganda you were taught in school.

Agreed.

Yes we smashed the shit out of two cities, but doing so put an end to the Japanese hlocaust, because liberal "WHITE MEN ARE EVIL AND TO BLAME FOR EVERYTHING" history books never tell that the Japanese also had death camps, and killed almost as many people in them as the nazis did.

And afterwards the US rebuilt Japan and developed the hell out of it. And WHILE the US was rebuilding, the US introduced the Japanese to classic American cartoons, the Japanese took to liking them, sought to imitate it, and ended up creating anime from it.
>>
>random country

not even a weeb, you're just so ignorant

I'm surprised there isn't more good euro games though, most of them are boring PC games.
Is there any fun european arcade game?
>>
>>2783847
I'm aware of those atrocities, I'm merely questioning if non-affiliated civilians should have been bombed for it, just as I question if it was right for the Germans.

Also, lets not forget that the US had the Japanese Internment Camps
>>
>>2783847
>And afterwards the US rebuilt Japan and developed the hell out of it.

What books did you read?

All american marines did in Japan afrer the war was scandalize civilians and rape women.

The US did help Japan though, but only economically, the japanese themselves rebuilt their nation. Mostly by constructing schools to develop the youth and rail roads to connect and communicate the country.
>>
>>2783853
>Also, lets not forget that the US had the Japanese Internment Camps

George Takei spotted

We had Japanese AND German internment camps where they were NOT enslaved to death, NOT gassed in gas chambers, NOT tortured and abused, and they basically went on summer-camp vacation for the war.

We treated their people a lot more humanely than they did ours, so cry me a fucking river with that internment camp guilt-trip, Sulu.
>>
>>2783847
>Yes we smashed the shit out of two cities, but doing so put an end to the Japanese hlocaust, because liberal "WHITE MEN ARE EVIL AND TO BLAME FOR EVERYTHING" history books never tell that the Japanese also had death camps, and killed almost as many people in them as the nazis did.

>>2783809

>I think you'll find the viewed what they were doing quite differently from the propaganda you were taught in school.

Are you guys minimizing the fact that America used not 1 but 2 nuclear nukes over civilians?

Don't tell me you actually think Americans cared about the chinese, they just wanted to test these bad boys on actual cities full of civilians and in the mean time win the war EZ modo. Also in revenge of muh Pearl Harbor (where only 50 or so civilians died, Pearl Harbor was an attack to a military base, not a civilian place)

I mean, war doesn't have "good" or "bad" guys, they're all fighting for their supremacy and "anything goes", but I think the nukes were by far the worst thing ever done in humanity's history. Concentration camps were normal in every country at war. Genocide was done by many countries and to many nations and ethnicities, it's all horrible and monstrous, but I don't think anything comes close to the nukes.
Come to think of it, the whole world has gone through a phase of nuclear paranoia, and we have countries like North Korea and Russia who are always the baddies in hollywood movies, but so far, the only country to use actual nukes over cities were the americans, nobody else. Yet they're hardly demonized for it, while the japanese are always described as savage monsters for Pearl Harbor, which again, was an attack on a military base and not a civilian zone.
>>
>>2783864
I'm pissed at George Takei for speaking for gun control, basically saying that the same state who unjustly imprisoned him and his family should now come and dictate who gets what right even more. He has a charming smile but he's a hypocrite.

And yes, of course it wasn't Auschwitz tier or 731 tier, but that isn't an excuse, it's still absolutely deplorable, people had their constitutional rights shit on, for very poor justification.

"But it's not as bad..." isn't an excuse, it still IS bad. It's wrongful imprisonment on very flimsy pretenses. FDR was a war criminal in my eyes.
>>
>>2783882
>while the japanese are always described as savage monsters for Pearl Harbor
No, they were savage monsters for the Rape Of Nanking, Comfort Women, Unit 731 and their remarkable ingenuity at treating POWs like cattle and guinea pigs, death marches, to name more famous examples.

Go and read a bit about Imperial Japanese warcrimes, it's pretty fucking sickening. Pearl Harbor was NOTHING.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.