[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the right way and most 'complete' way to play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 4
File: DOOM2Review3.jpg (355 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
DOOM2Review3.jpg
355 KB, 1000x562
What is the right way and most 'complete' way to play a doom episode?

- Finish front to back on ultra-violence, no saves.
- Play each ultra-violence map individually, from beginning, starting only with the pistol. Save each map on completion.
- Ultra-violence, 100% secrets, 100% kills, hit par time etc.
- Play the whole fucking thing on Nightmare and never save.

I know it sounds picky, I just wondered what other doomers think about playing and what they consider as really 'completing' a Doom 1 episode. I'm trying out episode 2 and the difficulty is quite surprising (and welcome) Personally I don't care about kills or secrets, just reaching the end is enough.

Also I know it deeply depends map to map, but what general tips are best for nightmare? I can get to level 3 on episode 1 and get my ass kicked every single time. I try to just blast my way through and maneover myself to cause as much infighting as possible but the enemies are just too damn hard.
>>
Complete all the levels, the other details don't really matter unless you're attempting a new speedrun record. Saving mid level is widely frowned upon
I'm not good enough to give you tips for Nightmare
>>
Play it beginning to end on Hurt me Plenty or Ultra Violence, saving after each map.

I give myself some leeway to savescum if the level I'm playing has some bullshit segment like a giant mob of Revenants.
>>
>>2782714
Pistol start on every level

work your way up difficulty wise
>>
>>2782729
It's perfectly acceptable to keep your weapons between levels
Also OP theres a doom general on this board if you didnt know
>>
>>2782714
There is no "right" way. But pistol starting is the best way to appreciate the map design, because they were balanced that way.

You don't need to save between maps btw, you can just warp with -map in the console or the idclev cheat.
>>
>>2782717
>>2782734
thanks, I appreciate that. My only no-go is saving mid level. Keeping your weapons just feels a little like I'm missing out though - considering how well designed the levels are, I keep feeling like each map SHOULD be played as pistol start and that weapon carry is almost slightly cheating. I never look up the maps or google the secrets, and I guess some maps really depend on that, like E2M4, way difficult without the first secret.
>>
>>2782714
Play it however you want because the only thing that matters to me is if you enjoyed the game as much as I did~
>>
>>2782714
Pistol starts are your punishment for dying. If you don't die you deserve to keep your weapons and ammo. You have to either kill yourself, input a cheat or exit the game and use command line arguments to do pistol starts in vanilla doom.exe There is no way that that is the 'correct' way to play.

There is no 'right way', it's down to preference. But since you're also specifying the 'most complete' way then one should aim for 100% kills and secrets. Time doesn't matter as there is no scoring system for a par time bonus to affect.
>>
>>2782714
Play through on ultra violence one level after another, with saves.

Why wouldn't you save? Having to start the episode over if you die amounts to tedium for most people, not challenge.
>>
>>2782792
Every good level is designed to be possible from a pistol start, but if a level is part of a series it's fair to assume the designer intended for people to start the level with extra weapons. Do them all from a pistol start if you want the extra challenge, it's up to you
>>
>>2783054
>Having to start the episode over if you die
Eh? What makes you think that is the case? When you die you just restart the current map. Have you never thought to press the use key after dying?
>>
>>2783062
>Every good level is designed to be possible from a pistol start
I'm sure there are plenty of megawads that are not. It's not the only valid design decision in existence.
>>
>>2783062
>it's fair to assume the designer intended for people to start the level with extra weapons
nope
>>
>>2783097
Hence why he said "every GOOD level"

Megawads you're playing are probably not "good" tier.
>>
>>2783124
Not that guy but there are SOME good wads that are designed for continuous play. You may think it sucks, but I'm pretty sure Ultimate Torment & Torture is built that way.

It is, however, definitely the rare exception rather than the norm.
>>
>>2783124
>Hence why he said "every GOOD level"
Knew some smart arse was gonna quip back like that. You're too narrow minded if you think Doom can only be done one way.
>>
>>2782714
All of these ways are just as valid to play, although if you go for 'complete' as in 'completion' the 100% thing would probably be best.

But that's the thing why Doom like FPS are the best, there are plenty of ways to play them which are all just as fun. This was lost starting the generation of Quake 2, Half Life, Unreal and so on.
>>
>>2782717
>Saving mid level is widely frowned upon
By Doomworld spergs maybe.

>>2782729
Never cared for forced pistol start.
If I found a plasmarifle I'm sure as hell not gonna give it up in the interest of fairness.

>>2783102
Depends on mapset
>>
>>2782717
Only by Doomworld oldfags who play with max gamma

>>2782729
Matter of taste, if I find a plasmarifle I keep it.

>>2783062
>Every good level is designed to be possible from a pistol start
So if it doesn't support it then it's a bad level? Lol gtfo

>>2783124
Faget
>>
>>2783889
>>2783892
Whoops, legit thought my phone force reloaded the page and discarded my post, I was screaming at it in anger.
>>
>>2783025
This this this, why do people insist on "playing the rightway/as the devoloper intended".
>>
>>2783904
No one is insisting, people are giving tips about how to make the game more enjoyable. I would have never even considered pistol starting if other Doomers hadn't made a case for it, and it made me like Doom 10 times more.

If OP didn't care about anyone else's advice he wouldn't have started a thread.
>>
Good thread

I miss FPSs like Doom and Blood
>>
>>2783998
it's only a problem when people start making up rules when no one asked for it
>>
With Brutal Doom
>>
The official Doom episodes are easy as fuck. I've beaten every one including Plutonia. You shouldn't have to save mid-level at all.
>>
>>2782714
I'd say first play through each episode on UV, getting 100% kills and secrets, and saving only between levels.

Then if you want the extra challenge, play each map individually. They're all designed to be able to be finished when starting with just a pistol, it's just harder without having the goodies from previous levels with you.

But ultimately, the only thing that matters is how you find it most enjoyable to play. If playing levels individually is too hard for you, and you just find it frustrating, don't play the game like that. If UV is too hard for you, turn difficulty down a notch.

Btw, if you like the challenge, I definitely recommend playing episode 4 maps individually on UV. It's really tough, and the level design is great.
>>
>>2783097
>>2783892
Rather than "good" I should have said all of the official WADs. Never played user made megawads much
>>
>>2784391
Episode 4 gets more ruthless than some parts of Plutonia.

E4M2 being the common example
>>
>>2783025
>>2783904
This desu
One of Doom's greatest strengths is it's simple but fun gameplay, you can play it 100% vanilla with only keyboard and mouse turning, and it'll work, it'll still be fun on some of the really shoddy old console ports.

Because of the simplicity of the gameplay, the ways you can approach playing the maps are near endless, multiple gameplay mods showcase this, but even then there's many ways to play vanilla, playing it Tyson has been a classic, where the challenge is that you limit yourself to your fists.
Pacifist is what it sounds like, the challenge is to beat the levels without using your weapons against enemies at all.
People have UV Maxed E4 and Plutonia these ways, just as a challenge (I'm pretty sure it's been done for Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta too).

You can play a mod where every monster explodes on death, you can play a mod where you have trained attack dogs as helpers, you can play a mod which radically overhauls weapons and monsters to put a new spin on the gameplay entirely.

People's imagination is the only limit.
>>
>>2784536
You're missing out

Check out Back To Saturn X, Hellcore 2.0, Suspended In Dusk and Double Impact.

Oh, and Pirate Doom, it's like Monkey Island on crack. Reminds me of Duke Caribbean actually.
>>
>>2784591
Thanks m8, I'll check these out
>>
>>2784845
BTSX is an ongoing thing too.
It's a three parter, with the third part being worked on right now.
Each episode is roughly 20 something levels, all vanilla compatible, will run with original .exe or Chocolate Doom
It has gorgeous visuals thanks to a unique set of textures, each episode has it's own theme.

There's also Doom The Way Id Did It, it's a full map set for Doom 1, the goal being to create levels that look, feel and play as if they were made by id themselves back in 1993, there's also a coresponding megawad for Doom 2.

There was one which came out fairly recently, Valiant, made for Boom, largely vanilla in style but with some twists and tricks courtesy of the Boom engine.

Really, the majority of the big level sets tend to be made for Vanilla Doom or Boom, if you like that sort of gameplay, keeping an eye out for megawads is worth your time, maybe quickly pour through the Cacowards some time.
>>
>>2784585
Actually Tyson mode is fists & pistol. Because that's what Mike used.
>>
I say the "right" way to play Doom, at least on vanilla maps, is to just limit yourself to whatever you could do on the original DOS exe. This means no jumping or freelooking, but mouse turning and savescumming are acceptable. Whatever else you do from there is up to you.
>>
>>2785540
The pistol is allowed for shootable switches but other than that you gotta put up your dukes
>>
File: snapshot11.png (9 KB, 732x58) Image search: [Google]
snapshot11.png
9 KB, 732x58
>>2786013
Mike Tyson didn't shoot no switches.
Chainsaw being allowed is news to me, actually.
>>
>>2782717

No. Saving every 30 seconds is frowned upon.
>>
>>2783889
>>2783892
>specifically mentioning doomworld
>>
>>2787512
Mike Tyson never fought demon's from hell.
>>
I don't use mid-episode saves on official maps any more but I've been playing Doom for over 20 years.

Generally speaking, I would advise people to calibrate their difficulty selection around what they can beat without midlevel saves. I have no elitism about midlevel saves, especially when it comes to custom WADs, where the bounds of acceptable design are much more vague, but I think the game is more fun if you test yourself and try to deal with your inefficiencies instead of erasing them by reloading.

To that end, if someone is getting stonewalled on UV with no saves, it makes more sense to me that they switch to HMP than start saving whenever.

Recently, I've been playing on Nightmare. Mostly I just get shellacked but it's nice when I get a run up to the fifth or sixth level of the episode.
>>
>>2782717

No it isn't. Plenty of people do this after grabbing keys or completing objectives. In fact, with some levels out there, its practically unavoidable for most people due to the sheer length.

Its when people save before every room thats frowned upon, as it trivialises dying.
>>
It's cheating to use saves or a source port or a mouse or edit the config file
>>
>>2784963
All that shit is overproduced and has nothing to do with laid-back old school Doom. In the early 90's, before the ports and forum masturbation, there was only people making stuff for fun, not to prove their mad skillz or bring home the cacawad. The Doom peoples have lost their way, probably forever.
>>
>>2789340
So you only like maps from 94?
>>
>I'm Too Young To Die
>iddqd
>no idkfa

you still have to find the keys. it's now an exploring game. very comfy when you're 10
>>
>>2789340
>overproduced
People trying to shove music criticism terms into vidya discussion is so embarrassing.

See also:
>lo-fi
>>
>>2789317
>or a mouse or edit the config file
Someone's 'avin a giggle.
>>
>>2783892
>oldfags who play with max gamma
literally never heard this before even as a joke, wtf does gamma have to do with anything
>>
>>2789340
How on earth can DTWID even be classified as overproduced?
>>
>>2790437
In DooM gamma simply shifts the palette entrance which alter the coloration and reduces total ammount of colors.
>>
>>2789340
I recommend you get D!Zone and Maximum Doom. Sounds like its right up your alley.
>>
play how you want dude, they put saving in the game, use it as much as still makes you still feel good about playing

I think it's every doomers responsibility to beat at least Doom 1 and 2 completely modless once first, though
>>
Is it OK if I play with a mouse?
>>
>>2792570
no

also running is a form of cheating

strafing/sidestep is kind of a gray area but I consider it dishonorable
>>
>>2792570
Even rebinding away from the arrow keys is an embarrassment deku sensei.
>>
>>2789340
>I hate fun
Yeah lets jerk off to 94' levels, they all look and play sooo good!

Who the fuck likes nice visuals, interesting maps and fun gameplay? Real men play D!Zone

>>2790437
8 out of 10 screenshots I see on Newstuff or elsewhere on Doomworld they have the gamma slider turned way up, and it looks ugly as shit.
Maybe they play on old shitty CRT monitors still and it's the only way to be able to see anything at all.

>>2792570
Doom shipped with mouse support. You couldn't look up or down, but you could use it to turn, and it makes the game play much better. I never get how some people play keyboard only, the fixed speed of turning is infuriating, I need some kind of analog imput with that.
>>
>>2790780
Those are great, and so is stuff like wadpak style compilations. Someone on doomworld posted a huge mega compilation of wadpak stuff (like a 100 meg zip file of them) sometimes last year or so. Good shit!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ny0lxbfa2zmqnae/Doom_wadpaks.zip

>>2790635
Too many arguments about what exactly constitutes "id style", to the point where they started mimicking instances of bugs or bad texture alignment found in IWAD. Also, voting and only selecting "best" maps instead of just allocating slots and letting people make their maps the way they see fit. Basically trying too hard... Even the dude who made Fava Beans didn't go to those lengths, he just made some maps and that was that.
>>
>>2782714
The right way to play Doom is to play it every way.
>>
>>2782717
Savescumming is frowned upon

Saving every time you get a key is acceptable
>>
>>2793023
>Also, voting and only selecting "best" maps instead of just allocating slots and letting people make their maps the way they see fit.

They did this because of an over abundance of map contributions. Theres an entire megawad full of the rest of the maps called DTWID:LE
>>
>>2792858
>8 out of 10 screenshots I see on Newstuff or elsewhere on Doomworld they have the gamma slider turned way up, and it looks ugly as shit.
>Maybe they play on old shitty CRT monitors still and it's the only way to be able to see anything at all.

Nah it's because PrBoom (the "pro" port of choice) has the gamma maxed out by default but it doesn't mention this in the documentation. I think it's because the dev liked maxed out gamma. You've gotta edit the config to get it back down to normal gamma.
>>
>>2794142
>(the "pro" port of choice)

Who said that?
>>
>>2794142
You've gotta edit the config to get it back down to normal gamma
Or just press F11 in-game.
>>
>>2794716
Really? Did not know that.
>>2794557
Everyone who uses PrBoom. That's why I put it in quotes.
>>
>>2794729
I use PrBoom and I never said it was a pro port.

Where do you see these posts? Because I never have.
>>
>>2794729
F11 has always been the Doom gamma key. It's probably listed on the F1 help screen or the Read This! from the menu.
>>
Non-lethal run only. If you can't beat a Doom level without killing anything, you are shit.
>>
>>2784345
We have a master ruseman gere
>>
Playing without mouselook is how the mapmakers balanced the map, if you want the mapmaker's vision it's time to learn that spacebar comma period right shift right ctrl
>>
>>2796992
I guarantee that Romero played doom with the mouse.
>>
>>2796992
I use WASD + the left and right arrow keys to turn, with arrow up to fire. Closest you can get to mouse controls without actually using the mouse.
>>
>>2796992
Mouseturning was a thing, even in vanilla. I believe even the internal demos in doom and doom 2 were done with a mouse.
>>
>>2797026
>>2797273
He means aiming up and down
>>
>>2796559
i actually agree with the guy.

BD makes simplest levels much more difficult and after some time with it you find out that your skills with doom have improved, regardless if you are playing vanilla or not.
>>
>>2797218
>>2797273
It was and I've read that Romero in particular used mouselook from the beginning, but most people played on keyboard back in the day (such as those coming from Wolf3D). If you ever go back to the first two DOOM games, you'll know they fall apart on UV if you're at all able to use mouselook.

The OP is trying to create pistol only ironman challenges for himself to get the 'complete' experience when it's clear that the keyboard only would provide the challenge he so craves and is the true way to experience DOOM the way id did.
>>
Okay can somebody PLEASE CLARIFY

when you say 'mouselook' do you simply mean looking left and right with the mouse?
Or do you mean being able to look up and down? Because the former wouldn't break the game, in my opinion, while the latter certainly would, especially the Icon of Sin.
>>
>>2798068
>f you ever go back to the first two DOOM games, you'll know they fall apart on UV if you're at all able to use mouselook.
What nonsense.
>>
File: romero_and_his_computer_station.jpg (586 KB, 1856x1316) Image search: [Google]
romero_and_his_computer_station.jpg
586 KB, 1856x1316
>>2798137
People mean different things unfortunately so this is never going to go away unless we all agree to say "mouseturning" 100% of the time when we mean that.

Doom (and even Wolf 3D) were created with mouseturning in mind. The id guys used it, the game supports it, it's in the manual, and Romero confirmed it. Obviously it was not designed with looking up and down because that was impossible at the time.

IMO, though, allowing mouselook (up and down) doesn't change the difficulty that much. It's very circumstantial. Yes, it utterly breaks the Icon of Sin, and it makes sniping easier (especially with rockets), but when you're in a big fight or close quarters running around blasting things it doesn't change much. There are a few areas where you can shoot enemies you shouldn't be able to but it's not a huge deal.
>>
>>2797956
And that is called freelook.
>>
>>2798616
Except it's called mouselook in a bunch of games.
>Quake 1
>+mlook
In fact I never saw anyone use "freelook" until these debates started over Doom source ports and people trying to talk about different kinds of mouse control. It's probably the only community that even needs to make the distinction.
>>
>>2798068
>If you ever go back to the first two DOOM games, you'll know they fall apart on UV if you're at all able to use mouselook.

Literally the only advantage to mouseturning over keyboard only is more precise turning, and that hardly impacts on the challenge at all in the id levels.
>>
>>2798776
>literally
You know how you can tell when someone's about to say some BS?

The ability to turn and strafe at the same time is a significant advantage. I can circle around a Cyberdemon keyboard-only, but it's kind of a chore.
>>
>>2798785
>The ability to turn and strafe at the same time is a significant advantage.

You can do this with keyboard only, numbnuts.
>>
>>2798896
Damn, you're right.
>>
>>2798665
Mouselook is holding down a button or key to look vertically with the mouse. Freelook is having mouselook enabled nonstop, e.g. the result of typing +mlook in Quake.

I don't much care for the term 'mouseturning' but I'm prepared to start using it as a way to discourage the absolute stupidity of referring to classic turning/moving mouse support as 'mouselook'.
>>
>>2798776
And quicker turning. Much, much quicker, assuming you've edited default.cfg to give yourself a decent mouse_sensitivity. The default max of 8 is pretty unplayable.
>>
>>2796992
Mouseturning was an original feature in Doom and Wolfenstein 3D.

Romero played with keyboard and mouse turning before Doom was even released.
>>
>>2797956
Freelook just BARELY lets you break sequence in a couple of instances, and that's only if you decide to do so, there's very very few shootable switches in Doom 1&2, and then some in Final Doom.
It can also make Icon Of Sin super easy, but lets be real, he was never a monumental challenge, his difficulty is literally that you can't aim up or down and thus has to time multiple shots with an elevator. As cool as he is, the actual fight itself was always lame (and I say this as someone who's been a diehard Doom fan since I was 6), the cyberdemon warlord on Deimos was a greater challenge, and the spider demon could rapidly fill you with lead if you weren't careful

It's like jumping + crouching, there's quite a few places where you can use that to break sequence in the original game, but operative word 'can'.
You CAN jump up on that ledge and skip like 95% of this level, but if the level wasn't designed with that in mind, you probably shouldn't, and it's really not hard to just not do it.

I play with freelook (and a dot crosshair) because I detest any kind of auto-aim, the game wresting away a shot at the thing I actually WAS aiming at is supremely frustrating, and if I have to pop a caco or an imp on a ledge, I greatly prefer manually pointing my gun at them in a way that feels natural, rather than having to back up 20ft and pray that the auto-aim is awake and understands what I'm trying to do.

It's not to say the original gameplay is unplayable, far from it, it's still a blast (I blazed through the 32X port in 3button mode the other weekend, and I still had fun despite the poor controls and rushed and mediocre quality of the port).
If I have the option, I'll use freelook without auto-aim and a tiny dot reticle. And an OpenGL renderer, I prefer being able to look around without warped perspective, and I like being able to see the sprites and textures in full colors. I love the old gfx work and it's nice to be able to appreciate it even in darkness.
>>
>>2798004
I like some aspects of BD (such as the idea of a combat rifle you can use sights with), but I hate a lot of others (the sound design and gorn).

I honestly think Mark is a much better mapper than he is a modder. Did you play 200 Minutes Of /vr/? It's a vanilla mapset done under time constraints, and Mark's entry, "Dead Cargo" is one of the better submissions in the set.

I really wish he'd just make an episode for Doom or like 10 maps for Doom 2/Final Doom, using only Vanilla or Boom features, I think he'd have the talent to put out a pretty solid little mapset with those constraints.
>>
>>2798004
I love how there's so many people arguing how BD makes Doom harder as if making the game more difficult was the main goal since the very beginning of the mod's development

if anything, it makes it way, way easier due to the fact that behavior patterns for nearly all enemies were altered and generally fucked with in one way or the other, all bullets become dodgeable tracers, hell knights, barons and chaingunners have a window frame of 2 seconds before they actually start attacking thus giving the player plenty of time to take cover (and deal much less damage than their vanilla counterparts iirc). not to mention the fact that headshots are a thing, which in turn make the game a whole lot easier to manage when you become overwhelmed with monsters

although most people generally find brutal doom to become more balanced when played alongside older mapsets, as it oftentimes makes up for the average enemy placement present in many mapsets 1994-onwards. can't say i agree though since i haven't touched BD or any of its variations in quite some time now. also project brutality is straight up garbage.
>>
Does anyone know how to load a custom wad in Zdoom? Everything I do keeps sending me to E1M1
I tried drag and drop copy paste sending the wad to the .exe with command and run. That's all everywhere keeps telling me. Does Zdoom not allow custom wads?
>>
>>2799462
>Mark is a much better mapper than he is a modder
when he actually puts his mind and will into it, yes, he can go pretty high and far out there

when he DOES NOT, though, and just wants to make a quick hacky piece of shit work, he decides to "take" some "inspiration" (e.g. ripping off half the maps in the Brutal Doom Starter Pack v21 straight from FreeDoom Phase 1 and overbloating it with shit such as random klaxons in the background, annoying pieces of architecture splayed everywhere, X-TREME in your face music from the Doom movie alongside the mediocrity of Brutal Doom being required to be properly experienced) he gets shat on. Hard.
>>
>>2799634
>custom wad
>E1M1
This suggests to me that you're using Doom 1 as your IWAD. Most custom wads are made to be launched with Doom 2. I don't remember if ZDoom gives you an option of which IWAD to use at launch, but look into that.

Also--and this is fairly uncommon--it may be that need to go to a specific map to play the wad. In the old days, especially, maps would say "replaces E1M3" and you would have to warp to that specific level.
>>
>>2799656
>Using doom1
I am a fucking retard holy shit.
Sorry for bothering you fine gents
>>
>>2782714
Just play to have fun .. this is masoquism ,I played all the doom games back in the 90´s alone in the dark ..My way to have fun was crate atmosphere you know, now its 2015 and I discovered brutal doom its great all the improvements just have fun
>>
Without a doubt, keyboard is the canon way to go. It's not that hard, and it feels very satisfying once you get the hang of it, and you don't even have to change the default key layout. The thought of playing a well constructed labyrinth like E2M6 and ruining all the suspense and surprise of the demons with high speed precision turn shots just fills me with gamer disgust... don't let the scrubs in this thread brainwash you, OP.
>>
>>2799910
>Without a doubt, keyboard is the canon way to go.

Romero playing with a mouse already makes this wrong.

>The thought of playing a well constructed labyrinth like E2M6 and ruining all the suspense and surprise of the demons with high speed precision turn shots just fills me with gamer disgust...

This is complete nonsense. I grew up playing doom with keyboard only and can tell you right now that there is no extra layer of suspense or surprise simply because turning isn't precise.
>>
>>2782714
Playing Doom on UV difficulty with pistol start seems like the way to go. I never really cared for the par time though.
>>
>>2799859
>now its 2015 and I discovered brutal doom
>all the improvements are great
I swear I keep seeing these kind of comments splayed everywhere
>>
New to Doom, and having trouble loading wads. I drag the file onto gzdoom.exe, and it will have the mod's UI and weapons and everything, but it will only launch vanilla levels. Googling doesn't seem to bring up anything
>>
>>2799910
You one of those guys that think DOOM didn't come with mouse support? Or were you just using a PS/2 mouse and had to wait for 1.6 to get proper support?
>>
>>2801647
You should probably be using the DOOM2 WAD not the DOOM1 one
>>
>>2799645
I haven't played the Starter Pack
Did he really rip off maps from Freedoom?
>>
>>2799910
What a faggot.
Not only are you wrong, because the game was designed with mouse support in mind, but you're a double-faggot for thinking it makes you better.

Yes, it can be played with keyboard only, but it's needlessly limiting, it makes the game much slower and clunkier than it actually has to be.

Go check out the pros doing UVMax, Nightmare and Speedruns for Vanilla/Chocolate Doom, almost all of them play with mouseturning, in fact, very few pros play keyboard only because it provides very slow input in comparison and is seen as a hindrance.

Keyboard only mode was pretty much a concession to people who didn't have a compatible mouse back in 93. The idea that it was meant to play that as the definite way is a misconception and original id staff will tell you that's wrong.
>>
>>2782734
Keeping your weapons ruins the beautiful weapon placement in many levels.

I would only not pistol start on levels the devs basically said not to.
>>
>>2801748
It's not like I'll appreciate it less if I already have one. Ammo is ammo.

In Doom 2 map 1, there's a secret where you can find a rocket launcher, but there's nothing in that map that really feels like it needs it.

To me, it feels like a reward for exploring and that you're supposed to save it for when you need it later (which can be as soon as the next map depending on how you like to play).

Pistol starting I think is a nice challenge, but I don't feel that it should be necessary to enjoy the game.
>>
>>2801647
Are you sure the wad actually has levels? I've made that mistake before, downloaded a gameplay mod thinking it had it's own maps and getting confused when I kept seeing vanilla map01... how embarrassing. I'm supposed to understand how this shit works.

But also, make sure you're using the doom2.wad IWAD, you can safely assume every wad is for Doom2 unless it states in big capital letters that it's not. (You do read readme's, right?)
>>
>>2801647
The oldest wads have maps put on maps that aren't the first, so if you're playing 95 .WADs I'd confirm that
>>
Anyone here have any experience with playing GZDoom with an analog stick?

Will GZDoom allow for a stick to give true analog 360 degree movement, or will the .exe just treat an analog stick as WASD buttons and it doesn't make a difference to how the player Thing moves in the game?
>>
>>2789305
Pretty much this.

Saving at clearly-defined "stopping points" is acceptable; saving every time you're about to enter a fight and reloading when you take too much damage is chickenshit and basically the same as playing with god mode on.
>>
>>2801647
The easiest solution is to poen the wadfile in a wad editor, and see what level(s) it replaces.

It'll contain a file called like... e3m1.lmp or map21.lmp or something. And then you'll know that's what map it replaces.
>>
>>2805290
>The easiest solution is to poen the wadfile in a wad editor
lol no, the easiest solution is to read the readme

and if it doesn't have one it's probably not worth your time
>>
>>2805304
Maybe he got the .wad from Doomseeker or something?

I used to get lots of .wads without any readme for context.
(which is why I personally think it's a good idea to include a copy of the readme.txt inside the actual .wad itself these days)
>>
>>2801720
4 or 5 maps.
>>
>>2782714
I feel everyone should play doom at least once with vanilla or chocolate. Gives you the feel of what Doom was like back when it was new, before advanced source ports.
>>
>>2782728
This pretty much. Go through an episode start to end, making a save at the start of each new map. If I die I respawn without all my cool stuff and try again with just the pistol until I get through it. I'll make periodic back-ups mid-map in case of a glitch or freeze, or in the event there's some stage hazard like a crushing ceiling. Fuck replaying a 15 minute map over some trivial death like that. But if someone's just gonna reload after each battle that goes badly what's even the point of playing.
>>
File: BASIC.jpg (17 KB, 230x346) Image search: [Google]
BASIC.jpg
17 KB, 230x346
1. shoot monsters and pickup any shit that looks cool
2. go to another room you haven't been yet
3. is exit here? then goto 4, else, goto 1
4. play next level (or possibly next episode if Doom 1) until there's no more levels or you get bored of this shit
>>
>>2782714
Just play through the game dude what are you doing? You from the Pokemon board where you guys do weird stupid ritual shit to make it harder?
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.