[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Phantasy Star - Generation 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: start[1].png (92 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
start[1].png
92 KB, 600x350
Apparently, the translation is pretty finished (currently on beta, patch available on RH.net)

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2505/

Anyone played it yet?
The bonus content makes me want to give it a try especially the whole reviving Nei thing, but the art style is holding me back (pic unrelated, since it's by a different artist).
>>
What you spoilered there is actually concerning to me as the unusually grim time of ps2 was a real part of its greatness to me. The theme of futility it holds is so unusual in any game let some a jrpg.

Whenever I play PS I am blown away by how far ahead it was of other jrpgs at the time.
>>
I finished it today, but in Japanese.
I got through most of the game without a guide so I completely missed the whole revival thing.
Finding the damn crevasse and the Ney Weapon quest however drained me so much that I just grinded for manufactured equipment and used a map instead of accurately mapping all those damn holes.
>>
>>2782096
From what I understand, you have to beat the game first before it will let you go back and revive her. And it only adds a few lines, along with her appearing during the ending sequence fight against the evil Earthling guys. There wasn't much interaction between characters in PS2 anyway, but it still feels like they should have done more to make that event a bigger deal.
>>
>>2782108
I thought you needed a save from the Generation 1. Then you need to do a bunch of stuff before facing Neyfirst and she stays in the party for the rest of the game.
>>
>>2782121
Maybe I was forgetting what game you had to complete, then.
>>
>>2782096
From what I remember, you have to go though all of the text in the game from when you start up to the point where Nei leaves the party, in addition to having a completed save from the first game, which makes it more of an easter egg for people with absurd amounts of time on their hands than messing with the theme of the game.

I suspect the game is still just as grim, though I haven't played it yet (I'm still working on generation 1).
>>
>>2782338
An important part is that you need to have a specific party member and specific equipment at a specific time. Just talking to every until their dialog stagnates isn't enough.
>>
>OP's spoiler

Can she even keep up with the party late-game?
>>
>>2782356
She was fairly powerful and had many useful techniques until she left.
My final party was Eusis, Rudger, Kainz and Anne and I'd have liked to have her take Anne's place.
>>
>>2782356
If you need someone who can use a bunch of buffs and a special skill that recovers all TP, yes.
>>
I don't know what's worse, a character sacrificing him/herself for nothing or a character who dies and is brought back like nothing happened.
>>
>>2782556
It is hidden content though, think of it as a cheat code
>>
>>2782560

I can dig it. I'm certainly not so much of a purist that I feel like cheat and joke content is a sin.
>>
>>2782356
This game uses completly different stats, calculations and mechanics from the original, so she probably can keep up just fine.

That, more than the horrible art and sound, is the one reason I'd never recommend these 'remakes'. They're literally not the same games,
>>
>>2783072

How far do you go with that reasoning? If all they did was change a ratio on some stat growth would that make it a different game to a meaningful degree?
>>
>>2783160
Bruv. Watch this Generation 1 video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ252Sjju7A
You can see characters well beyond the original game's level cap and doing more damage than any one monster can even have in the original game. Is this the same game as PS on the Master System? I say no, because the basic rules of the game have drastically changed.

I know by suddenly bringing up G1 I'm moving the goalposts but it really is the same shit for both games. I have at least made my point about the first game.
>>
>>2783241

That was a true question. What is your definition of a different game? You've said that you think these remakes are completely different but what is the line for that. Or, similarly what defines a game uniquely?
>>
>>2783241
Generation 1 was laughably easy but Generation 2 not so much.
They did some rebalancing but not necessarily to make the game easier.
A notable difference between Generation 2 and PS2 on the MD is the combat system which makes it simpler to give full commands and allows attacks in three intensities.
>>
>>2783286
>What is your definition of a different game?
Okay, that is a tricky question. I'm too tired to give anything more than examples. And an example would be a game that is built from scratch to resemble the original rather than being modified from the original. G1 and G2 are both of the former type.

And yes before you say it, by my definition a functionally and asthetically identical game would be a different game if it was remade from scratch. Although in such a case the different game would be every bit as good as the original I could not consider it to be the same game. Not that it would matter, nor is it relevant to this example.

>If all they did was change a ratio on some stat growth would that make it a different game to a meaningful degree?
In such a case I would consider it to be another version of the same game.

An example between the extremes: Final Fantasy 1 modern remakes.
I don't beleive they're done from the ground up, but the core gameplay has changed so significantly that I can no longer consider it the same game. It's not a mere easymodo version, the rules of the game have been changed.

So that's my crap. I typed it up to satisfy your curiosity in particular and I sure hope no daft cunt thinks I'm trying to press these ideas onto others.
>>
>>2785510
So what is your reasoning for refusing to recommend them over the original?
FF1 had the magic system changed after the PS1/WS version but PS1 always had a MP system. The most notable difference to me seems that in the original you could save wherever you want but in Generation 1 you're restricted to save terminals.
>>
>>2785538
>So what is your reasoning for refusing to recommend them over the original?
Personal preference, obviously. Same as anyone else. I wouldn't wish the changed gameplay or the new visuals/music upon anyone.

>The most notable difference to me seems that in the original you could save wherever you want but in Generation 1 you're restricted to save terminals.
Really? In a game where monster exp has risen from tens to tens of thousands, and with characters who could go back to the original game and one-shot the original bosses with their new damage calculations you noticed the save system? Well I guess it is significant. I never even thought about it.
>>
>>2785585
>I wouldn't wish the changed gameplay or the new visuals/music upon anyone.
Would you wish the old graphics on them? Or Phantasy Star 1 without FM? The games didn't look that great for their time either. The CG in the two Generation games aren't that great but the sprites and the like are alright and that's what you see for most of the game.
Damage and XP is just a matter of balancing. It has impact on the difficulty but not on the gameplay itself.
>>
Why would you even want to save Nei

She's actually lucky to get killed when she does.

she dies believing there's hope.

PS2 is truly grim.
>>
>>2785510

I don't mean any antagonism here. There probably is no exact answer as to what is a different game. Just making conversation, so hopefully it didn't come off a too aggressive.
>>
>>2786459
Because she's more useful than the other party members.
Typically I try to go with a harem as a party.
>>
>>2785908
>Would you wish the old graphics on them?
Well, yeah. They look pretty good to me. I'd go as far as to say that PS1 was the best looking RPG of the 80's, beating out it's own 16-bit sequal.
>Or Phantasy Star 1 without FM?
I always recommend to play WITH FM, even if it means emulation over real hardware. There's no reason not to nowadays, thanks to the retranslation.

>Damage and XP is just a matter of balancing. It has impact on the difficulty but not on the gameplay itself.
I couldn't disagree harder. Turn based RPGs are a game of numbers and if the numbers change to that extent shit plays very differently. But it's not just numbers. I mean, the game even has noticibly different content. If you look at the list of monsters in both games you'll notice some pretty big differences. Not just new monsters, ones are missing too.

>>2786539
Yeah, no worries mate. It's impossible to post on 4chan without seeming angry to someone. For the record, none of my crap should be read in angry tones either! Remember, 'cunt' is Australian for g'day!
>>
>>2786459
PS2 was "Shit happens : The game"
Darun, Algo, Nei... even thieves get gutted
still my favorite game ever
>>
The Gen1 translation needs to be fixed first. It isn't even close to the SMSPower translation of 1 for MS (aside from a few dumb mistakes. "transrate"? really?).

1 > 2
>>
>>2785908
Dude, Gen 1 changes the game extremely. Your 50 Meseta gift in the Camineet warehouse becomes 2000, Alis has heal and exit from level 1, the context of Nero's death is radically different (Alis fails to save him instead of being helpless to save him), there's a ton of new magic and weaknesses/strengths in magical elements is a completely new element added in, there's more boss monsters...it's only aesthetically similar.
>>
>>2787789
> (Alis fails to save him instead of being helpless to save him),
What's the difference?
I just rewatched the intro on both the Mk3 version and Generation 1 and while Gen 1 added some detail it's not really that different.
>>
>>2787808
There's a huge difference between Alis not even learning the spell that would save him until some time after his death and knowing the spell but failing to cast it properly. It changes the tone and context of the intro.
>>
>>2787771
>spoilering an objectively correct opinion
>>
Is there any difference between the different releases of the Phantasy Star 2 text adventures?
>>
>>2788982
Yes, they are all different games focusing on different PS2 characters.
>>
>>2791110
I meant between the Seganet, Mega CD, Saturn and Playstation 2 releases.
>>
>>2791338
They should all be the same once the game boots, just the roms may be slightly edited to execute on different hardware or under emulators.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.