[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
multi SCART adapter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
hi bros
So i was planning on buying something like pic related. because i'm tired of having to wire/unwire all my shit permanently.

Should i buy a manual or automatic one ? Any preferences ? tips ?

Also battlestation general showoff i guess
>>
don't buy a really cheap one
>>
yep forgot to mention frenchpalfag here.
I heard manual ones could damage consoles if several buttons were pressed at once. While i'm not dumb enough to do that, i genuinely would like to know if this is true.
>>
>>2781093
what would you recommend then ?
>>
>>2781086
i've got a powered joytech one. it's pretty good
>>
>>2781086
What was really the point with SCART? I've wondered that for quite a while. RCA had already existed for like 10 years by then, and it has the exact same specs.
>>
I've got a MadCatz one that's served me well, it's very useful to reduce clutter.
>>
>>2781102
get a buncha rf connectors and connect them together all at once, and it will improve the graphix and make the games look old timey like it was back in like 1987 before they made all this gobblegook rca and scart bull shit :D
>>
>>2781173
>RCA had already existed for like 10 years by then, and it has the exact same specs.
Dude, get your eyes checked. If you think composite looks the same as RGB, you need medical attention.
>>
>>2781086
It will let you down ,every scart selector I've had has given me problems you need a high quality one to avoid interference
>>
>>2781086
You're mad about having to rewire no doubt because you have to go behind your TV and Media unit.

Just get a fucking extension cable. I have a power squid that I taped to the side of my TV stand that I plug whatever console I wanna play into, and I have a male RCA to female RCA thats taped beside it thats for my retro since s-cart and s-video and shit is virtually non-existant here.

Just make it easy for yourself.
>>
>>2781173
Wrong as hell. The difference is night and day.
>>
File: 162872.jpg (48 KB, 250x417) Image search: [Google]
162872.jpg
48 KB, 250x417
Frenchpal here too... I only tried a multi SCART adapter once, many years ago, and it was a mess.
Since then, I've purchased a Sega AV selector... while it's RCA, it's still very good; been using it for 5+ years, works like a charm.
You can only plug in 3 RCA but it's perfect for my T.V (1 RCA, 2 SCART, 2 HDMI), since I still have my 2 scarts for dreamcast/saturn/nes.

Pic related, it's that one but the pictures are scarce.
>>
I came up with a really good wiring scheme for my RGB setup, but it takes some electronics know-how.

Multi-SCARTs like in OPs pic are notoriously shit, so what I did was get a high-quality component video switch (the Pelican one with 8 inputs is what I decided on), got some Xbox 360 component cables from Ebay super cheap and are really heavy duty, and then rewired all the SCART cables coming from the various systems with the component cables so that RGB, sync, and LR audio go into the component / composite cables of the switch. Then the one output from the switch gets transformed into a SCART cable that goes into the Framemeister.

Sync the switch, TV, receiver, and Framemeister to turn on and switch to their respective inputs with a Harmony remote or some such device, and enjoy effortless retro gaming.
>>
You need a real switch (usually manual), not a multi-scart like on OP's pict. Unfortunately they're not as common, and significantly more expensive. What you want to strive for is having all inputs separated, so you won't get interferences from other devices plugged on the same board.
>>
>>2781274
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_connectors
The exact same specs.
>>
>>2781775

No, it _can_ be the same. From what admittedly little I've read about SCART, they basically took one look at emerging competing video standards like Composite, S-Video, RGB etc. and said "Fuck it, they all go in this one connector.". Thus, while SCART connectors look nothing whatever like RCA connectors, they include them wire-wise internally. Same with RGB and S-Video too.

Now, here's where it gets weird: though a SCART cable can output in multiple formats, it doesn't necessarily HAVE to include all of them. Thus, you could have at one time plugged everything up using SCART and had it look no better than Composite. But that has everything to do with either the device not supporting or the SCART cable not including the capability for anything better than Composite (I'm pretty sure EU standards prevent a lot of that shit these days, though).

This was my understanding of the little bugger after sitting down with the Wikipedia article on it one evening.
>>
>>2781808
The whole page is a hodgepodge of connectors and signal types all jumbled together.

RCA and SCART are both connector types, which can carry any number of different signals. You can have compOSITE, compONENT, s-video, or RGB running over RCA just as you can have them running over SCART.
>>
>>2781818

>The whole page is a hodgepodge of connectors and signal types all jumbled together.

I didn't use that page. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scart
>>
>>2781775
Sure, both composite and RGB can have a 480i carrier. So what? you're basically saying that a Pontiac Aztec and a Ferrari F355 have the exact same specs because they both have 4 wheels.
You're the epitome of retardation.
>>
File: btech.jpg (11 KB, 300x226) Image search: [Google]
btech.jpg
11 KB, 300x226
>>2781086
If you're in the UK try this. It's a B-Tech BT21, I've never had any problems with it.
>>
>>2781086
Bought a cheap one on eBay and it was shoddy and crated a lot of noise.

Go to carboot sales on Sundays, find someone selling a decent branded one (JVC for example, but there will also be all kind of media branded ones)

Look for gold plated connectors. They aren't going to give a much better signal, but they do signify a better quality of consturction.

Don't spend more than £2 for a secondhand one, there will literally be atleast 10 decent ones about at any good carboot sale that someone dug out their loft after spending £20 on it about 15 years ago.
>>
>>2781930
Oh, and mine is an "automatic" one, but that just means all the lines are connected at once so no switch is needed.

I find this easier as why would you want to talk up to your TV to change the channel on the scart adapter?

Only draw back is that having the SNES and camecube plugged in at the same time slightly darkens the RGB snes connection.
>>
File: 3_way_scart_adapter_xs.jpg (42 KB, 450x623) Image search: [Google]
3_way_scart_adapter_xs.jpg
42 KB, 450x623
>>2781930
Found the picture of my one. Coudln't be happier with it.
>>
i know this question isn't maybe for this thread. but i have to ask.
what devices would you have used if you wanted to record retro gaming.
we have recently started to do weekly speedruns of Castlevania 1 as well blueshadow.
im looking of there's a cheap dvd recorder. or if there is any good HDD recorders that you can connect consoles to,

Thanks in advice
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 300x300
>>2781091

But don't buy an overly expensive one either.
Here in the land of SCART a simple hama- hub like this one that is lying without a package in quantities of dozens in the bottom row of pretty much every cable department of every electronic store for 4.99€ is more than enough.
>>
>>2782009
Can you use that with the Framemeister?
>>
>>2782016

It's literally just a male SCART plug parallel connected to three female ones. It contains no electronics whatsoever, so yes of course, it's a cable. If you connected only one device it would be just a SCART extension cable. Just make sure the other devices connected to it are powered off or they will influence the signal as they are all on the same wire.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.