[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I finally decided to take this off my list, like, 15 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: 1-ss2-cover.png (299 KB, 377x435) Image search: [Google]
1-ss2-cover.png
299 KB, 377x435
So I finally decided to take this off my list, like, 15 years too late.

Problem is, I know there's a whole bunch of mods now - some cosmetic, some bugfixes and game tweaks, some add content - and I'm in the classic dilemma: do I Play As Intended (maybe with some bugfixes), or do I Push The Graphics (maybe with that unofficially-official engine patch and some HD textures)? And If I do fix/change/mod anything, where do I start - what are the recommended patches for SS2?

Give me a hand here, /vr/.
But no spoilers please.
>>
File: 1353071687283.jpg (31 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
1353071687283.jpg
31 KB, 500x356
>>2780660
>>
File: 1432587406738.jpg (55 KB, 452x409) Image search: [Google]
1432587406738.jpg
55 KB, 452x409
>>2780650
SHTUP is good, Rebirth is trash.

Just use SS2Tool and you'll be fine. Might have to change a config if you can't drag+drop in the inventory.
>>
>>2780650
I only finished it myself a few years ago, all raw, no mods.
It was fine. No 'tearing your ass off amazing', but totally playable and cohesive.

Higher res textures really bring things out tho, like being able to read the techno-gibberish on the monitors are nice thing.
If you can/want to, get HD textures that leave them the same, just in higher resolution.

Also, Im interested in your opinions about it during your playthrou, so keep us updated on yout thoughts about happenings inna game.
>>
>>2780914
>SHTUP
Oh, that's cool as fuck, and it doesn't seem to take any creative liberties with the source, I'm getting this. Does this already include hi-res versions of the models? The download page lists both the mod's beta and a "model fix". (https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=22.0#post_dl)
>SS2Tool
>"You should only use this version of SHTUP (beta 6), if you're using the original retail version of the SS2 . If you've patched your install with a recent version of SS2Tool, or are using the GOG or Steam releases, you should use SHTUP-ND"
Doesn't seem compatible with SHTUP...

>>2780943
>keep us updated on yout thoughts about happenings inna game
Sure thing. Although I doubt the thread would still be up, I'll only be able to start playing in a couple of days. /vr/ is slow, though.
>>
>>2780943
A game with that amount of open-endedness, depth and complexity (especially when you take into account the time) is definitely tearing-your-ass-off amazing. It was so fucking ahead of its time.
>>
>>2781571
Oh, totally!
I was talking about graphics.
Some people have problem with the fact that enemies models are a little too angular for their tastes, or that they can't see every fucking bolt on the robot trying to kill you, or something like that.
I mostly don't get that kind of people.
Mostly, because I have to admit, in-game human physique is very rough, to put it mildly.
However, I take it as a charm of the game.
For me, graphics are just a medium to convey gameplay, for others, they make or break the game.

tl;dr the
>not 'tearing your ass off amazing', but totally playable and cohesive
part, was mostly about graphics, i should said it more clearly.
>>
File: ss2.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
ss2.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
PC gamer magazine recommended these:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ky62v2aay9z70mz/AADaWeoD3RD5ZssQP62zZKsTa

It has HD texture updates, higher polygon models etc. essentially the original game but with better graphics. The view to space looks much much better with this mod and the lighting is comfy as fuck. In vanilla SS2 the space texture looks like it's from some cheap Turkish movie.

I'm currently on my second playthrough, I played my first time without mods, but I think the game is much better with non-mushy graphics. Picture related, it's System Shock 2 with all these mods. Look how sharp the text is in those containers.
>>
SS2 is the only horror game I have ever played where I paused in an empty room and just stared at the door back out with a gun drawn for a minuet before I could continue. I will always remember that moment because it was the only time a video game had ever legitimately made my brain tired from maintaining constant state of alertness.

I had played and not been really scared by Resident Evil and the demo for Silent Hill at that point but System Shock 2 was a whole different ballgame.

>tfw you will never be 13 and playing this all night with the lights off on summer vacation again
>>
>>2781871
>>tfw you will never be 13 and playing this all night with the lights off on summer vacation again
don't give me those feels, anon
>>
>>2781751
It does look pretty nice.
>>
>>2781871
>tfw you will never be 13 and playing this all night with the lights off on summer vacation again
Shit, that reminds me of the time when me and some buddies played Zombie Panic in an old tool shed during a thunderstorm at night.
>>
>>2780650
For best spookiness value stick to unmoded graphics.
>>
>>2780650

the game has autistic gameplay
>>
File: shodan2.jpg (137 KB, 900x678) Image search: [Google]
shodan2.jpg
137 KB, 900x678
>>2780650
Play it as is.
I replayed it just last year, it looked great.
See the thing is with old horror stuff, whether it's games or movies, those ugly old cosmetics actually add to how scary it is.

That said, be aware that if you're getting the GOG version:
It has infinite respawning like in the bioshock games. I think they added this because they also added multiplayer and you'd not want to load everytime one of your co-op buddies dies.
To counterbalance that though they made the enemies respawn as well (need confirmation that this was not the case in the old version of the game), which on the difficulty I played it on made the whole game a struggle to conserve ammo which was also fun like a resident evil game or something.
>>
File: 1428413808821.jpg (42 KB, 512x640) Image search: [Google]
1428413808821.jpg
42 KB, 512x640
>>2785719
>>
>>2785719
I played version that it costed you either 5, 10 or 15 to respawn and enemies were respawning as well.
>>
I think it still holds up if you play it raw except for some bug fixes and stuff to get it running.

Graphics mod if you MUST but I recommend go without it.

No content additions if you've never played it before.
>>
I played it vanilla like 12 years ago and again 2 years ago and I think the game is still amazing on its own.
>>
>>2780914
I read this as

>"SHUT UP! Rebirth is trash!"
and it made me think you're super mad for some reason.
>>
>>2785719
Uh, the player respawning and enemy respawning are core mechanics in SS2. No one forces you to use the quantum bio reconstruction machines though so that's about it.

Enemy respawning can be turned off with some basic tinkering but I wouldn't do it - the enemies placed on the maps become dead quite fast and if they stay that way the game becomes very quiet.
>>
>>2785719
Uhh, wat? They didn't add those. Monster respawning is the core mechanism of the game. Co-op multiplayer was added afterwards in 2.3 patch.
>>
>>2787579
>>2789138
What's with the low quality bump?
Is this some form of statement on the base quality of SS2's graphics or something?
>>
>>2789942
Nah, I just didn't have anything smart to say, and didn't want to state some obvious things.

Also, I was thinking about trying out a run without any upgrades beside the ones from the beginning.

Mostly a marine with busted strength, +2standard and maintenance.

What do you think?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.