[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm the only one who feels weird playing retro games on emulator?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
I'm the only one who feels weird playing retro games on emulator?
>>
Hopefully.
>>
collectorfag bait?

>>2772868

Use the catalog.
>>
At first perhaps I felt like that but haven't in ages now. The thing is to make yourself comfy, if you're immersed enough I don't see how playing on your computer can be a negative experience.
>>
>>2777292
Everytime. Emukiddies will never know the true feeling of redoing the last level of Ninja Gaiden for the millionth time in a hot afternoon.
>>
>>2777292
It is only weird if you are using a keyboard for controls, and sitting at your desk.

Emulating gameboy games on my tv, with my ass in the couch and an arcade stick for no reason however is fun and to weird in the slightest.

N64 games without the plastic cog joystick is a little weird though. I like that piece of junk for what it is.
>>
>>2777292
Not really, playing NES games with a USB gamepad feels pretty much like they did when I played them back in the day, except my gamepad isn't an uncomfortable brick today. And I've got way better reflexes and coordination than I did as a kid.

Also, playing GBA games on a large and clear screen with a comfy gamepad that fits my hand, it's almost better than the real deal, feels like I'm playing a 32bit SNES

I don't miss CRT either, good fucking riddance.

>>2777305
Kind of value my time more than that desu
It's not that I don't appreciate these games, but I don't love most of them hard enough that I want to replay some of the parts endlessly.

>>2777327
N64 is honestly so difficult to emulate that I can't bother, if I ever get the urge for it I guess I'll go dust off that old thing.

I might need to touch up or replace my gamepad though, they never did grease the sticks for us westerners and it always shows.
>>
I used to feel playing on emulators felt "off" , but playing on my soft modded wii on a CRT is the best thing ever
>>
It depends. Playing arcade or console game on PC is a bit weird. But playing old computer games isn't so much.
>>
It's weird as fuck actually and depending on the system I have to be in a different enviorment, is kind of weird.

When I was in middle/early highschool I played a shitload of RuneScape, I racked in hundreds of hours of playing emulators while AFKing on that game. Most of it was clearing EVO over and over, though.

At the time I could only realy play 2D emulators like NES/SNES/GEN at my shitty Dell in those years. N64 just didn't feel right, even with another controller I could never get analog sticks to feel the same way to the point that I gave up on it. Thank god for everdrives

I see a lot of conclusions drawn here like "Don't try to like something you obviously don't enjoy, find a new hobby" but it's pretty clear that emulators are a totally different experience. There are certain games I just can't play on an emulator but love the shit out on hardware.

Truthfully a lot of us are just searching for feels. It's kind of shit booting up an emulator and playing a childhood classic and being like "oh shit this game actually sucks fucking balls" - and are left pondering if its actually impossible to enjoy it again.

I have a shitload of handhelds and that's how a lot of my games are played these days. I don't know what the deal is but it's really hard to get absorbed into a game on your PC - even though ironically I can kill hours of my life there on modern games, I think it's all in the USB controller and switching to your mouse occasionally - who cares.
>>
This fucking thread AGAIN?

Jesus Christ /vr/, the last one hasn't even been pruned yet. 0-0'
>>
>>2778791
There's at least one at all times.

We get it, you don't like playing games on an emulator.

Me, I don't have enough room for all my systems, so emulators are fantastic. Playing them full screen with a game pad, I pretty much just lose myself in the game.

Although the 360 controllers shit d-pad is a bummer.
>>
>>2778878
I emulate because fuck if I'm gonna pay for 10 and 20 year old games.

The space savings is a pretty nice bonus though.
>>
>>2777292
get original controller adapters,not usb controllers. Does the trick for me when i full screen and turn off the lights, though would be even better if outputting to a crt tv
>>
>>2777302
this
also stay away from certain emulators, like the n64 ones.
>>
>>2777292
People who sell games are posting these. I ain't falling for it.
>>
>>2777305
why wouldn't day? are days not hot when you use an emulator? is ninja gaiden suddenly easy when you use an emulator?
>>
>>2778878
The 360 dpad is balls, just go get any gamepad from somewhere, it'll probably be better for emulating.

I use a $12 dualshock clone and while the sticks are kind of shit, the buttons and the dpad are serviceable.
>>
>>2778970
You can certainly cheat easily in emulators, but it's all optional.

What it tells me is that anon has no self-control. I guess he's like those people who can't play Doom with freelook or jumping/crouching because they can't stop themselves from breaking sequence in vanilla maps, like such, anon simply can't restrain himself when save states and gamesharks are in the emulator, despite the fact that anon feels that he shouldn't be playing the game that way.
>>
>>2777292

The only console I care about emulating is the N64 and the games I want to play don't emulate perfectly since they're not a Mario or Zelda game
>>
yes
>>
It's always best on the real console. Emulating always feels fake to me.
>>
>>2780006
It does, nothing beats the real thing.
>>
>>2780006

I guarantee you the majority of time the difference is you, not the emulator.
>>
>>2780015
Says the emukid.
>>
>>2780017

rude
>>
File: geese-shoes.jpg (55 KB, 608x448) Image search: [Google]
geese-shoes.jpg
55 KB, 608x448
pretty much what most people agree with: emulating is fine as long as you're using a proper pad and a CRT display, but it also depends on the emulator.

It's pretty obvious nothing beats the real deal especially if you actually have experience with the real hardware, you'll notice the small, minor differences easily.

But emulation is a godsend for stuff like MAME. Without that the only option would have to shell out for the actual PBCs and Neo Geo only covers SNK and a few 3rd party that did games for Neo Geo, plus it's mad expensive.

Just enjoy the game, first and foremost, if you don't enjoy the game itself, you won't enjoy it on original hardware either. If you enjoy the game, you'll enjoy it better on real hardware 100% accurately.
>>
>>2780043
>CRT
I legit don't understand people's fixation with them, when I emulate NES on my laptop, the graphics are crystal clear, when I played my NES as a kid, the screen was fuzzy and less clear, on top of making a constant high pitched squeal noise.

Why is the CRT screen better?

(I'll agree on that you'll need a gamepad though, keyboard feels so strange and unnatural for console games)
>>
>>2780825
The argument is the game graphics were designed around CRTs fuzziness and a certain amount of blur. It makes some colors and effects much better. It might look like stupid dithering on a laptop LCd but on a CRT it's a nicely blended effect.

There's also the refresh rate thing.

4k 120hz+ is changing this though. If you get a 4k you have enough pixels and enough horsepower to do really convincing CRT effects so you can recreate 90% of it.

As I understand it, it's harder to get rid of the last 15 ms of input lag though, so that will remain a problem for some games that need such fine control like punch out.
>>
File: say_no_to_blur.png (373 KB, 549x1192) Image search: [Google]
say_no_to_blur.png
373 KB, 549x1192
>>2780890
>graphics were designed around CRTs fuzziness and a certain amount of blur
This is false. See pic.

The real reason to use CRTs is lack of sample-and-hold blur and low latency. This can be approximated with 120Hz LCD + black frame insertion.
>>
I prefer using the real hardware except for playing some emulators on my psp.
>>
>>2780890
>4k 120hz+
No such thing. 4K maxes out at 60Hz with current technology.
>>
That is what being christian feels like?
>>
File: 1zXsVbp.jpg (327 KB, 1526x1024) Image search: [Google]
1zXsVbp.jpg
327 KB, 1526x1024
>>2780931
fuck off retard
>>
>>2780948
Sorry. I meant 'is going to change' this.
>>
File: 1446854257189a_01.png (2 MB, 772x1024) Image search: [Google]
1446854257189a_01.png
2 MB, 772x1024
>>2781052
I can fuck with the color balance too, that doesn't mean anything.
>>
just like a lot of vinyl collectors, the crt fags here try to pass off their aesthetic preference as objective and "how it's supposed to be played" lol
>>
>>2780931
>>2781052
>>2781172
i'm sorry i'm an idiot, what am i sopposed to be seeing here?
>>
>>2780825
>Why is the CRT screen better?

CRTs can display more colors at once, have lower latency, and have a built-in dithering effect. But i don't think those are even the reasons for people obsessed with using CRTs for gaming. It's simply a purist collector mentality, kind of like weapon enthusiasts being obsessed with old sword-making techniques instead of exploring how to apply modern techniques in making weapons.
>>
emulators are the best way to play old timey vidya, i'd rather play games than spend like 30 min. trying to get the old wore out peice of shit nentendo to work and pay like 50 bucks for a sticker covered copy of contra that was owned by some dumb spic before me lol :D
>>
>>2781207
>CRTs can display more colors at once
Depends on the LCD.
>have lower latency
Yes.
>built-in dithering effect.
No. Do you even know what dithering is? LCDs are more likely to have "built-in dithering effect" (mine does, because like most fast LCDs it's only 6bit), and it's a bad thing.
>>
File: emus are not legit.jpg (56 KB, 820x311) Image search: [Google]
emus are not legit.jpg
56 KB, 820x311
Remember, if you didn't play the game on a cart you didn't play it legit.
>>
>>2781052
That's an emulation problem and was already fixed, retard.
>>
>>2780890
>The argument is the game graphics were designed around CRTs fuzziness and a certain amount of blur.
I never really thought that was a pleasant aspect of old screens.
Also, I don't mind the blocky pixelation, or some effects which were not meant to be seen crystal clear, I genuinely think it's charming in it's own way,

It still looks like what it's drawn to look like, it's just no longer looking like I'm taking off my glasses.

>input lag
I don't think I'm experiencing that, I'm playing directly on my laptop, with a USB gamepad, and everything works like it should for me, never feels like a button press is delayed for me.

>>2781207
>kind of like weapon enthusiasts being obsessed with old sword-making techniques instead of exploring how to apply modern techniques in making weapons
Frankly, I like both.

Old blackpowder shotguns with 'damascus' barrels are interesting old beauties, even though shooting modern smokeless cartridges would explode the thing, having to load or buy blackpowder cartridges to enjoy an old gun like that is part of the charm.
I mean, I already know what a modern, high-speed low-drag gun is like, an AR-15 with a monolithic polymer lower/stock, an aluminum upper with a reciprocating charging handle (to replace the forward assist and to facilitate ergonomics and handlings of my own preference), a 16" barrel in .300BLK and H&K steel mags loaded with +P ammunition, complete with a laser for short distance point shooting.
Modern weapons are great and fun, but there's an entirely different sort of fun to shoot an Enfield musket or an old Navy revolver (though I won't turn down a few modern enhancements, blackpowder burns filthy and modern substitutes which burns cleaner and leaves less crud, I'll appreciate that, means I don't have to clean the thing as much).

Just the same, there are modern games that I like, even if I play a lot of old games a lot of the time, I also don't mind some of the conveniences of emulating old games.
>>
>>2781401
Either way you haven't accomplished anything from beating video games, you nerd.
>>
>>2778970
I refrain from using savestates and gameshark codes when I emulate, but I also don't jump or use freelook on Doom. Used to do both when I was younger though.
>>
As somebody who grew up in the 16/32 bit eras, I don't mind emulation at all but will always prefer a CRT display and original controllers if available. I don't understand the mentality of people who want to add scanlines to their emulators or are completely against emulation altogether. As long as the game is playable with no frame-rate problems, I'm good.
>>
>>2781602
Doom is a fun game in it's basic state, Classic Complete on modern consoles plays like the original game most of the time, so I'm glad that the original game is available mostly intact for the new generation of gamers.
Even the shittiest old console ports are fun because they are still Doom.

Modern mods may have spoiled me a little, but classic Doom is still barrels of fun to play as is.

However, Half-Life's style of play, jumping and ducking, freelook, that felt so right, so PERFECT since that first time I played it, this is how a first person shooter is played (though FPS controls are actually kind of good on consoles these days), so ever since, if a game allows me to play it with keyboard and mouse somehow, I'll go for that.

GZDoom allows me to play the game mostly as it is, but with Half-Life style controls, because that feels so right to me. Unlike some people however, I have restraint, and if I'm playing a vanilla mapset or just one which isn't made for you to jump and duck to get around, I won't. I don't get why some people can't stop themselves, I won't duck in under something I wasn't actually meant to, or jump up on a ledge I'm not supposed to be up on yet, so why do some people feel compelled to do that even if they think that's wrong?

Hell, all I use jumping and ducking for most of the time is taking cover or dodging and shit, between running into the fray like a madman and blasting enemies in a circlestrafing clusterfuck.

I turn off autoaim and use a crosshair with freelook, because autoaim is not only chickenshit bullshit, the game wrenching my bullets away from where I'm actually aiming is supremely frustrating, placing my own shots where I myself intend to is really the only way that feels right.

With freelook they complain you can shoot switches you're not supposed to shoot yet, but how about just NOT doing that then?
Oh, and I guess Icon Of Sin becomes a more trivial, but come on, that bossfight was always weak.
>>
>>2781401
What kind of attitude is that? It's the same game because they rip the rom from the carts. If anything beating it on emulator would be harder since you have more input lag (assuming everyone is now playing these on HD screens). Damn, I'm disappointed in Bootsy. I didn't know he was such an elitist asshole.
>>
>>2782383
No input lag on computers.
>>
>>2781401
What's funny about this is Mike and all his buddies jump at every opportunity to shit on emulators and say they're not "legit" but have no qualms about playing on a Retron.
>>
>>2782609
That flimsy piece of shit which has barely 60% NES compatibility, rips pins out of catrtridges (as well as itself) and has a gamepad with ergos worse than the original NES one?
>>
>>2777292
No, it's really weird.
But playing them on flashcarts or inbuilt emulators doesn't feel as weird.
>>
My biggest issue with emulation is sound. It seems to be damn hard for emulators to get perfect, glitch free sound. Not to mention the actual feeling of picking a cart(or whatever) off the shelf, putting in the console and playing with the proper controller, and proper boot sounds depending on console.
>>
>>2783238
I for one am glad to play NES and SNES games with a PS3 controller. The d-pad is so much better.
>>
Grew up on Pong and Atari and been playing games for goddamn forever.

I prefer emulators by a huge margin to the real thing. The real thing is expensive, a pain in the ass to set up and maintain, and fails easily.

Love emulation. Fuck the real thing.

Just my opinion.
>>
>>2783331

My dream controller is a DS3 with the d-pad and button action from the GBA SP. The small size is perfect, super easy to reverse direction with and I fucking LOVE the clicking action compared with the mushy/occasionally sticky bullshit we get these days.

I guess they'd probably wear out a little faster/ wouldn't last 20+ years like the mushy stuff, but just put the dpad and button diamond on their own little daughter boards. Jack up the price 200%, I'd probably still buy it.

I did see one anon on here a few days ago who modded a mega drive to use little pushbuttons under the D-Pad, that shit looked so cash.
>>
>>2782580
that's funny, because all the emulator haters will tell you that there's considerably more input lag on computers, and that's why they only use the original hardware
>>
>>2783406
No obvious input lag with correctly configured RetroArch. Other setups are not so good.
>>
Nope. Just doesn't feel right to me unless I'm playing with the systems game pad with a USB adapter on a CRT. But personally since I have the systems and a small collection I've built up over the years I just prefer to buy the games. inb4 waste of money, I know it's more expensive than emulating but I don't mind spending the money assuming it's not an expensive game like earthbound or konkers.
>>
I found the retropie project pretty cool. I find that any of the following things makes emulation gets a lot better.

1. Use a dedicated device

2. Boot directly to an emulator frontend

3. Use OEM controllers

4. Apply filters

(laptop/tablet convenience outweighs CRT for me)

Emulationstation + (Retroarch + Other) is a pretty sweet combo. I have a 9" netbook that boots & plays like a big game boy.
>>
>>2777292
No. There are other people like you. But they're all just as mentally ill.
>>
>>2781737
Play it however you like, but I just think that freelook breaks the vanilla maps, and it ABSOLUTELY breaks the Icon of Sin fight.
>>
Not weird. I do wish I had the old consoles I grew up with, but not enough to spend hundreds of dollars on the good games I used to play.

Modded Wii + Component CRT TV + Classic Controller Pro = Good times and cheap as fuck. Been enjoying a lot of PC Engine lately.
>>
depends. I find N64 and not just for the shittyness is off. And I'm also not a fan of snes or genesis or ps1. That includes emulation completions on console.

GBA, NES, PS2 and mame all feel fine though.
>>
>>2777327
>not challenging yourself to play all games on a keyboard

Just beat Zelda OoT with a keyboard cause my gamepad got fucked. Felt so good man.
>>
>>2789750

the worst part is the aiming, you can forget getting ammo and bomb upgrades. Also the water temple is a nightmare, due to constant hookshotting.
>>
>>2777292
Threads like this make emulator people feel bad. They get very upset and condemn collecting, a hobby they don't partake in.
>>
>>2789768
But why can't people do both? I love collecting old games, but if I get the urge to try out a game, and feel like playing through it, I'll just emulate the summbitch. Honestly, you guys are too whiney. Just play the game.
>>
>>2789750
The first time I beat Contra it was on a keyboard. I used a keyboard for games for about 6 years until I got a working controller. Keyboard is hardcore mode.
>>
File: typing-3.jpg (117 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
typing-3.jpg
117 KB, 640x480
>>2791732
>Keyboard is hardcore mode

uh huh. This game is much easier with a keyboard than with a controller.
>>
>>2781401

Drop dead, Bootsy.
>>
File: stare cat.jpg (24 KB, 510x427) Image search: [Google]
stare cat.jpg
24 KB, 510x427
>>2790064
because it hurts the ego of people that belittle those different too them
>>
>>2781601
>>2782383
>>2782609
>>2792010
emufags BTFO by bootsy
>>
>>2792010

Mom says HANG UP.
>>
>>2778892
why the N64 ones?
>I'm playing through Majoras Mask right now for the first time since 2001
>it's playing perfectly on my computer
>and I love how seamless the xbox 360 controller works for it
>>
I thought false flag threads were exclusive to /v/?
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.