[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /vr/ think about the first two GTA games ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 18
File: GTA1_PC_in-game_screenshot.png (71 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
GTA1_PC_in-game_screenshot.png
71 KB, 800x600
What does /vr/ think about the first two GTA games ?
>>
>>2777230
The best, especially multiplayer and builtin-cheats which made the sandbox experience even better.
>>
GTA 1 was my killer app.
>>
>>2777234

>the best

No, fuck off. Just because something is older doesn't make it better. They were good games for their time but the 3d games blew them out of the water in every single way.
>>
I like car handling way more in the first game than in the second title, the same with the missions's scripts. 2's soundtrack is neat tho
>>
>>2777230
GTA 1 &2 were prett-

Hometown, downtown, speeding all around
An ak47 got the power in its barrel to
Move any mother that gets in my way
Just another power machine out on the freeway

Riding with me is my mc homeboy
Knowing the rules ain't part of his program
Finding the right way around this map
Might be pretty hard cause he's f***ed on crack

G - grand theft auto
You gotta make a mark and move where you want to

T - theft
Determination
To steal what you can and run from the nation

A - hey what d'ya say
We automate the sequence and speed for my getaway
Take it to the edge, there's nowhere to hide
And call up the boys, let's go for a joyride
Let's go for a joyride
>>
>>2777249
what is this
>>
>>2777240
yeah, the cash shop and the cutscene kill the old ones.
>>
I love GTA 2 especially, I wish there were more of that kind of top down open 2D world game. It definitely does it a lot different than something like the Zeldas do, for example.
>>
>>2777270
autism
>>
>>2777278
>It definitely does it a lot different than something like the Zeldas
Because they are different genres!? Vertical shooters also do that very different.

Payback on Amiga and GBA is very similar to the first GTAs.
>>
gta2 has an amazing multiplayer, /vr/ should have threads for it

google "gta2 game hunter"
>>
>>2777286
>gta2 has an amazing multiplayer
No, it was garbage and ran like shit.
Not that the newer ones are better.
>>
>>2777278
Why 2D? GTA showed how to use 3D for top down games.
>>
>>2777249
Soul Makin'.
Sound Shakin', Earthquakin'.
Change.
>>
>>2777285
Take No Prisoners did it better.
>>
>>2777285

Never heard about this, and seeing a video actually grabbed my attention
>>
>>2777270
Plugged the lyrics into google and got this

Up your google-fu, anon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xXw5JzhIz0
>>
>>2777270
>>2777282
>>2777990

Bingo. GTA 1 &2 (and possibly 3) had this song as the theme song of the game. When it came on the radio when you were doing missions you couldn't help but get pumped.

Song is Joyride by Da Shootaz. If you played any amount of GTA 1 you are aware of this song as well as the hari-chrishnas/Elvis impersonators
>>
Good games, but very flawed.

GTA1 is ridiculous with how long the levels get, not to mention there are missions where things are not explained well (I recall failing a mission instantly because I got out of a car). And the game is just plain hard, and not so much in a satisfying way.

It gets points for making the cities sound alive as well as the soundtrack and tone. The attention to detail is pretty sweet, too, given that all the cities have their own cop cars. Tiny little things like that are awesome.

GTA2 suffers from being tedious as shit. It fixes the issues in 1 (you can retry missions as many times as you need to, provided your respect is sufficient and you can actually save), but at the same time, some of the missions are overly long and some of them even repeat themselves. For example, each district has a "steal this enemy gang car and run over a bunch of gang members" in every section. On top of this, the PC version makes this even worse by having ridiculous kill quotas during the missions. In the PSX version, you may have to run over 10 guys, whereas the PC version has you running over 50.

My go-to classic GTA game is actually London. It's not as long as either game, but that's good, because it means it doesn't overstay its welcome. It's also the first and only pre-GTA3 GTA game that has any semblance of a narrative. And given the type of game it is, they did a pretty good job on it. I need to go look it up, but London may have been the first game Houser wrote in the series. Yeah, I need to go confirm that.
>>
>>2778086
Don't you die in like 1 shot with London though?
>>
>>2778091
Yep. London is an expansion of 1, so pretty much all elements of it are the same.

Fortunately, London doesn't pit you against large groups of enemies with machine guns like GTA1 did. Also, it being shorter, it's a lot less frustrating when the game is a dick to you.

I also forgot to mention that the streets in London are a lot bigger than those in GTA1. It makes the driving a lot more satisfying since you're less likely to run into cars.

And that's another issue with GTA1. Some of the cars go too fast for the overhead camera. I avoid driving some of the faster cars in GTA (the high end sports cars and cop cars) because they're a chore to drive. I can't deny they're fun to screw around in, though. Just not my vehicle of choice during a mission.
>>
>>2777230
1 is okay, but 2 is pretty great.
>>
hated GTA1 on Playstation
The controls just weren't for me
>>
>>2777230
I always meant to play GTA2 on the dreamcast, but the controls are über fuck-tarded.

I'm assuming the PC version is more customizable?
>>
>>2777230
played the god damn shit out of them

every day after school was trying to outrun the cops and murder as many people as possible, gun cheats, etc. and swapping controller back and forth with a friend. continued the tradition with every other gta since.

playing missions = for faggots
>>
>>2777230
they were great. the first one came out when I was 11 and I remember seeing my friend playing it on his computer for the first time. I was watching with another friend and saw my friend steal a car and run the guy over. we were like wtf. then he had a cop on him and was running away on foot, he picked up a machine gun, turned around and mowed him down. we were left in awe, had never seen anything like that before. also the explosions looked great.

that was just the demo version which my friend got as part of some pc magazine. we all borrowed it and installed it. the demo version had a countdown timer so you could only play for 300 seconds or something. we'd basically compete to see who could get the highest score in the limited time given. good times. we also played the shit out of it on lan multiplayer once we got the full version. the soundtrack was amazing too
>>
Editing the vehicle config files in GTA 1 was lots of fun
My favorite was giving the church bus a negative turning ratio so that it would spin in place rapidly like a top upon any attempt to change direction
>>
File: 1414615599249.jpg (50 KB, 313x394) Image search: [Google]
1414615599249.jpg
50 KB, 313x394
>>2777230
FUCKING AWESOME.
Fun. Arcadey. Pick it up and do whatever. Yet still elaborate when you get into it.
>>
>>2777240
He probably means "the best in this generation" you buttblasted faggot.
>>
>>2777230
dated tank control sucks dicks
>>
>>2777230
GTA 1, 2 and their various mission packs and add-ons to me are the only GTA games. The games released under the GTA name since III, with the notable exception of Chinatown Wars, have nothing to do with GTA as a game. My personal favorite is GTA 1, with CTW as a close second. I never got into GTA 2 for some reason, probably the purely fictional city and the odd style.
>>
>>2777230
gta2's weird future-claymation aesthetic fucking rules
>>
>>2778209
This. The game was the absolute culmination of gaming in my childhood. Never finished any missions if I remember correctly because English is not my first language. Causing mayhem and destruction is.
>>
File: gta map.jpg (336 KB, 1067x600) Image search: [Google]
gta map.jpg
336 KB, 1067x600
Loved the shit out of them. I was just a kid when my older brother showed me GTA 1 and it blew my mind how you could step out of cars, shoot pedestrians etc. it felt like you could do anything you want. The map also felt huge and confusing as fuck which are tiny as fuck by today's standards. The copy my brother got for me was a pirated copy that didn't have the soundtrack and only ears later I found out that the game had some music in it. Same with my copy of GTA 2.

GTA 2 was also nice and much better than the first one. For some reason it missed motorcycles which I remember was odd even back then. The most exciting new feature for me was the fact that cars didn't explode right away after catching in flames unlike in the first game.
>>
>>2777240
>>>/v/
>>
>>2778692
>which are tiny as fuck by today's standards
What standards? They're also dense, and there is fortunately no ingame map of any form, as it actually makes you pay attention to the streets.

>much better than the first one
That's just like, your opinion, man.
>>
Even back then I remember there being these myths about super sikrit easter egg weapons, vehicles etc. like hidden skateboard in GTA 2 which was a popular myth/rumor in my school. I also heard rumors about helicopters, zombies, buildings you can enter and some other things which I never ever saw in the game. This was before I had access to internet to verify these.

There was this one mission in GTA 1 where you need to throw a suitcase to a motorboat that passes under bridge. I always tried to jump on that motorboat without success.
>>
>>2778701
>What standards?

Today's standards. That's like a tutorial level size in any modern game. Gladly the game has more than one city so that kinda makes it up. There's also lots of dead ends you'll end up driving to and you need to trace yourself back the way you came.
>>
GTA 1 and 2 were definitely designed to play on older computers... if not you need to really clock down your pc in order for them to play regularly. That's why some of the cars seem so hard to drive to some people. They're best played on old PCs.
>>
>>2778714
>That's like a tutorial level size in any modern game
Don't confuse size with shit to do in it. The maps are super dense. There's more to learn and do in Liberty City in GTA alone than in all of San Andreas in GTA:SA.
>>
>>2778714
>That's like a tutorial level size in any modern game
Nigga what games have you been playing?
>>
>>2778716
GTA 1 and 2 for Windows have frame limiters and play identically on modern hardware as on old hardware
>>
>>2778720
You can play GTA2 in high resolutions that would be impossible on old hardware. Not sure about 1.
>>
File: gta kill frenzy.png (166 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
gta kill frenzy.png
166 KB, 640x480
>cop chasing you
>car next to you explodes
>police runs under the explosion sprite
>turns into regular pedestrian with slightly darker uniform

What was with this? Was it a glitch? I remember it happening more than one time. There were also some other weird happenings going on with the old GTA games.

>GTA 1
>cars passing over the bridge
>suddenly one of the cars just explodes for no reason
>didn't even touch it because I'm on foot

>GTA1
>cops are after me
>cop gets near my car, about to open the car door
>open the door immediately before he gets to open it
>cop dies
>>
>>2778720

all i know is i've had major differences with GTA2 on two different PCs... very noticeable differences. like twice as fast.
>>
>>2778724
the high resolution worked just fine on the old hardware, thanks to 3D acceleration hardware. Also, the statement was about framerate and unintentionally sped up gameplay, so please take your fucking derailment piece of shit statement and shove it up your rotten arsehole.
>>
>>2778727
don't disable the framerate limitter in the config, it's there for a reason
>>
>>2778728
Show me a computer from 1998 that can run GTA2 in 2880x2160 with a decent frame rate.
>>
>>2777270
>what is this
How the fuck could you not know? it's even on the radio in gta3 aswell you fucking underaged pleb cunt.
>>
>>2778740
No one listened to LIPS 106.
>>
>>2778017
GTA3 had the song in a radio station, as the player's pager ringtone and as the ice cream van jingle. GTA4 also had the song as one of the phone ringtones.
>>
>>2778754
unless Grand Theft Auto was playing
>>
>>2777240
>the 3d games blew them out of the water

GTA1 and 2 are in 3D.
>>
>>2778774
they used polygonal models for the buildings, but their viewing mode was strictly top down (zoomable, but still), with all of the cars and people modelled as top down sprites.
You may be technically correct, but you're a willfully obtuse asshole.
>>
>>2777230
Well, kind of revolutionary, they popularized open world sandboxes, really. Also it was one of the first AAA games where you where a criminal, portrayed in a more serious and not comedic way.

Also yeah, it was boss, spent big chunk of childhood on 1. Never got past Liberty City and I frankly never cared.
>>
>>2777240
No, they're still amazing games. Just as GTA 3 is an amazing game which hasn't changed by release of Vice City and San Andreas, which are also amazing, GTA 4 which is still amazing, and nothing has also changed with release of GTA 5.

If you think old games can't be good and newer games are automatically better, what in the fucking fuck are you doing on this board?
>>
>>2777240
>for their time

Meaningless argument.
>>
>>2778779
>Never got past Liberty City and I frankly never cared.
If you're ever picking up the game again, I urge you to beat Liberty City, for two reasons

1 - To beat it, it means you got to get a sequence of missions right, to bring the multiplier up. The sense of accomplishment when you finally manage, gives you a sense that you really "conquered" the city.

2 - You unlock San Andreas. By far the most beautiful and versatile playground in all of GTA 1. Liberty City warms you up on the navigation, and Vice City is just an asshole, but San Andreas has such a varied blend of environments, creative missions, it just is THE GTA 1 city.
>>
>>2777249
underrated post
>regardless if 2.5 d or 3d, GTA always had the best fucking music
>>
>>2778787
>2.5 d
I would like to rage
>>
>>2778718
>There's more to learn and do in Liberty City in GTA alone than in all of San Andreas in GTA:SA.

Don't get ahead of your self there. I love both games, but San Andreas isn't as big as you're implying, and is extremely dense and packed with content. By the end of the game, you've explored every inch of the map thanks to the main story line alone.

GTA is a great game, but San Andreas is one of my favorite games of all time. If you said GTA5, though, I would agree.
>>
>>2778725
>>GTA1
>>cops are after me
>>cop gets near my car, about to open the car door
>>open the door immediately before he gets to open it
>>cop dies

I've always figured this was intentional. It's ridiculous, but hilarious, and stops you from immediately getting busted.
>>
>>2778785
Heh, actually thought about picking up 1 and 2 again. Thanks, I definitely will.
>>
>>2778776
>but you're a willfully obtuse asshole.

Why? Because I know the difference between 2D and 3D? Or because I don't change the definition of words to my likings?d
>>
>>2778781

Thank you. I'm getting really sick and tired of this "aging" thing.

Games don't age. If you don't like it now, you wouldn't have liked it back then either. Nothing changed.

This concept is very new. I don't recall hearing people use this meaningless argument prior to a few years ago. I believe it was popularised on younger users on /v/ who wanted to justify, in their minds, reasons for not having played older games that everyone else seemed to be talking about.
>>
>>2778802
I think it's a glitch, because a similar one carried its way all the way to San Andreas. Enter a driver-only car from the passenger side while holding sprint and accelerate. The driver dies instantly as you displace him.
>>
>>2778805

They were released for free on Rockstar's website a few years ago.

I don't think the downloads are still up, but don't feel bad about downloading the games for free, because Rockstar made them freeware.
>>
>>2778813
>I think it's a glitch, because a similar one carried its way all the way to San Andreas.

I'm not saying your wrong, but wouldn't the fact that this phenomenon remained in GTA3 and VC imply that it was intentional? GTA3 and VC are entirely different engines, so it seems unlikely that they would just happen to repeat the same glitch in setting with 3D models.
>>
>>2778818
>your wrong

*you're

Sorry about that. Just figured I'd correct myself before anyone says anything.
>>
>>2778785
>Vice City is just an asshole

>those fucking rigged cars that either blow up or have you chased by exploding RC cars
>the army base
>that basketball court with all the people shooting at you

FUCK
YOU
>>
>>2778818
Possibly, but it's really easy to put such quirks into queue-based AI by accident. I've made such mistakes myself. Besides, you can kill otherwise immortal scripted characters with it in SA.
>>
>>2778779
>Also it was one of the first AAA games where you where a criminal, portrayed in a more serious and not comedic way.

What? How the fuck are GTA1 and 2 serious in any way whatsoever?

Also, I'm not sure if they could be described as "AAA". I'm not entirely sure what constitutes a "AAA" game, but I don't think the first GTA had a particularly large budget.

Great game, but I wouldn't describe it as "revolutionary". GTA3 though, yes, because it inspired many clones afterward.
>>
>>2777249
Hey, actually I realized something.
This made me listen to the song again and it ends with
"NYPD"
"LAPD"
"SFPD"

I wonder, where those the places GTA was meant to be set in early in development but they changed it to avoid controversy? (Also changed LA to Miami - I'm sorry, "Vice City" - for more variety?)
>>
>>2777240
not because it's older, but because it's not clumsy like 3 and the rest.
>>
>gimme your wallet!
>>
>>2778835

Nope. The design document (available online) states that the game will be set in Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas.

Design documents are written before games begin proper development.
>>
>>2778839
actually, I find this to be the case for me too
I really liked gta2 but 3 was just so irritating to control
vice city was a bit better tho
>>
>>2778835
>Rockstar
>Avoiding controversy
Aw shit, nigga.
>>
2 >>>> London > 1
>>
>>2778834
I'm talking like, compared to games when you were a cartoony thief stealing from houses, like this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_%28arcade_game%29
Maybe "dark" would be better word.
Before that most video games about crime were cartoonishly silly or player was the police/lone vigilante (Punisher, Renegade), while Grand Theft Auto actually portrays player-wrought violence with some degree of seriousness, showing blood, consequences of crimes and structure of organized crime. Sure, it had heapings of black comedy, but you could say the same about e.g. Pulp Fiction by Quentin Tarantino. For the record, only a couple months after GTA was released, Eidos released Gangsters, strategy game about running a mafia family. So yeah, GTA changed the gaming landscape forever, even if it didn't spawn genre of clones like GTA3.

Also AAA as in game published by a major studio, with advertisements, media buzz, and so on, rather than a garage title worked on by a one or two people (which we now call "indie" games). Rockstar was at the time already known for Lemmings, which is another cult classic you have probably already heard of. I'd say it counts considering state of video game industry back then.
>>
Fun fact, GTA1 was the only time in the series where you could play as a woman.
>>
I'll admit I didn't even get into the GTA series until GTA3 was out on the PS2... My computer was crap at the time so I downloaded GTA2 and played that relentlessly instead. Still had numerous nights of fun enjoying the overhead view and causing a ruckus throughout the city while playing my Mobb Deep Infamous CD on my stereo. Great times.

tldr: even after GTA3 came out, GTA2 was still cool as fuck despite having different gameplay.
>>
>>2778864
>Rockstar was at the time already known for Lemmings
DMA Design you mean.
>>
>>2778872
what makes the cities so comfy in gta2
is it just the nostalgiaglasses?
>>
>>2778864
You know that's not what AAA means right? It's literally meaningless and just thrown about by shitty journalists and graphics whores.

Anyone who uses the term instantly loses credibility with me. As does anyone who thinks that Lemmings is a "cult classic".
>>
>>2778872
>despite
That's the weirdest misspelling of "because of" I have ever seen
>>
>>2778896
... "Cult classic" is a game (or anything else, song, movie, whatever) that has a cult following, which Lemmings definitely has?
>>
>>2778998
group of mindless lookalikes obliviously walking into their inevitable doom? Yeah, Lemmings definitely has that
>>
I heard a rumor that GTA 1 was supposed to involve dinosaurs, is there any truth to it?
>>
>>2777240
>older doesn't make it better. They were good games for their time

Nigga there's three years difference between GTA2 and GTA3. That's like saying games from 2012 are outdated relics now.
>>
>>2777230
I played GTA2 for the first time in I think 2011 and loved it. It still has one of the best soundtracks of the series. I played 1 a little while later and it was good too but a whole lot harder. Ended up beating both though, even writing down all the places in 1 where upgrades where. I still have the sheets somewhere.
>>
Isn't it amazing how well this series is doing now despite the first game being really mediocre and only sold well because of the controversy it caused?
>>
>>2779145
Humble beginnings.

But it's not really all that surprising considering how much they looked to improve the experience with each game. Look at the jump between 1 and 2 and you see they had a vested interest in making the gameplay better. Controversy helped it, but the main reason GTA went on to become a behemoth was because there was some gameplay to back up that edgyness.

For another retro example, there's a reason Postal isn't as popular as GTA.
>>
>>2779027
Might as well be considering how people are sperging over FO4's graphics.
>>
>>2779145

A lot of games got off to rocky starts. Just look at Street Fighter. Now, like GTA, it's the leader of a genre.
>>
>>2777230
They're kind of fun still, but there were some things which prevented me from fully enjoying them.
Well, 1 anyway, I never much got into 2.

>>2777240
I agree that the later titles (before 4) where the cream of the crop of GTA, but chillax.
Also, those games were simply not perfect, for all my love for them, I have my gripes with them too.

>>2778017
I don't remember it, does it not play in cracked versions? Because I never paid for 1

>>2778091
You did that in 1 as well.
Never quite liked the fighting in 1, punches never ever did shit, and aiming the pistol with the keyboard was almost impossible, the only weapon I could use well was the machinegun, flamer was good but it was dangerous

>>2778209
Honestly, the missions could be kind of fun sometimes, like the one where you bomb a police station

>>2778740
I never really listened to the music stations in 3. Well, Flashback was nice last time I played.
>>
>>2777249
Missgeburt, Missgeburt
Schlagerstars!
Wir wollen Eure Fäuste sehen
>>
>>2778086
There's 2 London expansions
>>
>>2780091
nobody played the second
>>
>>2780106
Because its insanely hard to get a hold of and get working. It's PC only iirc and has problems running on many newer PCs. I don't know why R* released 1 and 2 as freeware but not the London ones too.
>>
>>2780745
There's a hack to play it on psx. It runs beautifulky
>>
>>2779145
I always thought GTA was a hit game because it was the first of its kind. Or how many other open world sandbox games were then?
>>
>>2777234
Holy fuck multiplayer is the best in GTA 2. I used to play alot with my brothers, it was like some action movie where 3 hitmen jason bourne james bond like characters try to kill each other in a big city and they have tons of weapons and cars at their disposal. It was really fun.
>>
I forget if it was GTA 1 or 2 or both that only gave you once chance at the kill frenzies. They were so hard to pull off you really needed multiple tries but NOPE. That made me mad.
>>
File: 1436980763670.webm (1 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1436980763670.webm
1 MB, 640x640
>>2777234
>>2780765

When do we arrange a /vr/ GTA 2 MP sesh
>>
>>2780771
The machinegun frenzies were a cakewalk though, just hold down the trigger and shoot at everyone and everything
>>
>>2780771
>get multiplier up
>frenzies past in few seconds
>>
>>2780760
GTA was a hit because it had adult content handled very immaturely, which appeals to teenagers.

>>2778896

At this point, I'd say a AAA game is a game that is backed by a large marketing campaign, not unlike feature films where a significant amount of money is thrown strictly at marketing. If you get a tv spot that runs during prime time, its a AAA game.
>>
>>2781069
Bingo. It stands for Advertising, Advertising, Advertising. And thus should be mocked and ridiculed and held to much, MUCH higher standards to where they suffer a major penalty to review scores before it's even out the shrink wrap.
>>
I recently decided to play through GTA, GTA2, and GTA London before diving in to the type of game it would become. I have to say, the shitty way the game expects you to have a map on hand is only eclipsed by how difficult it is to find a decent resolution image online. The mission structure is so awful that you can fail missions because you didn't find the payphone in time to get the next call, which seems like an odd design decision, and then half the missions come on your beeper which may give you the location of a vehicle you already did the mission for, or you may get a beeper message that just clears out the last one.

I know the game is meant more as a "haha I just ran over 12 cops" sand box, but trying to retro-tour the thing is ending up a real pain in the ass, especially because there aren't any good walkthroughs that I can find.
>>
>>2781279
GTA1 is very old school and expects you to rely on trial and error. A lot of people would say looking up a map is cheating, like it would be in Metroid. You just learn the map through playing enough and where all the goodies are. The cities are honestly pretty small, so it's not too hard if you're really into it.
>>
File: grand_theft_gh_map1.jpg (81 KB, 750x531) Image search: [Google]
grand_theft_gh_map1.jpg
81 KB, 750x531
>>2781279
>the game expects you to have a map on hand
It's in the manual. It also mirrors reality, where you don't have a mental blip of yourself on some virtual map.

>find a decent resolution image online
512 or 1024 is sufficient, due to the resolution of the cities. Upscale these pics using nearest neighbor, if necessary.

>you can fail missions because you didn't find the payphone in time to get the next call
It's the city you live in. You don't just get the arrow but also the name of the location of the phone, in your beeper. Use it.

>I know the game is meant more as a "haha I just ran over 12 cops" sand box
You know nothing

>there aren't any good walkthroughs that I can find.
That's because there's no good way to write one. Most of the missions are independent, and you get all the info you need for them from the on-screen texts and your intimate knowledge of the city. If you don't have the latter, obtain it.

>>2781351
>GTA1 is very old school
Indeed, it assumes you are able of thinking, looking at the screen, and navigating a city not just by a virtual map and an arrow. Playing GTA 1 you very quickly learn to figure your location from nearby landmarks, and use the main streets to get near where you want to go. The introduction of the ingame map and minimap is one of the biggest mistakes the game made, as it kills that aspect so throughly, you get confused people like >>2781279 as a result.

>A lot of people would say looking up a map is cheating
And they'd be full of shit. The map came in the manual, and was essential to get started up. It's useless in the long run, because most of the time you won't have time to look at the map to figure out where you are and where you're going.

>The cities are honestly pretty small
You're funny
>>
Top down was crap then and is crap now.
>>
Everybody tells me they perform a service
But the same fuckin' people say they drive 'em nervous
Well make your fuckin' mind up, you stupid twat

If you want to see them cry
Poke 'em in the eye
Put their fingers in the socket and watch them fry

Taxi drivers must die
>>
>>2779145
>because of the controversy it caused?
If I remember right, didn't one of the developers or publishers specifically ask one of the British tabloids to go on a crusade against the game? (Knowing full well it would benefit sales.)
>>
>>2781439
>The map came in the manual

Which you don't get in the freeware version
>>
>>2781439
>dissect post snip by snip fag

Fuck off.
>>
It was one of the first 'adult' games i'd ever played.
Up until then, I think Mortal Kombat was about as violent as i'd ever seen a game get, and even then it was just a fantasy fighter thing where everything was over the top.
In this shit, you could actually kill cops and normal people walking around, and I was always looking over my shoulder to make sure my mom didn't see what I was doing, because I was afraid she'd throw a fucking fit
>>
>>2781502
Its the same marketing formula Mortal Kombat pulled off. Stir up a bunch of outrage/teen awe by being as edgy as possible, and you get a bunch of press coverage for free.
>>
I never even heard about GTA when it came out. The first time I did was when I was poking around on the computers in web design class and it was on there. I didn't know what to do so I just drove around playing virtual Hotwheels. Somehow I missed the big deal when 3 came out too. I think VC was the first I heard of the series, and never played any until 2008.
>>
>>2781351
>A lot of people would say looking up a map is cheating, like it would be in Metroid.

I don't know why so many people have the cartographer bug, as if combing every inch of intentionally obfuscated environments is somehow fun. Its like I could play a game, literally map out every damn bit by hand, and then I've got my map for every future play through after spending hours of my life scratching it down on paper. OR I could download a map, do a quick play through, and move on to something else. Metroid in particular has a number of bullshit rooms where the platforming is more of a pain in the ass than getting there, and a number of spots that are intentionally designed to look exactly like another room to disorient you, right down to having a fake Kraid. Metroid's map wasn't even that inspired. Its just kind of tedious as you back track after the first missile to get the bombs to open up Kraid's Lair. The most interesting bit is going for the early Varia suit with a bomb/space jump, and after that it's pretty much a game of how much do you want to deviate from a straight line to Kraid and Ridley to pick up more missiles, tanks, and maneuverability boosts.
>>
>>2780765
>>2777234
I still remember that stupid laugh when you kill someone. Best GTA.
>>
>>2781513
The freeware version is available through the internet, just like all the manual scans and maps. Rockstar couldn't be arsed to provide a PDF manual. Doesn't mean the game is designed to be played without it.

http://gtamp.com/gta1/
>>
>>2781439
>you won't have time
F6 for pause
>>
>>2781792
Why would you use that key for anything but emergencies? Don't like playing the game, I take it?
>>
>>2781805
>Why would you use that key for anything but emergencies?
missions/kill frenzies count
>>
>>2781848
If you want to play demo mode and miss out on all the actual fun, sure. Just don't consider it a sane recommendation to people that actually want to play the game.
>>
File: san andreas (1).webm (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
san andreas (1).webm
3 MB, 320x240
>>
File: san andreas (2).webm (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
san andreas (2).webm
3 MB, 320x240
literally dodging bullets here
>>
File: san andreas (3).webm (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
san andreas (3).webm
3 MB, 320x240
>>
>>2781536
A tried method, though you need a good base game, or a lot of novelty, for it to work well.
GTA was a good game if you look beyond the controversy, as was Mortal Kombat and Doom, sure they were daring, and that's cool, but their appeal is so lasting because the way the games play are so good.

Recently, Hatred tried to play itself up with edge and shock, it got people riled up, and it certainly got people interested, either through genuine appeal of the content, or from people who wanted the game just to spite SJWs and other chronically offended gits, but as it came out and people played it, well, turns out it's thouroughly mediocre in every sense, there really isn't anything special about the game beyond the edgy themes.

Sure, the sales are higher than they would have been without the controversy, but ultimately, nobody is going to remember Hatred for it's gameplay, it's writing, or it's characters, 10 years from now, people will look back and say "Man, remember the controversy with Hatred? That was dumb."
>>
GTA 2 IS BEST GTA

Soul Makin'.
Sound Shakin', Earthquakin'.

Change...
>>
>>2777240

*****OFFICIAL GTA POWER RANKINGS*****

1. GTA VICE CITY
2. GTA V
3. GTA
4. GTA SAN ANDREAS
5. GTA 2
6. GTA 3
<<<POWER GAP>>>
7. GTA IV + EPISODES
>>
One thing I really loved about the two originals was how they had a tv game show touch to them. When a level loaded up in GTA1 you'd get an announcer voice saying "GRRRR-AAAAND THEFT AUTO!" and a crowd would be cheering, like the start of a game show. Similar thing happened with the kill frenzy pickups.

GTA 2 also had a gameshow thing. "Armor!" "Health!" with the pickups etc, and the way the fucker would laugh during kill frenzies never got old.

This all went really well with the points based arcade-y aspects of the first two. I loved how the objective was to make a certain amount of earnings/score to beat a level. The multiplier system for when you completed missions or successfully did a KF was also well thought out.
>>
>>2782932
>1. GTA VICE CITY

Stopped right there.
>>
>>2783059
They were most definitely influenced by Smash TV.

The announcer even sounds similar.
>>
>>2783059
I think that's a thing which was slightly recaptured in Saint's Row 3, with that Genki show. (in retrospect, SR3 feels a bit like GTA2 in a few ways)

I really miss that dark humoristic streak and the immature bullshit the old games had, I'm sad that Grand Theft Auto is trying to be mature and serious now.

No more Hare Krishna/Elvis lines, no Smash TV style announcer, no more dumb fucking dick jokes every other block, yeah they actually got tiring in San Andreas, but you know what? I'd rather have a GTA with too many dickjokes than barely any at all.

Grand Theft Auto was supposed to be immature, bizarre, stupid, juvenile, almost cartoonish.
For as great as 5 is in it's own respects, it lacks that old magic.
>>
>>2783169
Pretty sure GTA games still make a point of including 69 anywhere they can.
>>
I think that everyone should take a copy of GTA 2 for PS1 and stick it up their asses while looking at pictures of Hillary Clinton. They suck

>what do I think?
>>
>Ctrl+F gouranga
>0 results

It's like you guys never even Hare Krishna
>>
>>2777230
I'll never be able to get over the controls.
>>
>>2783441
The only thing I remember bugging me about the controls is that reversing the car doesn't work as I expected it. I'd always go the wrong direction.
What problem have you had with the controls?
>>
>>2783447
Up being forward, instead of up being up. Fixed topdown games like that just always fuck with me for some reason.
>>
>>2783169
>I really miss that dark humoristic streak and the immature bullshit the old games had, I'm sad that Grand Theft Auto is trying to be mature and serious now.
Dude the only one that fucked that up was GTA IV. Thankfully it seems they quickly learnt their lesson and fixed it with GTA V. Even GTA IV was still loaded with dark humour and satire though, like for example the made up advertisements that you see, the shit you hear on the radio, the things pedestrians say, etc.
>>
The only problem I had with these games was the saving system.

To my knowledge GTA1 didn't have one so for the last level you'd need to make a ridiculous score to win (6 mil iirc). There's no way I could just leave gta running like that for ages and I didn't feel like playing it continuously at a stretch that long. As a result I never managed to beat the final city.

GTA 2 did have a save system but I often couldn't find the fucking church. I know if you jack a TV van the antenna would point towards it but even finding a TV van isn't easy. Driving around for ages just looking for that place wasn't fun. I guess it would have been fine if I had the map but I had a pirated version. Oh well.
>>
>>2783483
In GTA 1 you were supposed to make the score through missions, which grows your multiplier. Basically, an hour or three of un-wasted carnage, and you got it. Just randomly killing people or stealing cars, is not sufficient, not even in Liberty City. Vice City is just an asshole level, with ridiculously difficult missions, and you need to do them, to get the score up.

>I often couldn't find the fucking church
It's just another variant of really having to learn the city. The same was necessary in GTA 1. Knowing, recognizing and navigating the landmarks is crucial to get to the key points swiftly.

>I guess it would have been fine if I had the map but I had a pirated version
The map was usually shared as well. And yes, it's kind of necessary at the start. In the long run, you're beter off recognizing parts of the city, to navigate the main roads to move yourself close enough to the target, that you can actually find it. That said, I never liked GTA 2 myself, in part because the city was fictional and much more "uniform" than the cities in GTA 1.
>>
Only thing I didn't like about GTA 1 was that if you failed a mission you couldn't retry it, which is made worse by the fact that there's no save system.
>>
>>2783501
>if you failed a mission you couldn't retry it
Just like in reality. Better don't fail, or if you do, hope you won't fail the next one.

>there's no save system
It's a level based game, and each level takes a moderate amount of time to get through
>>
>>2783507
I'm just glad 2 corrected those little flaws while maintaining the challenging gameplay.
>>
>>2783516
GTA 2 introduced enough other flaws making it nearly unplayable for me, see >>2783489
>>
>>2783489
>In GTA 1 you were supposed to make the score through missions, which grows your multiplier.
yeah no shit. I got to the third city in the original, which obviously wasn't without the missions/multiplier. even with the missions/multiplier I wasn't gonna play at a single stretch to hit the 5 million target for vice city... especially on top of the fact that the vice city missions were fucking hard like you said. iirc they also paid much less than the missions in the other levels.

About memorization, the problem to me was that the whole thing looked really similar for the most part. The only thing I had kinda memorized was the first version of Liberty City. In 30 seconds I'd have body armor, get out of jail free, pistol and machine gun. I knew where all the KFs were, too, and could immediately drive to them. Also knew where many of the police bribes were. Then there were bits and pieces I knew of the other levels but no way I had them memorized.
>>
GTA 2 map was decently easy to memorize (apart from some of the industrial alleys and shit), but GTA 1 was a killer for me.

Fucking Vice City bridges, pools, fences & trees.
>>
>>2783687
Vice City was a shit map, but San Andreas was brilliant
>>
File: CTW.jpg (313 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CTW.jpg
313 KB, 1920x1080
In my opinion the true successor to GTA 1 and 2, the third GTA, is Chinatown Wars. It has all the top down goodness and car focused gameplay, while also including some of the more modern convenience features that some enjoy. No desktop version, but PPSSPP fixes that easily
>>
File: sa.png (67 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
sa.png
67 KB, 512x512
>>2783689

Absolutely.

Docks at sailor's wharf, marina, the south highway, golden gate. Great map. I only disliked some of the SA cars.
>>
>>2783690
I played it very briefly on my friend's PSP. From the brief time I had with it it seemed fucking excellent.
>>
>>2777249
I DON'T HAVE MUCH IN THIS LIFE
IT'S THE CELLS THAT KEEP ME FROM LOSIN MUH HEEEAAAD
IN THIS WORLD WHICH WE LIVE IN STRIFE
YOU GOTTA GIVE ME ONE MORE JESUS JUST TO SETTLE MY SINS

MEN FOLK FOUND THEIR WOMEN SCARY 'CUZ THEY WERE SO BIG N' HAIRY
>>
>>2777249
>Finding the right way around this map
>Might be pretty hard cause he's f***ed on crack
It's funny 'cause if you had a pirated copy you didn't have the map.

Also playing GTA while that song was playing when I was 11 made me feel evil kek.
>>
File: Untitled.png (19 KB, 579x166) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
19 KB, 579x166
These two games weren't reviewed particularly well and it's something I never understood. I didn't know a single person as a kid that didn't absolutely love these two games. They were so much fucking fun and innovative on top of it. I thought the whole concept was fantastic - that top-down city helicopter view of a criminal causing havoc throughout the city. The sense of freedom was amazing and there was nothing else like it at the time and the art style was fucking cool. Sounded great, excellent soundtrack and the missions were not only fun but the writing was funny, too.
>>
In GTA 1 what did the cops say when they busted you? Could never make it out, sounded something like, "Spread 'em, punk!"

Also they need to rerelease these games on PSN. They'd be more fun to play on TV than on PC. I know a PSX versions exist but fuck that, a PS4 PC-version rerelease in 1080p would be a lovely thing. Hell even make a PC version rerelease with updates like hotline miami controls. It would undoubtedly be a quick easy buck if priced right.
>>
>>2783721
80 is a pretty nice score, when score inflation was not as crazy, and fairly represents that as great as the games were, they were not without flaws. Viewing distance is a bitch, tank controls are not for everybody, some vehicles are uncontrollable and some of the cities have difficult-to-navigate designs. None of these game breaking flaws, but that's why the game's rating is closer to 80 than 50
>>
>>2783724
>They'd be more fun to play on TV than on PC
That's why, one of the first things to do when emulating is hooking your TV up to your computer. Emulators are best controlled from your couch. Also works for unemulated games, like GTA 1 Windows, especially when it's controller-mapped
>>
>>2783690
I never liked GTA in general but really like this one. Should I play 1 and 2?
>>
>>2783739
You should certainly give both of them a try. Be prepared for a rough start though. They're much more open and undirected, compared to CTW, and you'll need to spend a non-trivial amount of time to get at least a general feeling for the city you're in. There are no mission markers, just general directional arrows, so if you don't know your way around the city, it's gonna be harsh. However when you DO get that feeling, and actually manage to do the missions, it feels quite rewarding, so in my opinion it's worth it, at least for Liberty City and San Andreas. GTA 2 adds more things to do, and an even more freeform mission system, but I never got along with the fictional city. Regardless, I'd strongly recommend you try it, and see for yourself.
>>
>>2783721
GTA has a high learning curve and isn't very friendly for retro-tourism. I'm doing a playthrough right now and I'm not liking it too well because the amount of foreknowledge required is just nuts. Like not knowing the start of the second level of Liberty City involves you starting in Ardler instead of Park, which is disorienting because the first level ends in an alley near the coast and the second level starts near the coast, except one island down.

If you don't know exactly where you are going, it can be a real pain to navigate via compass. For example, Law Island has 3 fucking bridges, being told to go to the Law Island bridge isn't that helpful. Navigation is manageable, but it feels like I'm spending more time figuring out directions than I am playing the game, unless you get a mission that isn't time based and the way points for the next task aren't too far away from each other.
>>
>>2783967
Do stuff that's not missions, to get to know the city better, and don't hesitate to use the maps. The "foreknowledge" required is entirely obtainable by spending enough time in the city

>but it feels like I'm spending more time figuring out directions than I am playing the game
Figuring out directions is part of playing the game. The game is much more freeform than modern GTAs. You're strongly encouraged to roam the city by yourself, use the bomb shops, resprays, sell cars, kill stuff, etc. The missions bring you the big points, but to master the missions, you got to know the city, and that's where all the other stuff comes into play.
>>
File: gta2.jpg (488 KB, 1625x884) Image search: [Google]
gta2.jpg
488 KB, 1625x884
When I played GTA 2 I made a spreadsheet to help me budget my mission rewards vs the cost of saving the game so I knew when would be the best times to save. It's been years so I don't really understand my own spreadsheet anymore but I still have it.
>>
>>2784481
That's the single most autistic thing I've read so far on /vr/. Congratulations I guess.
>>
>>2784675
But making your own maps for Metroid is normal? Yeah okay. This took like 10 minutes max so it's not like I spent all day on it.
>>
>>2783693
>forgetting the insane stunt bonus ramp
I loved it when you fucked up the jump and you landed only for the Penetrator to immediately explode.
>>
>>2784740
Yeah, I don't know what that guy's problem is. I guess people see something they don't understand or know how to make and just think "autism". I thought it was neat that I'm not the only person plugging shit in to spreadsheets to do quick math on lists.
>>
>>2784787
It's only a simple spreadsheet. I've used AMPL to optimize resource use in games.
>>
>>2783721
Well, they had flaws. Tank controls on foot were a really bad idea and made pistol practically useles - nothing below SMG/Machine Gun was actually viable in combat (they probably should've gone with Contra style 8 directional controls). So yeah, they were really good driving games but on foot run'n'gun parts were pretty bad. That alone is enough to take away couple points off'em. They were very innovative and groundbreaking, and a lot of fun, but far from perfect.
>>
I, for one, like that excel spreadsheet. Nice work man. Do residential and industrial too.

About the commands - GTA 1 had the touch of realism - one shot, you're dead. Aim properly - / instead of the 10 heart stars in GTA 2, but controlling the character in 2 was a lot better (jumps, gun control)
>>
File: retrocityrampagemockup.png (3 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
retrocityrampagemockup.png
3 MB, 1024x768
I think Retro City Rampage is the sequel to GTA 2 we've all been waiting for
>>
Will GTA ever leave behind the Liberty City / San Andreas / Vice City setup?

Part of me thinks it could be cool, but the other thinks it's safer just sticking to it.

with improving hardware, just increasing the outskirt area seems preferable to creating a full new city. So the state of San Andreas, or the Vice City metro area just keep growing.
>>
>>2785514
Nope. It's actually pretty shit. Like someone just took a list of video game memes and built a shitty gta clone around it. Also not retro.
>>
Back when it first came out on the PS1 I knew all the maps in my head, could race around and get anywhere easily. I tried to replay recently and just got fucking annoyed. At least in GTA2 you had health instead of dying from a single bullet.
>>
>>2785518
I mean, you make some fair points, but I didnt actually buy the game, so I enjoy it w/o that feeling of whether I got my money's worth.
>>
>>2785406
If you could aim/turn with the mouse when on foot that'd help monumentally.

Also some sort of aiming indicator would be nice, lining up a straight shot with the pistol is practically impossible, and it's extra frustrating when the AI has pretty good aim with the pistol most of the time, and can turn faster than you, if you both have pistols, the computer still outguns you, you NEED the machinegun.
>>
>>2777270
"Joy Ride". Track 3 on the GTA1 CD. Composed by Chris Connor, who has done the music on every GTA game to date.
>>
>>2777230
I've only played 2 but I liked the topdown 2d style more than the 3d.
It was a lot sillier to me, more fun to fuck around and interesting to get on roofs and secrets.

Mostly had fun with the oil spill, put it somewhere and come back later to find absolute chaos. The factions were also funny, smileyguys and yakuza especially.
>>
>>2785691
the song title is actually "Grand Theft Auto"
>>
>>2785517
GTA London had the right idea. As varied as San Andreas, Vice City and Liberty City are, they're all US cities and share a lot of US mentality and space. Give us the seemingly random and highly cramped downtowns of old european cities, and their specific subcultures. Just imagine, Naples, the (real) mafia, and some mad chases on Vespa scooters up and down the old narrow alleys, or the coke-fueled financial downtown of Frankfurt, or the gang wars in the Paris suburbs.
>>
>>2786037
Gta is all about satire and parody of American culture, I think a Euro setting would be great but I doubt that they'll ever revisit that angle.
>>
>>2783975
this.
exactly this is what you are supposed to do and the sandbox "mode" kicks in.
>>
>>2785879
no it's not. it's called 'joyride' by da shootaz, not even the same poster.
>>
>>2785514
I remember beating this game and...
forgetting absolutely everything about it.
I couldn't tell you what happened, what missions there were, or if it was actually a good game.
>>
>>2786252
the official title is 'Grand Theft Auto'

or if you want to go full hipster, call it 'Gangster Friday'
>>
>>2786103
I did finally get a handle on Liberty City, although I maintain the lack of a map was a terrible decision. At the very least keeping the city section on screen would help, although street names would have been better. I think I finally put my finger on why the game is such a pain in the ass: it doesn't really give you a very good idea of what you CAN do, so there isn't a lot of incentive to explore, and because missions are the most obvious thing that there is an indicator for, new players will try those and then get frustrated because you can't just follow the arrow without a larger meta knowledge of the map. It also doesn't get explained very well that the first thing you should do is look for crates to smash for essential powerups like armor, multipliers, and get out of jail free cards.
>>
>>2787097
>so there isn't a lot of incentive to explore

If anything all the one shot deaths and general difficulty is a big incentive NOT to explore if you intend to make any serious progress in the game. The last think you want to do is go screw around and get yourself killed and game over when you're so close to beating a level. Thankfully the save feature in 2 fixed that, but it's still surprising 1 didn't have one too.
>>
>>2787097
>the lack of a map was a terrible decision
One of the best decisions the game could make. So many "exploration" based games contain a minimap or an ingame map, and it makes the entire game world useless. People don't look at the world in game. They just follow the arrow, or look at the tiny minimap to navigate, using the big screen only for obvious obstacles. Not having a minimap means the player has to actually read the environment, and gains an entirely different view of it.

>it doesn't really give you a very good idea of what you CAN do
What ever you want, you'll figure it out

>so there isn't a lot of incentive to explore, and because missions are the most obvious thing that there is an indicator for, new players will try those and then get frustrated because you can't just follow the arrow without a larger meta knowledge of the map
I don't even know where to begin with this statement. No, the game will not tell you how to play it. It assumes you're a thinking human being, that can make such decisions on their own. Yes, you will get your ass kicked on the missions, if you don't know where you're going. Anybody with a brain will understand that message and go exploring to fix that gap in knowledge. This lack of direction, of handholding, of tutorializing and of telling you what to do is precisely what makes this game work. If you're frustrated by it, that's your fault, not the game's.

>It also doesn't get explained very well
That's a running theme with you, isn't it? Think. Don't expect the game to tell you how you should play it. Do stuff, look at what happens, learn from it.
>>
>>2787207
>If anything all the one shot deaths and general difficulty is a big incentive NOT to explore if you intend to make any serious progress in the game
Guess you're not cut out of the gangsta life. No risk, no fun. You get plenty of opportunities in this game to learn how to dodge bullets. By the time you reach Vice City it's a mandatory skill anyway, as the missions will shower you in them, repeatedly.

>Thankfully the save feature in 2 fixed that, but it's still surprising 1 didn't have one too.
GTA 1 is arcade in its nature. You got no shops, no money, just score (no currency sign next to the score), and you get "one session" to rake in that score, and many attempts to improve on your score. If you die, you start over, and don't die next time. You don't save in that kind of game. You wreak havoc, and do so until you're dead or on top of the score list.
>>
>>2787223
>Guess you're not cut out of the gangsta life
for the gangsta life
>>
>>2787097
ACTUALLY, when you bought the originals you had a physical paper map! So, just download it somewhere and if needed print it.
>>
>>2786335
Gangster Friday is the menu music, performed by Slumpussy.
Grand Theft Auto is the song in GTA and GTA3, performed by Da Shootaz.
>>
>>2787097
Tbh I like the lack of map because, one, it really makes you feel like a newcomer that freshly arrives into the city and has no idea what is going on. Second, cities are small enough that you can easily memorize them. And three, it makes cities feel so much more bigger and vast than they really are.

Personally I got the maps bundled with the game but I never used them, I preferred learning the city street by street.
>>
>>2785514
It's not even retro styled. Like, it has retro graphics but it has all trappings of modern game design. I mean, fuck, it even has cover shooting, what the hell?
>>
>>2785607
Tbh I'm mostly amazed when I realize how much changing the perspective makes, because when you consider it, there's technically zero difference between the way Doom and GTA control, but in one the same way of aiming is perfect and intuitive, and in the other it's unplayable just due to different viewing angles.
>>
>>2787527
People don't realize it, but how you percieve your surroundings makes a monumental difference towards how you orient yourself in it.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica has almost the same controls as Resident Evil 4, but they play radically different, because one is played from a fixed perspective camera, and one is with a 3rd person chasecam.

Doom and Wolf3D with keyboard only or gamepad plays fairly similarly, though those games had native support for using a mouse for turning.
>>
>>2787250
I know the game came with maps, unless you got the ps1 collection with 1, 2 and London, in which case you're screwed. It still makes me glad people wised up and stopped including necessary manuals with games.
>>
>>2787731
>unless you got the ps1 collection with 1, 2 and London, in which case you're screwed

The maps came with that honey
>>
>>2787731
>It still makes me glad people wised up and stopped including necessary manuals with games.
Why? Seems like a decent way to hinder pirating and reselling.
>>
Did anyone play GTA3 top down?
>>
>>2777230
Wasn't there a button to make you burp and fart? Shit was awesome. Needs to come back in GTA VI.

>>2778784
>for their time
>Meaningless argument.
I hate this meme. Standards change and evolve. Just like technology in general can be good for its time, but then gets outclassed. The first potbelly stove was "good for its time", but we have fucking central heating now, and that shit is old and busted.
>>
>>2787865
technology indeed has advances

entertainment, not so much. you don't need super-high eye candy to make Tetris still fun
>>
>>2787948
>technology indeed has advances
>entertainment, not so much.
Bullshit. Especially in the realm of electronic entertainment.

>you don't need super-high eye candy to make Tetris still fun
Because Tetris is actually a better game than GTA.
>>
>>2787523
Keep in mind that the GTA maps, including the ones in GTA 1, are made to look like tourist guides. It's fair to have them, even in this context. Nothing wrong with discovering the city on your own though.
>>
Where to find Rockstar Classics download?
>>
>>2788272
chip.eu
>>
REMINDER. THE FIRST 3 GTA GAMES, INCLUDING LONDON STORIES, ARE FREEWARE

now im going to bed
>>
>>2788320

Everyware is a freeware in the internet
>>
>>2787816
Gave it a go but it doesn't really work, not on foot anyway, I don't think it really zoomed out far enough, also, if I recall right, if you ran while shooting the Micro Uzi you'd go in circles for some reason, don't quite understand what they were thinking there.

Driving worked a little better but it still didn't zoom out enough I felt.
>>
>>2788280
Thanks! But it seems GTA2 doesn't work?
>>
>>2783223
buckfast
>>
File: yellow leather jacket.jpg (207 KB, 940x1320) Image search: [Google]
yellow leather jacket.jpg
207 KB, 940x1320
What's with the yellow jacket and blue jeans combo? Looks like some trendy late 90s - early 00s fashion thing.
>>
File: Chuck.png (1 MB, 1024x1869) Image search: [Google]
Chuck.png
1 MB, 1024x1869
>>2791093
What's wrong with a yellow leather jacket and jeans?
>>
>>2791318
Nothing wrong with it, it's just a strange combination. Why would some gangbang courier dress up in flashy yellow jacket that cops can see from miles away?
>>
File: The_Vice_Kings.jpg (94 KB, 1116x795) Image search: [Google]
The_Vice_Kings.jpg
94 KB, 1116x795
>>2791439
So the player can see their tiny ass character from 100 ft directly above them, yellow contrasting really well with the street color. Also, Aposematism: using color so everyone else knows to stay the fuck away. Yellow especially is associated with caution on street signs. Also, it's a game, so having flashy colors is more important than proper urban camo.

Its not like someone went with yellow on a lark or as a fashion statement. It serves a very specific purpose as far as the graphical design of the game goes.
>>
>>2783223
NEKKID
>>
File: c-c-combo breaker.png (246 KB, 503x352) Image search: [Google]
c-c-combo breaker.png
246 KB, 503x352
>be running around vice city
>Building multiplier
>doing missions
>Trying to get 3 mil to finish the level
>Down to last guy
>Decide to steal cars and sell them at the docks to finish of what I need
>Get run over trying this
>twice

asdwdawdlakjfasflivlasn

People always stop and let me steal their car except at that one lower right street corner of Vice Beach, where they will obliviously run my ass down.
>>
>>2793828
should have just shot the place up family
>>
>>2782932
2 is better than 1
Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.