[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm really fond of story-rich RPGs set in modern-era (i.e.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
I'm really fond of story-rich RPGs set in modern-era (i.e. late 20th century) Earth, but when I try to think of classic examples, only Earthbound comes to mind.
What else fits this description?
>>
Persona?
>>
File: makamka.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
makamka.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
There are quite a few set in a modern-era, on the Super Famicom at least.
The SMT series is modern.
Idea no Hi and Maka Maka
Gokinjo Boukentai
Adventures of Hourai High
>>
File: gokinjo boukentai.jpg (198 KB, 1000x700) Image search: [Google]
gokinjo boukentai.jpg
198 KB, 1000x700
>>2776614
In fact, a lot of the Megaten games are, or at least partially.
>>
>>2776621

I came to post this, too bad there's no translation.

the music for that game is incredibly good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iPgH_rgVjY&index=18
>>
>>2776605
Fallout technically counts, given that it's stuck in the 50s
>>
>>2776714
It's not stuck in the 50s, it's set in the style of future predicted by the 50s.

2161 ain't the good old days, it's what happens when you have a world that didn't invent transistors and then picked a fight with China.

OP asked for late 20th century, not mid-22nd.
>>
>>2776605
Secret of Evermore, kinda
>>
Nearly any dating sim with stat management.
>>
Terranigma starts early in Earth's life and you eventually reach modern day. Unfortunately, the modern part doesn't last long before the end fight.
>>
>>2776736
And that's precisely what Bethesda didn't get
>>
Gulliver Boy is an ARPG in modern age, but not that fun.

And then there is Rent a Hero on the Mega Drive and it's not that good either.
>>
>>2776806
This
>>
>>2776806
I'm curious as to what specifically you're referring to, but hesitant to ask since this isn't /v/.

I also was mistaken about the Fallout universe's lack of transistor; it was invented, but about a hundred years later than had occurred in our timeline. It came only a handful of years before the world blew up, so I guess it didn't really make a difference.

Bethesda's take on the series setting, I'm not so sure it's deserving of criticism. The gameplay certainly, but I think they did a fairly good job of bringing the same design and aesthetics into their take, at least for the first Fallout game they did. I have nothing good to say about New Vegas, so if that's what you meant, I agree entirely.
>>
You might have to look for more modern games, OP. I know the DS has a fair share of what you're looking for with games like Contact and The World Ends with You.
>>
>>2776801
The premise of Terranigma is just great. I wish they did a remake.
>>
Parasite Eve, though I'm not sure if it's "story rich" per your definition.
>>
Shadowrun games are pretty much set in 90s, only claiming to be in future.
>>
Marvelous...kinda.
>>
Hourai High

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/hourai/hourai.htm
>>
>>2779840
>>
>>2779840
>>2779849
I like the art. Is the game any good?
>>
Maten Densetsu Senritsu no Ooparts
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.