[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sega - third party before Dreamcast?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault.jpg (48 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
48 KB, 480x360
Was Sega ALWAYS one to lend its games out to other consoles?

I've seen a lot of Yu Suzuki's games like Afterburner, Outrun, Hang-On, Space Harrier and so on, a lot of what's defined as "classic Sega", was also available on the Turbografx and PCs. There's also the matter of Sonic Pocket Adventure on the Neo Geo Pocket as late as the Dreamcast era. Was Sega just more open to sharing its IP even before they went full third party?
>>
Pretty much just their arcade games. 3rd party companies like Sunsoft and NEC Avenue were reaponsible for the ports.

Though for some odd reason

Penguin Land was ported to gameboy

Fantasy Zone II was ported to nes
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (98 KB, 1184x666) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
98 KB, 1184x666
>>2776207
yeah I never understood why Sonic was on the Neo Geo Pocket, or Gamecom for that matter.
>>
>>2776236
the neo geo pocket was planned to have compatibility with the dreamcast in the same way pokemon stadium did, but then snk went bankrupt the following year.
>>
There's Nintendo games on the Intellivision and Atari too. No way would anything like that happen these days.
>>
>>2776280

Donkey Kong was the killer app of the Coleco Vision.

Then again, Nintendo didn't do proper consoles until 1983 with the Famicom.
>>
>>2776236
Sonic was on Game.Com because Tiger had the license to lots of game franchises for their LCD games.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbhhJ3ps2Ys
seems legit
>>
>>2776236
>>2776259
Sega and Bandai wanted to combine. But hours before the deal went through someone backed out.
>>
>>2776207
A better question is, why did Sony give Nintendo Ridge Racer and Wipeout? Everyone was so friendly during that generation :3c
>>
>>2777275
Believe it or not it's even worse than it looks. The screen is so shit it just looks like a blurry mess on the actual console
>>
File: Ghostbusters_videogame_front2.jpg (136 KB, 300x376) Image search: [Google]
Ghostbusters_videogame_front2.jpg
136 KB, 300x376
>>2777294
an even betterer question is why did Sony let Ghostbuster The Videogame be on xbox360 at all let alone let the xbox360 version be the primary development platform meaning their own PS3 got an inferior version. Basically these large companies' left hand never know what their right hand is doing
>>
>>2777339
>bettered
>xbox360

What the hell are you doing here?
>>
>>2777294
>>2777339
Are you two stupid or something? Sony didn't own those games.
>>
>>2777370
I like how you have factual evidence on the ownership of the ridge racer ip.
>>
>>2777370
Sony owns the IP of Ghostbusters and has since they bought Columbia Pictures many years ago dumbfuck
>>
>>2777342
pointing out how companies sometimes allow their intellectual properties be on competing companies products through the segregation of their different divisions
>>
>>2777397
There are different rights for different media, you shitface. If simply owning an IP was the end of it, then Marvel could just ignore the movie rights it sold off to other movie companies. In the case of the Ghostbusters game, the IP was licensed to the developer, who then decided to go multi with it. I bet next you're going to complain about Ghostbusters being in Lego Dimensions.
>>
File: reasontolive.png (10 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
reasontolive.png
10 KB, 240x160
>>2777375
I like how Ridge Racer is a famous series owned by a famous company called Namco who isn't owned by Sony and thus can do whatever the fuck they want with their franchise. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>2777370
Sony owns Pygnosis who makes Wipeout, so it is kind of weird that it ended up on the Saturn and N64.
>>
>>2777898
Can I have sources with that or did you just pull it out your ass?
>>
File: ridge-racer-usa.jpg (146 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ridge-racer-usa.jpg
146 KB, 600x600
>>2778030
see the part where it says namco?
>>
>>2778068
Seems like you were right and I was wrong, nice talking to you, anonymous, have a nice day. :)
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.