[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Adventurous platformers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 25
File: smb2u.jpg (910 KB, 1600x1876) Image search: [Google]
smb2u.jpg
910 KB, 1600x1876
Straight platformers that feel were adventurous without being a metroidvania. One that really feels like a journey where you see and expierence.... stuff. An adventure.

I think SMB2 did that rather well. You know, in the first level you climb up a waterfall to reach the peak of the mountain to fight a dragon. Or the second level in which you steal a magic carpet, go into a giant vase, to find a key and get chased by an evil mask. And then there is the level where you jump from whale to whale, which is kinda beautiful.
The game has some really creative and imaginative places. Probably because it wasn't supposed to be Mario. Whatever, it works. Regular Mario feels like ruining through tileset after tileset, which is also pretty fun, but not adventurous.

Rocket Knight Adventures and Little Ralph come to my mind. In those games all the levels are interlinked, lots of cool locations and many bosses to fight. Very fun games.
>>
File: Faxanadu.jpg (389 KB, 679x800) Image search: [Google]
Faxanadu.jpg
389 KB, 679x800
So basically adventure platformers that came out before SotN.
>>
>>2775628
It's almost sort of metroidvania so it may not be what you're looking for, but Simon's Quest was one of my favorite games as a kid for that very reason.

Ecco the Dolphin isn't exactly a platformer but gives me a lot of those feelings as well.

Metal Warriors also not exactly a platformer, but very open and adventury feeling.
>>
File: littlenemones.jpg (213 KB, 640x875) Image search: [Google]
littlenemones.jpg
213 KB, 640x875
>>
>>2775628
>Probably because it wasn't supposed to be Mario.

it was a Mario game before it was Doki Doki Panic
>>
File: ackshyually.png (24 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
ackshyually.png
24 KB, 200x200
>>2775705
>How to specifically trigger my autist rage
No offense but that's bullshit. Doki Doki Panic was no more a Mario game than Kid Icarus. Less so, really. I was pretty sure I edited the Wikipedia article but maybe I need to do it again. Miyamo to gave the original coder a few pointers to the tune of suggesting the vertical-co-op block-stacking game they were developing be made "more mario-like" which was pretty standard advice for any game looking for direction at the time. Then, after he'd assisted some more in the design of DDP he decided that he liked it so much he wanted to see it converted into a full Mario game since DDP was entirely likely to fall into obscurity.

This entire misconception among fedoras that DDP "started out" as a mario game is based completely on one fentence in a Famitsu magazine articla that was poorly translated and then further taken out of context.
>>
File: smb2.png (196 KB, 900x1080) Image search: [Google]
smb2.png
196 KB, 900x1080
>>2775728
Interesting.
>>
>>2775702
this is a good one
>>
File: faxanadu1.jpg (1 MB, 1528x2100) Image search: [Google]
faxanadu1.jpg
1 MB, 1528x2100
This comes to mind.
>>
File: 220px-HolyUmbrellaBoxArt.jpg (33 KB, 220x402) Image search: [Google]
220px-HolyUmbrellaBoxArt.jpg
33 KB, 220x402
this ones pretty fun, but it has rpg style top down villages
>>
Legend of mystic ninja or ganbare gomen I BELIEVE it was called in japan
>>
Bonk's Adventure
Legend of Hero Tonma
Donkey Kong Country series

Are normal platforms that feel pretty "adventurous"
>>
File: 56387-Mystery_Quest_(USA)-1.jpg (110 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
56387-Mystery_Quest_(USA)-1.jpg
110 KB, 512x480
>>
File: gfs_15174_2_77.jpg (85 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
gfs_15174_2_77.jpg
85 KB, 800x600
>>2775903

You're right.

Goemon's Great Adventure on the N64 is incredibly good, you have to go back to interact with people in town, go back to previous levels to do sidequest/take alternate routes and even do a part-time job mini-game answering a phone hot line on a floating town.
I'd say it lives up to the Great Adventure title.
>>
File: 6455123645312.jpg (76 KB, 390x550) Image search: [Google]
6455123645312.jpg
76 KB, 390x550
so many memorable set-pieces
>>
File: Level_Map.png (314 KB, 1460x586) Image search: [Google]
Level_Map.png
314 KB, 1460x586
Finally i'm giving this one a chance and OMG, it feels like a trip to hell
>>
File: Hammerin' Harry cover.png (399 KB, 500x503) Image search: [Google]
Hammerin' Harry cover.png
399 KB, 500x503
>>2776123
That's kinda the point of cinematic platformers. To feel grand, adventurous and well... cinematic. Well, definitely not the wrong answer.

Hammerin Harry, much simpler, but still feels adventurous. Fighting ghosts, aliens, vulcanos and flying through the air on a plane and even as super man was just really cool.
>>
File: hurr.png (50 KB, 345x400) Image search: [Google]
hurr.png
50 KB, 345x400
>>2777173
>>
>>2777180
lmao nice
>>
I know what you are talking about OP <3
Give me shit, for coming up with an indie game, but tiny barbarian DX gives me exactly that feel. "Story" is told through 5 seconds animations during gameplay, all levels are interlinked and their transitions are depicted in a funny way. No fancy gameplay mechanics, good old action platforming. Highly recomned.
>>
>>2775635
First thing that came to mind, though that artwork is absolute shit.
>>
File: dungeon01.jpg (99 KB, 480x744) Image search: [Google]
dungeon01.jpg
99 KB, 480x744
Dragon Slayer IV/Legacy of the Wizard
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari/River City Ransom
Dragon Quest VII

I like dungeon-exploring games too. The first Wizardry definitely gives intense adventure vibes.
>>
The first Crash Bandicoot, though I wish the level progression was more consistent (it's not terrible, but there are some weird ones, like the poorly placed snowy bridge levels).

I also wish there was any explanation for how Crash made it from one island to the next, but overall, it feels like an adventure.
>>
>>2776170

What game?
>>
>>2778081
super ghouls and ghosts
>>
Adventure Island. It's in the name, for crying out loud!

Also, Gargoyle's Quest, although it could be argued that that doesn't count at all.
>>
>>2778327
and more so, Super Adventure Island which makes it more of an adventure game a la Zelda 2.
>>
>>2775640
>almost sort of metroidvania
This is literally 50% of the namesake of metroidvania, are you high?
>>
>>2777436
Your mom's absolute shit
>>
>>2778384

Reqt
>>
>>2777858

That guy's map looks way better than any of mine. I always did rigorously frid based maps. I lack in artistry and am full of autism I suppose.
>>
>>2778369
Metroidvania was specifically coined for Symphony of the Night (by either Scott Sharkey or Jeremy Parish, they each blame the other). So technically, though Simon's Quest is basically what we would now call a Metroidvania, it wasn't at the time.
>>
>>2775728
Post the Famitsu article so we can verify it for ourselves them. Without any source it's hard to say who's right either way
>>
>>2775628
>princess is just standing around looking scared and being useless despite being the canon most powerful member of the team

Good drawing overall but really? I'm sure this person has played the game so it's kind of an egregious error.
>>
>>2775628
I'm going to disagree with you on "Regular Mario" 3 and World both have an adventures feeling to me. In 3 you trek across varied lands with enemies patrolling between levels, you can break rocks to open new paths, walk over draw bridges that open and close and hitch a ride in a canoe. You find the citizens of the worlds in houses were they help you, or play a game with you, and the airships don't just sit around but if you lose fly about the world.

World takes it even further for me. Your on in a single large world far from the mushroom kingdom looking through it's plains, forests and caves. And for a new world things look noticeably different. All new fire flower, no brick blocks but flip blocks There's no inhabitants but the Yoshis and fittingly there's less man made looking stuff about even in the levels. Well SMB had it's polished looking stone blocks and 3 had all it's wood World has little in they way of stone walls jutting up preferring to use the ground to accomplish the same thing, and when stone blocks do show up they're rougher looking. On the world map the only signs of civilization beyond the conquering Koopas are broken down ghost houses and the broken bridges. As you beat levels the map changes and only then is the location of the next level revealed, as if in the level you were cutting your way through the world and making a path rather then following one.And if you beat the special world the whole map changes to show you what Dinosaur land looks like in fall. It's a simple palette swap yes, but even little things like that can go a long way to making a place feel alive.
>>
>>2780230
Also, I feel it's a shame that around SMG2 and NSMB Nintendo seemed to have decided that this kind of creating a living world for Mario wasn't impotent at all any more and that even when he goes to new world they are far less distinct from the Mushroom Kingdom then Dinosaur Land was.
>>
File: 1403590698799[1].jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1403590698799[1].jpg
19 KB, 500x500
>>2779031
It's Wired
http://www.wired.com/2011/04/super-mario-bros-2/

>Guy bangs out little game about stacking blocks to climb shafts
>Imagines it as a co-op game
>Co-op mode turns out beyond technical limitations of Famicom
>Miyamoto gives some input, like he did for lots of games "maybe make it a little more like Mario"
>Fuji TV wants a special limited release disk game to tie in with their Summer promotion
>This game becomes that game, Miyamoto actually starts working on it and putting his flavor into it
>Miyamoto actually starts really liking the game and hates to see it end up as a small release promotional game
>Miyamoto never liked SMB2J, which was just cranked out by the corporate types - his SMB1 engine with harder levels designed by drones
>Miyamoto uses his significant influence with the company to get a slightly reworked DD:P to be released in the US as SMB2

and then furthermore...
>US magazines start a rumor that the Japanese thought their SMB2 was too hard for American gamers
>SMB2:USA sees successful disc release in Japan as well as becoming a popular bootleg cart
>"Lost Levels" comes out in the USA only unfortunately with the bogus All-Stars physics, US gamers realize our SMB2 was way more fun all along
>Some idiot decides to claim it was the original concept for SMB2 on a wiki
>Other idiots parrot this baseless assertion all over forums with undeserved senses of superiority
>I get pissed and write this summary
>>
>>2780384
>Wired
Legit as can be.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (43 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
43 KB, 1280x720
Donald in Maui Mallard
>>
>>2775628
Indiana jones greatest adventure (SNES)
>>
are there any SMB2 romhacks that add completely new levels?
>>
File: what is happening.png (3 KB, 164x127) Image search: [Google]
what is happening.png
3 KB, 164x127
>>2775728
>Actually, it was Doki Doki Panic before it was Mario
>Actually, it was Mario before it was DDP
>Ackchyually, it was never Mario before it was DDP, and was DDP from the start
I don't even know anymore
>>
>>2775728
>Omitting Yume Kojo all the time

Triggered.
>>
File: Sonic2-cover.jpg (46 KB, 300x426) Image search: [Google]
Sonic2-cover.jpg
46 KB, 300x426
>>2781258
I've looked before, but I don't think there are any. All the SMB2 hacks I've ever played are all purely cosmetic.

Anyway, Sonic 2 always felt like a long road trip to me.
>>
File: Ghouls_'N_Ghosts_Map.png (14 KB, 670x224) Image search: [Google]
Ghouls_'N_Ghosts_Map.png
14 KB, 670x224
>>2776170
Ghouls 'n Ghosts map is more like that.
>>
>>2782137
it is one of the longest Sonic games

Sonic 06 is a good 10-20 hours if you do sidequests, at least a few minutes worth of that is loading times. Still recommended If you like kusoge
>>
>>2780612
Very overlooked license classic.
>>
Atomic Runner Chelnov's quest to save his sister Chelmi is one of the most involving run and jump (and shoot!)s of the 16bit era.
>>
File: atomic-runner_3s[1].jpg (117 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
atomic-runner_3s[1].jpg
117 KB, 640x480
>>2785393

Also immensely trippy for a platformer with such a grounded artstyle.
>>
File: 1709504-birdo.png (107 KB, 204x376) Image search: [Google]
1709504-birdo.png
107 KB, 204x376
>>2775628
>in the first level you climb up a waterfall to reach the peak of the mountain to fight a dragon.
>a dragon
As I looked for this image to make a greentext only shitpost with it I noticed the scales. Is Birdo really a dragon?
>>
>>2775876
That game was awesome. You go up a giant tree trunk and go through the branches then get to the tree top. I remember taking a second look at the manual after getting to the green leafy area and realizing the game matched the map, then I remembered the title screen and noticed what the box art was. It all took place in a single giant tree!
>>
File: SRRMap.png (243 KB, 2016x4485) Image search: [Google]
SRRMap.png
243 KB, 2016x4485
Snakes In Space!
>>
The Lion King on the SNES. The visuals and music really come together and make it come alive. Amazing expierence.
>>
File: thisishowIknight.gif (80 KB, 618x490) Image search: [Google]
thisishowIknight.gif
80 KB, 618x490
>>2779332
Citation needed for your waifu's power level.
>>
>>2779013
To me it feels more like one of the first hub worlds. It's definitely more metroidvania point for point but it feels like the prototype for 3D mascot platformers in a way.
>>
>>2775635
Faxanadu was a metroidvania though. I mean, it used keys instead of special abilities but idea is the same.
>>
>>2787515

What is that I must have it.
>>
>>2791061
Snake Rattle' n Roll
>>
>>2787515

That was never made, I wish they would just make it now.

SRnR's second half was complete bullshit, but the first half was incredibly addictive and charming.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.