[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gaming Misconceptions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 7
SMRPG was the first RPG I played, and for a long time I thought that a well timed button press would help me in every RPG. What were some having misconceptions you had when you were younger?
>>
GAMING MISCONCEPTIONS*** I hate mobile
>>
I think as a kid I probably kept pressing Y to run in Yoshi's Island even though you don't really need to, too used to play Mario.
>>
>>2768729
I thought that pokemons were able to evolve slowly in front of my eyes as they grew stronger and always searched for new characteristics in their sprites...
>>
I thought that if I could just somehow clip outside the normal area of play there would obviously be a huge unexplored area with objectives and towns that the developer hid for only really dedicated players.
>>
Posted in another thread but I think it fits better here:

I used to think that retro games were really fragile and had tendency to delete save files randomly for no reason. Some games I was even afraid to beat the final boss because I thought that triggered the cartridge to reset.

I didn't realize until I was like 18 looking back that my step-sister was playing them with her friends and fucking them up.
>>
I thought that holding B and down would make the catch rate 100% after hurting a Pokemon. Every time it didn't work I assumed I had the timing off.
I still do it sometimes
>>
>>2768816
This. Or those blank/unused/unreachable areas of a game where you think "there HAS to be something there".
>>
When I first played FF6 I mashed the A button in battle while waiting for the atb bars to fill thinking it made them go faster.
>>
While playing games like Duke Nukem 3D (without mouselook) and Doom I thought I could see behind corners if I tilted the monitor or watched from the right angle. Of course I knew it wouldn't do anything, but I felt like it helped me to see what's behind the corners.
>>
>>2768859
When I used to play FF6 i had this weird superstition that if I hit R and L 3 times before a fight started that it would increase the likelyhood of getting a pre-emptive attack and decrease likelyhood of back or pincer attack.
>>
>>2768816
I miss this so much. The worst part about getting older is losing the imagination you once had.
>>
File: Originaltruck[1].png (75 KB, 483x406) Image search: [Google]
Originaltruck[1].png
75 KB, 483x406
>I bet this truck does something cool
>>
>>2769154
It comes back if you stop using the internet and start reading books and/or playing challenging games.

Maybe not back to when you were a kid but it DEFINITELY improves.
>>
I thought video games were fun.
>>
File: StarCraftGameLobby.png (182 KB, 597x444) Image search: [Google]
StarCraftGameLobby.png
182 KB, 597x444
>If you hold F4 the map will download faster
>>
>>2768816
Sort of this.
>>
OP if you played legend of dragoon and ff8 after paper mario it wouldnt have seemed like a misconception
>>
>>2769128
>Duke Nukem 3D (without mouselook)
Why would you do that though? It plays the best with a kb+mouse or a gamepad.

I mean, I know that a lot of people played Doom and Wolfenstein 3D with keyboard only, even though they had native support for mouse turning, but Duke is even faster than both at times, so I really cant see how you could do it.
>>
>>2768729
Somewhat related to SMRPG, but when I was younger I assumed there was some sort of "continuity" to the old Mario games, so I was disappointed to find out Bowser was a villain again in Mario 64.
>>
>>2769287

I've played it this way before, back when I first played Duke and I was still used to playing FPSs completely on keyboard (also played Wolf3D, Descent, and Doom this way to begin with). Its pretty tough, I'm not sure how it did it then but I sure as hell couldn't do it now.
>>
>>2769295
I used to think there would be a sequel as good as Legend of the Seven Stars.
>>
I always press to the right when my pokemon takes a particularly damage attack, trying to will the meter to slow down.
>>
>The harder you press the button, they more powerful your attack would be
>>
>>2768729

Playing while holding a turd in my anus would help me finish games quicker.
>>
>>2769434
I hold B to cancel the damage
>>
The original Final Fantasy did a poor job of communicating how effective your equipment was. I ended up going through the game using mostly iron equipment, because I reasoned that iron was a much sturdier material than things like silver, gold, and opal.
>>
>>2768729
Everyone is equal and retards like op didn't exist.
>>
>>2768729
All platformers needed you to jump on enemies to kill them.
>>
>>2768729
I used to think that games would be capable of having prerendered quality graphics if they stopped including prerendered cutscenes.

It used to annoy me when games had CGI cutscenes because I'd think that if they'd used the bad graphics of the actual game in the cutscene, they could use the good graphics during actual gameplay.

To be honest I'm still a bit disappointed we've never had games with the graphic style of 90s prerendered 3D.
>>
>>2769442
This.

Also in Mario Kart, I thought tilting your controller helped steering the driver.
>>
>>2769712
>To be honest I'm still a bit disappointed we've never had games with the graphic style of 90s prerendered 3D.

A lot of it looked like garbage though.

Blizzard were in general pretty good at pre-rendered scenes, done in a different style from pre-rendered graphics.

In Starcraft, the pre-rendered graphics were done in such a way that everything looked sort of mildly stylized, and in "heroic scale" (in that, the scale of objects and characters weren't entirely consistent, things were rendered more with the intent to look readily identifiable instead, everything else second).
In the pre-rendered animations and cutscenes, everything was done in a much more realistic manner (yet still lightly stylized), the team made very good use of light and shadows, contrast, camera and cutting, as well as motion.

If you freeze framed the cinematics in Diablo, though using shadow pretty decently, there was a lot of things you could spot, awkward texture stretching (in that special 90s way), and not quite well done character animations, in Starcraft, they had gotten much better at these things, but also at hiding it, they know the models and animation is only so good right now, so they typically never let a shot linger too long or too close up on some things, they never much show the people out in the light where you get a long good look at them and see how awkward and imperfect they actually are.

Now, looking at say, Heroes of Might & Magic 3, say what you want about the ingame graphics (I think they're alright), but the cutscenes were BAD, they were simply not done with any great deal of proficiency.

I'd say that either ingame graphics done like pre-rendered scenes in those days would look fucking abysmal, or it would require a very particular sort of gameplay.
I don't think you could make an FPS with the graphical style of the Starcraft cinematics, because you have too much free reign, you would have to alter them dramatically.
>>
>>2769431
I used to think there would be a sequel.
>>
>>2768729
>for a long time I thought that a well timed button press would help me in every RPG

Shit, so did I. I can't remember if Mario RPG or CT was my first, since I rented both as a kid before I got one of them for Christmas, I just can't remember the years, but I do remember doing timed presses for other games.

I was also that stupid kid who got SMB1 for Christmas as his very first game and thought if I yanked the controller to the right during a jump Mario would go farther. In retrospect I was really ahead of my time, what about the Wii and all now.
>>
File: not420chan.png (269 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
not420chan.png
269 KB, 1360x768
>>2768729
Not a gaming misconception, but I just added the night theme to 4chan, and now I get confused sometimes and think I'm on 420chan.
>>
>>2770045
>I was also that stupid kid who got SMB1 for Christmas as his very first game and thought if I yanked the controller to the right during a jump Mario would go farther.
You're reminding me of that scene in "A Goofy Movie" where his college aged son is playing a racing game and he's spazzing out with his controller all over the place, and it's not a Wii controller or anything. it's a standard button-based wired controller.

Atleast you're not that asshole who tried to "get the key in order get enough of a high score in Donkey Kong for the Entertainment System Boy to advance to the next level.
http://sydlexia.com/pinballwizard.htm
>>
>>2768816
If I ever make a game I am totally wasting a bunch of time putting this in.
>>
File: NeverForget.png (668 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
NeverForget.png
668 KB, 1360x768
>>2770114
>If I ever make a game I am totally wasting a bunch of time putting this in.
You can start now with RPG Maker.
Learn to pirate RPG Maker in the sticky in the OP of the thread at 4chan.org/vg/RPGmg
>>
>>2770114
Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>2770118
>at 4chan.org/vg/RPGmg
or 4chan.org/vg/rpgmg
The capitals fuck the link for some reason.
>>
>>2769154

Remember when consoles were not electronics and computers with exact specifications but boxes of pure magic which made a game out of portable magic in a cart? That's what I miss about being a kid. I was so hyped for the N64
"Controller Pak, that is the BEST THING EVER. And 133GHz Rombus or sth. like that, I don't know what that is but it is like THE BEST THING EVER, I WANT TO HAVE IT! WANTITWANTITWANTIT"
And seeing the SM64 graphics for the first time, maaan...
>>
>>2770128
Oh god, you just reminded me of when I used to think you could combine games together by taking them apart and swapping pieces with each other. I never actually tried it, but I always thought it would be cool to do.

Damn I'm retarded.
>>
File: cad-20070330-ebfa1.jpg (183 KB, 625x790) Image search: [Google]
cad-20070330-ebfa1.jpg
183 KB, 625x790
>>2770139
>Oh god, you just reminded me of when I used to think you could combine games together by taking them apart and swapping pieces with each other. I never actually tried it, but I always thought it would be cool to do.
When I was younger I put a camera infront of a TV playing Toy Story 1 and 2, thinking somehow the footage would mathmagically add up to Toy Story 3.
>>
>>2770139
>>2770149
Also there's bullshit roomer that Stop N Swap still works in Banjo Kazooie and that you can use a game genie code to use grenade eggs in the first game to unlock a secret passage.
>>
>>2769996
People try telling me Paper Mario was a sequel but I don't buy it.

I'll never understand how such a great game never got a sequel, or why such great games aren't around anymore.
>>
>>2770198
If anything, Mario & Luigi is the true sequel to SMRPG since it was developed by many key Square staff members who made SMRPG.

I still don't think anyhing comes close to SMRPG, though. Paper Mario 2 comes close, but not close enough.
>>
>>2770150
Rare was fucking brilliant to put secret things in the game that could only be accessed with data from a future game.

I mean I know the whole Stop n Swop thing was a bust, but I think they still get credit for the idea alone and for fueling hundreds children's imaginations that games could hide an untold amount of secrets.
>>
>>2770139
There's people who still believe that. Something about a welding torch.

>>2770149
How young were you exactly?
>>
>>2770198
Paper Mario started development as a sequel but at some point became its own thing.
>>
>>2768729
SMRPG was my first RPG too and the timed attack thing stuck with me for a while during the next few RPGs that I played, particularly FF7, to this day, when I replay it I still unconsciously try to time the normal attacks, even though I know it doesn't do anything.
>>
I used to want to be like him. I thought that would make cool and is how to attract a mate.

Turns out in real life being like him is precisely what not to do to achieve those things.
>>
>>2768736
I still do that. It just feels wrong to my muscles to not hold a button when running.
>>
>>2770069
I don't remember that part of A Goofy Movie.
>>
>>2770938
Why didn't you model yourself after Seifer? He's the one who had actually banged Rinoa before.
>>
>>2768729
>revisiting the forest maze once you have toadstool and bowser

I want to know what the guy who took this screenshot was doing
>>
>>2770990
Exactly, Seifer was an alpha as fuck asshole while Squall was just some creepy friendzoned beta. They tricked/forced me to identify more with Squall though because he was an angsty teen just like I was when this game came out.

Well, maybe both characters were pretty angsty. But whatever, I couldn't play as Seifer so that's why it was forced.
>>
>>2768942
I still do this sometimes.
>>
>>2769720
I do this with the Wii U gamepad in MK8. I swear it helps
>>
I thought if you held down A from the second you selected the pokeball in your inventory without letting go it would raise the capture rate in pokemon.

I also thought every trash can in pokemon would have items in it after those one or two in the SS Anne and to this day I still get mad when I check one and it says there's nothing inside in the newer games.
>>
>>2771016
Maybe he was getting a green coin?
Don't you get one for bouncing on the wiggler's head?
Or maybe he was looking for the hidden treasures after scoring a signal pin.
Or maybe he was looking for the hidden room mentioned by the dude in rosetown.
There are a ton of reasons to return to the forest maze.
>>
>>2770149
Me and my friends put a C&C 95 and Red Alert CD's in the tray at the same time and hoped that the two games would converge somehow. For a second we were actually convinced that it actually worked as a skirmish game in RA utilized a similar aircraft sprite as in C&C95.

Silly, good times.
>>
>>2771405
>I also thought every trash can in pokemon would have items in it after those one or two in the SS Anne and to this day I still get mad when I check one and it says there's nothing inside in the newer games.
Motherfucker! I know right?
It's like they're fucking teasing us, like, why persist in putting them in and having a dialog box there hasn't been anything in them since first gen?
>>
>tapping circle after a battle in FF7 would give more experience
>keeping the speedometer needle between 6 and 7 in any racing game would give you a boost start

I was a fucking idiot as a kid.
>>
>>2770139
I tried splicing a PS2 with a Game Gear thinking that the wiring linking the display to the motherboard could just be connected to the PS2's video out. I only wanted a portable PS2 and wound up destroying two consoles. Worst thing is I was sixteen...
>>
Up+B in Pokemon.
>>
>>2771649

But that increases your chances of capturing! That kid in Mrs. Johnson's class told me that and he knows everything!
>>
>>2770208
Did you ever actually go back and get the key and eggs years later? A code in the sand castle allows for it. A bittersweet feeling, but I do seem like more of a complete person now.
>>
>>2770139
Don't feel bad, I actually jammed two CDs into a disc drive thinking it would combine them. The computer and disc drive still worked into the XP days if you can believe that.
>>
>>2768729
For the longest time, I thought I was good at video games and people were legitimately my friends who wanted to hang out with me.

Turns out I've always been terrible and they only stuck around because I had enough controllers for everyone to play and more games than them. Guess that's what I get for being a terrible person.
>>
>>2771068
Rinoa never starts liking Squall until after he supposedly "dies" on the parade float (or rather on the pavement beside it)

Presuming that he does in fact die, everything with Rinoa can be perceived as her simply manipulating him to get Seifer's attention, while Seifer is keen on becoming number one knight to the ultra cougar sorceress who can hurl actual deadly blades of ice instead of the metaphorical magical ones that everyone else throws around like fireworks.

The only one who wanted Squall was best waifu Quistis
>>
>when you defeat the girl characters in fighting games you got to have your way with them
This was only in my horny teenage mind and my japanese doujins, right?
>>
>>2774593
Not if you're playing Rance
>>
>>2774579
>Rinoa never starts liking Squall until after he supposedly "dies"

maybe if you ignore the entire ball part where she initially shows interest with him

also to whoever was
>implying seifer was alpha

he is literally a "white knight" in the game, wanting to protect a sorceress who doesn't care about him at all. sounds awfully beta to me
>>
>>2774623
>maybe if you ignore the entire ball part where she initially shows interest with him

She's rebounding off Seifer who already popped her cherry, Squall is just a tool to her compared to Seifer who she can't have anymore
>>
When I was a kid, I basically believed that AI enemies were other players and we were connected by radio.

Not necessarily for single player games, but if you have something like Mario Kart or like in Super Smash Bros., when you'd create a match.
>>
>>2774652
I had the same idea. I didn't ACTUALLY believe it, but I wanted to believe, like in a "wouldn't be neat if..." kind of sense.
>>
>>2774652
When I was really small and had no idea how video games worked my dad tried to explain it to me but being so young I clearly misunderstood and thought the game cartridges knew as soon as I turned them on exactly every move I would make, and that's how enemies could outsmart me.
>>
>>2774608
Aren't those strategy games though?

Also, for all the hot rape, is there any romance in those?
>>
>>2774736
Mostly RPGs.

Plenty of romance.
>>
>>2768729
Because of this game I still do timed button presses hahaha, I realize it makes absolutely no difference but it just kinda feels good! Glad I'm not the only one who does this.
>>
>>2768816
Doom in no clip mode showed me that this was not the case, the hard way. In fact the fucked up graphics straight up scared me as a kid. When I went too far and the graphics started getting all fucked up I was afraid I'd get lost in the messed up graphics forever and frantically looked for a way back to the level.
>>
> Sonic and Knuckles cartridge.
>MUST. TRY. EVERY. COMBINATION.
I thought there may have been hidden combinations from non-Sonic games, but all I ever got was the Special Stages game. I spent hours trying to see how far I could get, though.
>>
>>2768859
this.
>>
>>2776391
Similarly to this, I was certain that there must be some sort of ending to work towards in the Blue Sphere S&K+Sonic1 game. At least a Congratulations! message. I had a few notebook pages filled with passwords. Gave up somewhere between level 1000 and 2000. Only had about 134,216,228 more to go... before it apparently just restarts from 1. The screens that reveal the difficulty level were neat, though.

My brother would often max out characters in RPGs just to see if something would happen; I don't think this was based on any misconceptions but he was crazy to spend so much time grinding for little to no reward. The two I remember were Shining the Holy Ark (game would stop awarding experience, instead just displaying the message, "you are strong!") and Phantasy Star IV (game would glitch out and mess up your characters' stats if you levelled up too high).
>>
>>2768816
This. I want to put this into my video game if I ever get around finishing it. I already wrote the physics engine, but the rest is so boring...
>>
>>2776896
Maybe let a few 3rd party un/barely-credited people design a couple out of bounds places.
>>
>>2776369
Did you not know about the automap?
>>
>>2769627
This screwed me up so much the first time I played mario bros after years of playing super Mario games.
>>
>>2777046
Yeah, I didn't know about it. Being lost in a sea of screwed up graphics was scary to a kid like me. Heck, at the time the thought of restarting the level didn't even cross my mind.
>>
>>2771606
No, the real worst thing is that this technically is possible to do. Or at least, a game gear worked as an NES screen, so you could probably rig a PS2 the same way.
>>
>>2776369
I do the same thing.
>>
>>2771016
Trying to recruit Donkey Kong obviously.
>>
>>2768816
Oddly enough, SMRPG required you to do this to do a sidequest or two.
>>
>>2769136
What the fuck.
I mean, that's pretty funny, but it's so oddly specific.
>>
>>2770150
You can actually unlock the access to the eggs and key by entering codes in the sand castle. You can then pick them up and they'll be added to a Stop n Swop screen in your inventory.

In other words, you can do it legit with the castle codes that Rare simply didn't reveal. I was amazed when I actually did it.
>>
>>2768816
fuck, I thought there were whole towns and fields outside the posts in pokemon, I was really disappointed when I eventually got a gameshark and found out that walking in the grass outside pallet town just crashed the game.
Doubly so because I was told mew was there
>>
>>2768859
Now this will blow your mind off:

Pressing buttons does actually reshuffle the RNG so you are affecting the catch rate, it's only useful in TAS though because you can predict the results
>>
>>2778217
Mew is there, you just have to step through the specific tiles that don't crash the game.
>>
>>2771491
im pretty sure theres an item in one of the trashcans in the abandoned ship in rse, in the part you have to dive to. thats the only one though, and the pots/vases in the same game are always empty despite the "Looks expensive. Peered inside... But, it was empty" message ever single time...
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.