[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best deals you ever got? Mine is pic related for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 13
File: IMG_3169 (Custom).jpg (2 MB, 4147x2765) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3169 (Custom).jpg
2 MB, 4147x2765
What are the best deals you ever got? Mine is pic related for ~26$. I also got cables and 2 joypads for SNES, i just didn't included them in the photo
>>
Your mom for about tree fiddy.
>>
I got a Sega Genesis model 1, like 40 games (mostly sports but a couple good ones like sonic 1 and two and stuff), three controllers, an arcade stick style controller, an N64 full racing wheel and pedal setup, two ps1 racing wheels, for like 80bucks.
>>
>>2768341
pc engine duo rx basically new, refurbished, cap replaced laser greased, 4 games and two six button controllers
200usd
>>
Copy of Suikoden 2 for 12 dollars at a pawn shop.
>>
I got MUSHA w/ box, Sonic 2, and a model 1 Genesis for $40 at a garage sale.

Have you ever been so excited you started shaking like you had fucking brain problems?

After overpaying for retro games for almost my entire life, I guess the universe just kicked something my way.
>>
>>2768348
Fucking loch ness monster!
>>
>>2768407
Fuck yeah, got mine for $15 at a flea market. Just some guy selling cast iron tools had it in a bin. And then I'll find nothing every Saturday for a year.
>>
>>2768415
I know this rare and magical feel. Something something retail consumerism endorphin release. Love it.
>>
File: IMAG0096_1.jpg (2 MB, 2322x1518) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0096_1.jpg
2 MB, 2322x1518
>at mom and pop thrift store
>over by the CDs and movies is a plastic storage tub
>It's filled with snes games
>ask owner how much he wants for them
>he says "two dollars each, dollar apiece if you buy more than ten"
>walk away with pic related

This was maybe two or three years ago, the place has since closed, sadly
>>
Vectrex $6
Laseractive 3D goggles $6
NES Miracle Piano complete boxed $5
Top loading NES $8 (all packing materials $10 later at another sale)
Earthbound $20 new
>>
OP here with a question. I'll probably sell most of those games. If I were to choose 2 to leave for myself, which ones should I choose?
>>
>>2768843
you should keep tommy and the PALVERSION thing.
>>
Depends on how one would interpret "deal." I do have a couple of games I bought for a buck or two that was worth hundreds.

On the other hand I got my Lynx with nearly all the accessories plus maybe 2 dozen games for super cheap. (I want to say $100, but even I'm not sure if it was that low, plus this was in the 90s.) Then got a similarly sized Jaguar set for just as cheap ... from the same guy.

The Jaguar and Lynx strike me as more memorable than my 99cent Music Machine cartridge . Maybe because I actually spent time playing the former.
>>
Probably an NES Action Set with 20 games for free from a relative.
>>
My best deal at a flea market was a tub full of vidya shit for $40. It had a Saturn, Genesis, Sega CD, PS2 slim, and a ton of Genesis games among other random stuff. My best thrift store find was at a Goodwill where I got Twisted Metal 2 & 3, Soul Blade, Bushido Blade 2, Front Mission 3, Parasite Eve, Legend of Legaia, and Brave Fencer Musashi all complete and in good condition for 50 cents each. That's over $100 worth of games for less then $5.
>>
>>2768415
>Have you ever been so excited you started shaking like you had fucking brain problems?

Yes, but I was soon introduced with the complete opposite when the deal I knew was too good to be true turned out to be good to be true.
>>
When I was a kid we had a burned disc with Starcraft on it, I loved it.

I heard about Broodwar from my brother and from friends who had it, got to see it a friends house as his dad was playing it.
It was so cool, I had to have it.
I saved up money, like 250sek (just about 25usd at the time I think), and I went out looking in stores downtown, along with my mom.

In one store, I saw a case on a shelf, it was Starcraft, I looked at it a little, but put it back. We looked around the store a bit more, but was about to leave, I looked at the case one more time, I looked at the backside this time, hey, wait a minute, is that a snow level in that screenshot? Aren't those in Broodwar? I begin reading, and holy shit, this case comes with Starcraft AND the Broodwar expansion, and just for like 25 bucks! Oh man! I tell my mom, I found it, I found it, it was right before my eyes the entire time I was there!

I buy it, with my own money, I look at them putting the discs in the case, there's cool blue wireframe art on the Starcraft disc, and a green one on the Broodwar disc, so much cooler than the matte gold burned disc with "Starcraft" written on it with a sharpie.
Oh wow, that's so cool, two discs on one spindle, I hadn't ever seen that done before!

Mom drives me home, I'm so excited, I keep looking over the case.
Once I get home, I tear off my winter jacket, take off my shoes, etc, I go sit down at the computer, I turn it on.

I uninstall the cracked copy, and then I insert the blue Starcraft disc, install it, I type in the CD-key (something which I think I hadn't ever done before actually), I exit the installer, eject the Starcraft disc, and insert the green Broodwar disc, the autorun prompt has a brand new music cue, and the image shows Terran marines in a desert environment, I've got goosebumps, it's so exciting! I install it, type in the other CD-key, I hold my breath, and start up Starcraft Broodwar.
>>
>>2769352
I watch the cool new intro with Terran Marines fighting zergs, it's trench warfare with barbed wire, mud and filthy water, light slings, machineguns blazing, firebats burning zerglings, a marine is firing away with his assaultrifle at zerglings, you see the digital ammo counter on his gun tick down to zero as he's shooting, oh crap! He's smoked! But then a rocket sails over his shoulder, it blows one zergling to smithereens with a mighty bang, and then one more blows up the other one.
There's a very impressively rendered scene of some of the new characters talking, Admiral Charles DuGalle, and Vice Admiral Alexei Stukov, they're overlooking the battlefield from their Battle Cruiser, conversing, dramatically, Stukov drops his cigar on the floor, they keep talking, there's a closeup of the glowing cigar on the carpeted floor, Stukov stomps it casually, glowing little embers flicker out from under his boot, he takes out a new cigar and lights it slowly with his zippo (which looks impressively shiny), they finish their conversation, he flicks it closed, as an impressive orchestra pipes up, with an opera choir, there's a shot of the trenches, with the marine from before gazing up at the departing Battlecruiser (which he was told was his air support), the camera zooms out, and you see hordes of zergs rushing to the trench and then it cuts to black. (all of it very impressive with stereo speakers and base booming)

The game was everything I wanted and more, it was the Starcraft I loved, but with all these new things, all these new levels, the new music, the new story.

And all of it for just 25 dollars!

More recently, you can get a good port on modern systems of Duke Nukem 3D with all expansions, for just 10usd, I had fun with that for weeks, the base game alone is worth it, but Duke Carribean is there too and I found it's one of my favorite expansions for a videogame ever, it completely makes up for Nuclear Winter being garbage.
>>
>>2768356
Not that great. And Sonic games are super cheap
>>
>>2768341
>Tommy
>deaf, dumb and blind kids now play Pokemon
>>
File: mjf.jpg (246 KB, 600x575) Image search: [Google]
mjf.jpg
246 KB, 600x575
>>2768415
I have
>>
>>2768781

showoff. =P
>>
File: IMG_1700.jpg (3 MB, 4000x2220) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1700.jpg
3 MB, 4000x2220
These threads are usually variations of people:
>trolling with fake deals
>proud of mediocre deals
>legit great deals that people think are trolling

Was at a garage sale where this was labeled as $1 "per CD" (2-cd games were $2). Came out to $120-something, and bargained down to $100 for the entire box. Gave a pile of games to my friend that game garage saling with me, and this is what I was left with.
Am I trolling? You decide!
>>
>>2768341
Tommi had a fake emerald cart. I call bullshit, where are you in Europe exactly that uses $ or are you converting? That's likely why it's so cheap, this guy probably lives in like Czechoslovakia
>>
>>2769523
You're trolling like a motherfucker. No way anyone paid a buck a game for that shit.
>>
Sell it in Germany. No used original SNES in good comdition under 50 €
>>
File: Team_Buddies_Cover_Art.jpg (98 KB, 272x250) Image search: [Google]
Team_Buddies_Cover_Art.jpg
98 KB, 272x250
5€ at local flea market.
>>
>>2769681
you lucky motherfucker.
>>
>>2769686
Indeed. At the time i didn't even know it was a rare or valuable.
>>
Bunch of ps1 games for $10

A gamegear with sonic for a kangazkhan or something back in 99. Have never beaten the dam game, get lost in one of the egg levels.
>>
>>2768341
>Be me.
>Responsible kid born in 83.
>Had older siblings.
>They never much cared about gaming.
>I've got every major system from Commodore 64 to PS2.
>I never asked for this responsibility.
>I merely inherited it.
>No one else cared.
>>
>>2769515
Just the advantages of being a true OG.
Believe that I've paid my dues in hours spent
But it's a true hobby for me that I enjoy the simple pursuit of
Even when I don't find anything (usually) I like just seeing peoples junk
>>
Earthbound with box for $2.99 from blockbuster video. NES with like over 30 games for $20 from an old couple at a tag sale. Man, the 90s were glorious - parents and new adults unloading the stigmatized video game as if it were a cursed ouija board or some shit.
>>
>>2768724
Damn. Do you live in Kansas or something? What kind of shop owner doesn't look this shit up in this day?
>>
>>2770063
I'm quite familiar with Blockbuster's hubris and I'd have a hard time believing you got a box with ANY used game considering they trashed every box except one or two to put on top of the stack, let alone an oversized box that wouldn't have for on their shelves
>>
Is a SNES with 6 games (SMW, All Stars, SM Kart, DKC, Lion King and True Lies) and adapter (no AV cable) for $7 a steal? That was last week's surprise pickup.
>>
File: AD&D Pool of Radiance.jpg (77 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
AD&D Pool of Radiance.jpg
77 KB, 400x550
>>2768341
I got Pool of Radiance for $3, it's about a $25 game.
>>
To be honest, is it really worth getting stuff for 4th gen consoles right now? I'm not even a collector, I'd just like to grab an SNES again and check out some of the Genesis library I missed out on. But naturally prices are STILL inflated beyond belief.

In fact, the only systems that seem reasonable right now are Dreamcast and original Xbox.
>>
>>2770971
Emulation, flashcarts, Wii Virtual Console and then ports for the GBA, these are all options to consider if you don't want to pay collector prices.

Earthbound for the SNES can go for like $100-$200 and I'm not saying the game didn't see poor sales in North America and thus isn't less common but you're not gonna fucking pay that kind of money for a videogame.

Thankfully, Nintendo now sells it on their Virtual Console service, for like $5 so that's an infinitely better option.

But you can also consider plain emulation.
>>
Final Fantasy VI (PS) on a flea market for 5€
>>
A broken SNES for $10
A green PIL! green Gameboy for $10
Goodwill
>>
About 10 years ago, I got a SNES, 2 controllers with 14 games.

Some were bad games, like Bubsy and old Hockey games.
But the lot also had Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, Killer Instinct, Zelda ALttP and Final Fantasy III.

Got the bundle for 40 bucks.

To this day, it's the best deal I've ever got.
>>
a dreamcast with a broken controller and loose crazy taxi for about 3 dollars
>>
>>2771452
Fucking nice.
>>
>>2768341
i got a 14" sony pvm in fantastic condition for free because somebody didn't know what it was worth
>>
Picked up Crash Team Racing in box with manual for 7.99, opened it up and it had two copies.

I haven't done this for very long...
>>
>>2770924
No, you're getting ripped off. Why get all that when you can get two Big Macs from McDonalds instead, for the exact same price?
>>
I got a 32x for 6 bucks today.
>>
>>2771919
Did you get the cables?

People shit on the 32X (and with good reason), but it had an arcade perfect port of Afterburner
>>
>>2769523
>that cardboard packaged Sol-Feace
fucking nostalgia
>>
Found a PS1 in a dumpster couple weeks ago. Nothing amazing, but hey.
>>
I got a ROB with all accessories and Gyromite for $1.

The Seller thought it was broken when he had only had tripped the friction lock on the Z-axis motor, which is fairly easy to fix.
>>
I got a shit ton of systems for only 20 bucks in a big box even thou i don't have the right cables for 3 of the consoles i got a atari jr. a snes a gamecube and finally a atari flashback 2.
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 233x103) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 233x103
>>2769352
>>2769383
Dawww
>>
I got a copy of Rocket Coaster for the Pioneer Laseractive for a dollar

I have no idea how I'm going to fucking sell it though, it deserves better than my grubby plebe hands
>>
File: wall2-1920x1200.jpg (428 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
wall2-1920x1200.jpg
428 KB, 1920x1200
>>2772468
I had actually kind of forgotten about it mostly, but as I was thinking of deals, that one occurred to me, and I remembered more and more about it as I wrote.

This must have been in like 98, 99, maybe 00 even? Long time ago. I remember my brother thought it was cool too.

It was probably one of my best value purchases too, I played for years, using those discs, across multiple computers.
I still have it in my shelf actually, and I've been getting the itch for some Starcraft for a while.

Shame Starcraft 2 has literally none of the magic of the originals.
I guess Metzen drank mercury and became insane in the membrane (insane in the brain!)
>>
>>2772519
It's the money, it's like what happened to George Lucas and James Cameron.

Also the coke.
>>
>>2772538
George Lucas was probably always insane (go look up some of the earliest drafts for Star Wars), he was just kept in line by people around him, like Spielberg and others.
Cameron, well, Avatar wasn't flawless but the directing and technical side was top notch still, I'm still waiting for him to go truly loopy.

>streetsign captcha
>one of the signs is literally Elm Street
Cool.
>>
Those GBA games look fake, OP.
>>
>>2768341
I once bought an N64 console at a flea market for a dollar. No cords or controllers, but it was hard to pass up. Guy selling didn't even know what it was.
>>
File: 1438552721825.jpg (36 KB, 500x348) Image search: [Google]
1438552721825.jpg
36 KB, 500x348
>>2769352
>>2769383
I don't even like Starcraft, but holy shit, man, thanks for the feels.

On a related note, I picked up Shadowgate, Snake Rattle & Roll, Gargoyles II, and Bomberman Hero for $20 total this weekend at the flea market. As soon as I'm done beating Gargoyles II I'm down to trade it for a ps1 rpg or something if we manage to get the BST thread going again. I'm not that great at it and had no idea how much it is worth. Don't care much anyway, I just want to trade it for Frontier Saga or Vandal Hearts II or something.
>>
original gameboy for 50 cents
>>
>>2768341
>that fake as fuck emerald version
kek

That aside, I'm still impressed.
>>
>>2768341

A few years back I grabbed an SNES for $20 at a thrift store as a spare. The woman behind the counter told me that she and her husband were moving and wanted to get rid of a their old games. I swing by that evening, and she had everything nicely packed into 3 large boxes.

Boxed copies of Lufia II, DKC 2 & 3, Mario All Stars, Brain Lord, Romance III, Metal Storm, SMB 2 & 3, Dr Mario, & Tetris.

Plus an SNES and NES with 2 controllers each, another 10 or so loose SNES games, and 20+ NES games. Some standouts included Lolo 1 ~ 3, & Kickle Cubicle

Got the whole lot for $200 CAD.
>>
Vectrex and a Virtual Boy for $20 each. Also found a copy of Mega Man 1 at a flea market for $1.
>>
File: IMG_0344[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0344[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
My friend gave me this a week or so ago.
It's been through the washing machine a few times apparently. (last used 4+ years ago)

I've tried to charge it, and the blue LEDs light up for a second. What i'm hoping is a quick clean of the Pcb, and a new battery will sort it out.
>>
>>2768341
SEGA Saturn Model 2 NTSC-U 2 bucks. No hookups or controller, but a good deal nonetheless
>>
>>2769575
I converted. And I bought it in Poland. Also Czechoslovakia doesn't exist since 1993.
And also, yes, late reply is late
>>
File: 00p0p_fijtz3GgW6K_600x450.jpg (36 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00p0p_fijtz3GgW6K_600x450.jpg
36 KB, 600x450
Can someone help me recognize some of the games in this photo?
The guy on Craigslist is selling everything for $175

Only games I can recognize from his shit pic is Super Mario World, Star Wars, and what looks to be The Terminator?
>>
File: 00l0l_eJTefGfaikr_600x450.jpg (31 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00l0l_eJTefGfaikr_600x450.jpg
31 KB, 600x450
>>2778924
He's selling all of this for $175, should I do it?
>>
>>2778924

the few others i can recognize from there are: mario paint, mario all stars and tetris attack
>>
>>2778927

lot of excess/fat in there... are you a reseller? 'cause if all you want in a snes you can spend less and get more specific games.
>>
>>2778924
>super gameboy
>super starwars?
>Animaniacs?
>mario land2(game boy)
>tetris(game boy)
>tetris attack
mario paint
>mario all-stars
>>
File: DSC_0265.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0265.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>2778937
No, just a collector, I was worried about that, where I live in New Mexico sometimes people don't know what they have, I've managed to snag Super Mario Kart for $2 and Shenmue 2 for $5 and other misc games $20 or more games for $5.

I was hoping this was the same situation where a redneck doesn't know what he's selling and sells it for a steal. So you're saying I can definitely do better for the price then?
>>
>>2778943
>>2778934
And thank you both for your help, I really appreciate it.
>>
Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia and Sonic Adventure 2 for 9 quid from a local Charity shop.
>>
>>2768724
Fuuuuuuck, sweet bro
>>
>>2778952
Overheating imminent
>>
>>2778996
I don't think he's running them all at the same time.
>>
>>2769697
It's both?
Shit. So many games I had new as a kid that I absolutely loved, since lost or given away to young relatives and then it turns out I'll never get them again.

Team Buddies, Resident Evil Gaiden, Metal Gear GBC. Damn it.
>>
>>2778924
SMW, Beavis and Butthead, Clue
Mario Paint, NBA Jam TE?, Sim City?
Mario Allstars, MK3, Populous
Animaniacs, Tetris 2, Star wars
William's arcade hits, Wings 2, Super GB
Tetris Attack, Terminator 2 arcade

The two GB games are Tetris and Mario Land. I think the NES game is Rad Racer.

$175 for that lot isn't too terrible if you don't have any of those games. I'd offer him about $125 and see if you can't haggle him down some.
>>
>>2768341
I accidentally bought Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door for $5.00.

I honestly felt pretty bad about it but my account balance felt good.
>>
>>2782568
That reminds me of when I got Dragonforce for $5. It was marked $70, but when the dude rang it up, it only charged $5. I wasn't about to say anything. I kind of wish I had kept the receipt, though.
>>
Today I got Operation C for free. Can't beat free.
>>
>>2774375
How can you tell? Looks legit to me.
>>
>>2768358
yeah sure dude you totally got that
>>
>>2768781
fuck this is so funny, this is literally what all pickup posts without images look like
>>
>>2788450
I could assemble and stack it all up (except Earthbound which I sold for $450) but you would still have no proof that I paid what I'm saying I paid. I have a LOT of stuff, those are just the best deals. I've been collecting for a long time.
>>
>>2788480
ohhhh i thought you were saying you picked all that stuff at once like that was all one deal, my bad mate. Could you still post a picture of those laseractive 3d goggles?
>>
>>2788450
>here's some deals I found
Yeah, right. Sure you did.

>here's a pic of deals I found
Yeah, right. You just stuck other tags on it.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.