[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can Kirby games be considered platformers? Most of the time you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
Can Kirby games be considered platformers? Most of the time you just fly over all obstacles. There's hardly any need to use the jump button.
>>
>>2768158
Of course it's a platformer.
>>
>>2768158
Sure, from now on let's call it a floater.
>>
>>2768164
>a floater
In the name of all things sacred, somebody flush it down.
>>
>>2768158
>There's hardly any need to use the jump button.

But anon, you use the jump button to fly.
>>
>>2768158

Mario World is a platformer too even if you can fly over nearly everything with the cape. Deciding is not whether you have to jump but that there is a goal that has to be reached via platforms.
>>
>>2768185
Not in the OG. You use the up button.
>>
>>2768282

He said Kirby games (plural) you stupid fuck, and you do use the jump button in almost all of them. Fuck off.
>>
>>2768158

Until you get a line of blocks in your way, or an enemy which can send you falling to your death. In the early levels you can generally fly over everything, but in the later levels they put obstacles in your way to disallow this tactic.

I feel that many people on this board play the first level or two of a game and base all of their opinions on that. I see it time and time again. For example, one poster claimed that every DKC level is a jungle level.
>>
>>2768482
They just follow the steps of their fellow modern gaming journalists, who think the first 15 minutes of any given game are the whole game.
>>
Taking the OP seriously, I hope no one would disagree that it's possible to be a 2D sidescroller action game but not a platformer. Kirby platforming is pretty sparse but I would say it's got enough for it to still count. It's not like anyone plays Kirby games for the challenge anyway.
>>
sidefloater
>>
>>2768389
Who touched you as a child? Was it your daddy? Your uncle? Your neighbour? You can tell us, we won't judge you.
>>
>Most of the time you just fly over all obstacles.

Flying is slow as fuck compared to running though.
>>
>>2768158
its a side scroller game.

technically every game where you can jump should be considered a plattaformer, including tomb raider and 3D zelda.
we dont call them that way because it will be retarded.
>>
With that said, Kirby is EASY AS FUCK. It was meant to be played by children.
>>
File: TripWorldEuropezip_zpsec981b19.png (822 KB, 1024x430) Image search: [Google]
TripWorldEuropezip_zpsec981b19.png
822 KB, 1024x430
Trip World has a similar thing going on where you can go into flight mode. But, while being in flight mode you can't attack.

But, that's not the only reason to switch back from flight mode. The game gives points for every time you jump over obstacles.
>>
>>2768587
>technically every game where you can jump should be considered a platformer
Why? They're not called Jumpers. You can have jumping in a game with no environmental obstacles at all, like a beat-em-up or a fighting game.

Maybe if you said "every game with platforms..." I could see what you're trying to say but there was no logical connection there.
>>
>>2768594
There's a hard mode you can access with a code you get after beating the game the first time.
>>
>>2768626
>jumping
>fighting game
Are you one of those fucks who uses cheap characters just does silly jumps and spams ranged moves?
>>
>>2768626
>jumping in a game with no environmental obstacles at all
name one
>>
>>2768275
The cape is a power up, though. Not Mario's default state.
>>
File: Vegeta is an adult.jpg (16 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
Vegeta is an adult.jpg
16 KB, 259x195
>>2768158
>never played Kirby games as a kid
>assume standard platforming in kiddie flavors
>mfw I played though kirby's adventure recently
Way more fun than I'd ever expected. I like Kirby now.
>>
>>2768158
Kirby is a platformer for rageaholics who throw shit when mario is 2 pixels off and falls to his death.
>>
>>2768587
They're called 3d platformers.
>>
>>2769903
Kirby's adventure is fucking great, with 64 expanding on it. Shame nightmare in dreamland wasn't as good

I will forever have the butter building theme stuck in my head
>>
>>2769814
Street Fighter 2
>>
>>2770937
Kirby's Adventure NES or Wii ? Never mind, they are both good.
>>
>>2769748
Even if I was, what does that have to do with whether jumping exists in fighting games or not? You guys will argue about even the most non-controversial stuff, sheesh.
>>
File: 48d.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
48d.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>2768587
>technically every game where you can jump should be considered a plattaformer
>we dont call them that way because it will be retarded
>technically right
>but retarded (aka incorrect)
>>
File: 1434310539036.jpg (186 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1434310539036.jpg
186 KB, 500x376
>>2771246
what
>>
>>2770946
10/10
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.