[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so what are the best classes? physical / magic? stuff like that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 20
File: fftactics.jpg (993 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
fftactics.jpg
993 KB, 1600x1200
so what are the best classes? physical / magic? stuff like that

i havent completely explored all of the classes but im liking summoner and ninja for max in either brave/faith

any other opinions i want to know alot of the best things / combinations of abilities
>>
calculator op
>>
>>2767936

ninja is good if you get equip swords and mantles

>>2767943

ive never used calculator but ive heard its good!
>>
File: fftarena_title_v1_mitchi[1].png (121 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
fftarena_title_v1_mitchi[1].png
121 KB, 320x240
Anyone got any good FFT mods? I already played Journey of the 5 and pic related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy_5XhvxM_Q
>>
Ninja is the best physical class due to insane speed, innate dual wield (allowing for Attack Up, or other support abilities). Clothing is generally much better then Armor due to stat bonuses (thief hats especially) and Ninja Knives are decent weapons.

Best caster is probably Black mage due to highest MA. Summoner can be good as well. But generally I favor Black mage, especially when paired with Samurai's Draw Out ability which is totally reliant on MA for some reason.
>>
>>2767976
FFT 1.3 Insane Difficulty. Content patch also if you don't want the crazy long fights and headaches. Probably the best mod you'll find.
>>
>>2767936
Anything with gun. Also calculator.

>>2767976
When The Lion War gets finished, that.

Also Celdia's complete, Journey of the Five, and FFT Advance Grim Grimoire which is waiting for it's final.
>>
File: 1435668490516.jpg (66 KB, 638x647) Image search: [Google]
1435668490516.jpg
66 KB, 638x647
>>2767982
Idk my B mage just isn't getting good damage output. I'm in chapter 4 and his level 3 spells are only doing 50-60 damage to some enemies, makes me only rely on summons for him.
>>
>>2768369
BM isn't always the best damage output, it's better when paired with other schools of magic.
>>
What's the best physical classes I just used ninja and samurai
>>
>>2769550
Monk with Two Swords, or Ninja with Bare Hands can be ridiculously deadly.

Samurai can be best looked at as a heavily armored magic class based on ability set. Yes, katana and Blade Grasp would make you think differently, and BG is a major draw for physical units, but Draw Out is dependent on MA for damage.

Beyond that, a female Lancer with Chantage and Speed Save can be pretty useful. I've also taken to Knights with Two Hands/Abandon/mantles in recent playthroughs.

You can really make anything effective if you experiment with ability and equipment loadouts.
>>
Late game squire Situational+2 Use weapon with 2 hands, guaranted 999 dmg
2 lancers dragon heart+2 handed, lancers counter counters atacks
Summoner
Agrias

oh well at least thats what i used when i was a kid
>>
>>2769581
Oh and melee guys with monk as a secondary profession.
I usually paired Summoner with alchemy or time magic
Agrias w/e i don't remember
>>
Monk is good, especially as a support unit with punch arts like chakra and stigmas, and with dualwield from the ninjas class he hits hard twice.
>>
>>2769585
Ninja with Martial Arts > Monk with Dual Wield every single time.

Lower physical attacks -but-

>Can Equip a Hat
A twist headband will provide more HP and basically negate Monks more powerful physical attacks, a Thief hat will increase the Ninja's speed even more.

Monk wtih DW is basically if you're broke as fuck and can't afford Ninja Knives and Hats. Theres literally no reason to use a Monk main class in FFT once Ninja is unlocked.
>>
What's the best tanky physical build? Knight and lancer are strong but skill break and jump both suuuuck

How is geomancer? I'm a fan of geomancer and they can equip some good armor
>>
>>2771516
Generally, the classes that wear armor (Lancer, Knight) aren't as good as the ones that can wear clothes for anything. With Geomancer, you can equip hats and clothes, which may not give you better HP increases, but will buff your other stats (Power Sleeve for PATK, Holy Miter for MATK, Green Beret for SPD). For their reaction ability, I recommend HP Restore or Hamedo. Support can be Defense Up, M. Defense Up, or something else entirely depending on your needs. All armor-wearers seem to get is Reflect Mail
>>
>>2771516
Samurai's pretty tanky, and like Geomancer has some nice magic abilities. However, you can't use most of them until you can buy katanas. But like Knights/Lancers, they're stuck with armor and robes
>>
>>2771516
Also, if you're building Ramza as a physical unit, his Squire in Ch. 4 is a far better class choice than a Knight. Basically, all the light and heavy armor options, swords, knight swords, and shields by default, with decent utility commands.

Just a heads up, if you didn't already know that.
>>
>>2771562
Also better Magic, so he can use Draw Out or something else for tanking harder.
>>
File: picture for ants.gif (1 KB, 66x80) Image search: [Google]
picture for ants.gif
1 KB, 66x80
I pretty much only used the actual characters and occasionally some pets. I only kept the extras to send out on missions.

But my favorite secondary skill-sets were usually Monk for males or Calculator for females (and Ramza because as a Squire he's pretty limited at the start of each battle).

Fav team is Beowulf (chemist secondary) and Worker 8. Literally just the two of them for random encounters. Fun times.
>>
Are any of the bar missions missable?
>>
I've never used a calculator. Just takes too much effort. And as far as I know, they're only overpowered in the endgame, and I've never liked FFTs endgame much.

Also, I usually just end up using story characters, since they tend to just be flat out better than generics.

Some folks take them through other classes to make them optimal, but I've never changed any of them from their unique classes.

Although I might keep a mage or two handy for support, and summons are pretty great.

Kind of unfortunate, it has some great systems, but is hindered by horrible balance and the game being rather easy. I know about the 1.3 patch, but it mostly makes the game harder in ways that are annoying and frustrating, rather than actually challenging. I don't feel satisfied after a battle, I just think "thank fuck it's over".

I've read some stuff on game design by the guy behind it, and all I can say is that I hope he never touches a single other game in his life.
>>
I really like using geomancers with high faith. Counterflood + samurai draw out makes them physical tanks with strong magic attacks
>>
>>2772354

the fastest FFT speed runs grind up to calculator at the start of the game, then just rip the entire map apart in 1 or 2 turns. It's completely busted as fuck, and the reason you can beat the game in 4 hours.
>>
>>2772354
The single job challenge at least is pretty fun, though. You can keep replaying the game while trying out other jobs.
>>
>>2772528
Hmm, that's interesting.

I'm gonna look up some of these speed runs. Maybe I'll do the same thing in a future playthrough.
>>
>>2772528
I remember reading on GameFAQS how the fastest runs involved grinding up Ninja and people were trying to get under 20 hours. Those were the days
>>
>>2772354
>I've read some stuff on game design by the guy behind it, and all I can say is that I hope he never touches a single other game in his life.
Examples?
>>
Man, I loved how in FFT they sometimes have a little fluff text when using an ability. Well, at least some classes have. Like that dark knight guy saying different stuff for different attacks. Monks also had that and I'm pretty sure every magical class had it. It was in random intervals but I was always hyped for how over dramatic they made some fo those abilities sound.
>>
>>2772821
Life is short. Bury! Steady Sword!
>>
Can someone explain calculator to me? I never used one as a kid and still don't really get it
>>
>>2772838
Basically it hits all enemies or partners by calculating certain things (Level, Turn Order, etc)

You turn on the ai to let it do all the math it's self and it becomes a death machine
>>
FFT is a bad game that forces you to grind by throwing rocks at your own guys for hours.
>>
>>2772875
>forces
you can beat this game with 0 grinding at all.
>>
>>2772897
This. Grinding is only mandatory in Dragon Quest II. In pretty much any JRPG or SRPG, grinding is optional. Some people like it, some don't. People who classify it as mandatory and a design flaw because of that amuse me.
>>
File: FE5.002.png (61 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
FE5.002.png
61 KB, 256x224
This game is a lot like fire emblem, but it's got some things about it I like better/worse.

At the start I hated that spells had t charge up but now I actually really like it. Makes the game a lot more strategy oriented.

Also enemy archers on top of huge hills are the worst thing in any game
>>
File: 1412382497482.jpg (45 KB, 438x397) Image search: [Google]
1412382497482.jpg
45 KB, 438x397
>>2772897
But is seems some anon is too retarded to understand a simple system and had to grind for hours by throwing rocks at his own guys just to be barely decent.

JRPGs are casual games they said.
>>
File: 1445468280141.png (192 KB, 320x309) Image search: [Google]
1445468280141.png
192 KB, 320x309
>>2775286

If FFT can be beaten so easily, like the two of you implied, it is casual. If I can beat every encounter without progressing in class and equipment, then that's a easy fucking game.
>>
>>2769579
>Blade Grasp
Samurai aren't overall all that great, but Blade Grasp is one of the best skills in the game. It's a flat percentage chance to stop any weapon based attack.

Meaning that if you have 97 brave (via using Ramza or Mediator) any enemy with a weapon only has a 3% chance of hitting you. If you also use the Mediator to lower that character's Faith to 3, then they will be essentially invulnerable to magic. Combining those two things gives you a single unit that's essentially invulnerable to all other human units.

You can then just wade them straight into a swarm of enemies. Also fun is using them as a target for your summons. Since it will only deal maybe 10 damage, you can have your summoner sit back and then bring the summon to the enemies. Pretty amazing.
>>
>>2775302
>If FFT can be beaten so easily, like the two of you implied, it is casual.

You can beat Gradius without options and only 2 speed upgrades, but you have to be good for that.
Same with RPGs, you can beat them with minimal requisites, but you gotta be good for that.
The game's as casual or hard as much as you're good.

Now bend over succubus fuccboi
>>
>>2772875

the game generally discourages you from grinding. outside of the story battles, all random battle enemies scale to your level, but you only have access to certain weapons and armor, which are going to be weaker. There is SOME grinding, but, it does a good job of walking that fine line between requiring it to do good, or not needing it at all. The main thing you'll be grinding is job points for unlocking skills.
>>
>>2775416
Pretty much. Only a certified retard needs to grind for hours to make it through the game.
>>
>>2775416
The thing about grinding in this game is that you don't do it for levels, you do it for jp. It feels more like you grind for getting better skills and training an army rather then just grinding for pure stats (hp/pp) so you win.
>>
The shitty thing about >>2768090 is that the mechanics and content are changed ever so slightly so if you need some fucking help (which you will) it's nowhere to be found. Even seasoned veterans will have a ton of difficulty with this patch. Even the easy version.
>>
File: 1405957066226.gif (117 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1405957066226.gif
117 KB, 500x375
>>2769579
Can someone give me a crash course on poaching chantages? And other good poaches and items/monsters to go for
>>
is geomancer a good class? i like geomancers. counter flood kicks ass.
>>
>>2776301
Giving counter flood to mages is pretty effective
>>
>>2776021
Think they are a common drop on swines. Recruit one in the end of deep dungeon then just breed/poch
>>
>>2776301
Geomancers are good when you give them LOW faith. Elemental and counter flood are MA based
>>
>>2767936
Am I the only one that uses FForgASM to patch an ISO with fixes for the job menu scroll glitch and oil never working right?

One of these days I should really attempt to fix the textual errors in the PSX version and release it with those fixes and updated spell names. Nothing major, just spelling, spacial issues, and the like.
>>
>>2775314
They have great abilities, but Samurai are best used as a secondary thing. I always have my Ramza as Squire with Samurai abilities. Draw Out works a hell of a lot better with him because of higher MA.

Would probably work with a Geomancer too, never tried it.
>>
>>2777682
>names
I'd only do that with White, Black, and Time magic really. I'd name Petrify Break and Zombie Zombify according to conventions, but that would be about it. In the WOTL translation a lot of stuff got named outside normal FF convention and in flowers, Yin Yang got hit the worst. It just reads better in the original names.

Yelling out Fire 2 in quotes is dumb though. Change that shit.
>>
>>2777731
This.

Don't forget the Carbuncle, Slyph, and Lich misspellings though.
>>
File: 24x.png (95 KB, 509x479) Image search: [Google]
24x.png
95 KB, 509x479
>>2775281
>Also enemy archers on top of huge hills are the worst thing in any game

I haven't played FFT yet, but since you've played FE5 that is really saying something.
>>
>>2777687
Right now I'm playing through with a geomancer with

-element
-draw out
-counter flood
-MA up
-move +2

Also rune blade so that's +MA

I haven't maxed stats and stuff besides high brave/low faith but she's pretty fun to use so far
>>
File: FE5.006.png (50 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
FE5.006.png
50 KB, 256x224
>>2777841
We'll I mean I rarely got killed by the archers their just annoying

Also fe4/5 are the best in the series by far. <3
>>
File: choked_points.png (197 KB, 511x478) Image search: [Google]
choked_points.png
197 KB, 511x478
>>2777901
Jugdral is definitely the best continent

My only real experience with SRPGs are FE and the first Disgaea, but I'm thinking of picking up FFT (or possibly Tactics Ogre) soon. How does it compare to FE besides having to charge spells?
>>
>>2777927
>>2777901
are you guys talking about thracia 776?
>>
File: BOTHK.png (95 KB, 1008x503) Image search: [Google]
BOTHK.png
95 KB, 1008x503
>>2777974
yep. thracia 776 is fucking great.

new thread theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9y5GAWyL0Q&index=16&list=PLCA2086FB7F1AFF40

>>2777927
FFT is much different than fe actually. each char moves on their own turn count, not like a player/enemy phase thing that fe has. if youve every played final fantasy 5 the job system is similar, where you get JP from being in a specific class and then use those for skills and can mix and match skills in different classes for different combos of abilities. >>2777896
is one example of a class set

battle wise honestly its pretty similar in concept but different in execution. the one thing that took me awhile to get used to in regard to fe was that once you move a character, THEIR DONE MOVING. no do overs.

the best way i can explain it is that fire emblem had a love child with final fantasy V. story wise its large and complex but really interesting once it all ties together, similar to fe4/5 and game of thrones.

it starts out a bit slow and doesnt explain much to you, but after you get used to it this game is absolutely ENTICING. I can honestly say I like FFT better then any fe game besides the jugdral games, and i havent even finished it yet. I just started playing it about 3 months ago and im already extremely hooked.
>>
>>2777896
Geomancer is a garbage class that people on this board talk up constantly.

Every character has an internal "base" magic attack, physical attack, hp, etc. stat that's affected by the class that you pick.

A Monk, for instance, has 135% HP and 129% PA while only 80% MP and 80% MA.

A Wizard has 75% HP and 60% PA while boasting 120% MP and a HUGE 150% MA.

The Geomancer is the jack of all trades and master of none that ultimately just sucks at everything.

110% HP, 95% MP, 110% PA, 105% MA. Outside MP there's no real loss, but the gains are so miniscule that there's no point in them.

Sure, Magic Attack-Up increases your magical damage output by 33%, but it's wasted on a lightweight like the Geomancer, even using a Holy Milter and Runeblade.

Now, Gemonancy is rare in that PA helps effect its damage output (MA + (PA/2 +1)), but because you half the PA bonus, the straight MA from a Wizard operating with their innate 150% MA buff is automatically better.
>>
>>2768369
Black Mage has the highest MA output but average MA growth.
So you're rocking the right class but probably not the right equipment/ability set up.

Are you wearing a ton of +MA gear?
Are you casting elements without an elemental wand?
Are you casting anything without the Magic Attack Support?

You might get more mileage out of casting level 2 spells every round instead of summons every two rounds.
>>
>>2778481
The game does penalize magic users a bit with the growth system. Only one class has any MA growth and who's honestly leveling up as a Mime from the get-go?
>>
>>2778656
Only thing I can think of is grinding up attack and speed break for your knight, and learning frog and petrifry on your black mage, then do a clumsy version of the berserk frog trick with two generics, letting your fifth man absorb all the run off jp.
Then dismiss the two level 99 mastered characters later so the game isn't a breeze.

I raised a level 1 female generic who mastered all classes in this manner for challenge maps on the psp version. Unfortunately it was counter intuitive since rewards were based on level
>>
>>2771645
This
Square ramza with draw out is really strong. It's almost OP really.
>>
>>2779115
Squire Ramza is OP. Period. Especially once he gets Scream.
>>
>>2779154
Ultima and scream really make him shine and its cool because he starts out same as other requires but his character progresses and changes
>>
Hey, since this is an FFT thread, would anyone be interested in trying out my 1.3 variant?

Not many changes in Chpt 1-3 but in 4 I do things like make Mel a Guest starting from Finath River so you can train her JP before she joins for real.

The changelist is here but I'm currently in the process of creating a newer version (where I make pretty huge Squire changes) so I'm not sure which version to link yet
http://pastebin.com/nGSR5YYg
>>
>>2780105
Seems fun. <3
>>
When will some asshole make a FFT hack that replaces its notoriously flaky PSX localization with War of the Lions' better one?

Bonus features too, pls.
>>
>>2780105
Link to the latest version of my mod - this one is a bit untested compared to my 2nd last version.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xps5pn9o59y87n9/FFT_EZ-8_v100.rar

>>2780475
I think this already exists if you just want PSX FFT with WoTL's translation

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?board=26.0

The complete set of extra content can't really be added though for technical reasons.
>>
>>2780475
There is one with an updated translation and the JP scroll glitch fix named FFT Complete, but it was made when FFTacttext wasn't as good so there's some dialog errors.

The Lion War will have the WOTL cutscenes in the original localization's style of dialog and may or may not have the new classes, I'm hoping someone will pick it up and fix the other text bugs too as there was some talk about that. TLW also had someone planning to make an offshoot using WOTL's localization, but it remains to be seen if that's going to happen.
>>
>>2780487

Never completed.

>>2780493

I really just want a better PSX version, to be honest. :/
>>
>>2780475
Honestly, they're both horrible. Sure WOTL has a new one, but they fucked it up big time with the ye olde engrish everywhere. They also did their own share of stupid shit with the new localization as Square-Enix does most of the time, and in a lot of places the PS1 version is actually the more faithful release even though it confused l and r a lot and shit.
>>
>>2780505

I'll take Ye Olde English over Engrish any day, unless you've got something more concrete to show me.
>>
>>2767936
I started the ps version of this game and got stuck at the battle where thatsuper powerful asshole jumps around oneshotting your party.

I got stuck at the same part in the ps version. Neither version of the game lets me go back because i saved right before the fight. This depresses me as i really enjoy the games but i can never get past that part. Random difficulty spikes are usually something i have no trouble with...but thisfight seems so unfair
>>
>>2780636
Fuckkk in the library? That guy is a dick
>>
What's the best class setup for mages? Specifically healing/support but just mage in general
>>
>>2781354
Assuming you don't care about being in a class to earn JP at all...

Black Mage is basically the best Base Class for carrying magic skillsets.

Oracle is actually pretty OK if you want to use Sticks (or Poles whatever), which gives you a nice "regular attack" option if you ever run out of MP.

Geomancer is a good candidate once Rune Blades start showing up - Rune Blade + Aegis Shield + all the MA equipment items you can find. Tankier than Black Mages so they're a better candidate to put White Magic on if you want to use it (though WM isn't that good in Vanilla)
>>
>>2781475
Geomancer is never a good substitute for a Wizard. He equips largely the same gear (Robes, Hats, Accessories) and the Rune Blade is only as good as the Wizard Rod which is available way earlier.

So, you drop the Wizard's 150% MA and 120% MP down to 105% MA and 95% MP so you can equip a shield.

If you're looking to make a defensive spell caster you should just go with a Wizard and downgrade the +2 MA Wizard Robe to the +1 MA Robe of Lords with permanent Protect and Shell status. If the character is a female too, then dropping the +2 MA Magic Gauntlet for the +1 MA Setiemson with permanent Haste is another alternative.

Personally, I'd just take the strongest MA gear and let the fact that your basic Fire spells mostly one-shot enemies do the talking. An overwhelming offense negates the need of a defense.
>>
>>2781510
The harsh reality of FFT is that most of the classes are garbage. I mean, Geomancer isn't -terrible- but its inconsistent at best because your spells are locked to the tile you're standing on and while some are brokenly overpowered (Carve Model) most of them are just... lackluster at best.

But when like 90% of the enemies being thrown at you are some variation of Knight Archer and Wizard then you know what to expect and adjust accordingly.
>>
>>2781527
The thing is once you get all of the geo spells it doesn't matter as much what tile your on because there's a spell for each one. Granted yeah some are better then others but still it's free and 6 range with a chance of status

Plus counter flood kicks ass
>>
>>2781510
It's a worse trade-off but it really isn't that bad.

That MA drop is huge but kind of countered by the fact that either class is going to get most of their shit through equip bonuses rather than

While the MP drop probably wouldn't matter if you really care about power that much, you're using Draw Out.

And really, suggesting Robe of Lords? Isn't that only available in Deep Dungeon or the end-game stretch? Not to mention both classes can wear it anyway.

>>2781527
Most of the battlefield set-up actually seem to use the more powerful status effects - Hell Ivy is probably the most common one and its Stop. Carve Model is also common with Petrify.

The odds are pretty high on your side if you're using Elemental. If you're Ramza or Reis, it can potentially hit like a dump truck too but sadly most other characters can't really spec for it.
>>
>>2781656
I know but it would be nice if you had control of geomancy.

Like 3 or 4 of the spells are available only on like 2 maps. Which makes them effectively worthless, and when you don't know what you're doing you could easily invest in them.

Its the same with Lancer, and getting like Vertical 8 gives you Vertical 1-8 so getting any of the lower tiers is worthless.
>>
>>2781527
I hate how it's too easy and ditched most of the Ivalice in FFT, but I actually like how FFT Advance made it so not every job is a variation of the same thing. Most of the duplicates are on different races, and that makes it better.
>>
>>2780505
Yeah they're both terrible, but I expect that from Square-Enix in every game post-merger. Everything except DQ seems to have turned to shit, and even then some are on the fence with accents in the translations. Apparently in FFT in particular they wanted it to be more like Vagrant Story.

>>2780512
>something more concrete
The FF Wiki has a list of term translations for FFT. Some are translated more on the mark in WOTL and the -ra -ga -ja is always welcome, some are obviously flowered up and the original was more in the mark. It's a matter of personal preference in that way.

>>2772821
Every spell, Draw Out, and swordskill has this. There's even a hack floating around that enables quotes appearing on every cast.
>>
>>2782035
I like it being more like Vagrant Story and FFXII, considering it's the same world across three different points in time. Yes, I'm leaving out FFTA/A2, considering one's not technically a "real" story, and one takes place not long after XII.

But, it adds to a feeling of continuity and a fuller world to me with speech patterns being archaic.
I just wish that we could've seen a well-made Ivalice game that explained the great cataclysm that got mentioned, and potentially was the reason non-human races vanished.
>>
In terms of the actually characters and not generics, who are the best ones in terms of usability and power

I like agrias as a white mage with holy sword
>>
>>2782371
Mustadio's always useful. Beowulf's always useful.
Rafa and Malak take a lot of work, but can be made into pretty interesting units. Meliadoul joins too late in the story to amount to much, unfortunately. Reis can be incredible, but takes time to get there. Cloud relies on Short Charge and a weak weapon, so he's not too great unless you really put thought into him, or gear a team around using him.
>>
>>2782380
Byblos is completely broken.

Worker 8 is shit. It's just awful.
>>
>>2782371
>>2782380
Orlandu, Agrias, Reis and that's it IMO. If you're playing WoTL you can add Balthier.

Agrias: Mostly her Join Time means you actually have time to build her up and use her for good stretches of the game, but I note she doesn't really become good until at least Elemental Strengthen'd weapons come into play, and only goes into overdrive if you're willing to grab Perfumes.

Mustadio: Pretty damn niche. Seal Evil has a couple of situations where its really nice but you could probably have won the battle normally anyway. It doesn't help that every enemy past a certain point in the game is likely to start carrying Thief Hats.

Rafa/Malak: These guys are considered the laughing stock of FFT for a reason.

Luso: Ramza without the MA advantage.

Orlandu: I actually think he's A BIT overrated, but he's strong considering the time he joins the party.

Meliadoul: Joins after Orlandu and is weaker if Perfumes aren't brought into play. At least her moves does hit monsters in the WoTL version though.

Worker 8: Monsters not called Tiamats suck.

Beowulf: I actually consider him more "convenient" than "strong" - he's a Godsend if you want to do the Deep Dungeon. If you aren't, then you can pass on him without much loss.

Reis: Broken stat growths. Building her up in mage classes so late in the game and without propositions is painful though.

Balthier: Barrage is stupid OP.
>>
Ok I'm playing in chapter 4 and I just got orlandu and now I'm heading to limberry. Right now I have 5 units trained.

Ramza:
Trained mostly as a thief/ninja for steals and throwing, but I gave him some samurai draw outs and I plan to train him mostly in that. I mostly have a little of every class (including bard) but not much mastered yet (besides squire of course)

Agrias:
Trained with all holy swords and 80% of the white magic.

Generics:

1. Male
black mage maxed
Training in summoner, hoping to max that as well

2. Female
White mage maxed
Bit of time and summon

3. Female
Draw out and elemental are pretty close to max, usually stay in geo class because that's fun with blood sword.
Also some theif/ninja

Any advice?
>>
>>2780505
>Sure WOTL has a new one, but they fucked it up big time with the ye olde engrish everywhere.

I don't know what others think but I fucking hate the new translation. It makes the whole game feel detached and impersonal. The original could definitely be confusing at times, but at least the characters had some character.
>>
>>2783049
Ramza can be a very useful Monk, because of his high Brave. Give him @Two Swords so he can punch twice.

Agrias' Sword Skills are PA-based, so make sure to give her equipment to complement it.

Get either your White or Black Mage into Calculator.
>>
>>2783049
The Charge Time based Attack Magic are about to become obsolete in chapter 4 - I probably wouldn't use Black or Summon in late game (well, Summon has Golem abuse left at least). The utility ones might still have some use.

Rest seems fine I guess.
>>
>>2783089
Ninja with Martial Arts works better than Monks with 2 Swords if you want to go that way.
>>
>>2783089
>Change Ramza to Monk! 2 swords is great
>In Chapter 4

Literally what even.

In Chapter 4 you've already passed the difficulty gap, just make your guys the most powerful classes and finish the game.

Make Ramza a Squire and give him a Knight Sword and physical combat gear, or if you're set on giving him Samurai abilities just give him a Runeblade and magic gear.

Just leave Agrias a holy knight because thats all shes good for.

Leave him a blackmage
May as well change the girl to a blackmage
Just leave the other girl a geomancer.
>>
>>2783090
what do you mean obsolete? calculators are too slow for me to have no mages
>>
>>2783118
You're not supposed to actually use the Calculator class as your main job.

What you do is learn... just CT and 5 I think and then change to Black Mage with Math Skill as secondary.
>>
>>2783125
CT AND 3 Because of how the tick system works.

It's still beneficial to learn all the different variations.

>>2783118
Black Mage has the highest MA multiplier, but like all classes besides Mime has only standard MA growth.

So when you want to make someone who focuses on using skills that rely on MA you make their main class into Black Mage unless your build requires some core move set.

Bushido, Geomancy and Calculator are better on Black Mage than their respective class.
>>
>>2783918
Yeah everyone tells me BM has highest output damage wise but my summoner gets sooooo much more damage as one then as a black mage

What am I doing wrong? Same spells, same equips (more or less). Faith was the same at each time. Idk
>>
>>2783918
Nah, CT and 5, and get your speed up to 10. Very few beings are faster than that, and when your turn comes up, everyone's CT will be a multiple of 10.

Equip a chameleon robe and learn Holy for maximum lulz.
>>
>>2784408
Hehe I remember getting that on ramza near ch3, rest of the game was ezpz
>>
Is equip spear on anyone good? I just poached a holy lance and don't like using lancer class so I'm thinking about giving someone equip spear
>>
>>2784971
Male White Mage
Decent Br/Fa
Secondary: Jump
Reaction: Speed Save
Support: Equip Spear
Move: Move-HP Up

With decent equipment, can be a better Dragoon than a real one.
>>
>>2772354
The thing that's frustrating about 1.3 is that there are a lot of fights in it that actually are fair and are really fun to play through.

Then you get absolutely horrible shit like the Colliery fights that are so hilariously stacked against you that they don't even begin to approach being entertaining.
>>
>>2785110
That's because FFT mods always seem to like to make the Colliery into "post-game" content instead of just a regular side-quest for some reason.
>>
>>2785523
Which is complete and utter retardation. It's really easy to trigger the Colliery event on accident and doing it locks you out of a ton of shit.
>>
>>2772354
>>2785110
Have you guys played Kind of PSX (or Kind of PSP for WOTL) yet?

Looks better than 1.3 if you ask me, but it's not quite as extensive. Same guy is doing Grim Grimorie for FFTA
>>
>>2777682
In theory this is so easy you'll feel stupid for not trying it because the dialog editor actually supports both versions and apparently copypasting the text works fine (according to the Italian fan-translators), but I haven't actually tried this yet:
>get FFtactText
>open WOTL
>save it as .ffttext
>open the .ffttext
>patch a PSX iso

The other method would be to basically copypaste the script by hand, which takes more time. While you're at it, you can use FFTorgASM to fix up Oil not doing shit and swordskills to work like they're supposed to (Holy Sword rarely actually works completely right IIRC).
>>
>>2786751
Wouldn't that be kinda hairy because of the other events?
>>
>>2767936
>Cloud requires the stupid Materia Blade and not a Sword/Knight Sword or Katana to use Limits
>2015

They should've at least been realistic with the special sword. I know it sounds autistic but shit doesn't even look like anything Cloud uses. And it's not even the most powerful sword in the game.
>>
>>2784338
It has to be the equips then.

A Wizard has 150% MA whereas a Summoner only has 125%. The Time Mage is actually stronger than the Summoner.

Maybe you were targeting things with different Zodiac compatibilities?

>>2784971
If you're not using Jump then there's probably no good reason to take Equip Spear. Also, don't listen to this guy: >>2785084

You don't want to stick Equip Spear on a White Mage.

Jump's damage formula is PA x Weapon Strength + 50% if Lance.

Priests operate at a loss to your base PA with only 90% of what your character normally has.

If you're desperate for a non-Lancer jumper, there are two good alternatives.

If the character is a generic, go Monk. They have the highest innate PA at 129%, and also 110% Speed.

If you have all the unique characters, Meliadoul actually becomes useful. Her class (for some weird reason) can innately equip Spears. Now, she can't activate her Divine Sword abilities with the spear, but they're pretty shitty anyhow. They don't work on beasts, and you're destroying stuff you could've looted or stolen on humans.

Meliadoul also has a pretty beastly PA at 120% and Speed at 105% making her actually a slightly better Lancer than a Lancer. But what really helps her is not needing to take Equip Spear, meaning she can take Attack-Up and increase the strength of her Jumps by 33%, effectively one-shotting most enemies in the game.
>>
>>2788225
Attack-Up doesn't affect Jump. It SHOULD, but it doesn't.
>>
>>2788225
>>2788231
Is there any way to time in game how long it takes to jump? Like the spell charges you can hit right or left to view the time list but not with jump
>>
>>2788352
Not in the way you're thinking about. But the calculation for Jump works out as: (50 /Speed) ticks.

So, assuming the guy you're targeting has the same or slower speed than you and is sub-50 CT, you'll hit. If you want a more precise equation, you need to understand how CT works.

At 100CT you get your turn. Every tick you get your Speed in CT. So, let's say you have a Speed 10 and Jump a target who's CT is at 56, but his Speed is only an 8.

So, your formula would be (50/10) = 5 ticks to jump. He gets 8CT a tick and in 5 ticks would be at 96CT. You'd still land the hit despite him being over 50CT when you jump.
>>
>>2788442
Ok I think I get that

Idk seems like too much work for not much reward. I do like how lancer gets an extra square of range with spears though
>>
File: male-lancer-job-class2.gif (791 B, 44x70) Image search: [Google]
male-lancer-job-class2.gif
791 B, 44x70
>>2788581
It works through Evasion, so late-game when enemies are wearing Crystal Shields and Feather Mantles, it still has a 100% hit rate. You're also immune to attacks while you're up in the air, so it's a great escape if you've been targeted with something that hasn't gone off yet. And again, it's 50% stronger than a regular attack and can be used half a map away.
>>
>>2767976
Laggy Fantasy Tactics is the best mod out there at the moment easily. Everything else is kind of trash in one way or another aside from it, but, what do I know I'm a bit of a purist.

Source: I've played too many mod of this game.
>>
>>2788649
the increase in damage is only for a character wielding a spear btw, other weapons do normal damage

there are two basic ways to go with Jumping units

first is a Lancer with Attack Up. It's about the only way to make jump do more damage, and Lancers have quite high PA to begin with making it a pretty reliable OHKO

second is a ninja with equip spear. it's all about having more Sp, haste won't make you jump faster. Ninjas are also pretty strong so that's good too. Combine Jump with Throw and you never need to be in harm's way.
>>
>>2788225
You're supposed to compensate for the Priest lower PA with Twist Headband/Power Sleeve. Monks inability to wear headgear is honestly pretty crippling once stat-boosting gear show up.

That being said, Jumping Priest is a really gimmicky build.

>>2788581
>Idk seems like too much work for not much reward.
As a general rule of thumb, if you look at your target and his current CT is less than 50, your jump is very likely to land.

The only issue is Zodiac Demons (??? stats) or very speedy classes like Ninjas or enemies under the effect of Haste.

>>2788658
Yeah, I second LFT, it's really good.

1.3 has interesting added content but sadly kind of requires masochist tendencies.
>>
>>2788664
Attack-Up doesn't affect Jump. No abilities in the game do. Not Attack-Up, not Short Charge, not Two Hands.

>>2788860
Even still, you're using a Priest as a Jumper and with all that gear you're probably only barely breaking even (and probably not even that) on damage. Combining class abilities should be about complimenting the two class's strengths.

Like Draw Out on a Wizard or Abandon on a Knight.
>>
What exactly does brave/Faith do? I know brave is reaction ability % and faith is magic damage but does it help stuff like draw out or geomancy
>>
>>2789752
Nah, Draw Out is MA*Wep. Geomancy is MA*(PA/2 +1).

There are some abilities that factor in those scores. Like Treasure Hunting has a better chance to yield rare treasures on a character with a lower Bravery. Some weapons have increased damage with higher Bravery like Knight Swords, Katanas, Unarmed Strikes, Monster Attacks, etc.

Faith also helps out with the percentages for things like Status ailments and the like.
>>
Guy making a FFT 1.3 edit here - out of a scale of 10 to "What the hell were you smoking?", how OP are these new Katana stats?

(All Katanas are Forced 2H and the offensive ones now cast their Draw Out spell on Proc)

Asura Knife - 15 WP. Fire Element. Strengthen: Fire.
Kotetsu Knife - 14 WP, Dark Element. Half: Dark, Immune: Confusion/Charm.
Bizen Boat - 20 WP, Immune: Don't Move/Don't Act
Murasame - 17 WP, W.EV 35% -> 60%. Add: Death Sentence. Immune: Sleep/Death Sentence.
Heaven's Cloud - 16 WP. Move + 1, Half: Wind. Always: Float.
Kiyomori - 24 WP. Cancel: Stop/Petrify. Add: Confuse
Muramasa - 30 WP. Always: Regen
Kikuichimoji - 28 WP. Cancel: Charm/Sleep/Don't Move/Don't Act
>>
How can I raise my samurais MA permanently? Like I know I can give her an accessory but what can I do to make the basic stat higher
>>
>>2790191
make muramasa a rare item and have it auto-cast "Blood Suck"
>>
>>2790441
level up as a mime.

you will have terrible MP but that's okay for a samurai.

Mime is super strong, but has the worst MP growth, as bad as monsters. They also have only average speed, but they have the best HP, MA, and PA.

so level some as a ninja and some as a mime for a really strong samurai.

also every generic job class other than mime has the exact same MA growth. only mime and special characters get growth that's better than the average.
>>
>>2790458
That kind of screws up having access to Muramasa's Draw Out ability, doesn't it?

And do you mean a Blood Suck proc or Start: Blood Suck because the latter doesn't seem very useful

>>2790465
Stat growths in FFT really don't matter that much unless you're going to play a lvl 99 game though.

The Samurai class is just a pretty bad chassis for using its skillset.
>>
>>2790484
I find I always play FFT the same way these days. Breeze through the prologue until I get Rad, Lavian, Alicia and Boco, then master every single job class on all of them, level them all the way up and down a couple of dozen times, and then breeze through the game.

I mean, it's completely unnecessary for the game's low difficulty, but God do I love grinding in this game.
>>
>>2773631
Can you avoid grinding in Phantasy Star I? At the beginning of the game, it seems like you're so weak that you'll simply die from any enemy encounter you can't run away from if you try to go more than a few tiles away from the start, unless you grind against the weakest enemies just outside of town for a good 10-20 minutes.

Phantasy Star II to a lesser extent. You can waltz straight over to the first dungeon if you get lucky and don't run into any encounters, but then you'll die horribly if you get into a battle and fail to run away. You get Rudolph really quickly, but without getting money from grinding before entering the dungeon he'll be just about worthless aside from soaking some hits.
>>
>>2791298
Never liked using rad lavian or alicia, I liked using other generics better cause I can name them
>>
>>2791424
Yeah, your chapter 1 generics are going to be much more developed than them.

I like when they show up in other mods with a lot more jobs unlocked though.
>>
>>2791435
That's why you breeze through Chapter 1. Even in the PSX version, Rad, Lavian and Alicia are all stand-out from the generics since they have unique dialogue attached to them. Also, the game gives you exactly enough slots to have every unique character and those three. No more, no less.
>>
>>2793130
Usually what I do is get 3 generics that I put through their own paths, then for the rest of the human characters musty, agrias,rafa, malak, cid, meli, beowulf, reis I buy generics and name them after them, train them with skills I want to uniques to know, then when I get them I let them absorb the generics crystal and get all their abilities
>>
File: 1442871248097.jpg (131 KB, 541x288) Image search: [Google]
1442871248097.jpg
131 KB, 541x288
>>2793130
Yeah but rad is a lame name.

I like alicia and lavian, but rad is lame.
>>
>>2793873
>not using the most radical knight
>>
File: 468484896487854.png (48 KB, 280x240) Image search: [Google]
468484896487854.png
48 KB, 280x240
>>2793872
I used to do that too, but it started bothering me when I noticed the game kept track of all the people you had that died. Besides, once you've gotten a grasp on JP spillover, it's really quick.

>want Orlandu to learn Ninja skills
>have Ramza, Rad, Lavian, Alicia stand in a circle around him as Ninjas spamming Accumulate

>>2793873
Rad had a bad dad. We don't get to pick our names.
>>
>>2794721
In the interest of time this >>2793872 is the best way to get your special characters up to scratch.
>>
>>2794735
It's really not. You're still grinding out another dozen generics with time you could've saved spent on the actual characters. And since you need to go grind on each of the actual characters to unlock every single job class so that the abilities aren't wasted, you end up losing even more net time.
>>
I jus get generics named the uniqe characters then replace them when the npcs come so I can get them in perfect order

The one flaw of fft is that you can't organize your order.
>>
>>2788231
It does, I don't know what you're talking about.

Attack Up works, Two Hands doesn't.
>>
>>2795420
No it doesn't. Not in the original, not in the remake. I've tested on both extensively and it doesn't affect the damage. If you check online, this is a very well known issue.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197339-final-fantasy-tactics/43310260
>Also, Attack UP strengthens every physical ability except Jump.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937312-final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions/68734142
>Confirmed: Jump is not affected by Attack Boost or Vehemence
>>
>>2795998
This. Literally no support abilities buff Jump in the game. Not Attack Up, Two Hands, Martial Arts or anything else. Just using a lance gives it the 50% buff to PA.
>>
make ramza his uber squire class and give him white magic, put robes and shit on him and holy everything that moves
>>
>>2796053
Why keep him as his base Squire class when you make him a caster? Every other caster class (except Geomancer) has a higher Magic Attack stat than him.

I mean, here's what a Priest would've had:
120% MP, 110% Speed, 110% MA

While Ramza's unique squire class has:
105% MP, 107% Speed, 102% MA

So, you lose 15% MP, 3% Speed and 8% Magic Attack. Granted, his physical stats are higher, but if you're putting caster robes and such on him to have him Holy everything that moves, his base class is a pretty shitty choice for it.
>>
>>2796082
>Why keep him as his base Squire class when you make him a caster?
Wielding Excalibur?

Yeah, that's all I got.
>>
>>2796736
Hmm. That's actually not bad. A Priest would need to use 108 Gems for the Holy buff and that wouldn't have the automatic Haste. Then again, he can't equip Robes so he misses out on those beastly Wizard Robes and there aren't any Clothes or Armor that grant MA bonuses. But I guess the Magic Gauntlet cancels that loss out since you don't need 108 Gems. You also get to use a shield and the Aegis Shield would bump you even higher.

Alright, I'm sold. Squire Ramza works better.
>>
>>2781616
I always thought the low damage and low chance of status on geomancy was not worth the extra waiting time between turns. Considering that all Geos are raised as Knights and Monks, I just want to charge up and smack away soon as possible. Mostly Geomancy itself was relegated to cases of nearly dead enemies that I would rather not use another character's turn to finish.

Therefore, going for statuses is always an inefficient gamble for me, especially when I use Geomancy mostly to finish enemies off. The exception is when you start to meet really high-HP enemies and the chance for Carve Model's petrify proc (or maybe poison or silence) is worth the risk instead of committing to 3-5 attacks with your team.
>>
>>2797064
True. But geomancy really shines when you buff the shit out if your MA in chapter 4 then do 130+ per hit with geomancy. Then factor in that it's instant, no mp (freeing up a slot for mo shield ability), 2 range, and has a chance to status effect
>>
>>2796789
Ubersquire Ramza can actually equip Robes, so the comparison is shifted even more in favor of that class
>>
>>2797078
By that time you had a Monk and his Punch Art abilities are just plain better.

>Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Chakra, Revive

And his attacks are so far beyond that a Geomancer can put out, it makes it feel like your Geomancer is a Squire throwing rocks again.
>>
>>2797116
I think a Wizard probably beats out Squire Ramza though.

Gearwise they'd be pretty similar:

Squire: Excalibur and Aegis Shield (Holy Buff, +1 MA) / Wizard: Wizard Rod (+2 MA)
Both: Flash Hat (+1 MA, +1 Speed)
Both: Wizard Robe (+2 MA)
Squire: Magic Gauntlet (+2 MA) / Wizard: 108 Gems (Holy Buff)

The end result is Ramza comes out with +1 MA higher and Haste, but the Wizard has an innate 15% more MP and 48% higher MA. Since Haste doesn't affect Charge timers for spells, it's not adding a lot to the Holy build.

Still, it's a solid ubersquire build.
>>
>>2797405
No shit, because you've trained your guy as a pure physical class.

If you unlocked Geomancer via spillover JP and he trained as a Wizard the entire time it would've been a different story.
>>
>>2797409
Then the Wizard is automatically better than the Geomancer.

The Geomancer is a shit class that does melee worse than meleers and does casting worse than casters. The only class it manages to outstrip is Squire, and with things like Gained JP Up, Accumulate and Move +1, even that is debatable.
>>
Why are maces and axes so shit?
>>
>>2797408
Haste doesn't help you resolve spells faster, but it does help you get more actions off though which means more spells cast overall throughout the battle if you can protect yourself from being interrupted.

>>2797540
Matsuno balance

>>2797409
You're probably overrating the impact of growths - in a standard game, at most it means 1, MAYBE 2 points of PA higher for physical class... at certain levels

(only Mime and very rare unique classes like Ubersquire even get MA growth so that's a moot point)
>>
Growths don't matter unless you stick in knight class for all 99 levels, then you will get 999 hp

Gear is where the stats come from
>>
>>2797540
Because random damage. They're trash sadly. Still have a hilarious story about them though. When I was doing an Astrologer sscc, I was stuck on Elmdor for a while. I realized through some calculations the only way to win the battle was a max damage critical with the Slasher. It was literally the only time I ever put equip axe on. Good times....good times....

>>2797409
Growths don't matter that much in FFT unless you're going to 99, and even when you hit there you can easily balance them out with the level up and down trick. Uli has a fantastic tutorial on them on youtube here if you desire to go to that level of autism.

Here's a much shorter video than his 20 part series on the matter that explains it in a lot more brevity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXi8fPJ8w-g

>>2797443
Geomancer's equips can make it pretty worthwhile, aside from that they're not really worth staying in that class. They're far from useless though, there's very little in tactics that could be defined as completely useless though, so take that as you will.

Cute outfit though.
>>
>>2798151
Geomancer kicks ass. Sure they might now be optimal but geomancers are fun with draw out
>>
>>2798238
I like them Anon, don't mistake what I said. Objectively though they're not the best though. They're still more than usable in any normal playthrough though. That's what I love about FFT. Anything is basically viable in the base game, and that's what I dislike about a lot of the hacks out there. They seem to want to cut viability out for a lot of classes.
>>
>>2798238
Only two generic classes that are optimal are basically Wizard and Ninja.

Lots of "usable and fun and not even terrible like Archers" tier builds though.

>>2798250
>Anything is basically viable in the base game, and that's what I dislike about a lot of the hacks out there. They seem to want to cut viability out for a lot of classes.
I honestly don't think that's the intention of many of the mods for the game - they usually want to try to make more things viable and not less.

It's more of a side-effect of the fact that many of them also make the difficulty higher and many things are "viable" in base only because the difficulty is on average really low - like "Monks with Weapon Guard wearing gear completely outdated 20 levels ago" low.

And then there's also kind of the fact that many classes in the game aren't very well-designed from a game design perspective (I'm going to give the game credit that from a flavour perspective they hit the mark) - for example, why the hell does an Oracle need like the entire gamut of Status moves when practically speaking they're basically only really going to be using the same 3-4 ones?

But most mods don't want to change the base design of the classes that much so that's a sticking point
>>
Is there like a 1.3 playthrough on twitch or YouTube I can watch? I want to see it but I don't have the skill to do it all
>>
>>2798864
There's literally a billion of them. Just type 1.3 walk through on Youtube. You can also play the content version, it's apparently easy mode 1.3, but I only played the hard mode so I wouldn't know the difference.

>>2798638
That's basically what I meant. LFT manages to accomplish more difficult while not cutting or destroying the classes' themes. Which is really why I think it's the best hack out there easily.
>>
>>2798884
Beyond it being on a different patch version and thus having slightly different job skillsets, Content tones down level scaling and boss fights.

That's literally all it does. If you don't grind random encounters, it's barely different from the same version of 1.3 and is still a very difficult game.
>>
>>2799189
I think the best change of Content is disabling Elixir on enemy units so they can't pull it out of their ass and just fully heal a unit whenever they feel like it which means things like outlasting MP-reliants enemy set-ups can actually be a thing
>>
>>2799487
Yeah that's a huge issue with the original 1.3. It's grown more and more bothersome with every update. Arch has no idea what the fuck he's doing anymore, if he's even head of it anymore. I haven't kept up with it in a year or two after he paid for that Marche sprite and then made monsters OP as fuck.
>>
>>2800295
Honestly, that monster change was for the best. Trying to use monsters in your party before that patch was an exercise in frustration.
>>
>>2800319
Something had to be done, I agree, but, where it went with it was ridiculous. I think they've scaled it back some since then, but, it still was something that just turned me off from ever trying it again. I've beaten 1.3 like five times and I'm okay with never touching it again. I don't think there's anything they can do to really 'fix' it for me.
>>
Well I just finished fft for the first time, got to say this game kicks ass
>>
>>2800295
Wait, he PAID for someone to sprite Marche? That's just strange.

Anyway, 1.3 isn't handed off to someone else but it isn't actively worked on anymore either unless there's a surprise release.

>>2800319
>>2800328
Monsters are in a bad position due to FFT's design and it's still kind of the same in 1.3 - they just fall over slightly less easily.

I don't know whether they're OP still - out of the monster types I've tried, I think only 3 gets any kind of usage, and even then it's really niche usage: Morbols, Skeletons and Trees

Not very OP on the enemy side too or at least not something I really worry about - status effects just shut them down.

There's only a few storyline battles with monsters in them and I wish I could change this and mix it up but the hard-coded sprite limit stops me. Sweegy Woods is hard if you don't have Wizards/Knights because Squires are just so bad, but is completely neutered otherwise, Araguay Woods is actually pretty damn relaxing for a 1.3 map since it's all Goblins and Finath River is the only hard one because of the sheer numerical advantage (13 Chocobos - without reaching that sort of Critical Mass, they're actually kind of bad units in 1.3 because they just don't hit hard enough to really do battlefield control)
>>
>>2800445
King Behemoth is pretty usable if you know how to use Almagest properly. I know red chocobos are still used because Choco Jinx is a very powerful ability against enemies with reaction abilities that are shit to deal with, especially if you want to steal Elmdor's equipment, and there are a bunch of other monsters that at least qualify as usable.
>>
Speaking of 1.3 wrecking stuff with recent updates, I'm trying to put together a better Squire skillset because 0.8 just kind of removed every single reason to use an already niche class (no Accumulate).

So far the skillset looks like this
*Throw Stone
*Heal (changed to heal same conditions as Esuna)
*Yell (100% Haste. Range 3. CT 3)
*Wish (Revives at 5* HP. Range 3)
*Cheer Up (100% Regen. Range 3) - I really want to change this but it seems like a lot of the stupid "1v1 duels" in 1.3 is built around the fact that Ramza has this skill
*Target (SP * WP formula. No Evasion. CT 4)
*Defy Pain (Only usable on targets that are Critical/Confusion/Slow/Death Sentence. Cures those conditions and restores 50% HP. Range 1)
*Wild Swing ( Rdm(1..9)*(PA*3+8) formula a.k.a buffed Repeating Fist. Hits adjacent targets around yourself.)

So far in testing, the support side is OK-ish with Yell being outstanding but the damage skills is still rather iffy.

Any good patches with good Squires I can steal ideas from? (I already know about LFT)
>>
File: 1326217408449.jpg (33 KB, 300x375) Image search: [Google]
1326217408449.jpg
33 KB, 300x375
>The pervert
>>
>>2800295
>Arch has no idea what the fuck he's doing anymore, if he's even head of it anymore.
So basically right now Arch is George Lucas to this thing?
>>
>>2803297
He was George Lucas from Day 1.

ZING
>>
>>2803331
He stole everything about 1.3 actually. He's a scumbag who's stole a bunch of shit and got famous from other people's work. He's a fucking scumbag to say the least. Ever since he's been "head" it's been getting progressively worse and worse though.

>>2800613
So you're trying to meet a half and half? That could work. I don't really like wide variances in random damage unless you're using the patch to reduce how random it is. I feel like heal shouldn't be as strong since you have defy pain in there. I feel like you're steeping on each of the skills' toes and drawing value away from more advance classes like Priest. With that in mind, you could try stealing from CCP. It doesn't really have a squire class, but, its butler task could have a few things to implement like a move to cancel spell charging and such. If you haven't already, make a topic on FFH as well.
>>
>>2800445
Yeah he definitely paid someone for it. I can try to dig it up, or he might of deleted the post. He tends to do that whenever he gets backlash from anything.

>>2800445
There was a time where Monsters were extremely overpowered and potent. I'm sure they've been nerfed since then, but, this is when I stopped paying attention to it though. I've really given up on that mod becoming good again and I'm sticking with version 1.3030 which is arguably the last good version of the mod out there.
>>
>>2797540
IMO they should've been available to Staff users to offset their shittiness.

Hey, it gives options.

>>2788143
To be fair Limits do hit pretty hard. Still don't get why Materia Blade is weaker than a Rune Blade though. Or why it isn't a Knight Sword at that, if only to poke fun at Big Sword Guy.
>>
what are some other games where mathematics can be used offensively like the Calculator
>>
>>2803687
Defy Pain's supposed to be a niche healing skill and the Status healing is a bonus (Had to do it this way because of the particular way FFT's status infliction system works) while Heal is the status healing package. Both of them are Range 1 for added riskiness value while a Priest and Chemist can do their jobs from a distance.

If there's one job I think Squire is stepping on, it's probably Monk if you think about it.

Wild Swing -> Spin Fist
Heal -> Stigma Magic
Wish -> Revive (though you could also say Wish is a less consistent Phoenix Down)

I think there's some distinctions to be made where the Monk tends to have more AOE and the effects are higher powered but at the cost of Vertical Tolerance.

Stepping on toes is kind of hard to avoid because of the things 1.3 makes as its design choices like removing most "permanent effect" buffs from the classes - Oracle/Mediator/Sage all end up inflicting mostly the same effects with their distinctions being "Good chassis/ Instant Speed + Minor buff / Huge AOE"

Cancel: Charging does already exist as a thing in 1.3 as Stunning Strike on the Marksman class though I'm not opposed to "doubling up" - probably on Throw Stone if it's not for the fact that I'm pretty sure the end result would be Throw Stone would only be usable on units who are currently Charging just like how Defy Pain works.
>>
>>2803883
Axes and Maces just don't have enough WP to justify their randomness.

That being said, Maces have a pre-Chapter 4 use on Agrias - Equip Sword Ninja with Scorpion Tail (23 WP) on top hand and whatever sword on the bottom for 23 WP Holy Swordskill.

Axes just suck, but most FFT mods I've seen just change Axes into a giant 2H Stat Stick - usually the first axe becomes +3 PA which ironically suddenly makes Equip Axe become one of the best early-game Support Skills you can buy.
>>
File: 1443573587024.jpg (18 KB, 229x278) Image search: [Google]
1443573587024.jpg
18 KB, 229x278
>>2767936
I've got a really stupid question. I've played through the game a few times. I don't think I've ever used "heal" with a squire and had it work. What's up with this ability? Is it broken or does it require specific zodiac and stats?
>>
>>2805368

it only heals poison, blind and silence. Might not have any vertical range either.
>>
>>2805389
Now I feel dumb lol. I did say it was a stupid question. I guess I never bothered to look it up because I always moved on to another job.128
>>
new to /vr/ but i played before
any way to play this game and mods for it on my phone?
>>
>>2805410
retroarch
>>
>>2805410
Either Retroarch, or ePSXe for Android if the former doesn't work out for your device. PPSSPP is out there for the PSP version.

Don't bother with the mobile version, they fucked up the porting (as Squeenix does with just about everything they have direct control over at this point).
>>
I have a character who has mastered both Time Mage and White Mage. Does it matter which one I set them at? I have him at White Mage now since that class seems to have higher speed.
>>
>>2806117
Use whichever class you like better, time mage gets better equips but their practically the same, it shouldn't matter too much

However you should learn other classes to get reaction passive and move abilities
>>
>>2806002
I don't know, I think mobile may be worth it on iShit. Reason being that you can patch that one to behave more like it should, and the multiplayer only items are available by other means.
>>
>>2806624
The main problem with the mobile editions is that Square essentially lost the source code before PSP, and probably didn't know that we had a much better patch for the PSP's edition's slowdown. So what we have is a hack of a hack made by amateurs that runs in an emulation shell.

Basically they decided to speed up animations to fake a fix, and it causes all sorts of problems. Whereas the fix provided by LiOS and the like actually fixes the slowdown. But we can't do that to the Android version yet because the security is tougher.
>>
>>2807362
Nice. That sounds wonderful to be honest.
Fucking hell Square.

>>2806117
Both classes are perfectly usable. Time Mage would have higher MA overall though, while Priest is faster I believe. I'd have to double check. Anyway, both of them are perfectly fine friend. Go ahead and use what you want.
>>
File: FUCKYEAHDWARVES.jpg (229 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
FUCKYEAHDWARVES.jpg
229 KB, 1024x768
the best class is dorf
>>
>>2793873
Rad has bailed me out of so many bad situations, he is a true bro. Don't be mad at Rad.
Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.