[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will we ever see SotN romhacks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: large[1].jpg (114 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
large[1].jpg
114 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>2763660
I'm pretty sure there's already one that re-balances the game. Last I saw it, it only worked on emulators.
>>
>>2763663

Oh you mean hard mode? Yeah that exists and it's alright. That and a JP retranslation are the only romhacks that exist for the game.

I'd love to see a nice real map editor and the ability for people to create new castles. Sadly may never happen. SotN is only a few years older than Super Metroid, but SM has had so many new map romhacks for ages.
>>
>>2763672
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=11315.0

Will this ever be finished? Probably not.
>>
>>2763672
all metroid hacks are fanwank that require to do frame precise bomb jumps, rushing through lava, reverse fake morphball shine spark yadda yadda trash
it's very obviously made to be played with savestates
>>
>>2763663
Hardmode and the JP translation can both be burned to work on chipped playstations. I burned hardmode wrong first time, but someone on here said he'd done it, so I gave it another go.

Thjere's also the SoTN hackd project by Esco, which has been going for at least 7 years now. Full credit to Esco, he updates pretty frequently, and he's always working on the project. He certainly has a vision for the game, and has even put out a few tech demos. On the downside he's jumped game engines three times, and it's been *seven* years.

https://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/
>>
>>2763672
>new castles
Or remake Harmony of Dissonance.
>>
>>2763858
>On the downside he's jumped game engines three times, and it's been *seven* years.
The real downside is that he originally was working on a REAL editor for SotN, then he discovered hacking was hard and decided to just recreate the game in another pre-made engine like all the other /agd/'s. So instead of getting an editor, we're getting a fangame.
>>
>>2763901
>he originally was working on a REAL editor for SotN
I thought he was using other people's half-completed tools, and hacking into the ROM where he could otherwise. He never had any plans to create useable tools IIRC, let alone for releasing those.

But yeah, the fangame aspect is not perfect. It might still be pretty cool though. His heart is certainly in the right place.
>>
>>2763817
>all metroid hacks are fanwank that require to do frame precise bomb jumps, rushing through lava, reverse fake morphball shine spark yadda yadda trash
>it's very obviously made to be played with savestates

Not all of them. I don't care for those types either. Some just work as expansion packs with new maps.

Fan content keeps games relevant and fresh.

>>2763858
>Thjere's also the SoTN hackd project by Esco

Yeah, he's basically just remaking the game with changes in a new engine. It's really over doing it. And since it's just a remake it's in real danger of a cease and desist if he ever completes. And at 7 years, he could have just made a new god damn game.
>>
>Nyxojaele started working on an editor in 2010
>Last update was March 2012
>All you can really do is view the maps and enemy placements(I think)

At least he released a doc with all the info he found. Someone might actually be able to create an editor based on that info.
>>
>>2763660
You mean almost every Castlevania game that Konami made afterwards?
>>
>>2764941

Those were new engines, on smaller platforms. The games always felt much smaller. Much more limited inventories, options, spells, etc.
>>
>>2763901
>>2763929
He's remaking it in Unity. That's far beyond "no longer care".
>>
>harder mode
>Castlevania
What's the point? inb4 muh challenge
>>
>>2765052
What? Who implied someone had stopped caring, and about what? Esco? But what did we imply he didn't care about?
>>
I just noticed Alucard uses shoulder pads
>>
>>2763663
Hard mode will work on an actual console. You'll just need a way to play burned discs.
>>
>>2763660
God I hope not.
>>
>>2766182
>What's the point?
I take it you haven't played SotN.
Pro tip: its really easy, even when placing artificial restrictions on yourself.
>>
someone tell me where to get this hardmode romhack
>>
>>2769982
https://www.google.com/search?q=sotn+hardmode+rom+hack
>>
>>2770135
yeah, I'm lazy as fuck, and the first few links were garbage when I checked.

reading farther down the list (OMG the effort), I found it
http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/80-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-hardtype/

thanks
>>
>>2763663
Works on my CFW PSP as well.
>>
This game is way over rated.

playstation is not retro and all the games have aged like garbage.
>>
>>2770196
Downloaded it. It was just a patch file called a ppf and the txt just has version history and talks about what it does. They couldn't be bothered to include any kind of patching tool, the necessary md5 for the iso, or instructions on what the hell to actually do with it.
>>
File: WhoInvitedThisFaggot.jpg (191 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
WhoInvitedThisFaggot.jpg
191 KB, 600x450
>>2772667
>says it's not retro
>but it's old enough for games to have "aged like garbage"

There's a board just for your kind. Leave and never return. At least not until your PS4 and Xbone games have aged like cr... oh, wait. Well, wait until they're retro, I guess.

>>>/v/
>>
>>2772707
I'll grant that's annoying...

The tool is easy to find, i used ppf-o-matic3.exe. The file i patched was Castlevania.Symphony.Of.The.Night.NTSC.US.bin. It's not an .iso, but the patch tool doesn't give a shit. Version had a .cue file and one .bin file, not separate tracks. Not sure where i got it, mb isozone? BoL.

Patched the .bin, then burned it with imgburn from the same (unmodified, i think?) .cue. worked happily on my onechipped psone.
>>
>>2773013
.bin file size: 556 MB (583,331,280 bytes)
>>
>>2773013
Bin and iso are actually the same exact thing. As long as the cue is directed at the correct filename, you can rename a bin to an iso and vice versa.
>>
>>2772712
>Well, wait until they're retro, I guess.

>out of date hardware
>not retro

Top kek
>>
>>2774186
go back to your containment board.
>>
>>2774146
>This is not entirely true. ISO is a rather simple disc image format, while BIN/CUE is a raw copy of a disc, sector by sector, including copy protection, error correction, track list, multi track, and any system specific information on the disc. It is for this reason that many "old-timers" rightly consider BIN/CUE to be the most pure copy of a disc. On the other hand ISO only keeps the files and folders on the disc and loses much of the other information.

It'll work a lot of the time, but not for multiple tracks, and in a few other situations. Here we're wouldn't want to deal with multiple tracks though.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.