[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MMOs can be considered Retro Gaming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: EverQuest_Coverart.png (169 KB, 256x304) Image search: [Google]
EverQuest_Coverart.png
169 KB, 256x304
Everquest, the first MMO (not 3D MUDs like Ultima), released in March 1999.

Project 1999 is a thing now as well. Perfectly capturing the game's evolution and expansion release dates relatively perfectly.

And the game is still getting expansions with The Shattered Mirror(?).
>>
File: 361.jpg (305 KB, 550x289) Image search: [Google]
361.jpg
305 KB, 550x289
The Broken Mirror is the new expansion.
>>
i wish i could get threads up on this game but no one that plays goes to 4chan i dont think. 105 paladin povar here.
>>
>>2762827
That's what I put first, but then I thought shattered mirror had a better vocabulary. I'll go back off to a dictionary now.

>>2762829
I would play more, but my friends and I all have lives. I'm trying though.
70 Iks Shd, by the way
>>
>>2762840
the learning curve is too high. you either dedicate to it or just have fun playing.
>>
>>2762850
I wouldn't say you need to dedicate too much time for it as the game is fairly straightforward. A little guiding hand is very nice, but there's always the magic of exploration as well
>>
As frustrating as this game was, I lament that I will never have the feeling of immersion like I did in this game or in DAOC.

Bring back the leveling curve in games. It isn't artificial expansion of the content. Its literally the BEST way to learn how to play your class, become social in game and eliminate disruptive players from the available pool of users before it matters.

Hell, even WoW did this somewhat right up until Wrath.
>>
p99 is great.
just got done camping the treants in SK for the past 8 hours. what the fuck am I doing with my life.
>>
Anyone ever play Neverwinter Nights or Gemstone 3 via http?
>>
>>2762895
i didnt think you could use straightforward and everquest in the same sentence. the entire game, from items you find to spells to most if not all aas and quests are so vague they never do what you think they do. half the game is spent on zam or eqresources just researching...well everything.
>>
>>2763840
Hmmm... Maybe I've played too much that I'm used to it. But basically, spells in PoK, items from player stores, cash from gunthak at 50 ish. Then hotzones will give you an idea of where you should be hunting.
>>
>>2762791
Is it true that I have to Ebay a copy of EQ Titanium to play this?
>>
>>2764083
We've moved from Titanium to Uranium a couple years ago
>>
>>2764247
So that's a yes then?
>>
>>2763938
no your right, every new player eventually finds their way down the same path. but the skill gap between good and bad players is ridiculous. i hate grouping with non raiders because its basically me carrying them

>>2764083
no you can get the package off of kickasstorrents. i played p99 for a while it was fun. hard to find a group as a wizard though.
>>
>>2763385

fuckin agreed, minus the WoW part.

everquest seemed like a promising new age for vidya with MMOs. lots of flaws, but thinking about what future MMOs could build on was mindblowing at the time.

and then wow came along and singlehandedly destroyed the genre. fuck that cartoonish, childish theme park garbage.
>>
>>2764083

if you are referring to playing project 1999, you can easily torrent a copy of titanium.
>>
>>2765148
>>2765157
Awesome, thanks. I heard I needed a valid CD key for Project 1999, and I didn't know if they meant valid as in 'Once someone else uses this, it's claimed' where I'd have to EBay or if they just meant having any CD key. See you honkeys in High Keep.
>>
>>2765152
vanilla WoW was fantastic. It dwarfed all other MMOs for a reason.
>>
>>2762791
Meridian59 > EQ
>>
>>2765583
>reason

Viral marketing campaign pushing it as a casual MMO that even non-gamers can enjoy.
>>
>>2765583
No. It's easy to access, which is the only reason it became popular. Then, when it became popular, everyone had to try it at least once. Because it was easy, a lot of people got hooked.
WoW was never as good as EQ. Right now, EQ *still* stands as the pinnacle of what an MMORPG should be. Any other suggestions may be considered.
>>
>>2765821
At the time they weren't wrong and WoW followed that as a design spec all the way along!
>>
I miss Keith.
>>
File: mmm.gif (891 KB, 325x252) Image search: [Google]
mmm.gif
891 KB, 325x252
>>2762791
>not 3D MUDs like Ultima

Huh? UO was isometric 2D. It was the first true MMORPG.
>>
>>2767159
>first true MMORPG

No.
>>
>>2767165

Explain.
>>
>>2767195
Not him, but I suppose he talks about Meridian 59.
>>
>>2766382
I think his art was responsible for half of my masturbation sessions as a 12 year old back in 1999.
>>
>>2767209
>>2767195
Even beyond that, there's the old 1991 Neverwinter Nights game that was hosted on AOL. Was there one from before that? I'd imagine just with network speeds that little more than MUDs or games that didn't meet the "massive multiplayer" part of the acronym.
>>
Is EQ1 still any good? I was really into Final Fantasy XI (itself an EQ clone) but dropped it after an update which made things much easier and more casual, which I thought broke the spirit of the game.
>>
>arguing over the term MMO versus 3D MUD

Who even cares when we live in a dystopian future where any online game with RPG elements is mistakenly labeled an "MMO", even if it's 90% instanced.
>>
>>2768189
Pick it up for yourself. It's free to play now, so you can decide if it's good for yourself.
Many people will remember the game fondly, myself included, but its understandable if new players get very lost as it doesn't hold your hand too often.
The tutorial area is good for learning the game, but when you get out into the real world, you'll find that it is very, very big.
>>
File: Misty Acorn.png (104 KB, 741x485) Image search: [Google]
Misty Acorn.png
104 KB, 741x485
>>2763717
better then looking for these god-forsaken things
>>
>>2768189
If you think that FFXI is casualized, the official EQ1 servers are going to be a major disappointment for you.
>>
>>2769450
>Accidentally drop something
>Fuck, where's that tiny ass bag
>>
I'm installing everything now and going to be using project 1999. I've never played before, how awesome is this gonna be?
>>
>>2770401
>never played before

Nostalgia is literally the only thing keeping it afloat. Without that, there's nothing to keep you playing it. It's shit.
>>
>>2770406
Well, that was overwhelmingly negative and akin to the posts saying all ps1 games look ugly.
>>
File: eq2next01.jpg (45 KB, 580x321) Image search: [Google]
eq2next01.jpg
45 KB, 580x321
>>2770401
want MAX immersion turn off the music & turn up the other sounds
>>
>>2765903
agreed. for me i cant play any other mmo simple because they are all too easy. eq has a level of difficulty most games cant match. even something as simple as dying in eq is actually a fucking hassle when you lose 10% of your gained xp and have to get rebuffed dealwith rez effects run back to your camp etc.
>>
>>2770401
It's rather enjoyable if you're looking for a game that isn't going to hold your hand at all. Even the grinding can be fun because if you fuck up you'll die and death actually has consequences in EQ.
>>2772036
I disagree, the music can be quite good and I'd hate for a new player to not give it a chance. Besides, outside of combat it only really plays in cities anyway.
>>
>>2775845
I still find myself humming the theme song after all these years. Top tier composition.
>>
>>2772036

I pretty much always had music off, the merchant music was soothing as fuck though. I guess they had to balance it due to merchants raping you constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwV1j1L9Kgg
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.