[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
System Shock Enhanced Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: hqdefault.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
This just released on Steam a few days ago. Tried playing SSPortable a year ago and it ran like shit on my PC. I've played and finished SS2 countless times and it's amazing. Just wondering, is this port worth it? I've heard SS1 hasn't aged all that well and that most people tend to skip it but I'm super curious to try this game out!
>>
System shock 1 is perfectly playable...with the mouselook mod installed.
>>
Enhanced Edition is good but I'm not going to bother responding properly because some asspained faggot mod/janitor that really hates the publisher has been going around and deleting every SS1 thread on /vr/ since it was released on GOG. Enjoy your thread while it lasts, however long that may be.
>>
its worth it, OP. you get the OST in FLAC too
>>
>>2761285
I liked 1 a lot more than 2 despite all the old-game jank.
>>
>>2761452

Well that would suck if it's really the case, enhanced editions of retro games are sitll retro imo.

Don't know about Enhanced Edition but SS1 is definitely a good game, go for it OP.
>>
Am I right in thinking that since I have never played a first person shooter even though I am 31, I will not have a problem with the controls of this game, since I am not used to modern controls at all? (in fact I ignore them completely)

I only play platformers, fighting games, racing games, turn based and real time strategy games, shmups, beat em ups and zelda style action adventure games, but I guess I will have to try a first person shooter some day.
>>
>>2761772
>I have never played a first person shooter even though I am 31
All of my wut?
Like really? Does that make you something like a Wizard? I'm confused now.

Anyway though no you should be good to go to play an FPS. Idk how SS1 controls in comparison to quake 2 or something though.
>>
>>2761770
There's been like at least 4 threads about SS1 EE since it came out on GOG, each of them get to something like 100 posts and then they just magically disappear off the board, and you look at the latest post on the last page of the board and see that it was fucking 3 days ago or something, so there's no way it just legitimately fell off.

There's usually some huge asspained guy who I assume is the mod/janitor in these threads that spends 10 posts and walls of text telling everyone how terrible Nightdive is and how they stole System Shock Portable or whatever. Even though I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that Nightdive worked with the guys who made SSP and other mods to create Enhanced with them, and also offering higher resolutions and better performance that those mods don't offer at all.

The kind of guy that just cries for days about abandonware being fixed up and sold digitally to let a lot more people have shot at playing it than the tiny audience the System Shock modding scene produced for. Inb4 xD le SHILL xD yeah whatever, I bought the game and played it. I liked it far more with the higher resolutions and better controls it offered than when I tried SS1 vanilla ages ago and had no knowledge of the barely existing modding scene that game had. It offered an experience to me which I didn't know was available previously.

Here's a free download of the gog version to prove I'm not a shill to the fucking janitor that tries to use that as an excuse to purge every thread I've seen about this game: https://mega.nz/#!1s4i0C5A!WbzO7xcUbkXAm3TC6JQ5BGvJHPayMXQ9elm-HbuvNyY
>>
>>2761776
I played a demo of a Star Wars fps around 1995, in a cd that also had a demo of Full throttle.
That is my only fps experience.
I just never got around to playing a first person shooter.
>>
>>2761845
Star Wars Dark Forces is a pretty good game.
>>
>>2761851
yes, it was this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW8yk_eIHJU

but I think I will give a try to System Shock because I have seen it in some top 100 best games lists.
>>
>>2761870
do it, mang. i played it for the first time last year and thought it was great. i used system shock portable and the mouselook mod, but the gog thing is probably just as good (although i think some of the portraits look awful).

not having fps experience will probably help you if anything - the existence of menuing won't seem strange and the other rough edges might not stand out as much. the game's just decent in the fps department, but it's superb in atmosphere and how it rewards exploration with tidbits of story, so if you go into it expecting those things in an fps framework then you'll be good.

>>2761835
well, night dive is a shit company. ss2 was a fiasco, with them using mods that had rights reserved without modder permission. threads revealed a bunch of obvious lies and finger pointing between them and gog. the best part though is their product is illegal, having modified source code without them securing the rights to said code, but that seemed to slide under the radar of the copyright owners. i find it hilarious that after everything that's happened, the only way to legally own ss2 is to have an original, physical copy.

however, i thought ss1 was supposed to have come about in a much better way, them actually working with one of the modders. worst i read was that nobody bothered to seriously playtest the final product, so the final boss fight was nearly impossible. that's surely been patched by now, though. i think it was mostly that everyone in the ss community expected them to pull some shit similar to what they did with ss2.
>>
File: 2015-10-26_00002.jpg (447 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-26_00002.jpg
447 KB, 1920x1080
what's the best virtual MIDI program/ soundfont combination for ss enhanced?
>>
>>2761285
wow the steam release went right under my radar
fucking great game right there good re-release too
>>
Is there any way to add ambience sounds or at least footsteps or something? I really dislike the music, it's anything but atmospheric, so I turn it off but then everything is basically silent.
>>
>>2762682
How can you dislike System Shock's soundtrack. It's like one of the best vidya soundtracks of the 90's.
>>
>>2762696
It isn't atmospheric. I prefer something slower paced.
>>
>>2762728
its plenty atmospheric but yeah there are no sound effects outside of explosions enemies and gunshots etc i think
>>
>>2762696
>How can you dislike System Shock's soundtrack. It's like one of the best vidya soundtracks of the 90's.

lol no. I hate it too. I remember slinking around a creepy area of the ship and this just came blasting on https://youtu.be/d-3u9vO9UUE?t=40

I had to turn it off
>>
>>2763164
an enemy must have alerted on you.

unless the re-release screwed up the soundtrack. the music should be dynamic/adaptive.
>>
File: system_shock.jpg (54 KB, 600x302) Image search: [Google]
system_shock.jpg
54 KB, 600x302
Just bought this badboy myself. I'm really loving it so far, and the controls are much better. Is the music supposed to be repeating itself over and over and over again? In the end I just muted it, and turned on a random Dark Ambient Space mix on youtube. Gives the game an entirely different vibe.
I think I'm going to be playing this for a while. Not sure if I'll ever beat it, since it's a pretty huge maze.
>>
>>2762696
It's horribly cheesy. The game feels something out of the Lawnmover Man, with it's descent-like cyberspace and the blaring MIDI all the time. The horrible voice acting and the unsynched captions seal the deal. It's surely ambitious, and with the mods it's really nice to play. Especially after Ultima Underworld, that thing is a pain when it comes to clunky interface and puzzling controls.
>>
>>2763480
Yeah, the songs are only like a minute long max. The Mac version had different music, so check that out if you want.
>>
Pirate. Don't waste money on something that doesn't benefit the original devs.

Who am I kidding, I'll just get some snarky meme response by assholes who don't give a shit about where their money goes.

>the Portable version ran like shit on my PC

I don't even get how this is possible, the game is ANCIENT.
>>
>>2763495
>blaring MIDI
You're not one of those Microsoft GS faggots are you
>>
The roar the virus zombies make really threw me off the first time I heard it, it's the exact same as the one Bowser does in one of the Mario game.
>>
>>2762570
Bassmidi with SC-55 soundfont.
>>
File: jap ss.jpg (282 KB, 1399x2048) Image search: [Google]
jap ss.jpg
282 KB, 1399x2048
>>2763164
>>2763240
>>2763480
it's supposed to loop and i don't think it can start out of nowhere but its supposed to blend into other tunes when you go to different areas though sometimes that doesnt work out too well lol
the levels may look like a maze on the map screen but they make a lot of sense when you play them a bit engineering is confusing as heck though
>>2763632
of course not but you can send warren spector some cash if you really want to
the main difference for EE is that it uses the new version of SHLINK (and mods with permission) so no more dosbox lag if you play it higher than 640x480 for example
>>2763796
i'll check this out
>>
>>2764019
that's a really nice boxart
>>
>>2764019
This cover art looks way fucking cooler than the Europe/NA one.
>>
System Shock has not aged badly at all, with mouselook controls. It's a must-play classic and not inferior to SS2.
It plays really well: the sound and visual design is great, combat, level and mision design aside from the virtual reality "arcad-y" parts is varied and fun to play and the storylogs especially SHODAN monologues are fucking awesome as you would expect.

I would strongly recommend this to any RPG fan because of the relatively strong focus on exploration/items/interactivity compared to a normal Doom shooter.
>>
>>2764664
>>2764701
it was originally the art for the included guide in the other versions though
>>
> I've heard SS1 hasn't aged all that well

Just for future reference; whenever you hear that from anyone about literally anything regardless of age or medium, what it actually means in about 99% of cases is that the person looked at it for about 10 seconds, decided they couldn't be bothered, and now they feed everyone the "aged poorly" line so they can avoid admitting they probably have ADD.
>>
>>2763632
I'm really not sure why it ran so badly ether. My PC isn't the best but it can run games from like 2010 at 60 fps or more so I'm just as baffled as you. I thought it was it not being optimized for the higher resolutions. I found the game pretty much unplayable at the lower resolutions just gave up.
>>
>>2761285
Waiting for this:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/citadel
>>
File: SystemShockPoster.jpg (61 KB, 582x800) Image search: [Google]
SystemShockPoster.jpg
61 KB, 582x800
>>2764664
>>2764701
yeah i think its cool its a shame its not in the bonus art stuff that comes with enhanced there are only a couple of scetches of an elite cyborg and this poster
>>2765224
EE or dos? dosbox will lag if you play at higher resolutions regardless of how powerful your pc is
>>2765392
i have a feeling night dive will shut this down but who knows maybe they'll reach some kind of agreement i know he was planning co-op and deathmatch stuff
>>
>>2765005
There is a valid reason no one replicated how SS1 handled aiming.
>>
>>2767214
>he hasn't played Terra Nova
>>
>>2767386
it's too bad terra nova didn't do so well if only it had multiplayer!
i really like the dungeon crawling type gameplay where you just use the mouse to interact with everything i think the last game to do this would have been arx fatalis now everything has to be a half baked action game
>>
>>2767214
CyClones was similar. Free-floating crosshair not locked to the center of the screen, independent of your turning/tilting controls.
>>
>>2764664
>>2764701

Looks like Tron to me
>>
>>2767668
I've imagined that being a system for how VR headsets will end up working, a target system separate from looking and turning. Steel Battalion does it too, you have a rotation stick and a camera stick, but your aiming reticule is a third stick.

Maybe System Shock is actually a VR headset game before the tech ever really hit the PC.

As for the resolution-fueled lag, is that only in dosbox or does the original suffer from that as well?
>>
>>2764019
Is there a scan of this without the sticker in the corner?
>>
>>2768138
Speaking of VR, here's this bit from the Q&A with the programmer of System Shock.

Q: How far did you get with virtual headset support for SS1? Although I heard many times that it was implemented in System Shock the best info I could ever find was some remarks in a Terra Nova readme file.

A: We had it at least at a demo stage. I definitely remember playing shock in stereo 3D on a Forte headset. It was pretty cool, although stereoscopic sprites gave it kind of a "viewmaster" feel.

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=6971
>>
>>2761285
SSEnhanced is literally just a repackaged SSPortable, so unless you upgraded your computer it's still going to run like shit. Emulating SS is just really cpu intensive, especially at 768.
>>
>>2768468

Enhanced Edition doesn't use dosbox or require emulation. I had trouble running SSP at even 320x240 but EE ran smooth as butter at 1024x768.
>>
>>2768153
SS1 had lots of control gimmicks that should have stayed in the realm of the impossible. Much like the support to that resounding success of a peripheral that was the Cyberman.
>>
I just bought it on Humble and am really enjoying it. Never played it before really. Humble gives you a DRM free and Steam copy for the same price as on Steam.

I'm using mouse look, I fail to see how the original camera is any better or makes it anymore hardcore
>>
>>2770575
its just makes it too easy imo
i never liked the mouse look mod all that much but i can understand why people would want to use it ive the original control sceme
>>
>>2770815
>Im Fighting the controls that makes me hardcore

Naw. Just up the general games difficulty
>>
>>2770920
>fighting the controls
not once you get used to them it's how it was meant to be played anyway
ive beaten the game on difficulty index 36 as well
>>
Im a bit stumped. I must be missing a camera on level 3 somewhere. Before I waste time looking more, to get into the office where the security node was I have to destroy all cameras right? The current security level is in like the 10s. I can't find this last fucking camera if there is one
>>
>>2770995
you can find cameras easily by opening your map (ctrl+a) and selecting security, radius etc
there are some cameras you cant access on level 3 until you need to fix some bs for virus mission there is also a retinal scanner lock that requires a certain persons head
>>
>>2771006
Im just a bit confused. I read that about the head and such before. I turned the shield on, I know where the laser control is, the reactor doors are locked and the only entrance gives too many rads. I did turn the shield on. I thought I was supposed to get a protective suit from level 3.

I'm assuming I am now supposed to be on level 5 since I got a new radio call when going there from the freight elevator. I've been playing 8 hours today. I'll play more tomorrow once I'm not so tired
>>
>>2771008
You get it later, there'll be a section where you need to go back to level 3 to repair something. For now just try to progress through the station.
>>
>>2771014
Alright. The radio and such just had me thinking differently. Been trying not to use a walkthrough, but after a certain point here wandering around under a misconception I had to look for some info. Greatly enjoying it though
>>
>>2771018
>>2771008
sounds like you haven't finished laser mission
they kind of let you go anywhere up to level 6 after getting out of medical so it's a little confusing
you probably missed the laser override thing that is west in the reactor room then head up to the large central room on level 2
>>
>>2771026
I guess I probably haven't finished it then. I thought the override was inside the reactor. It's kind of hard to find help for the game. A lot of guides are barebones, which I guess is good
>>
>>2771028
>>2771026
Oh, yeah. I remember this place. I swear I was getting bad rad damage here so I ran out. It's always something like this that gets me stuck
>>
>>2768468
Except what you said is entirely wrong, as SSEnhanced doesn't use DOSBox or emulation and it runs entirely differently from SSP on DOSBox. Try the game before talking about shit you don't know senpai.
>>
File: 1444017086784.jpg (18 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
1444017086784.jpg
18 KB, 330x330
>>2771048
it's actually SHLINK
>https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=2123.0
when night dive acquired the rights they got in contact with the author to fix it up and used that for the release along with some mods from portable integrated mouselook etc.
though 2 mods didn't end up in EE which are the scaled sprites and audio/text corrections make of that what you will.
>>
I've just gotten into it and can safely say it's one fantastic game that I've missed. I can't say the original control scheme is even half decent but with the mouselook mod in enhanced edition it's an absolutely great title that is now one of my favorite classic games.

10/10 game, really.

No issues running it either.
>>
File: uhhhh.png (189 KB, 294x282) Image search: [Google]
uhhhh.png
189 KB, 294x282
>Think I'll be a casual shit and look up the reactor codes since I forgot to write them down
>Codes change each play through
>>
>I only play platformers, fighting games, racing games, turn based and real time strategy games, shmups, beat em ups and zelda style action adventure games, but I guess I will have to try a first person shooter some day.

This is some next level wizardry. Are you alright m8? >>2761772
>>
File: 2015-11-02_00008.jpg (159 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-02_00008.jpg
159 KB, 1920x1080
Wew lad. What a fun game
>>
File: 2015-10-29_00008.jpg (76 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-29_00008.jpg
76 KB, 1024x768
>>2772612
actually they fucked up EE the code is the same every playthrough for some reason when it should be random
>>2772765
nice i had so many regenerations because hoppers were spawning in the level R regen room and i had to beat them to death with the pipe early on
>>
what the fuck is the deal with the music, I feel like I'm playing some wacky carnival game and whats the fucking ON ON honking sound?
>>
>>2773995
you're not using a soundblaster or a SC-55 soundfont
>>
>>2774062
>SC-55 soundfont
a what now how do i even use it?

but no really why did they think some honking sound was a good idea?
>>
>>2764701
>>2764664
>>2764019
>>2764972
I think it looks nice, but maybe they didn't use it as the US/Europen boxart because it makes the game look like it will a tron like game.
>>
>>2774238
im pretty sure the game was inspired by tron senpai
>>
>>2774185
>honking sound

I don't remember any kind of honking sound in SS1's musics. Maybe something is wrong with your settings?
>>
>>2775368
the only other thing I've head it in is darkseed 2 and like this OOH OOH or something its really prevalent in the title screen music and everything was on default w7 midi shit
>>
>>2774185
download bassmidi or something
get soundfont (there are some free ones on the bassmidi site that sound alright)
open bassmidi driver config select the soundfont and set it as your default midi synth
if your using dosbox then you can change it in the config file
>>2775368
>>2775516
ive always gotten this unusual loud honk sound in ss1 too i always assumed it had something to do with the dynamic music transitions screwing up
>>
>>2776086
you probably ran it too fast in dosbox
>>
>>2776226
no i tried a bunch of things to no avail it also happens in EE too
it doesnt bother me at all though
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.