[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never got lucky enough to get the Crissaegrim to drop. Does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7
File: Crissaegrim_Icon.png (2 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
Crissaegrim_Icon.png
2 KB, 140x140
I never got lucky enough to get the Crissaegrim to drop. Does it really break the game as much as everyone says?
>>
Yes, although the shield rod already breaks the game a lot.
>>
>>2759268
Yes. It's fun for the first 30 seconds, and then you realize how stupid it makes the game.
>>
Yes. I have no idea what the fuck they were thinking. They could have at least made it a mythic rare drop but no, I got it just by random chance the second time I played through.
>>
>>2759378
Konami can't into game balance, just look-up yugioh then and now.
>>
Only if you consider the game to have been difficult in the first place.

When Alucard goes to the reverse castle is he actually traveling to it's counterpart in hell to beat up his father's soul for causing trouble?
>>
>>2759378
>>2759274
>>2759269
How does ti break the game? All I can find is that you can attack and walk at the same time, I dont see how it breaks.
>>
>>2759419
Its attack rate is insanely fast, and I'm talking "Thousand Blades" fast.
>>
>>2759426
It allows the fastest # of attacks per second and it will beat out the Basilard and Alucard shield, but not throwing knives which will come out as fast as you can press the button.

So it's really a shame you can't use two sub weapons and combo the time stop with the throwing knives
>>
>>2759419
>How does ti break the game?

1. you can attack while walking
2. large arced slash radius in front of you
3. attacks four times in very quick succession at one button press.

It breaks the game as much as the skull ring / ring of varda, which boosts your stats so high that everything deals 1pt damage to you.

However, by the time you get one, the game is already so easy that Galamoth is the only thing that can pose any threat to you.
>>
>>2759443
>it will beat out the Basilard and Alucard shield

Basilard is the second best normal sword that drops from one of those floating swords, right? If so, that one beats out every weapon in the game in one way: shield magic with Alucard shield. It turns you invincible and do 255 damage to any enemy you touch while holding your shield up.
>>
>>2759486
The basilard is a knife that drops from bloody zombies and is the next fastest hitting weapon after the throwing knives and the crissaegrim.

The Alucard Shield actually doesn't hit that fast, but it does do 255 damage to everything, which is basically enough for the entire game.
>>
>>2759419
It makes every enemy/boss in the game a push over. It made it way too easy.
>>
Sure, it breaks the game. But you can't get it until after you beat the game once, so it's post-game material anyways, so who cares?
>>
>>2759268
it makes the game as boring as Finale Toccata
>>
>>2759589
You're thinking about the Ring of Varda.

I guess old 'Grim pretty much makes SotN as entertaining as watching someone play it on youtube.
>>
>>2759268
Yeah, it's one of those items that breaks the game over it's knee, like the Shield Rod, Muramasa, or Mormegil.

>wield Crissaegrim with Mormegil
THE CASTLE CAN'T EVEN HANDLE ME RIGHT NOW!
>>
>>2759378
It's a pretty rare drop, I had to grind Schmoos for like 40 minutes to get it last time.
There's also no indication anywhere in the game that you can find it, you got it by dumb luck most likely.

>>2759389
It's already a really easy game, yeah. Remember that guy who complained he couldn't beat the first Doppelgänger?

>>2759419
It's basically the Vorpal Blade with a turbo function, you can stack like 12 hits in one second and you're 100% mobile when doing this. You don't have to press the attack button for each swing like the Vorpal Blade, it delivers a flurry of strikes each time and they can even overlap to a degree.

You're almost unstoppable, every boss becomes trivial, even Galamoth.
>>
>>2759957
libraran monster book shows drops
>>
>>2759957
To be fair, the first Doppelganger is one of the harder bosses if you don't know what you're doing., and that early in the game you haven't become stupid powerful yet.

The frustrating thing is that the upside down castle should have been where the real challenge lies. But by the time you get there Alucard will be so powerful that the whole thing is a cake walk.

On topic, the Crissaegrim is OP but the Shield Rod is just laying out in the open and is even more broken.

> blocking absorbs projectiles and gives hearts
> you get 3 seconds invulnerability when it hits
> 255 damage (ignores defense) every tick
> each hit also works like Soul Steal so you also heal
> each hit also gives hearts, because everything else wasn't enough.

Literally just walk forward and it kills Drac in under 10 seconds, while you get healed and given hearts the whole time.
>>
>>2759268
Crissegram, fully charged Murasame, Shield Rod, Duplicator, Lvl 99 Fairy, all broke as fuck.
>>
>>2760996
That's probably where I got it from then because I'd often just run around in the library killing those things barely even paying attention while I thought of the best way to proceed, just enjoying the physics.
>>
>>2761195
>Lvl 99 Fairy

How exactly was she broken?

I only used her because she essentially functioned as a "Continue", using the life apples if I ever accidentally killed myself.
>>
File: images.jpg (19 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
19 KB, 443x332
>>2759268
I always like the rune sword better than the crissaegrim
>>
Yeah its ridiculous, it's really easy to get if you're trying to get one (and pretty easy even if you're not) and breaks it completely. Strongest thing in the game short of death skip + sheild rod
>>
>>2759268
Ahh yes, this sword. I remember hearing about how it made a easy game even easier. Never intended to get it on my first playthrough.

Then I killed the first Schmoo I encoutered and... well lets say one particular item on my inventory was ignored for the hole game.
>>
Crissaegrim is strong, but it gets old after a few times. At least there are other interesting weapons out there before you can get it.

>Heaven sword (x2 for special attack)
>Rapier
>Werebane
>Brand weapons (Ice, Thunder, Fire)
>Marsil
>Sword of Dawn
>Rune Sword
>Fist of Tulkas

There are others but dicing the enemies with Crissaegrim gets boring, you want other ways on killing them, either by hordes of skeletons, wide screen explosions or infinte blade summons.
>>
>>2759419
And if you think ONE Chrissaegrim is bad... well, let's just say you have two hands. Fucking ridiculous to the point where Galamoth takes less than two seconds to kill amd there is literally nothing else in the game you ever have to slow down to fight.
>>
Only ever used that shit once, on a second playthrough. It was pretty funny killing everything in 2 seconds, including Dracula.
Since I had my fun with that, I never used it again. Remember, that shit's optional, you don't have to use it.

Not retro, but I never used any gambits or quickenings, or summons in FF12.
I don't like things that make a game too easy unless it's a second playthrough and I'm just fucking around.
>>
Before I found criss I just used the werebane special which was pretty broken as well
>>
>>2762905
werebane is fun to use
Masamune also.
>>
File: dawn3.png (23 KB, 258x210) Image search: [Google]
dawn3.png
23 KB, 258x210
>>2762750
>well lets say one particular item on my inventory was ignored for the hole game.

That's kind of dumb. It's overpowered sure, but half the stuff in the game is and even with non-broken equipment it's pretty easy.

The crazy and weird weapons are where a lot of fun is. Just trying it all out and experimenting with what you find.

My favorite weapon is probably the sword of dawn. It's special is that it summons a skeleton warrior, archer or mage. It's not very powerful or practically useful, but so much fun to roam the castle killing things by summoning an army of skeletons to attack for you.

Also great fun is monster bottles and the duplicator for similar effect. And duplicator plus meal ticket is wonderful to watch an endless stream of weird foods fly out of alucard.
>>
>>2763098
Alucart is where it's at
>>
>>2763246
Alucart is pretty funny.

Actually shield rod and most of the shields is pretty fun. Medusa one is very cool.
>>
File: Heaven'sSword.gif (263 KB, 400x289) Image search: [Google]
Heaven'sSword.gif
263 KB, 400x289
>>2762789

Heaven sword looks cool specially its dual special. Crissaegrim is quite strong and kills boss too fast, sometimes, I want to kill them slowly and stylishly.
>>
>>2759268
>Crissaegrim
Who named this shit?
>>
>>2763395
Tolkien, you pleb.
>>
>>2763395
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Crissaegrim

That overrated "I stole everything from Norse mythology" fag
>>
I played and 200%'d (or close to it, 198%?) this game in Japanese before it came out in the US. This makes me want to play it again and understand wtf everything is
>>
File: 1153632342709.jpg (41 KB, 154x205) Image search: [Google]
1153632342709.jpg
41 KB, 154x205
>>2763437
>That overrated "I stole everything from Norse mythology" fag

Thanks for giving me my laugh of the day.
>>
>crank up the ol epsxe
>load up ol symphony of the nite
>new game
>cheat "add chassegrim"
>laff my butt off @ n00bs with there wussy red rust in one hand and pecker in the other lol :D
>>
>>2763462
>playing SOTN
>opening the menu ever
stay pleb
>>
>>2761330

But anon, that's forbidden!
>>
>>2763246
>>2763252
What makes the Alucart gear funny, beyond boosting your luck?

I've been meaning to do a 99 LCK run, with the Alucart gear, is that worth it? Or it's just the same as a normal run with higher chance of rare drops and (still low damage) critical hits?

Also, is there a way to do a new game with the gear you have in one save?
>>
I actually did a run once where I collected every single item in the game, so this was naturally included. It's the most overpowered weapon I think I've ever seen in a game... without exaggerating. It was a cool trophy to have, though. I've actually farmed it twice. Both times took a while, neither took THAT long, though. Yasutsuna actually took longer both times... and that's like a slightly less broken Crissaegrim.
>>
>>2764318
masamune is way better than yasatsuna
>>
>>2764317
I was referring to the Sheild Rod combo animation being a little funny with the Alucart.

As for the 99 luck run, it's how I pretty well always play the game. Even when the PSP port came out I downloaded a completed save so I didn't have to play through it first to unlock luck mode.

I haven't bothered using the Alucart set with it much, but with the 99 and lapis lazuli (+20 luck I think) the drop rate does go up a fair bit.

It also makes the first part of the game semi-tough which I like. It evens out pretty quickly and by mid way through you still end up a walking god, but I think that's just SotN's design. But other than that, yes it pretty much is just a normal run with a higher drop rate.

Do you mean starting a new game but keeping your old gear? You can't do that, no.
>>
>>2764780
Alucart is fun because you're roaming with counterfeit equipement.
And is also helps tremendously with drops
>>
In a fit of boredom, after getting two crissaegrim, I go back to the chapel to kill the spike ball many times.

It drops an Axe lord armor. Never thought that the spike ball has a drop.
>>
>>2764991
Damn, the one that turns you into an Axe Knight? All this time I thought you could only get it through starting a new game as axeknight. That's pretty sweet.

I think that armor is actually the best way of money farming in the game since it's default walk speed is considerably faster than alucard. In one of the underground areas of the reverse castle is a huge money bag and going back and forth in that armor is faster than wolf transforming or other methods like using the jewel sword.

It's a bit dull, but getting the duplicator makes it all worth it.
>>
>>2765004
Thus my armor list becomes complete.

You can also get the axe lord armor by using hi-jump below the master librarian, I don't know how many times you're gonna do that.
>>
File: 0l0b.gif (788 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
0l0b.gif
788 KB, 360x240
>>2761330
>Rune sword equipped in one slot and Crissaegrim in the other
>Spam and walk through the whole game
I've done this on so many playthroughs. I think I'm overdue for another playthrough of SotN actually.
>>
>>2765013
Ohh interesting. I remember doing that (from the room below, right?) but don't remember what you. Is it random?
>>
>>2765047
I don't think so. Just keep jumping on him without hitting the ceiling. I'm sure of another ring of arcana coming from him.
>>
>>2764737
Masamune is pretty OP, the hitbox is huge and the special is actually useful

I always liked if I could find a rapier on my first pass through the library, the special is cool as hell and fun to use up until you get the star rod (which isn't long after of course)
>>
>>2765047
some of the rewards are blocked based on your progress, you can't get the dracula tunic until you make it to the inverted castle.

I seem to recall that the librarian drops a ring of arcana, axelord armor, mana potion, heart refresh, and dracula tunic

I don't think he drops any heart or life stocks but he might, idk
>>
>>2765125
>>2765086
Interesting thanks! It's amazing that even with how many times I played through that game there's still stuff I missed. Easy as it may be, there's a ton of fun stuff in there.
>>
Here's a C:SotN weapons trick I will take credit for discovering several years ago...

Everybody knows the Muramasa, "The Bloodthirsty Sword" puts you into a permanent state of Dark Metamorphosis and grows stronger each time it gets a splash of enemies blood.
In fact it's the most powerful weapon. At max level deals around 990 to 995HP per swing.

Problem is it becomes more difficult to level up. To the point that you could spends weeks and months killing fishman or octopuses, drinking their blood with very little to show.
HOWEVER, there's a hallway in the Inverce Castle where Medusa Heads will only approach you from from one side and a turbo function controller can do all the work.
Start in the Inverce Clock Hallway and move right, then go up first chance. The hallway will head back to the left. Then in the room where it starts to go up again stand about 1" away from either wall. Instead of alternating sides medusa heads will only approach from one direction. If confused there's a youtub video showing it, search "C:SotN medusa heads" or something.

With turbo on set Alucard to swing away so he absorbs Medusa blood with the Muramasa. Then go about your life as this will literally take days. If playing on the original PS1 you could pop open the disc tray to save wear on the system and disc, the music stops, but the game keeps on going. After a couple days, just close the tray and let the music restart and go save the game.

So dealing 999HP damage is cool, but that just seems a lot of work to go through for what you get? Here's where shit gets real....
What I found was the Muramasa stats do NOT reset when starting a new game. So if you load the save where its been leveled up, then perform a soft reset and start a new game the Muramsa will already be leveled up and dealing 999HP damage per hit as soon as you pick it up. And it can even be located fairly earlier in the first Castle, the Vandal Swords in the Clock Tower drop them occasionally.
>>
Aways I got, somothing like 30 mim traing.
>>
>>2765291
I actually kind of want to try this. Thanks anon!
>>
The luckiest I've ever gotten was one Crissaegrim and then two more Crissaegrim in a row after a while.
>>
>>2759268
>Does it really break the game as much as everyone says?

Yes.

I think that the Crissagrim, together with the Ring Of Varda and item duplicator, straight up should not be in the game. They break a game that's already way too easy for its own good.

I'm fine with the leveling system, but I think the game should have simply not included rare weapon drops from enemies. They completely break the pacing and balance of the game, neither of which are particularly great in the first place.

The weapons you find just laying around are more than a player could ever need. The Alucard Sword, the Alucard Shield, and the poison mist form already make you obscenely powerful.

Goddammit, I love this game, but it just pisses me off how imperfect and unbalanced it is.
>>
>>2766646
I'm now imagining a hack that balances everything on the game and makes it more of a challenge (like, old castlevania hard)
>>
>be me
>farm ghosts in inverted library
>3 hours later crissaegrim drops
>game too easy
>>
>>2766646
To be fair, the duplicator requires shit load of grinding to get, the ring of varda is only available after you've beaten the game once, and the crissaegrim is a very rare drop you get in the inverted castle - already close to the end of the game, when everything is stupid easy.
>>
>>2767230
Did you use the Ring Of Arcana?

If yes, that's abnormal.
>>
>>2767389
Not that guy but it took me at least an hour to farm the crissaegrim with a ring of arcana and alucart gear (but without the +99 cheat).
>>
>>2765291
So glad you discovered this trick that many of us have know for years. Way to rack up the ole' epeen points.
>>
>>2767406
Alucart, rare rings and luck drug doods
>>
>>2766646
It's not like you're forced to use them, they're more like bonuses that you fuck around with.
>>
>>2767464
Yeah, but I'm actually the guy who discovered it and posted about it on gamefaqs years ago. Indulge me anon. I only have so many claims to fame.
>>
The only way to make SotN challenging is playing Alucard naked or speed running.
>>
>>2767579
Ah ok so you wrote about it first so that makes you the person that discovered it, gotcha enjoy your empty life if that's all you got that makes you happy.
>>
>>2767579
I think that's a pretty cool feat, I'm your fan. :^)
>>
>>2759480
>1. you can attack while walking

Wasn't that the case with all weapons in SoTN? One of the reasons I preferred it over the handheld games.
>>
>>2767530
Maybe the fault just lies with me and my OCD, but in a game centered around growing stronger, the knowledge that there exists stronger gear in the game than what I'm currently possessing bothers me. I don't get that content feeling of satisfaction that I get in Metroid for example. The thought that my Alucard Sword is inadequate always lingers in the back of my mind.
>>
>>2768256
>all weapons in SoTN?
no
>>
>>2768210
>>2768245
Ha. I take a little pride, but SotN has so many little secrets its not that rare to have found something really. Actually few months later their was another thread were OP requested everybody post just one single SotN secret that they were aware of. By the end of it there were literally hundreds of secrets and eggs posted, some well known, but others pretty obscure.
>>
Why is there whining about the Crissagrim?

You don't have to use it. You're just (a) faggot(s) without self control!

Besides. Poor man's version is a more fair weapon. The uh..Yasutsuna was it?

Of course, you'll bump into several "Fun" weapons. Osafune comes to mind..
>>
File: 1404616909012.gif (1 MB, 266x268) Image search: [Google]
1404616909012.gif
1 MB, 266x268
>first playthrough on console i get the crissaegrim completely by accident
>second playthrough on emulator, years later, have to grind for about an hour and a half, and it still never drops
>give up, save, and go to sleep for the night
>as soon as i wake up, start the game, kill a schmoo, it drops the fucking sword
There's some kind of dark, voodoo magic involved in SotN's drop rates.
>>
>>2771061
Is there a save editor for SoTN? I want to implement this item but I want it to have very low attack.
>>
oh lord yes it does.
>>
>>2759268
>Crissaegrim

My very first Schmoo dropped one almost as soon as I entered the inverse library. It was actually the reason that I decided to farm the drops of every other enemy in the game. I though, "Holy shit! If this is what some random lame-ass ghost has for grabs, what else might I have missed?"
>>
I'm about to play the Saturn version for the first time now. What am I in for?
>>
>>2771061
>Besides. Poor man's version is a more fair weapon. The uh..Yasutsuna was it?
There's that, but there's also the Vorpal Blade, which is exactly like the Crissaegrim except that you only get on slash per button press, so you either need to mash (which won't give you the same rate of fire), or use a turbo controller (which might actually give you more swings per second, I don't know, I never tried it).

The Crissaegrim is literally the Vorpal Sword with a 'burst' setting.
>>
>>2771962
New areas, new items, but a complete lack of translucency (because the Saturn couldn't render it), so anything which was seethrough will have a dithered transparent effect on it instead (every other pixel is erased so you can see what's behind the graphic)
>>
>>2771962
better hitboxes
>>
>>2768301
>The thought that my Alucard Sword is inadequate

This is a wrong thought though. Just because abilities exist within the game that let you kill anything it can throw at you in seconds, doesn't mean that something less powerful than that is inadequate. Most of the equipment in the game is more than adequate.

You don't always need to bring a bazooka to a knife fight. Sure that can be fun. But it can also be fun to bring brass knuckles and still whoop ass. Or, bring an infinite supply of skeletons to a knife fight. Such is the joy of SotN. Forget about what's optimal, just go for what's fun.
>>
>>2768429
I posted a "trick" about getting easy money in FFVII by leveling All materia and selling them off. It was a retarded trick but I got emails about it for years.

By contrast, I found a sequence breaking trick in the Colosseum in Tomb Raider that lets you skip most of the level. I sent it to several places including TR sites and no one ever responded or cared. Interwebs is weird mang.
>>
>>2772338
Tips & Trick / Cheat sites could be dumb back in the day.
So many places had that fake cheatcode for Starcraft which was supposed to make Zerglings huge (something about 'overlight').

It doesn't matter that it wasn't real or didn't work, you could find it everywhere back in the day.
>>
>>2772338
I posted a trick about how you can one-shot the Dragon in Mega Man 2 with a single crash bomb and all anyone said was "WHAAAAAA YOU CAN'T USE A CRASH BOMB YOU NEED THEM ALL FOR THE BOSS LATER!!!!!!!"
>>
>>2773163

lol and you don't. if you sacrifice a life you can break the walls first. there's also a trick to blow up a wall and a shooter at the same time so you can spare 1 crash bomb - which is useful because there's a trick to 1 shot wily machine phase 2 with a crash bomb (probably the same as your dragon trick, although I prefer quick boomerangs).
>>
>>2773168
I don't even give a shit about how you beat that boss, the implication that you don't gain any more weapon energy between Dragon (boss 1) and the Machine (boss 4) is fucking ridiculous.

Then again, we have mouth breathers on this site who don't even know how to grind for weapon energy in the Wily stages at all, so I guess that's what I get for tossing pearls before swine.
>>
>>2773171

lol yea that is ridiculous. at least my method of saving a crash bomb makes sense because the boss rush is right after the shooters.

the beginning of wily stage 2 throws weapon energy at you with the jumpers. it shouldn't be hard to figure out.
>>
>>2771962

a bad port

just get the PSP version
>>
>>2773192
Well it's not a port since the two versions were developed side by side, but it is the lesser version.
>>
>>2763395
some jackass on the translation team with a tolkein-boner
>>
>>2773207
it is a port.
>>
How could you not get it to drop?

It's not a very rare drop, usually 10 minutes of farming is all it takes.

Anyway, it just attacks so insanely fast that it shreds everything to death before it can respond, you can defeat the final boss in like 5 seconds with it without even moving
>>
>>2773192
The PSP version of maria is completely different, instead of a martial artist type character you get rondo of blood maria, and the spells act differently too, so its not just different regular attacks, maria in general is way more overpowered in the saturn version.

Anyway, yeah, the saturn version technically speaking is pretty janky, can't handle translucents at all, and the new areas in it are pretty bad, if not interesting.
>>
>>2773441
Source? My memory from back in the day was they were developed together.
>>
>>2773472
Igarashi himself mentioned the Saturn SotN as a "disappointing port".
>>
>>2775427
Well I'll take him over Gamefan, so thanks.
>>
>>2775429
I would link you to the Iga's comment itself but I don't knowwhere to find it. It's one of Siliconera's articles by the time Castlevania X Chronicles was being made.
>>
>>2775431
Meh, I'll take your word for it. Like I say my impression came from an issue of Gamefan from almost 20 years ago that I may not have even been remembering right. Or possibly even getting it confused with Skeleton Warriors.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.