[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What game did you beat for the first time recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg (112 KB, 380x384) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg
112 KB, 380x384
Hey I just beat SotN for the first time since I didn't have a PS1 growing up so you know kiss my ass.

What game did you just beat thread.

As an aside what castlevania game should I play next.
>>
>>2735852
No Castlevania will top SotN, so you might as well avoid the rest.
>>
>>2735859

If you like the classic games more, any of them could top SOTN.

If you like the igavanias more, then yeah maybe SOTN might be the best (I wouldn't know because the only one in that style that I played was SOTN, but I prefer pretty much any of the classics over SOTN for sure)

by the way, inb4 this turns into another castlevania shitposting thread
>>
test
>>
>>2735859
Except for the newest or n64 ones I'd easily put sotn towards the bottom. Not saying it isn't excellent because it is. There's just so many other good castlevania games. Namely Dracula x, rondon of blood, bloodlines, any of the gba or ds castlevania.... Sotn is far from the best in a lineage of excellent games.
>>
File: xanadu finished.gif (35 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
xanadu finished.gif
35 KB, 640x400
>>
>>2735859
>dumb boss mechanics
>just sit and press attack
>2nd half rehashed
Well it's the the Castlevania with the highest budget but i prefer Aria of Sorrow.
>>
>>2735852

How many castles did you explore?
>>
>>2735859
Is this bait? Even sticking to the metroidvania style ones, SotN is good but way too easy which really hurts it in the end.
>>
>>2735883

Both of em.
>>
>>2735878

I did notice it was pretty easy once I got geared up- all I had to do was crouch and attack...for pretty much every boss. The first few bosses were quite hard until I got some decent gear, especially the tag team demons and the first doppleganger. But by the time I got about halfway through the upside down castle, nothing could really challenge me, only be annoying. Who the fuck thought Galamoth should have that much health anyway?
>>
SotN was the first castlevania I both played and beat, and I'm still fond of it but it was even for me even then to feel it was easy (I beat it figuring out the shield rod/Alucard shield combo). I find it a pretty laid back experience that I can play at any time, maybe pick it up once a year or so.

Aesthetically at least it has to be one of the highest ranked. All the great graphics and sound design is fantastic, I don't think there's been at least another Castlevania that pulls the same kind of feeling off. But I still wouldn't call other Castlevanias (pre and post SotN) worse or bad aesthetically.

I do think getting other favorites in the series is good for putting SotN into perspective.
>>
File: cv timeline.jpg (356 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
cv timeline.jpg
356 KB, 1280x800
>>2735852
If you want to try the Classicvanias, they're all great. Akumajou Densetsu and Rondo of Blood are the best ones, but CV1, Bloodlines, CV4, CV Adventure Rebirth and CV2 Redacted are all great.

If you really liked the exploration of SotN you should go for the GBA and DS games, which are all terrific and you can't go wrong with any of them.

As for the 3D games, I can only really recommend Legacy of Darkness. I haven't played the PS2 games, so no comment on those. Also, avoid the LoS games.
>>
>>2735852
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.