[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Just about everyone i pass through in my area plays Go >some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: time-pokemon-227x300.jpg (34 KB, 227x300) Image search: [Google]
time-pokemon-227x300.jpg
34 KB, 227x300
>Just about everyone i pass through in my area plays Go
>some religious groups are trying to condemn Go
>people are getting mugged/murdered because of pokemon Go
has pokemania returned again? Ive missed it
>>
Yes, yes it has.

But which sucks worse- the trading cards or the mobile game?
>>
>has pokemania returned?
Not even close. It's literally just an app that is popular. Pokemania was EVERYTHING associated with Pokemon being popular
>>
File: 1420570137597.png (97 KB, 414x469) Image search: [Google]
1420570137597.png
97 KB, 414x469
>>27207019
This. Until we see Pokemon on breakfast cereal or Poptarts again, it's not the same.

Keep in mind that younger children (6-10) will not be on the Go train because you must have a smart phone. Back from '98 to '01, every single kid on the playground had a deck, a game, or a Burger King toy on them. Sometimes all three.
>>
>>27206936
>has pokemania returned again?
No, that's just Ameribibles being retarded.
>>
Well the Alamo Drafthouse near me completely sold out tickets to its showing of the first Pokemon movie today before I could buy one for myself this morning. So I'd argue it kinda has.
>>
>>27207070
>younger children
>not having a smartphone
have you left the house recently
>>
>>27207019
>>27207070
so this is pretty much the beginning? i still remember pokemon being just a game, but it still had toys and a card game was announced around the first movie. anything else was news and hearsay
>>
>>27206936
it definetly returned even in a little city here everyone plays pokemon
>>
When's the next expansion of the Pokemon card game coming out? I can see that getting big again
>>
File: 1418078152446.jpg (29 KB, 499x498) Image search: [Google]
1418078152446.jpg
29 KB, 499x498
>>27207157
It really depends on the next few months I'd say. Will the normals keep playing once more gens come to Go? Will mom and dad buy SM for their kid when before Go they wouldn't? Will we see a spinoff that actually stays alive on the NX? Pokken is a lost cause, Darkrai isn't enough.

I doubt we'll ever get even back to Gen 2 levels of popularity, but Go is still very young.
>>
>pokemon is demonic
demons don't fucking exist you morons
>>
File: 1420151617825.png (657 KB, 900x815) Image search: [Google]
1420151617825.png
657 KB, 900x815
>>27207205
Normals will be confused by EX and Break. They'll buy two packs, give up, and never even touch TCGO.
>>
>>27207219
isnt Go going to be compatible with SM? part of me believes the hype will spike if it is
>>
Generations made the TCG's popularity blowup, and we're getting a set soon that has Base set reprints. I expect those to be stupidly popular aswell.
>>
>>27207244
>>27207219
its called normie
>>
File: Tzeentch.jpg (580 KB, 1740x936) Image search: [Google]
Tzeentch.jpg
580 KB, 1740x936
>>27207239
sure thing, bro
>>
Pokemon Go is closer to flappy bird than the late 90's pokemon phenomena
>>
>>27207268
It's called normalfag
>>
>>27207285
I think you're off on that comparison/Pokemon Go is popular because of the social, active aspect
>>
>>27207268
>>27207296
But Lou Tenant says Normal, and the teat-sucking jackasses on and /r9k/ say normie. I know which one I prefer
>>
>>27206978
I collect the trading cards so probably the trading cards.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 241x403) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 241x403
>>27207070
>>27207019
Nigga, my little cousin got an iPad for his birthday when he was 8. I child having a smartphone isn't that crazy nowadays

Also, working in retail I still see kids flipping their shit over Pokemon cards. We even had a Pokemon section with a whole bunch of memorabilia installed into the pop culture area of the electronics dept. recently. We're just swinging into it, but don't be surprised when Pokemania comes back for an encore. TPCi know what they're doing.
>>
>>27206978
Definitely the trading cards. Just fill your deck with EX shit, you'll probably win most of your games. You don't even have to think because the cards aren't even remotely balanced. Rare cards win. You cannot win against EX cards unless you also have EX cards. Old game was a different time and much more fun. Now the game is nothing but "OMG DO YOU FUCKING SEE HOW FUCKING HOLOGRAPHIC THIS CARD FUCKING IS?! IT HAS THE LETTERS E AND X ON IT HOLY FUCK" bullshit.
>>
>>27206936
That one time when Poliwhirl was, for some reason, the front and center Pokemon?!
>>
>>27207444
>Just fill your deck with EX shit

That's the most efficient way to get your shit kicked in, holy shit.

Weakness still apply. A normal pokemon can fuck up an EX in 2 turns, and you wouldnt have had enough time to get enough energies at that point. Then you're stuck with more shit EX cards (because 99% of them arent viable) that have NOTHING on them. Due to the 2-prize card rule for EXs, it's fucking over before you even know what happened.
>>
File: 1434586641525.png (57 KB, 600x434) Image search: [Google]
1434586641525.png
57 KB, 600x434
>>27207387
It has to be children who all get into it though. If it's a bunch of "hip and trendy" millennials, it'll never reach peak levels.

Children are always so much more engaged by this stuff, and mom and dad are the ones with the money for Christmas and birthdays. It's weird, but it's that sort of magic that kids have, where kids from every walk of life, who have never met, can sit in a circle and throw down their pieces of card stock, without any reluctance or prejudice. That's what Pokemania at its prime was. Where the rich white boy, the brown-ass anchor baby, and the girl with intense aspergers, can all sit under a tree and debate the Hitmons while sharing a box of Froot Loops one kid brought.

That magic is long gone. I really doubt Go can revitalize it, no matter how many Lures I set at the monastery or the Albertosaurus statue. It's gone forever. End of rant.
>>
>>27207509
I think it's Satoshi's favorite.
>>
>>27207554
God you're a loser.
>>
>>27207554
>"hip and trendy" millennials

You do understand that people in their early and mid 20s never STOPPED liking pokemon, right?

I don;t understand why people think otherwise. Like, have you even stepped foot onto a college campus? It's 60% pokemon and 40% MtG
>>
>>27207596
the difference is people who like pokemon based on nostalgia and people who can explain to you why elgyem and beheeyem have such weird names.

i'm a not a real fan of lord of the rings. i have seen the three movies and enjoyed them....but that just makes me a casual fan.
>>
>>27207554
>the rich white boy, the brown-ass anchor baby, and the girl with intense aspergers, can all sit under a tree and debate the Hitmons
ITT: shit that literally never happened in the history of ever, because there's no way in hell anybody would ever hang out with the Asperger kid. NObody wanted to play pokemon with that dumb motherfucker who jammed Kix cereal up his nose. Nobody wanted to play with the kid who just fucking SHRIEKED about Geodude for no fucking reason. Stop acting like Pokemania was some magical harmonious time where all the children of the world held hands and sang songs of togetherness.

Kids are still kids.
>>
>>27207596
Maybe for you they never stopped. Most everyone I knew quit before Crystal, and the few spergs like myself who didn't were ostracized. I'll never really know why.

I was a Junior in HS when BW2 dropped. At that point, people no longer made fun of you for liking Pokemon. They just ignored you. I saw a few turn around and pick up XY, none of them got ORAS.

Go happened, and I see the same fuckups who tried to steal my Meganium Prime running around catching Paras with the same jocks who chortled every time they saw my DS. Not all of us got out scot-free. It's irksome is all.
>>
>>27207664
She didn't have intense Aspergers, at least when medicated. She was just the kind who always wore overalls, would cry when her sandwich was cut horizontal, and was scared shitless of camera flashes. Played a mean Haymaker, that's for sure.

Were you shoving cereal up your nose ANon? Be honest.
>>
>>27207070
>thinking kids don't have phones
Bruh it's 2016. Pretty much all the kids are glued to their phones. I don't personally like it, but that's just how it goes nowadays.
>>
>>27207813
you know who else own phones?
homeless people
im not joking, unless thats common knowledge
>>
>>27207205
There's a 20th anniversary set coming up that supposedly consists of reprints of gen 1 cards. Nobody's entirely sure how updated they're going to be, but they're supposedly using the original artwork at least.
>>
File: XY4_EN_26.png (164 KB, 245x342) Image search: [Google]
XY4_EN_26.png
164 KB, 245x342
>>27207444
>he doesn't know that the metagame has revolved around Joltik on and off for nearly a year
>>
>>27207444
I don't think you played the TCG with anyone who knew how to play when you were a kid. If you did, I assure you that you'd like the current EX shit a lot better than base's Energy Removal wars.
>>
>>27206936

>Poliwhirl in the front

For what purpose
>>
>>27209162
To emphasize that pokemon is mind control with the swirl
>>
>>27206936
Yes
>>
I don't think it will ever return to 1998-99 levels but Pokemon is definitely going to have a big resurgence in popularity. Hell, I'm seeing Pokemon on my local news for the first time in at least 15 years; that has to mean something.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.