[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong, bros?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: 1468679470064.jpg (57 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
1468679470064.jpg
57 KB, 638x479
What went wrong, bros?
>>
They kept making the same game.
>>
People grew up.
>>
They refused to cater to the generation that got them to where they are today.
>>
>>27202013
XY is still the most sold 3DS game to date.
>>
>>27202013
they forgot to add remakes and shit like b2/w2 and platinum (they are main games right?)
>>
>>27202122
I'd buy a 2nd remake of R&B/G&S desu
>>
>>27202013
XY outsold black and white. This is an old chart
>>
File: 672.png (9 KB, 501x153) Image search: [Google]
672.png
9 KB, 501x153
>>
>>27202013
>tired and uninspired rehashes sell less

My god.
>>
File: 1451623521657.jpg (13 KB, 285x177) Image search: [Google]
1451623521657.jpg
13 KB, 285x177
>>27202013
The steady decline can be explained in a number of ways. Other key factors include a lot of social and technological changes. The biggest thing though, is that the first generation was a social phenomenon that was probably the biggest and most financially successful fad of the 1990s. I remember the lines wrapping around the malls for fucking POKEMON CARDS. Cardboard cutouts of creatures from the game we all were playing while standing around.

Compare the amount of entertainment options in 1999 to now. Pokemon Red/Blue didn't have the internet and smartphones to compete with at the time. Nowadays, kids have cheap mobile games, social media, streaming, youtube, emulated games, and so on and so forth.

Furthermore, Computers and TVs weren't as cheap and mass-produced as they are now, and a console system requires that to operate. The Game Boy was a popular and cheap handheld option and served as the first "electronic babysitter" in an era without many other options.

Fun Fact: Pokemon Red/Blue/Green sold AS MANY COPIES of the game as entire SYSTEMS of the N64.
>>
>>27202169
>>27202200
>BW in the chart above clearly past 15 million
There's misinformtion in at least one of these posts.
>>
>>27202271
>I remember the lines wrapping around the malls for fucking POKEMON CARDS. Cardboard cutouts of creatures from the game we all were playing while standing around.
Can you really call that a decline right now? The exact same thing happened at shitty places like Toys R Us for Greninja Amiibos.
>>
>>27202311
Amiibos were hilarious. Fucking flooding Gamestops and the like, causing me a fucking headache. (At least employees were cool and segregated those faggots into their own line).

Whatever happened to those? Probably went the way of the Disney Infinity.
>>
>>27202013
Mobile devices
You guys might hate how Masuda deals with it, but he was right in that people are a lot more overwhelmed with options for entertainment these days.
>>
>>27202342
Disney Infinity is still going on I think. I know I saw Zootopia DI figures I wanted to buy, and that's really recent.

Amiibo just finished because Smash finished getting its main roster out, so Nintendo started doing reprints while waiting for the DLC characters to finish production. So the 80 dollars for little mac bullshit stopped happening because you could actually buy one in a store for 12 dollars again.
>>
>>27202082

That's why they made Pokemon Go ;^)
>>
>>27202384
I had to do a double take the other day when I saw Falco, Fox, and Lucario in multiple copies in a Target.

It took them a while, but they finally did it.
>>
File: 1463698575318.png (1 MB, 1314x1396) Image search: [Google]
1463698575318.png
1 MB, 1314x1396
>Pokemon was already starting to decline when Gen 2 came around
>no one I knew played Gen 3 through elementary school or middle school
>barely anyone in high school played Gen 4
>lot of my friends and other normies jumped on for HG/SS
>few people played Gen 5 due to "le trashbag" memes
>all of my friends got X/Y but all kind of fell out rather quickly

Pokemon was always in decline you fuck.
>>
So Gen III sold better than V and VI? So why do people say Hoenn is the least selling gen?

ORAS also did better than XY.
>>
>>27202465
>>27202200
No.
>>
File: mobile.png (75 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
mobile.png
75 KB, 638x479
rip main series games
you will be mist
>>
>>27202384
Nah, Disney Infinity's officially dead. Devs announced it a while back that everything not already molded is kaput.
For Amiibo, on the other hand, you're spot on for that one, but other than the fact that they're all Nintendo characters I'm not sure what the long term is.
>>
A decline sure, but I don't get why people think this is an actual issue. Plenty of other games would kill to sell even half the fucking copies Pokemon does, and given the technical level the Pokemon games display it's not like they're super expensive AAA productions.

Pokemon prints money.
>>
>>27202384
Infinity is kill.

http://www.disneyinteractive.com/blog/update-disney-infinity/
>>
>>27202565
>>27202624
>Devs announced it a while back that everything not already molded is kaput.
I guess that makes sense that they had things like Zootopia shilling in advance then, like the main roster smash characters.

At least I got Rapunzel.
>>
>>27202538
You don't "buy" GO, you idiot.
That's not sales.
>>
the install base is significantly lower

there's a reason why the series had a jump with the DS release
>>
Here's how many of each console sold in about 5 years.
DS sales reported December 2009: 125.13M
3DS sales as of March of this year: 58.85M
GBA figures are a bit less clear but it sold quite a bit less than the DS IIRC.
If anything it seems like Gen 6 has sold proportionally way more compared to the DS games.
>>
>>27202122
I'd say they are. Here are their sales.
Yellow: 14.6m
Crystal: 6.3m
FRLG: 12m
Emerald: 6.3m
Pt: 7.6m
HGSS: 12.7m
BW2: 8.5m
ORAS: 11.8m

And OP's graph is outdated, XY is currently sitting at ~14.7m sales. I'd say the games are selling at a pretty stable rate. Going by the rest of these, SM should probably sell around 15m copies. Maybe more, maybe less, we'll have to see.
>>
>>27202708
but microtransactions is sales
>>
>>27202013

games itself, believe me or not, but I got bored of the games too I'm not buying them anymore the same people I know, also the battle system and stats system sucks ect. games become much worse... literally
>>
Having to buy a new console for each new game was the biggest thing for me.
I've only played up to Platinum for this reason.

This may be controversial, but they should just stop marketing to kids and market towards us millenials who have grown up with Pokemon their whole lives.

The games are getting way too easy and they are getting away with too much. They should listen to their biggest consumers.

>They should listen to their biggest consumers
>biggest consumers
>biggest

Yes you, manchildren.
>>
>>27202821
>there's a reason why the series had a jump with the DS release
Considering the DS had nearly double the users the GBA did yet DP only sold a million more you can't really call that a "jump".
>>
>>27203876
>This may be controversial, but they should just stop marketing to kids and market towards us millenials who have grown up with Pokemon their whole lives.
And throw out 90% of their audience?
You're kidding right?

Contrary to what that one poll says, which keep in mind doesn't account for every player, the majority of players these days are children as opposed to the older crowd.
Also, listening to your fans is a sure fire way to fuck everything up because
1)You can't pander to all of them
2)Their ideas often break the game horribly, make the game incredibly tedious or alienate a large portion of current players. If you don't believe that check any thread here that has the topic of "improving" the game.
>>
>>27203876
You realize GO is precisely the game you're asking for, right? The rad 90s kid market is easily the biggest one for pokemon.
>>
Look at gen 4. Breaking the trend cuz its a good ass gen FACT
>>
>>27202013
>>
Nintendo
>>
>>27202082
I have no idea where you've been, but GF has been jerking off gen 1 for a while now.
>>
>>27202402
And its their biggest money maker currently.
>>
>>27202708
I have multiple friends who have spent over $50 on it. I've spent 10 myself.
>>
>>27206307
>>27206307
bull...SHIT!
>>
Pokemon gen 1 was a fad that was booming everywhere. No one expected it to become as popular as it did. It was something new and fun. As time went on of course it decreased in popularity, but the games still sell incredibly well.

>inb4 NUH UH THE GAMES R WURSE

Gen 1 had the worst games.

Gen 1 are
>>
>>27206391
shit, comparatively.
>>
The franchise probably isn't gaining/retaining as much of their target demographic as they might've hoped. Most of today's fans come from a different demographic--adults, folks who've grown up with the series and/or were there since the beginning. This demographic tends to voice their concern over the sameness of each iteration and consequently become bored and skip titles or abandon the game altogether.

The idea behind the perceived "sameness" within each subsequent title comes from the fact that GF expects the target demographic (ages 8-13ish?) to have outgrown the game by a certain age, and therefore each new game--however "same-y"--will feel completely fresh and new to a new group of 8-13ish year olds.

I could go on, but I got a girlfriend to bang.
>>
>>27206464
>I could go on, but I got a girlfriend to bang.
kek.
not in a million years
>>
>>27206495
Get off of 4chan, Jenn.
>>
>>27202013
3DS didn't sold well compared to the DS. That's also the case of the GBA.

Globally speaking, people are not playing on handhelds as much as before.
>>
Making the same game again and again
>>
Objectively speaking once you played RBYG, you played them all. Then comes the popularity and fad factors.
>>
They're lucky to even sell that much. They aren't even trying. Like every time a new game comes out, it's the same old shit. I don't expect anything exciting unlike with other franchises. Just go make more phones games.
>>
>>27202013
Personally I gave up on the series once it became a yearly thing and they relased a pokemon that was literally a pair of keys. It became too much of a cash grab and started to hurt my childhood. Really "GO" is the only thing that's brought back the magic for me. If they bring in trading and trainer v trainer battles I'll be 8 years old all over again.
>>
>>27202086
3DS is the worst selling nintendo handheld so it's not saying much.
>>
>>27202013
2 things:

>they stopped banning you on the spot on /v/
>nobody gives a shit about your nintendoomed threads there anyway.

I won't count your retardation, the fact that you're 13 or lack of a hobby/study/job/at least quality shitpost because those are shoe-ins.
>>
>>27202086
Yup. Actually taking into account the amount of consoles sold vs. the amount of games sold, the only impressive numbers there are R/B and X/Y, that bear tremendous 2/5 or even 1/2 ratios.
>>
>>27209052
It's still doing well throug, being the best selling vydia in the market, through handhelds are dying so it'll never reach the DS.
>>
>>27202212
tits or GTFO

>>27202013

You too, shitpost-chan, TITS OR GTFO
>>
>>27202013
I think the change in art style/general designs in gen III did a lot of damage to the perception.

I like a lot of gen III guys now but back then I remember thinking "this looks like digimon"

whether or not I was a dumbfuck for having that opinion back then is kind of irrelevant, what matters is there was a noticeable shift
>>
>>27204486
I think it has more to do with how much people liked the DS
>>
>>27204486
>>27211613
>Diablo 3 had better sales than Diablo 2, it must be the better game!
>>
>>27209052
Is it more pathetic then the GameCube?
>>
ITT: Literal autism

amiibo is still alive and kicking, faggots.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.