[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On the Nature of Pokeballs, Past and Present
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
May we take a moment to discuss how Pokeballs function? Not in a scientific way, but in a physical and aesthetic way. I remember in the anime, the balls used to be smaller when not used and stored in a bag, or on the trainers belt. I have never seen that mentioned in the games. Is that still a thing in the anime? Is it game canon at all?

I miss the physical "hardware" aspect of the series. You need a tent, a bike, MRE's, pokeballs, potions, gotta save space. The first season of the show, and the first game had a real "monster survival" feel to it, if that makes sense. I am not saying I am no longer a fan, I am. I just feel like the grittyness and tangibility of some aspects have been lost over the generations.

What do you think? What are some of your favorite Pokeballs? Ideas for something aside from balls maybe? Like a magazine with cartridges you can clip to your belt? It would be neat to see some variations on capturing and storage and transportation in the future.
>>
File: d75jL9F.png (421 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
d75jL9F.png
421 KB, 1280x720
Babby balls
>>
File: 3-it6ct.jpe.jpg (231 KB, 960x1368) Image search: [Google]
3-it6ct.jpe.jpg
231 KB, 960x1368
I've also never read the manga, but I have run across a number of images where the top of the ball is a clear red and the monster can be seen inside, albeit shrunken. Is this common in the manga?
>>
>What are some of your favorite Pokeballs?

I like the ones with extra utility, like Dusk Balls and Net Balls. Apricorn balls are cool but the number of pokemon each gives you an advantage over is really restricted. As for aesthetics, I confess that I'm more likely to want to match the pokemon to the ball than to have a favorite ball in particular. I recently caught the Articuno in my X file with a Dive ball, which I think looks great with it.

As far as game canon goes, I don't think there's anything to indicate exactly where the pokeballs of the pokemon in your party are stored. I'd assume they're just in your Bag though, probably.
>>
File: Poké_Ball_sketch.png (54 KB, 627x630) Image search: [Google]
Poké_Ball_sketch.png
54 KB, 627x630
Will GameFreak ever allow us to swap the types of balls our mons were caught/breed in with another of our choice? I desperately hope so.
>>
tiny balls best
>>
>>27186665
Alright, don't be petty, just because people aren't that interested in pokeballs.
>>
>>27186612
Yeah, there is even a sceane where one trainer mentions using special balls where you can't see the pokemon inside.
>>
>>27186572
>Is it game canon at all?
The games and the anime exist in two different canons, retard.
>>
The Cherish Ball is incredibly beautiful. Very much worthy of being the go-to event ball.

Also, it's nice to know that Pokeballs are comfortable living spaces for Pokemon according to Masuda.
>>
>>27186780
Fucking pedo.
>>
>>27186665
Don't be a whiny dick, newfag.
>>
>>27186851
No shit. I was asking if it also happened in the game. What are you 12?
>>
i'm glad i saw this thread, i've been meaning to look up what pokeball interiors are like

>>27186865
>Also, it's nice to know that Pokeballs are comfortable living spaces for Pokemon according to Masuda.
i want to know more
>>
>>27186865
But are they shrunk down? It seems like they are reduced to a form of red energy. As if they are atomically deconstructed, then reconstructed. (Like a transporter in Star Trek)
>>
>>27186883
No, you asked "are the games canon at all", dummy. If you meant something else, you should have asked that instead.
>>
I wish pokeballs had in-battle effects to add more layers to battling.
>>
File: 1465521142866.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1465521142866.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>27186572
>>
>>27186905
>Masuda: It sure would be interesting if Pokéballs existed in real life, and we haven’t imagined that. But, in terms of what’s inside of the Pokéball, it’s a space that’s incredibly comfortable for Pokémon. So comfortable, that they want to enter the Pokéball without any sort of outside encouragement. What’s actually in there is something we would like for people to sort of imagine on their own.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/11/23/2389986.aspx?PostPageIndex=1
>>
>>27186934
I specifically said:
>Is it game canon at all?

As in: Is the aspect of the Pokeball shrinking canon in the games?

Why are you trying to argue about this?
>>
Safari Balls.
Gotta use charisma and leave it up to chance.
>>
>>27186967
How?

How does this post indicate I am an underage child with nothing to do. For all you know, I could be a 30 year old Private Investigator on surveillance with nothing to do right now sitting in my vehicle. ;^)
>>
File: 1454276734386.png (57 KB, 548x546) Image search: [Google]
1454276734386.png
57 KB, 548x546
>>I just feel like the grittyness and tangibility of some aspects have been lost over the generation

Pokemon has literally never had grittyness, you're never in danger in the wild because you're constantly passing through gates with cops/route guards on them in the games, and in the anime the only time nature was ever a problem to anyone was when they get lost and piss off some random Pokemon.
The closest thing to grit is MAYBE in the PMD games where the main characters end up stranded for one reason or another, but that's clearly not what you're babbling about.

I want GO posters to fucking leave.
>>
>>27187027
This. It was intended to be kid friendly to the max from the very beginning.

You just grew up and became edgy OP.
>>
>>27186934
You are fucking stupid
>>
>>27187027
The Manga is pretty gritty. Pokemon are literally cut in half, three of the Gym Leaders are running an elaborate Pokemon smuggling operation, and the Elite Four is going to genocide the world worse than Lysandre in XY.

Yeah, remember that part in XY? Where Lysandre was literally going to kill the entire world with a Legendary Pokemon? That's pretty dangerous.
>>
>>27187027
This. Pokemon was never gritty.
Trainers are going through the equivalent of a national park filled with rangers. They're never in any danger. This is why they let 10 year olds run off on adventures.

That, and black people are borderline extinct in the pokemon world.
>>
I think SM kinda shows smaller pxokeballs at some points? IDK they just look smaller than average and I think Hau sort of clicks his in his battle intro, so it could be something they never touched on before game wise, but with more realistic proportions they can pull it off. I think see through pokeballs are game canon too, just to help know who's who, it just isn't really touched on.
>>
>>27187097
The manga is literally shit that tries to attract an audience by being edgy. Abysmal story, no tension, stupid fucking dexholders. I read that shit until Deus Ex Celebi, then I just stopped.

Fuck, why can't there be a good Pokemon manga?
>>
>>27187097
Pokemon Special is pretty good, but even then that has nothing to do with what OP is taking about, honestly rereading his post annoys the hell out of me.
>>
>>27187027
>>27187041
>>27187111

>Team Aqua tried to flood the earth. Team Magma tried to dry up the earth.
>Team Galactic tried to rewrite the universe and turn back time.
>Team Flare tried to commit eco-genocide in order to have a Greenpeace future.

NOPE NOTHING GRITTY. 100% SAFE. TEAMS OF PEACE. RADICAL TRAINERS AREN'T THE PROBLEM.
>>
>>27186934
You're fucking illiterate
>>
>>27187223
>incompetent saturday morning cartoon villains try to enact awful plans with no foresight
oooohh, very gritty. Mojo Jojo confirmed for a modern day Judge Holden
>>
>>27186976
aw thanks love that's great
>>
>>27187223
That doesn't make them gritty, it makes the laughable.
>>
>>27187257
>compentent-enough-to-execute criminal organizations get minutes away from enacting awful plans until they're defeated by the trainer who then goes on to become the Pokemon League Champion, recognized as the best trainer in the country.

Nice oversimplification. ftfy.
>>
>>27187223
Power rangers and fucking MLP villains try to destroy the world too, doesn't mean they're gritty
>>
Welp. Not sure why everyone in here is a try hard edgy dick, OP. Guess it's still summer. :^)

To answer your question, though: I hate that I love them, but Luxury Balls are my favorite, followed by the good old fashioned great ball. Some sort of spring loaded mechanism for Pokéball storage could be cool. Either that you shoot directly at the Pokémon, or that shoots it up a couple feet, and you catch it out of the air.

Seriously though, kids. Being an edgy dick doesn't prove you're not a newfriend. It just makes you an edgy dick. Learn how to not be an asshole to people for no reason, and you'll learn how to be an adult. Save your bitching for someone who deserves it, like Go posters and retards.
>>
>>27187027
I see your point. It's hard to express what aspect I feel has been lost. Maybe it's the tangibility and "realism"? I'm not sure. I think a lot of it was that the Pokemon tech in the first game had a sort of early 90's analogue feel, coupled with the sort of thing like Misty owning a bike, them camping, etc. It made me feel like it they were actually adventuring in the wilderness, and had to survive a bit. I admit I have not watched the anime in a long time, save for a few of the first episodes of XY, but it seems to be all about collecting and battling now. Which is sort of the point, I know. Am I making any sense?
>>
>>27187223
I want to make it clear that this is not the OP.

>>27187209
Why is it annoying?
>>
>>27187364
They camp plenty, but they also use the pokemon centers as hospices
>>
>>27187364
Personally, I get what you mean. There was more of a camping/survival feel in Kanto and Johto than anywhere else, in the anime. Now it's more town to town, and catching Pokémon then actually having to find a place to set up camp, get food, worry about randomly getting attacked, etc.
>>
>>27187446
Ah. I can't wait for the games to get possibly BIGGER in the future and when you save and log back on in the wilderness, you come out of a tent and stretch, then it collapses into your backpack and your off! Maybe a flashlight for caves and night time. Maybe drinking water/eating to keep sprinting/biking. etc. Nothing over the top or overly annoying, but a larger world to explore and some elements that make you feel like you are an actual person out in the bush.

Give me Survival Aesthetics Masuda!
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.