[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are ORAS as bad as people say they are? I've heard people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11
File: pokemon-oras-cover[1].png (2 MB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-oras-cover[1].png
2 MB, 1600x1000
Are ORAS as bad as people say they are?

I've heard people say that they're WORSE than R/S/E, I've heard people saying they're just generally shit.

But Gen 3 is my favorite, and I have the most nostalgia for it.

Should I pick up OR/AS or should I just emulate Emerald if I want to play again?
>>
>>27183522
It's not that bad.

It's not a perfect remake, but as someone who never played R/S/E I thoroughly enjoyed both.
>>
>>27183522
Fellow Hoennbaby here, Gen 3 best gen, all that jazz.
I disagree that ORAS is shit, I found it just as enjoyable as ever. Then again, I also like gen 6. So I'd say go for the buy.
>>
ORAS isn't complete garbage, but it's extremely casualized. If you want pokemon from other gens, the pretty 3D things and all, pick ORAS.
>>
>>27183522
>autism about previous thread is pointed out

>Immediatedly makes new one about orashate pastas to save face

Kek, I love getting you triggered.
>>
>>27183580

You should wait till OP actually starts his shitposts/copypastas again, so it can claim it's all its different hot opinions that aren't being accepted, or that everyone is an evil autist
>>
>>27183580
I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Are you sure you aren't the one with autism?

>there's only two posters on this board! Me, and someone else!
>>
>>27183522
R/S/E is literally unplayable after playing ORAS, people who complain are just nitpicking and either say
>muh battlefrontier
>muh kid's game is 2 ez
>>
>>27183522
ORAS are absolutely worse than Emerald. It ignores almost everything from Emerald, no matter how big the improvement (i.e. ORAS uses the RS model of double battles, when Emerald completely recoded how double battles worked and all games from DP onward used said system because it was objectively better.

Comparing it to Ruby and Sapphire, though, they're about equal. I would edge RS as being slightly above ORAS but that's because I really like the Safari Zone and Gen 3's seamless engine.

Overall, just play Emerald.
>>
They're fine.

If you're looking for Gen 3 nostalgia, I'd absolutely pick the older ones. If you're looking for an objectively better game, you'd pick ORAS.
>>
It's inferior to Emerald, but better than Ruby and Sapphire.
If you like gen 3, go for it. It's got some nostalgia-inducing tunes.
>>
>>27183854
>>27186032
(You)
>>
ORAS is by far better. People only hate it because "muh battle frontier"
>>
>>27183522
Not bad. Just easy, honestly.
>>
File: 1465728040161.jpg (44 KB, 443x263) Image search: [Google]
1465728040161.jpg
44 KB, 443x263
>>27186067
Defend going back to the RS double battle system instead of using Emerald's.
>>
>>27183522
I'd just get a rom of Emerald then put the physical/special split in desu
>>
>>27186066
What did he mean by this
>>
>>27186066

I mean, I'm not wrong. ORAS is objectively a better GAME. Emerald is probably a better experience, especially considering OP has nostalgia for Gen 3.
>>
>>27186097
>then put the physical/special split in desu
the what
>>
>>27186091
Sure, it made no significant impact on the quality game. I honestly didn't even realize it until recently, that's how insignificant that change was.
>>
File: 1416107788557.gif (524 KB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
1416107788557.gif
524 KB, 320x239
>>27186116
>ORAS is objectively a better GAME. Emerald is probably a better experience

What's even the difference between these two titles?
>>
>>27186128

Tetris is probably the objectively best game ever made.

The Last of Us is a much better experience than Tetris.

Get the difference?
>>
>>27186128
The rationalisation of an ORAShitter.
>>
>>27186147
I don't even like ORAS.

I sold it a week after release. I only bought it back this year because I wanted easy shiny hunting.

There is a difference between an experience and gameplay. >>27186142
>>
>>27186126
Sounds like you just didn't play Emerald growing up. I had Sapphire and Emerald, and even as a kid I noticed how trainers could team up against you compared to Sapphire.

>>27186142
>Get the difference?

No, because you didn't explain things, you just stated two things one of which is untrue because I was bored by The Last of Us out of context.
>>
>>27186142
>The Last of Us
No, I don't get the difference.
>>
>>27186123
Moves were physical or special depending on their type until gen 4, so for example Dragon Claw did damage based on Special Attack. In gen 4 and after, they started flagging individual moves as either physical or special. Honestly it's odd they didn't do that in gen 3, because certain moves like Bite were flagged as making contact with the enemy despite being Special.
>>
It's better than XY.
>>
>>27186123
Prior to gen 4, the Type of a move determined whether it was physical (based on Attack) or special (based on Special Attack), for example, all Fire moves were special (even ones like Fire Punch), and all Normal moves were physical (even ones like Hyper Beam)
>>
>>27186182
That's not exactly an achievement, but it's still true. ORAS are good as long as you set your expectations low for post-game and side content. The main game is all there is.
>>
>>27186198
Well, I never said XY were good. This game is fucking awful.
>>
>>27186162
Emerald was actually my first 3rd gen game senpai
I just don't think that having "double battle trainers" instead of 2 different trainers makes a game significantly worse.
>>
>>27186097
Is there a patch for this?
>>
>>27186162
>I was bored by The Last of Us

So you're telling me you DID get my examples?

>>27186170

How good a game is is how its technical aspects come together to create a mechanically-functioning piece of software that one can challenge and complete and receive an emotional response from completing said challenge.

An experience (in the context of video gaming) is a more general emotional response to a piece of work, and is created through a collaboration of the games visuals, music, story, atmosphere, etc.

Emerald is fantastic when it comes to its experience, but the mechanics of 3 generations of evolution make ORAS better as a game.

I'd still pick Emerald if its just the nostalgia OP wants. ORAS will give him nothing.
>>
>>27183522
>But Gen 3 is my favorite
why?
>>
>>27183522
It adds nothing worthwhile compared to emerald.

If you really feel like replaying through gen 3 i guess you would enjoy it, but even so you can make an argument for emerald instead.
>>
>>27186272
the pokemon are awesome in my opinion
i love their designs
the hideouts were ultra comfy
the legendaries were fun
>>
>>27186237
It does when you're limited to only having two Pokémon each. You could easily hit 4, sometimes five Pokémon total in a random double battle against two trainers (I can't remember any instances where you can hit six but they might be there)

>>27186252
>So you're telling me you DID get my examples?

No, no I didn't! I wasn't bored by Emerald, I found it to be much better, but I didn't like The Last of Us at all!

>How good a game is is how its technical aspects come together to create a mechanically-functioning piece of software that one can challenge and complete and receive an emotional response from completing said challenge.

By that logic The Order 1886 is the greatest game ever due to how much technical work was put into its graphics. If being a "good game" is just being mechanically functional why would anyone care about whether something is a "good game?"
>>
ORAS are objectively superior to RS, that's pretty much undisputable. Emerald did have features that really should have been implemented in the remake (battle frontier, more double battles, improved gym leader teams, gym leader rematches, etc.) but the series in general has also gained a lot of improvements over time that Emerald lacks by simply being an older game.
>>
>>27186697
>The Order 1886 is the greatest game ever due to how much technical work was put into its graphics

That's not what I said at all.

Something like Pac-Man or Tetris are not very graphically beautiful or detailed, but they're fun to play and offer a challenge for people to complete. After completing that challenge (or failing) a game generally elicits a corresponding emotional response.

Something like The Last of Us (which you said bored you--don't worry, it bored me too) is focused much less on offering a challenge (though that challenge still exists, as conflict drives the experience) and more on eliciting a constant emotional state in the player, through a combination of its mechanics, graphics, music, atmosphere, writing, etc.

I have not played The Order 1886, but from what I understand, it is flawed both in its mechanics and its experience, and is thus flawed.

Emerald is mechanically inferior when compared to ORAS. ORAS is a much smoother game with a stronger and more developed battle system (a given, considering we've had over 13 years of building on the one that was used in Emerald). ORAS has a much more free range of play and more meaningful gameplay content (for example--I used ORAS to get a living dex, something that would be more or less impossible, or at the very least, extremely difficult, in Emerald).

But Emerald, combined with OP's nostalgia for his previous playthroughs, provides a much stronger experience. It may not be the better GAME, in terms of its mechanics or ability to play with others around the world. It may not be the smoothest game. It may lack a lot of features from 3 generations in the future, but the music, atmosphere of it has a stronger pull, especially for someone who already loves it.

I've played both and ORAS felt a bit dead, even compared to RSE, which I didn't like as well.
>>
>>27183522
Pick up ORAS as it's the most recent main game title and you probably want to start making Pokemon you feel attached to and want to transfer to Sun/Moon later. You can emulate Emerald absolutely anytime.

Oh yeah, and if you get it now, you can pick up free legendaries from the #Pokemon20 promotion going on.
>>
I really dislike Gen III. I skipped over it when it came out since I quit playing during Gold and didn't start again until Diamond was already out. After playing Diamond, it seemed especially bad (except for the surfing speed--literally the one thing about it better than Gen IV).

That being said, I really enjoyed playing ORAS. It made up for how bad Gen III was. If you missed Gen III, too, you probably won't hate ORAS. Nostalgia is playing a big factor for the people who do.
>>
>>27186363
>you will never have the feel of getting the regis for the first time again
When will they do a legendary quest as good as the Regi's one?
>>
File: Gym Leaders and Elite Four.png (1 MB, 3308x1566) Image search: [Google]
Gym Leaders and Elite Four.png
1 MB, 3308x1566
>>27186890
>Something like The Last of Us is focused much less on offering a challenge and more on eliciting a constant emotional state in the player, through a combination of its mechanics, graphics, music, atmosphere, writing, etc.

But if it fails, what good is that?

As to ORAS, the battle system is better, but the battles themselves, regarding in-game teams and such, are not. Just compare the teams from RS/ORAS to Emerald, the latter is noticeably better, especially Tate & Liza due to the double battle system changes that were fucking undone for some reason in ORAS as I mentioned earlier in the thread. Battling random trainers in the overworld is more interesting in Emerald for that reason too.

There are also locations in Emerald (and RS) that are objectively better than in ORAS due to ORAS cutting the size of said locations down. New Mauville is fucking nothing in ORAS, same with Granite Cave (which does have an optional side area but you're barred from going there unless you play far enough to get the Mach Bike then backtrack), and Mt. Pyre's interior went from a six-floor tower with pitfall traps to spice up getting from point A to point B to a four-floor tower with no pitfalls, and no trainers on the top floor either.

The in-game engine used for ORAS is much clunkier and less optimized than in Emerald, as well. RSE has almost zero route gates, while you usually can't go more than two routes without crossing one in ORAS. This negatively impacts travelling because of the spike in loading zones.

(1/2)
>>
>>27186182
>>27186198
Nice delusions.
>>
File: forced mauville warp.png (915 KB, 572x1295) Image search: [Google]
forced mauville warp.png
915 KB, 572x1295
>>27186890
>>27187341
(2/2)

The game also changes the plot in negative ways due to its handholding. The plot as a whole is probably the only thing ORAS does above Emerald besides graphics, but some of its handholding additions kill exploration.

After you beat Norman in RSE, you immediately get Surf. This opens up more areas in the game than anything else. After getting Surf, you can:

>go north from Rustboro to see the upper area of Route 115
>visit New Mauville (which isn't an option in ORAS, New Mauville is locked away until you beat Groudon/Kyogre for some reason, even though there's nothing to do there anyway)
>go through Route 105, 106, 107, and 108, battling trainers and grabbing items
>visit the Abandoned Ship/Sea Mauville (though not everything is available in either until you get Dive)
>grab miscellaneous items blocked by water, including several items in Petalburg

And if you don't want to do any of that, there's a quick and easy shortcut from Petalburg to Mauville that you can reach by crossing Route 103's water.

In ORAS, however, they feel the need to literally teleport you to Route 118 without any choice in the matter. If you want to do anything I just listed you have to fucking backtrack to Petalburg or wherever the location you want to go is and then do those things, because Ohmori thought crossing a small body of water to quickly get back to Mauville was too strenuous for the mobile generation.

Even if it was optional this is still a shitty design choice to give you a prompt to just teleport there, because you can easily miss out on all the optional areas despite Hoenn being made with multiple water-based paths to Mauville in mind. It's like Ohmori doesn't understand the flow of the map.

I could go on but I won't because I'm already getting tired of writing this. ORAS does have the benefit of Gen IV's and V's building blocks, but that doesn't mean shit if you fuck up tons of things about the original in the process of making the game.
>>
It was just RS with gen 6 gameplay
>>
>>27187341
>>27187351

First, The Last of Us was just an example that I thought would be obvious. There are countless other games where "experience" is the clear focus and "game" is secondary.

Those are all great points.

Which is why I said to pick Emerald in the first place.
>>
>>27183522

It's not a better game than Emerald was, even with nostalgia aside, that's really all you need to know. Other than the new pokemon, it's a simpler gen 3 with 3D graphics, so in that sense it at least looks a hell of a lot better than X&Y.
>>
>>27187403
>Which is why I said to pick Emerald in the first place.

Oh, maybe I got confused on who I was arguing with. I apologize for unleashing a wall of text on you then, anon.
>>
ORAS was more disapointing than bad, people were expecting something like HGSS where they take all the old elements and combine them with all the new elements but instead just got Ruby and Saphire remakes with megas and some levels fucked about here and there, also the Delta episode was basicly a visual novel, like one or two fights and a couple of free legendaries
>>
>>27187685
>also the Delta episode was basicly a visual novel, like one or two fights and a couple of free legendaries

A fucking terrible visual novel, because at least those have a story that makes you want to keep playing.
>>
>>27183591
Actually that's wrong. There are three posters.
>Me
>That asshole who is always wrong
>That other guy who backs me up occasionally
>>
>>27187685
>with megas

Megas that you can't even bring into X/Y, mind you.

It's 2016, Game Freak. Patching in new content is totally acceptable. If you're going to release a set of games that have more content within the same generation, port that shit back to the previous games.
>>
>>27187341
>2 gym leaders with 2 pokemon
>all the rest with 3 pokemon
This meme needs to fucking die.
All gym leaders should have a minimum of 4 pokemon. They should have 6 honestly. The only fights that are ever satisfying are ones with 4+ pokemon. Anything less than that is just annoying because half of the fight is spamming A to skip the intro and outro.
>>
>>27187830

The whole segmented lore climb was so fucking stupid. Especially when edgy, weird girl is doing it.

Her character would have been salvageable via her battle theme if she didnt do that autistic "animalistic" animation as she throws her beginning pokemon.
>>
>>27188007
I hate the low amount of Pokémon in recent games, but not all Gym Leaders should have six, I hate ROMhacks that do that, the first 1-2 Gym Leaders become the hardest fights in the game by a huge margin and it screws up the difficulty curve.

Emerald's curve should be the bassline. Early Gym Leaders have three Pokémon, Wattson and beyond have four or more, you end up hitting five by Winona. Maybe you could give the eighth Gym leader six, but at least the first half of Emerald should be adhered to.
>>
>>27183522
It's not really garbage, it's just a mediocre remake in terms of content. A lot of people were disappointed in it
>>
>>27188249
The curve is easily fixed by just having the gym leaders show up a little bit later. If you can get at least 3 decent pokemon on your team before your first gym, then the first leader having 4 pokemon isn't that big of an issue.
The second leader can get 5, and then after that they should all have 6. If you can't handle a 6 man team by the third gym, there's something seriously wrong with your team.
>>
It's better then RS but worse then Emerald. Morimoto should have directed it. I'm surprised he hasn't directed since.
>>
File: trainers.png (1 MB, 3308x1566) Image search: [Google]
trainers.png
1 MB, 3308x1566
>>27187341
Let me fix that picture.
>>
>>27188651
>pentagon cryptologists.png
What the actual fuck are you doing?
What is the point of the red boxes?
>>
>>27188697
It's written on it. "No". It's on shitmons or shitclones. Lance's Dragonites don't have it because they're goddamn Dragonites.
>>
>>27183522
It's not bad by any means, but it lost the non-linear gameplay and challenge. Other then that though, it's okay.
>>
>>27188307
>The curve is easily fixed by just having the gym leaders show up a little bit later.

If you're making a new region from scratch, sure, I'm mostly used to difficulty hacks that shove six-man teams on early Gym Leaders in otherwise vanilla games.

>If you can't handle a 6 man team by the third gym, there's something seriously wrong with your team.

Well I mean I know you can make a team for pretty much anything even early in the game, but I'm picky and I like using the same team throughout a playthrough. Sometimes half the Pokémon I want aren't available until later in the game, like my first ORAS playthrough only had a team of three until after I beat Wattson, because I wanted Cacturne, Flygon, and Camerupt on my team (even though I already had Swampert, so I ended up having three Ground-types).

>>27188697
He's a Gen VI apologist, defending his shitty, piss-easy games with "these Pokémon aren't OU so they don't count, every game is as easy as XY!" Ignore him, he's posted that image before.
>>
>>27188727
>It's on shitmons or shitclones
But it's clearly not because the Hoenn E4 exists, Elesa exists, Morty exists, Tate and Liza exists, basically everyone exists.
If you cut out every shitmon and shitclone from gym and E4 teams, you end up with Whitney's Miltank, Karen's Umbreon, Brawly's Makuhita, Cynthia and Lenora's Watchog, the end.
>>
>>27186123
Before Gen 4, move were based of the type it was, not the move. It would be normal for a tackle to be a physical attack, but since normal was considered as a physical type, moves like HYPER BEAM, was considered PHYSICAL.
>>
>>27188792
>Sometimes half the Pokémon I want aren't available until later in the game,
I know that feel. I totally hate that shit. It feels like every cool Pokemon is locked behind the 6th or 7th gym.
Even still, a smaller team like that means more EXP distributed among less Pokemon, so you'll have a quality over quantity advantage against gyms anyway.
Personally I feel like the most rewarding team size is 4, which is lucky since that leaves room for two HM slaves(which shouldn't even exist in the first place, but whatever that's a different discussion).
>>
>>27183522

Nice dubs

If you played rs, oras is shit

If you didnt its average
>>
>>27186128
ORAS has better mechanics from the newer games like the physical/special split, and has more Pokemon than RSE.
>>
File: Sharpedo.png (270 KB, 812x325) Image search: [Google]
Sharpedo.png
270 KB, 812x325
>>27186123
>>27188831
>Sharpedo
>Water/Dark type pokemon
>Stat spread is pure speed and physical attack, physical glass cannon shark of death
>All water moves use special attack
>All dark moves use special attack
>Doesn't even matter anyway since Sharpedo doesn't learn any water moves or dark moves
Seriously like every single Hoennmon was handcrafted around the physical/special split. There are like two of them total who have an attacking stat that matches their STAB's attacking stat. I feel like the split was planned for gen 3, and then postponed for some reason.
>>
It's better than Ruby and Sapphire but that's it. It added none of Emeralds improvements from those games. HG/SS set the bar high.
>>
>>27188792
>He's a Gen VI apologist, defending his shitty, piss-easy games with "these Pokémon aren't OU so they don't count, every game is as easy as XY!" Ignore him, he's posted that image before
Spewing buzzwords doesn't stop you being the one defending an Elite Four with two fucking tutorial level Pokemon and swapping a 670 BST one-shotting beast for shitty Spinda and Linoone.

>Gen VI apologist
>Gen VI games are also squared in the picture
Like, fuck off.

>>27188817
There's a difference between shitmons and shitclones and others of the same "paste". There's a time and place for everything. Flannery isn't a strong gym leader, and she's only the fourth, so having a Slugma isn't a problem nor strange. On the other hand, look at Wallace/Juan. Gym 8. Why a shitty Luvdisc?They aren't amazing, but why not Huntail or the appropriately beautiful Gorebyss instead?

Aaron's Vespiquen? Vespiquen isn't strong but it can still cause problems at the player. Now look at RB Blaine. He has 4 Pokemon and 3 in Yellow. BUT YELLOW IS HARDER. Why? Because giving unevolved, weak Pokemon to the second to last gym leader in the game is pathetic. Why not Magmar or Charizard, or Ninetales itself?
Hell, just look at some of the fixes Platinum did to DP. Explains what i mean perfectly.
>>
>>27189081
"Gen VI apologist" isn't a buzzword when you're apologizing for Gen VI. XY and ORAS each have literally one "No" Pokémon according to you, how is that not trying to make Gen VI look good?
>>
>>27189295
So because you're too dumb to understand when people talk it means i'm also a gen V apologist since those games have zero squares(BW2 does but only in challenge mode)?

And ORAS has the same fucking Pokemon as RS, if i squared one it means the original was even worse.

Notice how since fourth gen starts the number of squares lowers? There's a reason for that.
Use your damn brain.
>>
>>27189393
Well you're defending the "nobody's ever allowed to have a decent number of Pokémon" train in general. I like Gen V but that as one of the worst parts of BW1, and now you're attacking BW2's challenge mode for fixing that problem.

RS has four squares covered, ORAS only has one.
>>
File: reuniclus.gif (294 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
reuniclus.gif
294 KB, 500x389
>>27189430
>Well you're defending the "nobody's ever allowed to have a decent number of Pokémon" train in general
Uh..no? I don't know where you're getting this. I'm defending trainers having appropriate Pokemon for the appropriate part of the game. Look at Bugsy. Ledian and Ariados are super shit Pokemon. Yet they're perfect for a second gym leader. What does the game do instead? Kakuna and Metapod. In no way is a lv50 Abra threathening when i have to face a goddamn Alakazam after it.

>and now you're attacking BW2's challenge mode for fixing that problem.
Fixing the problem? Fixing? Giving gym leaders pathetic exp fodder is FIXING?
In 2 gens Onix has been a gym leader 1's Pokemon for a reason. Ignore the huge defense and attack the special. Lesson learned.
There's no reason for the fifth gym leader to have such a weak Pokemon added when stuff like Stunfisk or Golurk exist. Stunfisk also goes for Elesa....why a weak Pokemon such as Joltik? Considering Ghetsis, having an underleveled Eelektrik would have been cool for her.

Malva has no place having a Torkoal so late in the game when the region's dex has Charizard and fucking Houndoom. Aaron, one of the best 5 trainers of his region....has Beautifly and Dustox. Platinum knows that is fucking retarded and gives him Yanmega and Scizor.

>RS has four squares covered, ORAS only has one.
....because ORAS replaces a second Slugma with a Fire/Ground Pokemon,an unevolved Sealeo to the fully evolved Glalie and the unevolved Shelgon with the fully evolved Altaria. Come on.

If gen IV, V and VI have less squares than the others it's because they have less shit Pokemon at unappropriate times and less, useless shit clones.

By the way apparently i didn't even notice Erika's Yellow team when doing the picture. Also Mantine is squared because i just dislike it. There are like 45 water mons in BW2's dex and you don't go and pick Starmie, or Gyarados, or Lapras, or Vaporeon for the last gym leader. You give him a stupid Mantine.
>>
>>27189979
>If gen IV, V and VI have less squares than the others it's because they have less shit Pokemon

They have less Pokémon in general!

Fighting three good Pokémon and one laughable Pokémon is better than fighting just three good Pokémon. And it's certainly better than only fighting two good Pokémon.
>>
>>27183522
only one way to find out. i just picked up omega ruby. i have no nostalgia for these games so i dont really have a bias. im hoping its good.
>>
Help me understand the change emerald made to double battles. I'm too stupid to know what you are even arguing about.

I skipped gen 3 originally and played emerald later down the line. I picked up oras but was bored because it's the same fucking game. Looked like a great way for people who skipped gen 3 to play it.
>>
>>27186142
Games are different than movies?
Well, no shit.
>>
>>27190221
In Pokemon Emerald, double battles are a lot more interesting because they are activated when you come in contact with two trainers at the same time. In ORAS and Ruby/Sapphire, double battles only occur when there are specifically a group of two people. These battles never have more than 2 pokemon, unlike in Emerald where there are unique combinations. Tate and Liza only have 2 Pokemon in ORAS because of this unlike Emerald.
>>
>>27183522
ORAS will hurt you more if you liked RSE, they're by far the worst pokemon games and you should seriously avoid them.
>>
>>27183522
They are better than RS, but debatable on whether or not they are better than E. ORAS cuts things from RS without replacing them, but this is generally outweighed by the additional content.

The massive amount of content that Emerald added was simply thrown out, and it is difficult to decide whether or not the crumbs ORAS scatters around make up for this or not. It isn't just the Battle Frontier, entire dungeons, facilities, and other various improvements were discarded as well.

In addition, Sootopolis and Rayquaza's retcons were fucking retarded, and Wallace hit fag factor 5.

One thing is for absolute certain, though. It is very hard to go back to Gen 3 mechanics.
>>
the original games look better than them.

just because something is 3d doesn't mean everything needs to be uniform and not stylized in any way.
>>
>>27191131
>One thing is for absolute certain, though. It is very hard to go back to Gen 3 mechanics.
I tried to play Firered some days ago because I found my old cartridge. I couldn't play for more than 30 minutes because of that. I don't know how to play anymore without the physical/special split.
>>
>>27191182
Really? Honestly I didn't really mind it in Emerald, and I had just played BW2 last year.
>>
File: spontaneous double battle.png (7 KB, 240x176) Image search: [Google]
spontaneous double battle.png
7 KB, 240x176
>>27190221
In double battles in RS, you can only enter one if it's scripted to be a double battle (i.e. a pair of twins or a young couple), and all double battles are limited to two Pokémon.

Emerald greatly expands in-game double battles by allowing two otherwise individual trainers to battle you at once if you run into them at the same time (and if you want to avoid a double battle you can sometimes do so by triggering one trainer without the other to get two single battles), and removing that limit.

Do you want to know something else about Emerald that ORAS fucked up? Emerald has a story point where Team Magma takes over Mossdeep Space Center, and you get in a multi battle against them with Steven helping you. ORAS tries to imitate this in Delta Episode but the team you fight against is nerfed so fucking hard it's laughable.

In Emerald Maxie and Tabitha combined make a full team of six, while Steven only brings three Pokémon. If you have a full team of six yourself, it's a 6v9 in your favor, not exactly equal but close since they can't give the enemy more than six total Pokémon.

In ORAS, where this is later in the game and should logically be harder, Courtney/Matt and their Magma/Aqua grunt only bring a combined total of three Pokémon, while Steven brings his whole team, making it a 3v12 if you have a full team. And this is meant to be a postgame battle, while Emerald's only happens after seven badges before you go to Seafloor Cavern.
>>
File: orasproblems.png (228 KB, 893x1200) Image search: [Google]
orasproblems.png
228 KB, 893x1200
>
>>
>>27192820
Forgot to change pic to said Mossdeep battle.
>>
Am a hoennbaby, can confirm these were trash remakes. Super bare bones and handy holdy. Dont do it op
>>
>>27187403
Maybe you should've picked The Walking Dead game, that shit gives a hell of an experience
>>
Its too easy. I cut off my exp share at the beginning and started training 6 pokemon before the second gym so as to keep my levels as low as possible and it was still too easy. I can only imagine how mindless the game is when you actually have on the exp share.
>>
>>27183522
Blew through in less than a week. No exp share. Not as easy as XY, but close. Don't bother with gen 6. just play Emerald.
>>
I really enjoyed it. Ruby/Sapphire was my favourite generation of games, and I really liked the remake. It's too bad this whole board seems to hate it
>>
>>27183522
generation 3 is your favorite, but you still haven't played ORAS? I find this hard to believe
>>
>>27183580
>Anonymous
>save face
>>
>>27186123
Just to add to what's already been said...

Physical moves - Moves with physical contact with the opponent, like Tackle, Vine Whip, etc.

Special - Moves that do not make physical contact, like Gust or Psychic.

Moves that primarily alter stats are in their own category.

There are two separate stats determining how powerful a Pokemon's Physical or Special attacks are. Then there are two additional stats determining how well a Pokemon defends against each.

So if you're ultra into Pokemon and know how good their base Physical and Special defense stats are, you can incorporate that into your battle strategy along with STAB, type-effectiveness, etc.
>>
>>27197912
...So if you're fighting against a Geodude and don't have a Water-type or Grass-type handy, hit it with any Special attack because while its physical Defense is great, its Special Defense is abysmal.

Oh, and the Physical attack and defense stats are just known as Attack and Defense in-game, while Special attack and defense are called Special Attack and Special Defense.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.