[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one is the least shit? Starting a new HGSS playthrough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (63 KB, 312x169) Image search: [Google]
image.png
63 KB, 312x169
Which one is the least shit? Starting a new HGSS playthrough and I can't decide which one to go with. Thinking of dumping them anyway but we'll see
>>
>>27165123
>Ironically run Meganium
>Name it Hibiscus
>>
>>27165123
Totodile gets Ice Fang via level up and can solo Lance, go with him.
>>
>>27165629
I was thinking that since he really benefits from the phys/special split
>>
>>27165123
(You)
>>
>>27165123
Totodile is the best gen 2 starter in both GSC and HGSS. He pretty much stomps the game on his own.
>>
>>27165629
>>27165661
plus it gets handed waterfall later. And there's plenty of good grass and fire to select fromon the adventure.
>>
>>27165123
Just pick Totodile, Meganium and Typhlosion are both outclassed by other Pokemon you can pick up. You never really need a Fire-type anyway.
>>
>>27165682
>Totodile is the best gen 2 starter in both GSC and HGSS.
Cyndaquil line was the better choice in gen 2, water and ice being locked into special fucked the Totodile line and Typhlosion had special Thunder Punch
>>
File: wha...jpg (82 KB, 794x708) Image search: [Google]
wha...jpg
82 KB, 794x708
>>27165673
>this
>bait
>>
>>27165744
>Which one is the least shit?
>Thinking of dumping them anyway but we'll see
>reddit and morty
Yes now fuck off. Last (You) you're getting.
>>
>>27165737
No, it wasn't. Typhlosion could get fucked by dragons still whereas Feraligatr immediately got Ice Punch and Bite to fuck over everything else. Surf still hits like a truck regardless, and Feraligatr's bulky enough to shrug off pretty much everything.

I'm not going to deny that Typhlosion has its advantages but overall Feraligatr has an easier time of it, even moreso in HGSS. Granted you can cheese main game with anything but Feraligatr does it the easiest.
>>
File: : ).jpg (33 KB, 591x352) Image search: [Google]
: ).jpg
33 KB, 591x352
>>27165773
>Anon has no arguments left!
>He insulted the image and cried reddit!
>>
>>27165869
Not him, but this morty shit is more reddit related than pokemon go.
>>
>>27165888
Why? Because reddit has a section for a TV show? It has multiple pokemon ones, so isn't /vp/ just reddit by that logic?
>>
>>27165888
You're being dumb now, stop that.
>>
>>27165123
Nuzlocke it, pussy
>>
>>27165923
It is pretty close...
>>
>>27165937
I considered it but I always lose steam before Whitney's gym because I don't want to lose to her Miltank
>>
>>27165123
In the remakes? Probably Cyndaquil since there are so few fire pokemon. Totodile is the worst choice since you get the shiny gyrados which is pretty much just a better version of it. If you usually have trouble with Whitney you should pick Chikorita for the early game reflect + poison powder combo. Use PP, reflect, then switch to a geodude to pretty much shit on miltank at level 12-14.

BTW if you replay G/S/C at any point Chikorita is the best choice since its the only grass type that could learn earthquake back then and was therefor the only grass pokemon that could deal with faggy steel types back then without hidden power. New features and buffs to other mons haven't been kind to it though and it is now outclassed.
>>
I like Meganium's design the best, but Feraligatr is probably the most useful.

Sucks that 3/4 moves are HMs usually, unless you teach something shitty Whirlpool.
>>
>>27165716
>You never really need a Fire-type

>Who are Bugsy, Jasmine, Pryce, and Erika?
>>
>>27165123
If you do a Nuzlocke run and want a real challenge, pick Chikorita. It's pretty hard to get past Bugsy (assuming you play the "blacked/whited out = game over" rule).
>>
I love them all HG Cyndaquil is best in game.
>>
>>27165773
Are you insecure or something? How is any of that baiting for replies?
>>
>>27166086
You could easily beat Whitney with a Geodude though.
>>
>>27165737
Losing Thunderpunch isn't the end of the world if you're willing to run Earthquake or Focus Blast
>>
Where can I buy Soul Silver for cheap?
I hate emulators and I have a DS lite in really good condition
>>
>>27166299
Nowhere. You're better off getting a flash card.
>>
>>27166210
true. It really depends on how much of a low level run you want to go for and what restrictions you're enforcing on yourself if you need the reflect boost. The fact that miltank has Scrappy and a lum berry in hg/ss is a pain too now that I remember it. Its got to be Reflect, PP,PP in the remake instead of PP, Reflect.
>>
>>27165773
wew lad
>>
I mean Totodile is the best pokemon ever created
>>
>>27166687
You misspelled Treecko. Totodile is literally my mom's baby crocodile.
>>
>>27166163
>Bugsy
Metapod and Kakuna are jokes, and Scyther is not hard to beat since Totodile's line takes physical hits well.
>Jasmine
Magnemite is weak as shit, Steelix is part Ground.
>Pryce
Dewgong has nothing dangerous to Feraligatr or most mons in general. Piloswine is part Ground.
>Erika
>having trouble in Kanto

Johto is piss easy but Feraligatr line deals with all of those without much trouble at all.
>>27166086
In GSC Gyarados was hit harder by its special attack than Feraligatr was and Feraligatr actually learns a stronger ice-type move. In addition Gyarados is an exp sink in a region with shitty scaling.

In HGSS they're a bit closer but I'd still say Feraligatr is the better choice due to the exp curve. Besides, Starmie is better than both of them if you're looking for a diverse movepool especially since it can be obtained earlier than Gyarados.

Chikorita is fucking shit, what are you talking about? Why would you even use a grass-type to deal with a steel-type, especially since most steel-types back then were extremely defensive. That's so damn wasteful of an EQ tm.

Chikorita gets shit on by too much.
>>
>>27165123
>Which one is the least shit?
Cyndaquil. Stage 1 is adorable, Stage 3 is awesome. Johto starters are still subpar, but Typhlosion is always my go-to choice.
>>
>>27165123
Totodile for ass cheeks
>>
>>27165843
And dragons only show up for what, half of a gym, a gym leader, and half of the champion's team? And right before you face them the first time you go through Ice Path where you can snag something to kill dragons anyway.
>>
>>27167135
You're not seriously saying that the ice-types in Ice Path are useful, are you? Especially at their level compared to Clair.
>>
>>27167163
If beating the 4 dragon types in the entire game is so important, then yeah, having STAB to back up the ice moves would probably be better.
>>
>>27167004
In GSC neither should use water moves against things they aren't super effective to. You are also forgetting the million other new water pokemon like Mantine, Kingdra, Slowking, Quagsire and Lanturn which are all better pokemon than Feraligatr. And since Gyarados can learn better TMs like Thunder and Fire Blast, as well as learning Hydro Pump almost 20 levels earlier in a game with low leveled pokemon and gets Dragon Rage as well which people always seem to forget is extremely powerful in game before about level 35. Since both pokemon will be using Blizzard as their ice type move late game anyway and OHKOing 4x weak dragonites that isn't a factor either. And in HGSS, gyarados is even better since it then learns Hydro Pump 30 levels sooner, and both pokemon will still be using the exact same ice moves, except now they're using the Physical attack Avalanche which Gyrados does better.

And Chikorita is the only good attacking grass pokemon in gen II. If you don't use it and want a grass type you'll be stuck with a shitmon like Sunflora.
>>
>>27167163
Jynx is the best ice type in gen 2 and gets ice punch at level 25. Rekts dragons for days.
>>
>>27167783
Mantine is terribly weak compared to the others, Kingdra is obtained later and has movepool issue in gen 2, Quagsire is slow and not that strong, Lanturn is slow and not that strong, and Slowking is both incredibly slow and needs a trade evolution.

None of those are better than Feraligatr. I don't know why you'd ever think that.

All of those have issues that Feraligatr doesn't have and are more difficult to just run through the game with. In addition, GSC and HGSS both have gen I water-types which you might as well use since they're generally better. Starmie and Lapras are better than every Pokemon you mentioned. Even Tentacool gives them a run for their money.

Gyarados' special attack is still low regardless and there's no point in teaching it fucking Fire Blast when it can muscle through most of the Pokemon you fight anyway. What exactly does Fire Blast cover in HGSS that Ice Beam, Waterfall, and EQ don't? Also, Dragon Rage? Are you retarded? Why would I waste my time 2-3 shotting Pokemon when I can just 1-2 shot them with a different, better move? Dragon Rage is irrelevant here, it's only really good during early game.

Victribell exists in GSC and HGSS and is more then workable. You can also forego grass-types and not really miss out on much.

Feraligatr is still the best at cheesing the game regardless and is far superior as a choice for a starter than the other two. Chikorita barely pulls its weight the entire game in GSC and HGSS, and Cyndaquil has severe movepool issues in HGSS and isn't as good later on in GSC. It's not even that good early on beyond wrecking Bugsy.
>>
>>27167804
Doesn't deal really well with Kingdra desu, what level do they appear in Ice Path? Mid-20s? Lovely kiss might as well work
>>
>>27168031
>Cyndaquil isn't as good later on in GSC.
Teach Typhlosion Thunder Punch and Earthquake in combination with fire STAB then, perfect type coverage.
>>
>>27168363
I actually forgot it learned Earthquake. I just find it to be underwhelming beyond the second gym, especially since you gotta train Quilava to 36 before it can get Thunderpunch. It means Chuck is a bigger problem.
>>
Cyndaquil, there are a lot of water types you can catch that are better than Feraligatr such as Slowbro, Slowking, Starmie, Lanturn, Gyarados, Quagsire, Poliwrath, and Politoed. All of the fire types in Johto besides Typhlosion are shit.
>>
>>27168435
What other fire-types are available before you reach Kanto? Because the only gen 2 fire-type I can think of is Slugma and you don't get that for a long time.
>>
>>27168435
That says something considering typhlosion is pretty shit himself
overrated fire type desu
>>
>>27168501
Growlithe/Ninetales (version exclusives), Magmar, Flareon, and Houndoom I think.
>>
>>27168542
There's also Flareon.
Houndour is in Kanto. Ironic that there are no gen 2 fire-types in the gen 2 region.
>>
>>27168542
Houndoom is Kanto only.
>>27168501
Flareon, Growlithe/Vulpix, Magmar. Magmar is pretty decent especially since you can immediately catch it, but fire-types have always been kind of shafted in gen I and II. It's a shame, Houndoom would be great to use.

Luckily fire-types aren't really useful L most of the time and you can make do without them. It's not like the gyms they're strong in aren't pathetically easy anyway.
>>27168435
The only Pokemon there better than Feraligatr are Gyarados and Starmie and even then there's a case to made against Gyarados since it's an exp sink

If you want a good water-type just get Starmie.
>>
>>27165123
to me: Chikorita gives me a good challenge. AKA: hard mode. Cynda & Toto are cool, but I needs me some suffering.

>named my Chikorita 'Lobo' because the main man is always up for some ball busting challenges
>>
>>27168616
Evolution stones are kinda tough to come across in gen 2.
>>
>>27168743
I forgot about that, actually. HGSS made it much easier.

You can still grab a Lapras after you get Surf, can't you? It's rather slow unfortunately but much stronger than anything else right after you get surf bar Feraligatr and Tentacruel, possibly Gyarados if you actually decided to grind it up.
>>
>>27165701
>good fire types
>basically just vulpix/growlithe depending on your game and magmar
>slugma if you enter the right password to primo
>everything else is postgame
>>
>>27168923
Not as bad as DP desu
>only new fire type is locked behind endgame
>>
>>27169046
You can't get Magmortar?
>>
>>27169078
You couldn't get his trade item until postgame IIRC. HGSS fixed this issue by throwing every trade item ever at you during the main game.
>>
File: 1468525730318.png (147 KB, 711x519) Image search: [Google]
1468525730318.png
147 KB, 711x519
>>27165773
>using reddit as an insult
Ran out of insults to use?
>>
>>27169215
"Redditor" is a pretty good insult if you ask me. The Pokemon fans on there are pretty nice, but I can't stand all the tl;dr posts with no point whatsoever by unfunny people trying to gain some sort of recognition.
>>
>decent variety of grass types in the game
>loads of good water types in the game
>barely any fire types

Get Cyndaquil
>>
>>27169539
no need desu, fire types are shit
>>
>>27169215
>getting triggered when reddit is used as an insult

hey reddit!
>>
>>27168923
This just makes me sad at how good the fire types were in BW.
>Chandelure
>Darmanitan
>Emboar
>Volcarona
>even fucking Heatmof
>>
>>27169078
>>27169046
>not cheating in national dex and catching growlithe on the first route
>>
>>27167163
Jynx is a fucking monster in gen 2. Seriously, I love that disgusting excuse for a Pokemon and I've used it in so many play throughs. It's really sad that you can never get one in later games and that the physical/special split shit on it some for PvE.
>>
>>27170461
You could also use wifi before it was shut off.
>>27170644
At least Mamoswine is pretty dank in gen 4 and onward. It was pretty good in HGSS for me.
>>
>least shit
Gen 2 is the only gen with 3 well designed starters you plebian. If you are talking about how strong they are who the fuck cares HGSS is easy.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.