[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A friend of mine who has never played Pokemon before caved after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: 250px-Red_EN_boxart.png (134 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
250px-Red_EN_boxart.png
134 KB, 250x251
A friend of mine who has never played Pokemon before caved after he got bored watching me and all his other friends talking about Pokemon Go, so he downloaded it.

5 minutes later he asked me if he were to start playing Pokemon for the very first time, which game should he start with? I recently started replaying pic related, and this was my immediate choice, but I thought I'd think about it a bit more and ask here first.

So, /vp/, which game should a total Pokemon virgin play first, in the [CURRENT YEAR]?
>>
>>27164919
X/Y obviously
Or S/M
>>
HG/SS and ORAS
>>
pokemon black and white 2 or platinum
>>
gen two is still a great game even by todays standards. The nice sprites, colors, day and night, options for your team and the areas. It's old yeah but idk tell him to play either crystal, soul silver/ heart gold or BW2
>>
>>27164919
XY or ORAS
>>
>>27164919
Either RBY or XY. These are the perfect choices for those who never played Pokemon. It depends if he has already a 3ds/2ds or not
>>
>>27164919
The original games are not a very good starting point. Tons of gliches, a lot of weird-looking sprites and bad graphics. Horrible balancing and it ony had the original 151.

I would suggest X/Y, ORAS, or HGSS as a good place to start playing. If you really want him to start on gen 1 then have him play FrLg (although I wouldn't reccomend it because no physical/special split) there is literally no reason to play Red or Blue first.
>>
>>27164956
>>27164962
>unova
Nice meme, kid. A bit overused though.
>>
>>27164978
>X/Y, ORAS, or HGSS
These. Objectively the best starting points for new players.
>>
>>27164983
The fuck up. If you don't think BW2 are top five in the series you don't even like pokemon
>>
>>27164919
Get him to play yellow since it follows the anime closest.

Or get him on crystal. Whatever you're choice is, start him off oldest to newest. Why would you want a newbie to jump on ds. Make him relive the Golden days of gameboy color.
>>
>>27164919
If he has a 3DS/2DS: XY for the variety of Pokemon and fresh mechanics
If he doesn't: HGSS
>>
>>27165024
>>27164971
He has a 3DS
>>
>>27164919
Have him play either FRLG or RBY since his only exposure is to Pokemon is Go. GSC and HGSS are fine too.

RSE, ORAS, and DPPt have too many new Pokemon. BW & BW2 are an obvious no because of that too. XY sucks.
>>
X/Y
>>
>>27165036
>has a 3DS but has never played pokemon
How does this even happen?
>>
>>27165055
He's a Mario fanboy. He's also played Zelda, but Pokemon just sorta passed him by I guess.
>>
>>27165038
XY does not suck it was just somewhat disappointing if you're a long-time fan. It's still a very good starting point for beginners you just have to tell him to turn exp share off.
>>
Tell him to wait for Sun and Moon.
>>
>>27165066
>Mario
>Zelda
He's fat too, I'm guessing?
>>
>>27164919
XY for the most up to date with good comfy experience

HGSS if he doesn't mind an older game that was the best pokemon release

ORAS if youre a gigantic autist that insists he must eat literal shit because it's the newest thing to do
>>
>>27165084
He was, but he kinda stopped playing video games in the past couple of years and lost a lot of weight and had girlfriends and shit since his mario (and sonic) fat loser autism phase.
>>
>>27165036
>>27165055
Get him to play XY then. You have your answer from like 10 different responses at this point
>>
XY for him, OP.
>>
FRLG is the obvious answer to me
its only the pokemon that literally anybody under 30 in a first world country will know
but the overworld graphics are a lot more detailed and the sprites actually look like the pokemon
they'll feel like theyre playing the anime and thats the jumping off point
>>
>>27164919
FRLG -> emerald = HGSS -> platinum -> any or all gen 5

emerald and HGSS order depends on if you want gen order or a more natural progression of the technology
>>
you guys really want him to play XY ?

Like the dude would play with the most retards npc ever in pokemon ?

he'll ragequit before the first badge with all the non sense all the in game "friends" spout

but yeah nice idea guys
>>
>>27165202
same guy answering

The best would be HGSS or platinum
>>
Gotta say, a lot of love for X/Y. I felt it was objectively the best Pokemon game, but I had way more fun playing HG/SS. Really leaning towards that right now.
>>
>>27165202
The NPCs have shitty dialogue in every game.
>>
>>27164919
For starters, no matter what, if the games have a remake, PERHAPS besides RSE, he should play the remakes. There's no fucking reason you should play RBY instead of FRLG unless you really crave the new online trading functionality. With that out of the way though? It depends on what he's looking for in Pokemon.

If he's only interested in collecting and raising the Pokemon through the single player campaign, as someone with the same mindset, I'd say any game is good for that. DPPt, XY, it doesn't matter much, as every series entry has a good level of quality. The most you should really help out with this is showing him each game's available Pokemon.

If he's more interested in competitive play, or if you think he will at some point, I would have him play something Gen IV and onwards, which has the physical/special split. Starting him out with any game that has it will help him adjust to the modern mechanics, I think. In fact, in this case, the newer the games, the better, because, especially with B2W2 and onward, the games have a huge spectrum of Pokemon to use and fight, so he can learn about more Pokemon, moves, and abilities within one game. If he played something like DP (not Platinum) instead, he'd have less to get used to, but if he wants to go about this slow, I suppose this method isn't a bad alternative for him.
>>
>>27164919

FRLG so he can actually use the gen1 mon.
>>
FR or LF
>>
Never start someone with RBY. My personal opinion is BW.
>>
>>27165005
>gen 5
>good
summer go
>>
>>27164919
BW1 might be a decent choice.
>>
>>27164919
XY if he has a DS, FRLG if he's emulating.
Easing him into a gen1-friendly experience is the best way to get people interested because nostalgia.
>>
>>27164919

Red or Blue on a gameboy
>>
>>27165842
BW2 is in the top 3 of Pokémon games. How ironic that you call someone summer when it comes to this
>>
>>27165867
>BW1
>no pokemon even found in Go

Just play FRLG
>>
>>27164919
>which game should a total Pokemon virgin play first

Too many people saying their favorite game and ignoring the question.

If you actually want to get them interested in the Pokemon most of us are familiar with, I'd say FRLG.

It's an improved version of RBY that started the late 90s Pokemon craze. Your friend is part of the modern craze, so show them its origins.

After that, if they like it, go with HGSS. Again, and improved version of GSC, plus it's a lot of younger players' (people who started playing around Gen 3 and 4) favorite game.
>>
Fire Red and Leaf Green are the undisputed best games to start with. After that you're best off playing either X and Y or HGSS.
>>
Fire red or Leaf Green. Gen 1 is dated as shit but the remakes are excellent.
>>
>>27164983
shut up, teen
>>
>>27165007
Because he doesn't have nostalgia going for him and the gameboy games aged like milk.
>>
What are the advantages of starting with XY over ORAS? I really enjoyed XY but isn't the Battle Resort the superior postgame due to move tutors and more megas? I don't know, I'd always recommend ORAS for a 6th gen game.
>>
HGSS is the most obvious answer
>>
>>27165005
BW2 is best Pokemon game, when you choose to stop being retarded lets talk about how good it is
>>
>>27164919
Fire red or emerald.
>>
If he plays newer games, he will think that older games are shit.

I'd say he should play one game+remake per Generation, so he will know every story and characters.

But if he doesn't give a shit about knowing the franchise, just start from 6th Gen.
>>
File: nwfr0.jpg (63 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
nwfr0.jpg
63 KB, 800x450
>>27164919
BW are the best options, IMO. Second choice is XY.
They break down what you need to know and catches you to speed:
BW emphasises type adventages and such.
It was my lil' sisters first game and it got her the basics for everything.
Honestly, the monkey you get works wonders for beginners
>>
FRLG or HGSS
>>
File: Pokemon-Origins-Ep-1-Img-0006.png (883 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-Origins-Ep-1-Img-0006.png
883 KB, 1280x720
>>27165038
>>27165147
>>27165179
>>27165803
>>27165815
>>27166262
>>27166275
>>27166357
>>27167287
>>27167559
FRLG is probably the definitive answer.

I'm not even talking in terms of quality here, but the games are tailor-made for new players. Tutorials abound, there's even an item to give further tutorials.
>>
>>27167646
Don't forget the tutorials are unintrusive, unlike the newer games. The option is there, but it won't insult the player's intelligence. There is no better first game.
>>
>>27164919

Start him with Yellow imo man.
>>
original RBY or FRLG.

he isn't going to relate to anything but gen wun if pokemon go is his entry point.
>>
>>27167646
This, the game is not only a breeze but it'll have the same Pokemon as Pokemon GO. He'll not only recognize what he saw in the game, but he'll understand Pokemon better as an entirety.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.