[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this a Normal-type? We have a Normal-type panda and a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: normalfighting.jpg (44 KB, 296x332) Image search: [Google]
normalfighting.jpg
44 KB, 296x332
Why is this a Normal-type? We have a Normal-type panda and a Fighting-type panda already. Are you really telling me this guy here is somehow more normal than Pancham but less normal than Spinda?

What does Normal even mean in this world? Pikachu is a rodent that can shoot lightning, so it's an Electric-type. Rattata is a rodent that can shoot lightning, and it also shoots ice beams and shadow balls and it can set itself on fire for just long enough to ram into something without hurting itself, but it's a Normal-type? Why? Because it's unspecialized? By calling it "normal", do you mean it doesn't have enough meaningful attributes to fit into the mold you want it to?

That argument doesn't even work. As early as Generation II we had a Normal/Psychic-type in Girafarig. Then we got Normal/Water Bibarel, and later Normal/Grass Deerling. What makes Pyroar more normal than the dozens of other Pokemon that breathe fire, or Heliolisk more normal than the dozens that zap things? What even is a normal dragon? They can still pull their own weight as their respective elemental types, but you still look down on them as Normal, for some reason.

And that's to say nothing about the weirdness surrounding Normal/Flying. Why is Tornadus the only "pure" Flying-type? What is it about birds like Pidgey and Hoothoot that make them "tainted" by normalcy? Are you saying that they're somehow "less Flying" than Tornadus just because they wanted to live a simple fucking life instead of languishing every day as some stupid high-powered executive with no passion for their job for the rest of their lives until retirement? You'll really just dismiss them as normal just for that? All they ever wanted to do was make you proud, but it was never enough, was it, dad? Well fuck you! I'm done trying to impress you. I'm just gonna live my life the way I want to, and I don't care if you label me "one of those plebeians" for the rest of your shallow, unfulfilling life. Mom was right. I'm done with this.
>>
honestly, you've got a good point, but people will mock you and say you're autistic

design philosophy/normal STAB/unique typing/GF is trolls

take your pick
>>
>>27159975
I heard somewhere along the line that back in gen1, gamefreaks actually wanted Animal-type/Pet-type/Beast-type instead of Normal-type.

Normal doesn't translate as neutral typing critter, but normal-animal.
Kiteguruma does looks like normal-ish animal.
>>
it's really plain-looking and cutesy so it's normal

it can snap wooden beams in half on accident so it's fighting
>>
i imagine this post is some kind of bait, but
>What does Normal even mean in this world? Pikachu is a rodent that can shoot lightning, so it's an Electric-type. Rattata is a rodent that can shoot lightning, and it also shoots ice beams and shadow balls and it can set itself on fire for just long enough to ram into something without hurting itself, but it's a Normal-type? Why? Because it's unspecialized? By calling it "normal", do you mean it doesn't have enough meaningful attributes to fit into the mold you want it to?
Rattata doesn't naturally shoot lightning, ice beams, or shadow balls. That's the effect of a third party technology. Generally in nature Rattata exhibit mostly behaviors and attacks classified under the normal variety. In the cases of Bibarel, Deerling, Pyroar, and Heliolisk, there is a split in natural attacks exhibited by them, and thus their classification. In Girafarig's case, the pokemon itself is essentially two beings. The front half is a normal giraffe-esq creature, while the back half has a second brain with psychic abilities.

What pokemon can learn via technology has nothing to do with what they'd be classified as naturally. I also imagine that the weakness chart is something that would exist 'in lore', so to speak, that would allow Pokemon Researchers to test the effectiveness of attack types on different pokemon, to the point of narrowing them down into type categories. In some cases, they have two types based on this.
>>
>>27159975
the regional bird/rodent/Pikachu should definitely end
>>
"Normal" is just the tip of the iceberg... types are fucked up.

* Pseudo-taxonomy - grass/plant, bug, fairy, ghost, dragon
* Composition - steel, rock
* Living environment - ground, water?, ice/cold? flying
Let alone ice, a type representing a state of a specific substance.
* Offense methods - poison, fight, water?, ice?, electricity, fire
>>
>>27160076
i forgot to classify, but a 'normal attack' would be something along the lines of a natural attack with the body that isn't some form of martial art/formed fighting (fighting), dirty fighting (dark), or that doesn't rely on another property (such as the density of a rock or steel type attack, or flames of a fire attack). So things like scratching, body checks, gestures. Think of how a real mammal-type animal would defend itself, and you'll see a correlation with that and normal type attacks.
>>
>>27159975
1 gen: Normal types are the Pokemon without weird natural abilities, most attack are just ordinary attacks real life animal would do.
>>
>>27160309
Hyper Beam.
>>
>>27160309
But after gen 2 they decided to fuck it and lets make everything magical.

I liked fact you needed Tms to teach your bull to shoot thunder or huge cat to blow bubbles.
>>
File: HNI_0067.jpg (64 KB, 768x524) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0067.jpg
64 KB, 768x524
>>27159975
They started with Normal.

Attacks like Tackle and Stomp don't really have any kind of quantifiable elemental attributes. So they made Normal.

Some Pokemon didn't fit into any other type. Tauros is just a bull. Chansey is a magical egg. A lot of the magical ones became Fairies, though.

I have zero explanation for why Normal/Flying was ever a thing. Pure Flying would have made as much sense.

Girafarig's typing was in reference to it being a palindrome, and also 50% literal giraffe and 50% magic tail head. When Bibarel became a thing, that was just Gamefreak saying, "y'know, what if we started treating Normal like the other types?" Then they actually did that in gen 6, but only because they probably were urged to due to so many Normals going Fairy. Even so, they did it. Gen 7 is just continuing in that spirit.

It's a gameplay and game design choice now. Pokemon are being designed around typing (Pyroar, Drampa). They probably don't always do it that way, but you can't prove they don't do that most of the time nowadays.

Drampa could have easily been pure Dragon, but the Normal-type is there because "we want more interesting and varied Normal-types." That's the only reason they need.

Pokemon does not follow logic, biology, mathematics, or any rule Game Freak didn't make themselves. Teruguma can be Normal/Fighting, and Regirock can weigh half it's logical weight, "just because."
>>
>>27160335
>Only pokemon that learn this naturally in gen one are Dragons or fucking snorlax. It was always portrayed as ordinary destructive beam attack like Godzillas breath.
Even to this time not many pokemon actualy learn it naturally.
>>
>>27160359
Pokemon has a logic... A really, odd, strange and kinda twisted logic, but a logic nonetheless. And people try to explain those kind of thing... Because they like to do so.
Some people like to tie the lore they like, fill the gap that the story has left unexplained, smake theory, and confront their opinion about them, it's not that unusual.

I really wish we got some more lore or at lest NEW POKEDEX ENTRIES
>>
>>27159975

Damn nigga you wrote a whole lotta shit there...
>>
Guys did you hear? English name is KumaKuma CHECK SEREBII
>>
How do you not get it?
Normal type is the Hufflepuff of Pokemon.
>>
>>27160076
Why is /vp/ always saying everything is bait? There isnt a damn thread i go where some underage scream bait at something
>>
File: bait pokemon.png (40 KB, 624x624) Image search: [Google]
bait pokemon.png
40 KB, 624x624
>>27162657
>Why is /vp/ always saying everything is bait?
>/vp/
>everything is bait
This happen in every board in 4chan. /vp/ is just part of it

Most of the time, nobody would actually post a thought-provoking comment, especially a controversial comment, aside from baiting for replies
>>
>>27162657
That's because /vp/ is the b8 board. There is barely enough content to justify its own board so we just try to out troll each other.
>>
>>27160359
>but only because they probably were urged to due to so many Normals going Fairy
I still wonder why they can't just slap Fairy over their normal typing like what happened to Clefairy. It's not like it's Togekiss where all the other Normal Pokemon before the change were relevant when they weren't Fairy-type yet
>>
>>27160359
>>27164590
I'm just waiting for Cosmic type to revamp all those shitty psychic types from space.
>>
>>27164623
And how exactly are Cosmic types supposed to be?

Fairy type is good because it balanced out the Dragon pokemons from being literally OU in the tourney
>>
>>27162657
Defense mechanism, there's so much bait on this board that most people just assume anything out of the norm is bait.
>>
>>27164675
Balance out other types like Fairy, Ground, and Flying
>>
File: computer Aerodactyl.gif (109 KB, 700x567) Image search: [Google]
computer Aerodactyl.gif
109 KB, 700x567
>>27165180
How are Fairy, Ground and Flying unbalanced?
>>
Girafarig's giraffe half is Normal, while the black half is Psychic
Bibarel is a normal beaver that spits water
Sawsbuck is a normal deer with plant antlers
Pyroar is a normal lion that spits fire
Heliolisk can't use electric powers by itself, it uses an outside source
Normal/Flying types are normal birds that can fly, Tornadus is pure Flying because it's the embodiment of wind
Bearguy is a normal bear that happens to be so strong that it's Fighting-type
Not sure about Drampa, but maybe it's not a full dragon, it's anither creature but with draconic traits
>>
Lots of mundane mammals are normal type and it can suggest either a sort of dumb nature, or reign in an elemental creature to something more grounded (such as Heliolisk).

There's also no real disadvantage to it, you get a weakness but then a complete immunity and STAB on high power normal moves as a result.

Gamefreak in general seem to enjoy putting out more normal dual typings now, to break the mold a bit.
>>
>>27159975

Normal just means it's proficient at using non-elemental attacks and forces, hence Normal STAB. Fighting also uses those forces but with technique.
>>
>>27165222
git gud.
>>
>>27164408
>>27164441
Also, the daddy issues thing.
>>
File: 1460498939688.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
1460498939688.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
I hope you're ready for more of these in the future, because there's a lot of combinations left.

>Normal/Poison
>Normal/Ghost
>Normal/Steel
>Normal/Rock
>Normal/Bug
>Normal/Ice
>Normal/Dark
>>
>>27165222
>how is earthquake unbalanced
>>
>>27169180

>A single move means an entire type is unbalanced.

Then just change the fucking move or make access to it more limited.
>>
>>27160140
Hyper beam anyone?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.