[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the worst mistake you have ever made with regards to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12
File: $_3.jpg (33 KB, 334x500) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
33 KB, 334x500
What is the worst mistake you have ever made with regards to Pokemon cards?

When I was 10 years old I had a collection of 5 Charizard Shiny cards like pic related.

I gave them all away for free, for fucking stupid reasons

I gave 1 to a girl I liked because I thought she would kiss me (she didn't, she called me a 'dinofreak' and ripped the card)
I gave 2 to my 20 year old Chinese neighbor because he told me that dragons still attack Chinese homes and would be scared off by the Charizards (pretty sure he scammed me)
I gave 1 to my cousin because he said he would beat me up if I didn't
I gave the last 1 to my 24 year old Chinese neighbor because he said he needed it to use as a bandaid from a dragon bite (again, I think they scammed me)

I see these cards being sold for thousands of fucking dollars. I could have been rich if I wasn't a naive and stupid kid. Did any of you lose a fortune?
>>
kill yourself, seriously
>>
Most kids don't even take care of their charizard cards in near mint condition and stored them into some moist,dusty shoebox

so you werent missing any money at all.
>>
>>27148221
But I knew they would be valuable and got tricked anyway
>>
Stay away from the Chinese, OP. You are much too gullible and since they have no souls they take no issue for taking you for all your worth.
>>
I traded my Charizard for a Blastoise cause I liked Blastoise better.
>>
Buying them
>>
OP I hope you aren't lying, you fucking dino freak.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3034x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3034x2448
are these worth anything?
>>
>>27148169
>I see these cards being sold for thousands of fucking dollars.
Probably not the ones you had. The ones that go for thousands are the 1st Edition stamped cards, which had a very, very small print run and were snatched up by older Magic the Gathering players before most kids knew the TCG existed. I'd wager less than 1% of /vp/ have ever seen a 1st edition pack in person.
>>
>>27151686
Pretty sure that kabuto is a sticker. Try peeling it.
>>
>>27151712
Im not doing anything to it
>>
File: 148925.jpg (60 KB, 322x450) Image search: [Google]
148925.jpg
60 KB, 322x450
When I was in first grade, an older kid got me to trade my Clefable for his Ponyta. He told me Ponyta was super rare and way better than Clefable because it was a fire type instead of normal. I should have known that Clefable was rare because of the star, but I guess I didn't think it was that good because the one I had wasn't holofoil.
>>
>>27148169
>band-aid from a dragon bite

I'm crying.

Seriously anon, you should track down your asshole neighbor, bring a baseball bat, and don't leave till you get what's yours or something of equivalent value
>>
>>27151757
what does the star mean? all my pokemon cards have stars on them.
>>
>>27151710
I had a TRU near me that had an entire fucking bin filled with first ed packs. Base, fossil, and jungle.

My parents only let me get three packs. I got a first ed foil blastoise.

The pack was poorly sealed and the top of just the blastoise was crimped with the pack.
>>
>>27151820
>Base, fossil, and jungle.
If they had Jungle and Fossil in stock, those Base packs weren't 1st Edition.
>>
>>27148169
>she called me a 'dinofreak' and ripped the card
>(pretty sure he scammed me)
>(again, I think they scammed me)

Holy God this is funny.
>>
>>27151731
Huh. I said it was a sticker because I used to have a Farfetch'd card that looked like that, and it was a sticker, but apparently they DID make real cards like that. Disregard me, I suck cocks.
>>
>>27151686
The Pokemon cards: no, not at all.
Entei: .49
Zapdos: 2.49
Kabuto: 5.99
Clefairy: 2.99

That's how much I can buy them from the card site I use. I'm actually surprised that Kabuto is worth that much. I doubt you would actually find someone to pay that price anywhere. It's sold out on the site, which is probably why it's listed that high.
>>
>>27151686
no, none of these are worth anything. feel free to google
>>
>>27151686
A couple bucks for a few of that probably.

I recently sold a few of mine to a website 11 cards for $88. I owned a lot of prerelease and every movie card. The movie cards are worth nothing and only a few of my prerelease stuff was sold. Its weird I guess I was a sperg kid because my binder was organized by set then rarity and everything that I got I immediately put in there so if I didn't trade for it it was mint condition.

I still wish I invested in MTG sooner instead of pokemon and yugioh.
>>
File: 1460403891405.jpg (101 KB, 450x251) Image search: [Google]
1460403891405.jpg
101 KB, 450x251
>>27148169
Convinced by a person working at a game store that I could get an entire box of WotC cards (Base or Jungle or some shit) at a significant discount.

They turned out to be Topps cards.

I was tricked into purchasing a shit ton of Topps garbage. I was like 12.
>>
>>27148169
I haven't done that many big mistakes that I deeply regret. I did get a holo Charizard but it was from the Legendary Collection which I eventually traded for several cards including the Ancient Mew card.
And then a few years later I traded a few holo rare cards (around 5) for a Regirock-ex.
After that I've never gotten a card that was worth that much. Only the full art Latias EX I got two years ago.
>>
>>27151816
It means it's a rare card with the potential to be holofoil. Circle is common, diamond is uncommon, and neither of those can be holofoil. Typically basic Pokemon are common (Bulbasaur, Geodude, Zubat, etc.), stage one are uncommon (Ivysaur, Graveler, Gloom, etc.), and stage two Pokemon are are rare (Venusaur, Vileplume, Machamp, etc.). However there are always exceptions to the rule, like Clefable being a rare stage 1 or Golem being uncommon stage 2.
>>
Not card related, but back when I was like 12 and had Pokemon Silver, a neighbour with Gold came to play and trade. After beating the shit out of him (he didn't even know Red was a thing in the game), he asked me to borrow my Silver cartridge.
Considering the game has only one save state, of course I said no. Next day, his entire family moved out. Mother fucker. I actually still have that Pokemon Silver.
>>
File: 182787.jpg (245 KB, 318x450) Image search: [Google]
182787.jpg
245 KB, 318x450
practicaly gave this away for some shitty squirtle blastoise lineup and some energies , and is now in 285 usd ...
>>
>>27150565
>Am Chinese, can confirm
>>
>>27151898
>It's sold out on the site, which is probably why it's listed that high.
It's listed that high because it's from Legendary Collection. That set is infamous for being discontinued very quickly. Unopened packs can go for 50+ dollars.
>>
>>27148169
t. Canada
>>
>>27151844
They were. This was way after they stopped making these sets.

My understanding was that some chucklefuck misplaced a whole carton of them for years, then they sold them for $3 a pack.
>>
File: FeelsFlavoredIceCream.jpg (13 KB, 205x200) Image search: [Google]
FeelsFlavoredIceCream.jpg
13 KB, 205x200
>>27148169
I traded away a secret rare ultra ball back when they were only $50, I didn't think they would spike in price. I didn't get scammed, but I lost out on a lot of money.
>>
File: hue oh.jpg (37 KB, 322x450) Image search: [Google]
hue oh.jpg
37 KB, 322x450
>>27148169
>get one of these Ho-Oh's in a pack
>let a scumbag That Kid friend tease me into trading it for a Blaine's Arcanine and some other thing

It haunts me to this day that I will never ever hold that specific exact card that I pulled out of that pack on Christmas morning ever again.
>>
>>27148169
Two chinamen scammed you, you deserve it.
>>
>>27152051
>That set is infamous for being discontinued very quickly.

Wasnt that skyridge?

A skyridge box costs like 500 on ebay damn
>>
File: 1460337519095.gif (461 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1460337519095.gif
461 KB, 500x375
>>27148169
>In 4th grade, Pokemon card craze is still going strong
>Everyone trades cards at recess
>One weird teacher always tries to act cool (he's probably mid-thirties), takes up trading Pokemon cards with students
>Always freaks me out because he tries to act like your friend, pats you on the back, weirdly invasive of your space
>Other kids love him
>Sees my cards one day, asks to trade
>Offers me three shit uncommons for my holo Flareon
>He keeps insisting, I'm too afraid to say no to a teacher, give him the Flareon
>He walks away, I feel bad, go back five minutes later to ask for Flareon back
>"Too late anon, a deal is a deal. You have to honor that, now"

mfw I heard he hung himself in his closet 6 years ago and his kid found his body
>>
>>27152717
I have the jp version
>>
And here I was regretting leaving Ruby at my friends house however many years ago :^/
>>
>>27151686
>non-toon masked sorcerer
I don't think so.
>>
File: 1468435962136.jpg (31 KB, 188x280) Image search: [Google]
1468435962136.jpg
31 KB, 188x280
>>27152833
Jesus christ.
>>
>>27148169
Well.. not sure how to explain this but years ago not giving a date I had over 1500 dollars in pokemon cards and left them in my car when I stopped at a sit down place to eat with friends, all my "friends" met up for a toruny and we had dinner, well 1 didnt out of a group of 5 of us and someone had broken in MY car that was absolute POS, well flash foward a week later the guy who didnt show up when I was robbed happen to have some of MY cards in his new deck so sometime later I burned down his house he got from his parents when they passed away he was way older then me and im 100% ok with what I did, I did make sure no one was inside at the time and his filthy cat was out of the house too..

Dont steal my fucking cards
>>
>>27152789
The other underprinted sets, like Skyridge and RS, don't even break 20 dollars a pack. That's how underprinted Legendary Collection was.
>>
>>27148169
Back in 2003 my brother and I collected all WOTC cards up to Neo Genesis 1st Edition. We sold all the sets for $150. Makes me shed a tear thinking about it....
>>
Big mistake for my brother.

At the drive in at Sonic, aunt comes along in her own truck and comes over to ours and hands us two boosters.

My brother was a huge asshole back then, would beat me up for no reason and generally would try to take what he wanted from me until my parents found out and punished him.

He stares at his booster a moment, stares back at mine, then swipes it from my hands and hands me his and says "I want yours, you take mine". If I remember I think it was because the Pokemon on the front was cooler on mine.

Open it up, fucking Holo Charizard. He got a Poliwrath. Was so fucking pissed he pestered my granpfather until grandpa bought him his own Charizard.

Felt so good.
>>
>>27151757
I have this card but it's in Spanish
>>
>>27148169
>mobile game comes out
>start getting 10x the number of threads pulling shit that never happened out there ass
>>
>>27153702
Afaik skyridge didnt get a reprint because wotc lost the rights to the game
>>
>>27148169
Let my brother know where I stashed them.

Little shit stole the lot and traded them in for YuGiOh. I've only got a handful of promotional cards left that I kept hidden in the sock drawer.
>>
File: 20160713_205801_copy.jpg (1 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
20160713_205801_copy.jpg
1 MB, 2656x1494
Speaking of first edition, is there any way to tell if this is first ed or not?

Also I have a card similar to OPs picture. Except it's japanese and says 1998 P.M. Japanese #6; Charizard - HOLO Gem MT10; CD Promo. I have Blastoise and Venasaur like that as well.
>>
File: 20160713_205848_copy.jpg (1 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
20160713_205848_copy.jpg
1 MB, 2656x1494
>>27154296
Side view
>>
File: 300px-1st_edition_English.png (15 KB, 300x224) Image search: [Google]
300px-1st_edition_English.png
15 KB, 300x224
>>27154296
There will be a giant version of this symbol on the top of the box. You can't miss it.
>>
>>27154722
'Sanks. Probably not first edition then. Guess the only first edition holos I own are machamp and flareon, neither of which are shadowless. At least I've got a decent spread. So everything probably isn't worthless.
>>
>>27153873
Here's the story behind Legendary Collection:
The whole set was nothing but a shitty excuse on WotC's part. See, the game was getting big enough that there were too many sets for the format to handle. The solution was to rotate Base-Rocket. Since they were afraid removing so many cards at once would have a weird effect on the format, they decided that they were going to do a reprint set every time there was a major rotation. That way, they could keep some interesting cards from older sets, but get rid of the gamebreaking ones while thinning out the card pool.

Since everyone already had the cards in Legendary Collection, they figured nobody would give much of a shit about it. Their solution was to appease both major assets of their fandom: Reverse foils for collectors and packs containing full evolution lines for players (you could play sealed pack without draft with them).

They weren't sure that would be enough to move packs off shelves, so they gave it a tiny print run and called it a day. It had a much, much smaller release than even Skyridge.
>>
>>27154805
Well the Machamp is guaranteed first ed and guaranteed worthless since it is a starter deck pack in. A shadowless variety exists and is the only one worth a few bucks. Flareon can't be shadowless because only the base set came that way at one point in time, it was a revision they decided on.
>>
>>27155072
WotC does something similar with its own Magic now. Selling Legacy reprints in tiny ass quantity for 2.5x the price of "normal" cards.
>>
I wrote my name on the Birthday Pikachu.

I'm seriously tempted to replace it, but I don't really feel like paying $20 for a single card.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.