[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can Sun and Moon top GO's success?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: Pikachu Worried.jpg (21 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Pikachu Worried.jpg
21 KB, 500x281
Okay, I brought this up a few threads ago, but I think it deserves its own topic.

GO is introducing a lot of newcomers to the Pokemon series through a fairly straightforward catching and combat system, allowing them to appreciate the more complex gameplay of the main series more easily. Also, GO is bringing back a lot of the first generation to play the main series by rekindling the feeling of freedom and exploration that the first games put forth towards their own generation.

However, I think the question must be asked if Sun and Moon can adequately follow up on the elements of exploration, unity and interaction that makes up the very core of GO's gameplay.

In GO, there is one major quality that differentiates itself from the main series games: randomness. Other than times and general locations when and where one can find certain Pokemon, there's no telling what can spawn. A major aspect of GO's success is the fact that one can walk out the door in anticipation for the Pokemon they will catch and the people they will meet in their travels. But with Sun and Moon, it's the opposite. The entire region, battles with trainers, Pokemon locations, and their encounter rates are entirely defined and finite. As if that wasn't enough, every player is for themselves. No teams, no cooperation, nothing of the sort other than trading, and even that is ineffective to a degree what with the obedience system.

What's more, GO is far more accessible to people than the main series ever will be; its is a completely free app on a device that is pretty much required to function in today's society. But with Sun and Moon it would cost someone around $120 at minimum to get both one version and a system to play it on.

Nintendo/Game Freak got a LOT more than they expected with GO, and they're going to have to do a lot of work to ensure that Sun and Moon can follow the act successfully. What do you guys think?
>>
>>27139926
>In GO, there is one major quality that differentiates itself from the main series games: randomness.
That's both an innate quality from it being an ARG and one of its greatest flaws. From the moment you start there's already a system of haves and have-nots based on where you live in relation to PokéStops, gyms, and wild Pokémon distribution. Some people live out in the middle of nowhere and need to drive several minutes to the nearest Stop, some people can reach one or several without even leaving their homes (one Anon posted here a few days ago about having full access to 4 from inside his apartment and benefitting from constant lures other players put up there).

Mainline Pokémon being a crafted, individual experience only serves to help its slowly fading vestiges of traditional JRPGdom. If GO does anything it'll influence future spinoffs, but Sun and Moon likely won't reflect anything from it.
>>
File: 1431258333540.jpg (19 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1431258333540.jpg
19 KB, 400x300
>>27141517
I started playing today and live in a fairly remote area, I need to drive to my stops, though it was fun seeing that there was a gym within 3-minutes of me by car that someone had taken, I definitely plan to try and control it.

That being said, although the stops are far and few in between, the fun is still there. I do wonder because of the major impact GO has had in it's short period of time, if it will influence the future of the franchise, however it may be.
>>
File: 1386397826483.png (31 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
1386397826483.png
31 KB, 600x500
>>27139926
>A free phone app vs a $40-45 game plus a console
>>
>>27139926
Sun and moon would literally have to be the most popular video game of all time to become more successful than Go

If by success you mean player numbers and revenue, hell no

If by some other definition of success then whatever
>>
>>27141609
I know my friend circle who are super into GO have no interest in any of the handheld titles at all, which is most likely a problem for the $40 game
>>
>>27139926
I think that GO is doing all it needs to do. The App is making gamefreak a shit ton of money which is nice but consider this. When's the last times you saw pokemon in the news THIS often?

Sun and Moon are going to probably sell extremely well. 3ds/2ds are cheaper than ever and brand awareness is higher than ever. This holiday season a ton of people are going to pick it up.

But ultimately no handheld game can compete with a free game that uses one device nearly everyone in the modern era already owns. But GO is making money off of people who checked out of pokemon decades ago, or never even checked in to begin with.
>>
>>27139926
Sun and Moon are mainline core games

Go is a offshoot casual spinoff

Why compare the two, seriously why

What's wrong with you
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.