[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was Pokemon Go crazy. Until now. I love Pokemon for the little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (418 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
418 KB, 640x1136
I was Pokemon Go crazy. Until now. I love Pokemon for the little community and the dedicated fans, but it's become a social media craze with people trying to trump one another. We can't even keep our favorites strong because even stronger ones appear. It's not Pokemon. It's a rip off made to appeal to everyone else. Basically an NX promo. Nintendo's shares skyrocket, and Nintendo becomes relevant in every newsfeed and timeline. We all had fun, well I can't say that. I had fun, playing and battling and training. I understand that I can just delete the app and be done with it, but then I feel like I've betrayed my roots and my lifestyle. I was always mocked and called nerdy for loving Pokemon, but now those same people are running around looking for Pokemon saying how great it is. I love Pokemon. That's why I was adamant about joining a team and becoming a Pokemon master. But now this... This game has consumed everyone just to be another craze because of cute creatures and AR. Sorry for my 2 cents. Goodnight.
>>
Let it all out OP
>>
You are experiencing a common thing fans of something a little bit niche go through when something they like becomes popular.

You probably got picked on in school for liking pokemon at some point, and that made you feel like you 'earned' the right to enjoy pokemon.

And you put a huge part of your identity into enjoying pokemon, you probably even have like, posters or your desktop, or figurines or stuffed dolls of pokemon here and there. Maybe a tattoo or a piece of clothing you like to wear. Something like that that tells everyone, "I like pokemon, by the way"

And now that everyone likes pokemon, your piece of identity is meaningless, you have suddenly went from an individual who likes pokemon to normal, the same as everyone else.

Well, you can either be salty that other people are enjoying the thing you enjoy...

Or you can realise this means we are going to be getting more pokemon stuff to enjoy in the future, which probably means it will be way easier to get pokemon related paraphenelia.

Stuffed charmander? Suddenly easy to find in stores all over. Trainer style clothing? Suddenly cool again. Acrylic replica badges? Easy to find. Wanna watch pokemon? Oh shit netflix just put up all the latest seasons!

So you can be salty, or rejoice that your interest got popular and will explode in supply, and now you have something to talk about with people you meet.
>>
>>27116351
>I was always mocked and called nerdy for loving Pokemon
>>27116439
>You probably got picked on in school for liking pokemon at some point
This actually happens? Do you live in a TV show?
>>
>>27116602
I didn't play pokemon much growing up, I only got into it a few years ago as an adult. Picked up and played every gen from first to last.

But I remember the autistic kids in high school who were covered in pimples and couldn't hold a conversation that got picked on, and yeah a lot of them had gameboys and played pokemon.

Did I resent them or pick on them myself? No. Did I see them get picked on? Yeah.

A lot like those emo lolrandom kids who liked jack skelington and dressed in black and got picked on for being different, then years later suddenly nightmare before christmas was cool and hip and I knew a guy who resented anyone he saw wearing anything involving it.

He had built a chunk of his identity around that thing and seeing it suddenly become popular meant that piece of his identity was washed away.

tl;dr: Don't base your identity around material things, because you are fucked if something compromises that. Instead, base your identity around you yourself.
>>
>>27116602
if you were born in the late 80s early 90s
>>
>>27116649
'89, never happened to me in my life.
>>
>>27116661
Were you an autistic fuck who had trouble talking to girls during high school, and you sat at a table in the lunch area all break with your one or two equally autistic friends playing gameboy?

If not, you aren't the type of person we are talking about, but every school had them.
>>
>>27116439

>Pokemon
>Niche

Pick one
>>
>>27116679
If less than 10% of people are hardcore fans of a thing, I'd call it niche.

And I'd say at a party less than 10% of people could tell you their favourite pokemon from anything past gen 2. And over 90% of people if you asked them their favorite pokemon it'd just be something from gen 1 everyone knows like charmander or pikachu.
>>
>>27116602
>>27116661
'94 here, happened to me because I live in a shitty little town in the biblebelt. The "cool" kids would act like they're better than us nerdy types that liked pokemon, and there was one pokemon friend of mine whose mom was ridiculously religious and thought that pokemon was corrupting children to commit violence against animals and each other.

Turns out, several of the bullies I knew are in prison for assault and rape and me and my old friends are still doing great in college. I don't know if they still play or not since we don't talk to much anymore but I see college kids take their 3DSes onto campus and I'm too self-conscious to play anywhere but at home.
>>
>>27116351
>pokemon
>little community

you dumb fuck
>>
>>27116678
can confirm that. Yes it exists, it was WAY more common than the opposite in my school. and in high school it was even worse.

This being said, leaving something because others like it is just as stupid.
>>
>>27116861
Taht's the funny thing with pokemon, HUGE community but somehow people still make fun of you for it. I guess it's kind of like a guilty pleasure for theses people.
>>
Dont worry about it, in a month or two at most everyone will have quit by now because only dedicated people will hold and take gyms.
Once you can gank people in duels they will all ragequit when your 50000000 cp magikarp splashes their whole team to death.
>>
>>27116351
Anon. That's life I'm afraid. Everything's a cycle of fads that surge in popularity with so called normals. And I understand where you're coming from. Being a Pokemon fan is part of your personal identity but here's the thing. You aren't Pokemon and Pokemon isn't you. Yes you could look at it as though your personal space is being invaded by a horde of people who made your life miserable or you could look at it as the start of a silver age of popularity for something you enjoy. So what if a lot of people will drop Go once the next dad comes along. You've gained a cool casual game you can play that will see some support and some people who have picked up Go will stick with the franchise as a whole again.

The same thing happened in the comics scene when the MCU launched and truth be told there were two sorts of responses fans could make, either embrace the new fans and be happy something niche you enjoy is generating so much enjoyment in the world or become more and more insular, driving away new potential fans because they've not been through the hard times.
>>
>>27116351
It wouldn't be so bad if Go was actually good. It's been a massive disappointment so far.
>>
>>27116921
Although the MCU had it worse; there is no reason to think that the main pokemon games will change as hell because of that and both can exist at the sad time. The MCU wasn't so lucky
>>
>>27116957
Then most people wouldn't play it. It's as simple as that. it wouldn't have the "on the fly" aspect that go has. Only the most "hardcore" would remain, which isn't the goal, so yeah, the two are hardly compatible
>>
>>27116439
nah, pokemon's always been pretty popular. It is quite easy to find pokemon related stuff anywhere, and I say that because I live in a shitty brazillian town that hardly have anything I want to buy, but I still find pokemon related products pretty easily. I think pokemon fans are mad because the game is kind of shitty and the ultra hype is kind of a turn off.
>>
File: Lazarus.gif (2 MB, 299x299) Image search: [Google]
Lazarus.gif
2 MB, 299x299
>>27116351
>I was always mocked and called nerdy for loving Pokemon, but now those same people are running around looking for Pokemon saying how great it is. I love Pokemon
I feel you, man. It's all I'm seeing on my newsfeeds nowadays.

>Legit valley girl complaining about not catching a Snorlax on snapchat earlier tonight
I really don't know how to feel about this, man.
>>
I can't wait till some normie hikers hatch enough eggs to fill their pokedex first and achieve max cp. /vp/ confirmed for suicide watch soon
>>
>>27117031
there's popular and popular. You will find Naruto stuff quite easily. It doesn't mean that everyone and your grandmother is watching it.
>>
>>27116756
That what you get for living in America. I bet you also have cool kid tables and clap when the plane lands
>>
>>27116749
>And over 90% of people if you asked them their favorite pokemon it'd just be something from gen 1 everyone knows like charmander or pikachu.
I've played every generation over the past 18 years and 3 of my 4 favorites are from Gen 1. My last favorite is from Gen 3. This makes me feel like I have to prove myself as a pokemon fan.

Oh well. Not like I'll have to get in a dick measuring contest with anyone about this.

On an unrelated note, I work with junior high students and my decent knowledge of the series has helped quite a bit with the nerdier types.
>>
>>27116351
>le pokemon is le for le kids
Where do you live to have such shitty normies around, anon?
>>
>>27116749
By any standards I've seen around here, less than 10% of fans of anything are hardcores.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.