[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are different evolutions in the same family considered to be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 1465970764565.jpg (39 KB, 270x152) Image search: [Google]
1465970764565.jpg
39 KB, 270x152
Are different evolutions in the same family considered to be different pokemon, or are all members of an evolution line the same pokemon that just go by a different name?
>>
>>27100364
They're different Pokemon altogether. You can tell because the species ***generally*** changes.
>>
>>27100364
Likely the second one, like how we call Caterpillars Caterpillars and Butterflies Butterflies, instead of calling Caterpillars "Butterfly Larvae" or something.
>>
>>27100364
If the latter, would that count for Pokémon that are related by doesn't evolve into each other? Like Volbeat and Illumise?
>>
>>27100400
But then what happens to say a charmander when it evolves into charmeleon? Its still the same individual, the only thing different about it is that its appearance and stats have changed changed. It didnt disappear and then get replaced by a new creature, its the same pokemon.

>>27100405
Would that mean that there aren't actually 721 pokemon, just 721 different evolutions? Does that make evolutions more like permanent formes?
>>
>>27100503
>its the same pokemon
Only if you nickname it
>>
>>27100634
So it disintegrates and from the ethereal comes a fresh new monster to replace it, all of which coincidentally happens to occur under the same conditions every single time for each species? All unless you give it a nickname, in which case it just evolves into a pokemon which is coincidental exactly the same as the one it would have been replaced with if you hadn't nicknamed it?

I find that hard to believe. Mostly because its just a stupid thing to say
>>
>>27100405
The same thing happens with tadpoles and frogs. This is probably the right answer--they just change forms enough as they evolve to be considered FUNCTIONALLY different Pokemon.
>>
I just assumed 'evolution' was being used in the same way that scientists generally use it: that they become a totally new species worthy of a new taxonomy. In the real world a creature evolves enough to be different than its predecessors but not different enough for a new name like a giraffe elongating its neck, but in the case of most pokemon they become something so different that it requires a new taxonomy. So that Charmeleon is not the same pokemon as that Charmander. That Charmander is an ancestor at that point, just with a more immediate time gap.
>>
>>27100810
But then it would have to be its own ancestor, which didn't make sense. Its still the same individual pokemon
>>
>>27100707
That's how it works in Digimon.
>>
>>27100858
Why does it have to be its own ancestor? I'm saying the Charmander in the example goes through evolution and a new species, a Charmeleon, results.
>>
>>27100503
>there aren't actually 721 Pokemon
Correct. They are still the same Pokemon when they evolve. This is why when they give birth, it's to the "larval" form of their species, instead of their current species. The process isn't actually evolution, it's metamorphosis, closer to that shown in butterflies and frogs.

In fact, many Pokedex entries will actually back this up, stating that it is in fact the same species as before, just with something changed. Slowbro's entry typically still calls it Slowpoke, because it's formed a symbiotic relationship with a shellder, not changed to a new creature entirely. Likewise for Magneton with reference to the original magnemites that made it up, or the eeveelutions that specifically refer to it as an Eevee exposed to [THING].
>>
Aren't ALL Pokemon just variant forms of the same species?
I know it's said directly somewhere or other, but I don't think it was a main game. I know the main games definitely imply this though.
>>
>>27100920
But then its not actually evolution, more like maturing or going through a form change. One species can't just transform into another species midway through its life
>>
>>27100364

Christ you autists, it's the same individual but it changes its pokemon species, its body. Like the Doctor regenerating or something.
>>
>>27100810
>>27100920
Pokemon evolution is more akin to metamorphosis, not actual evolution
>>
Just fyi I did a quick count and if you don't include evolutions as different species then the are only 365 species of pokemon, or 366 if you don't count diancie as an "evolution" of carbink, rather than 721
>>
>>27101354
Can't ever recall having heard this. But it would make sense considering Pokeball's affect all pokemon.
Also Mew has the DNA of all Pokemon. So they're at least connected through it.
>>
>>27100405
Now I want to know how many pokemon there are counting different stages as one species
>>
>>27100364
>>27100405
They're the same Pokemon. That's why a Charizard gives birth to a Charmander egg and not a Charizard egg. A Charizard is simply a fully grown Charmander.
>>
>>27102374
377, including what we seen of gen 7 so far, and counting Mew and Mewtwo as one. If I'm haven't make any mistake
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.