[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you shocked by how popular pokemon Go is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 18
File: wtff.gif (1 MB, 320x289) Image search: [Google]
wtff.gif
1 MB, 320x289
Are you shocked by how popular pokemon Go is?
>>
>>27094696
no
>>
>>27094696
yes
>>
>>27094696
Yes, but it's a good thing. Nothing wrong with more people enjoying Pokémon.
>>
Ironic spamming is still spamming.
>>
I don't know
>>
>>27094696
Maybe
>>
Not really.

Everyone has a Smartphone combine with the fact that Pokemon is popular.
>>
Yes. My brother keeps calling to me tell me about his progress. When I was on the phone with him, he was outside playing it, and someone else walked up and they both started talking about Pokemon Go together I could hear the conversation on the phone. I thought the people playing the game would be the same people who play the 3DS games but it's much bigger than that.
>>
>>27094771
I wish they could enjoy ALL of Pokemon though. Most of GO's enjoyment comes from only catching the iconic original 151. Once the new Gens are added, some of these players might quit because they're too unfamiliar with new Pokemon.
>>
>>27094696
Shocked as how as your pic related isn't in the latest album

I miss you, Tom
>>
File: 1283830576694.jpg (131 KB, 493x503) Image search: [Google]
1283830576694.jpg
131 KB, 493x503
Yes.

Granted, I knew it would be very, very popular. Pokemon is inherently popular, and now that its on something that people actually have, they're able to play, too. But even my super religious friend who absolutely hates video games, like seems to genuinely REVILE them and was upset when her parents let her brother get a DS in high school, literally asked me a month ago why in the world I still played Pokemon, is so into it that she convinced her husband to play because she wanted him to come with her around town to catch stuff. Even my parents are playing. When its so popular that those types of people get swept up in it, yes, I would say it exceeded my expectations of how popular Pokemon GO would be.
>>
Wait for Niantic added Pokémon from last 3 gens, and literally 95% of newfags uninstall the game
>>
>>27094854
Not hating on normies, but statistically, most people will quit just because the fad and hype will die down, and adding new Pokemon won't get a lot of those people back.

The people who are actually playing the game likely will just be excited that there are new Pokemon around.
>>
>>27094696
When I heard how horrible the beta test went, I was worried and thought it would bomb.

But it's fucking exploding here. I dont think anyone here certainly expected it to do well, and most definitely no one here predicted it would erupt at the magnitude that it had.

The hype will die down, that is for sure, but it's going to be a long time until that happens.

Once people start filling up their pokedex, then you can assume that people will stop playing, especially with a shitty battle system, no trading, and no breeding. People will get bored once they have caught them all.
>>
>>27094898
Most people will quit once they realize how few 151 really is, then they will either slink away in shame, too proud to admit that they want pokemon beyond 151, or else join the proper pokemon fandom.
>>
>>27094864
>Pikachu
>circle omega

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>27094696
No, is obvious will be a shock, is a free to play and everyone will play it.
>>
honestly yeah, i am surprised at how big it has become

i have no problem with more people becoming re-interested in pokemon, and so far i haven't encountered anyone being a genwunner dick about stuff

although earlier some guy (who was also playing) passed by as me and my friend were on a bench in DC fighting a gym and said something like "we're in this beautiful place and we're all on our phones"

didn't really get his point because he was playing too, and if you live in NoVA the national mall isn't difficult to visit. i just know this shitty "muh increased phone usage" attitude can only get worse with the game's popularity
>>
No, I'm not dense.
>>
I thought it'd be popular, but not this popular. Its kind of a mixed bag because on one hand, its getting the general public more interested in pokemon, but on the other hand, all the fucking trend hoppers are talking about it now.
It makes me want to kill myself watching my douchebag highschool quarterback tweet about how much he loves pokemon when he sneers and mocks people who play it at school.

>Inb4 underage
I'm 18
>>
File: spongebob1.jpg (18 KB, 228x320) Image search: [Google]
spongebob1.jpg
18 KB, 228x320
Not really but I wish all these newfags understood what a general is and would just post their dumb shit in there
>>
>>27094974
You don't need a general for this game, stop spamming this. ORAS didn't need a general, BW2 didn't need a general, HGSS didn't need a general, we have never needed a general for new games. I hope you dipshits aren't going to be here to tell us S&M needs a fucking general.
>>
>>27095083
Do you know the reason why Pokemon has its own board? Why generals exist?
>>
>>27095083
He's mad GO is by far the most popular pokemon related thing at this point in time
>>
>>27094959
ayyy NoVa represent. I didn't go to the mall event though, just walked around in my town with some friends.
>>
>>27095125
lmao just realized I still had name on from other thread
>>
>>27094854
>>27094874
I for one welcome the idea of the thinning out of genwunners.
>>
>>27094696
it's a freemium app. no wonder it became popular amongts impulsive buyers.
>>
Yall acting like New pokemon will scare away casual players.

The Shallow gameplay overtime will likely drop players
>>
>>27095125
well if you get a chance you should head into DC, there's one area with at least 3 pokestops on each block. it's crazy

and people plant lures left and right next to big monuments and statues, definitely recommend

saw some guys just sitting in the grass by the white house with battery chargers and gallon cases of water, made me lol
>>
>>27094758
>>27094745
>>27094779
>>27094774
Can you repeat the question?
>>
I'm surprised with how popular it is with normies who haven't played since Gen II.

I was one of those types of people until I got to college and was convinced to buy White and White2, but I've been solidly playing ever since.

Now, all of a sudden, Go comes out and my friends from elementary school who stopped playing when I did and never restarted are playing and loving this game! Even my college friends who hated how big Pokemon was in our friend group are playing.

I guess when it's free and it's nostalgic...
>>
>>27095083
>ORAS, BW2, HGSS, SM
If you think any of those have equal value to GO, then you're the dipshit here. The mainline games are what made Pokemon what it is today, and were ultimately responsible for this board. There's loads of content to discuss in all of those, and all of those affect every aspect of Pokemon like the anime, Mystery Dungeon, and competitive battle.
GO hasn't added anything to the series; in fact, that's what people suspect will be the reason for its popularity to eventually die.

Despite that, ORAS and XY in a way have their own generals with the wifi, injector, and safari zone generals in a way, posting trade, inject, or safari requests outside of those is discouraged here.

If the anime fags, Mystery Dungeon fags, Pokken fags, Shuffle fags and whatnot fags stay in their own damn general, I don't see a reason for GO not to.

>>27095101
If that were true then I wouldn't be playing it myself, otherwise I'd be a hypocrite.
>>
>>27095554
>GO hasn't added anything to the series
Are you retarded?
>>
surprisingly yes, considering this was posted at my work
I work at a hospital btw
>>
>>27095635
ok, not sure why it was flipped
>>
>>27095619
> loads of content
Context you idiot. GO's content is next to nothing compared to every mainline game.
>>
>>27094696
Everybody is.

Anybody who knew could have just invested in Nintendo and would be rich by now.

Most people didn't even know about the game before it hit the top of the app store. People who are already into pokemon knew but we all thought it would suck. I don't think the general population even knew pokemon still existed.

It is literally a phenomenon right now.
>>
>>27095713
But that's irrelevant. For what it is, it's insanely popular and what people clearly want to discuss. People love going around and seeing pokemon on their phone in the real world. Everything else is meaningless.
>>
How ironic is it that the thing that this entire board shit on collectively is what made people return its magic on the mainstream?
>>
Totally. My facebook feed is 90% people posting about it, and it's getting old fast. Even people who I thought weren't pokemon fans are posting about it.
I participated in the field test last month and quickly found out that my phone is too shitty to run it. I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much though. It seems to be the most time-consuming pokemon game ever, and I ain't got time to waste running around catching geodude and zubat for the 400th time.
>>
>>27095785
it's hilarious to me how this game was almost entirely shit-on/ignored by this board throughout its development and now that it's out everybody and their grandma is going insane about it
>>
>>27095785
This is VP, remember?
>>
Yes. I popped a lure module today in front of a closed business and had about 10 different cars and 2 walking passer byes come up to use it.

Also there is a sweet spot on main street here that is a gazebo that has 2 lure modules overlap each other. There were about 15 of us hanging out there. It felt good to see other people out on the streets again. Also my buddy asked out loud if anyone was under the age of 20, we were not.
>>
>>27095772
>But that's irrelevant
but it is, if there's a minuscule content then there is little to discuss, which means you don't need half the damn catalog to discuss it!
>>
I'm not surprised by how many people have downloaded it, but I'm surprised by how much the game is keeping people occupied.

It's a little something extra to do when i'm running errands, but people in the Go threads seem to be more absorbed into this thing than they would be a mainline pokemon game.
>>
over the age of 12 playing pokemon on a ds look at that loser ..playing pokemon go on your mobile phone ....i hate this world
>>
I honestly believe there are some GOposters just posting new threads out of spite

Either way, this GOflood is shit
>>
Given that it's free and widely accessible? Not to mention it plays on nostalgia? Not at all. I will be surprised if it's half this popular a month from now, though, or when they add the Gen 2's.
>>
Kind of. I didn't really care about it, and it just was suddenly released.
I don't have any problems with it, either. Besides the fact that every normie is playing it and I, as a Pokemon fan, cannot, because shitty phone.
And the fact that it's cancer for /vp/.
>>
>>27094854
From what I know they will be pushing out the newer gen later, they are also adding trading and such soon. If they really had everything at once the servers would be more dead then a black man in a suburban neighborhood.
>>
I give it another week or two before people return to being lazy fucks and stop playing. Hell, there are already people getting banned for being too lazy to walk around now.
>>
>>27094696
>talking to girl at work
>few weeks ago she brings up someone on her facebook feed being a sperg about pokemon
>mentions that the game's for little kids and he should have grown out of it by this point
>cut to pokemon go coming out
>she asks if i've played it
>being the master at hiding my power level that i am, i said no and pretended i wasn't bust just now catching a mankey in the bathroom
>she's interested in playing it
>half of the kitchen staff is now running around with their phones catching growlithes and shit
it's like i've stepped into the fucking twilight zone
>>
>>27095182
Yes please.
>>
>>27094696
Not at all, it was obvious that something that panders this much to normalfag genwunners would be extremely popular. I'm just worried about the future of the series.
>>
>>27094696
I'll be surprised if it remains popular for long. Once people's nostalgia for the original 151 fades will they actually want to keep playing. Does a person who only played pokemon in their childhood really care about catching an Absol based soley on its design?

Hell even people who are enthused enough about the franchise to post on a board dedicated to pokemon complain about how many of them there are.
>>
>>27094974
Then make a general for furfagottry or fake leak spamming.
It's like you've never been on /vp/ before.
>>
>live in shitty town
>Location failed
>Absolutely nothing on map unless I drive 35 minutes into the city

I wasn't going to play much anyway regardless because I'd rather wait for SM.
>>
>>27095635
hahah that's fucking funny. Reminds me of when anything pokemon was banned when I was in elementary school.
>>
File: image.png (3 MB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 MB, 1242x2208
>>27095220
Try a theme park like Disneyland if you want to see crazy
>>
Is it true that certain type can only be found in certain places? For example water types by water Ghost types maybe in Cems. Only water type i found was a Horsea in my bathtub how they know where my bathtub is?
>>
File: 1468158345339.jpg (15 KB, 279x284) Image search: [Google]
1468158345339.jpg
15 KB, 279x284
>>27094959
>tfw my friend won't play Go with us because he feels like he shouldn't be staring at his phone all the time
You can just use the vibrate option.
>>
>>27098373
I was just down at the shoreline boardwalk in my city and it was water Pokemon city, caught 5 squirtles
>>
Yes. Even in a shithole of a Lithuania there's gym takeovers happening before my eyes. Even some of my friends installed it (never thought they even knew what pokemon are).
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-11-07-12-33.png (762 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-11-07-12-33.png
762 KB, 1080x1920
Eevie and weedles in the ghetto and whatever the fuck that bone thing is
>>
>>27098373

Kek
>>
>>27094696
Mildly.
>>
No, but I'll be surprised if people are still playing it this much next week. It's just a gimmick fad that people are jumping on
>>
>>27098424
>can't recognize Abra
The fuck, man?
>>
>>27098350
it's funny, but it does make sense in a hospital and other such facilities. Rather not have people walking around playing PoGo in hazardous environments.
>>
>>27094696
Yeah. My 100% normie sister told me about it before I had seen anything about it. . I hadn't been playing any pokemon games or browsing this board. This has gone mainstream af. People love pokemon but the new hand held games just aren't able to capture much of the old fanbase especially considering most adults don't own a Nintendo. Everyone has a phone though . Also there are millions of pokemon now and that is shit. The franchise needed to branch out from the standard generational hand held bs.
>>
>>27094696
yes, but i give it 2 weeks top to die down
>>
>>27098539
>not farming gastlys during surgery and getting a gengar as soon as possible
>>
>>27098386
How to enable vibrate? Also if I turn my phone screen off and back on the game says it lost gps signal everytime so I don't know if I can even catch them with the screen off.
>>
>>27095834
>VP
fuck off newfag
>>
>>27094898
Ninty better hurry up, because people aren't going to wait more than a month or two before they abandon this. It isn't the 90s, where they can take their time and wait 2 damn years to add new Pokemon.
>>
>>27094696
>tfw it's 7 am and I haven't slept since yesterday and about to go back outside
>>
>>27094696
>genwun only
>free

no one should be surprised
>>
>>27098559
The game won't work if it's in sleep mode, you can turn on options on the settings menu.
Battery saver and vibrate are there. You may also need to turn on vibrate on your phone.
>>
>>27098706
It's too fun. I've been out and walked 30km since launch.
>>
My entire university is filled with them lures.
>>
>>27094696
Not surprised, only disgusted
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 500x385
>>27094696
A bit, yes.

I didn't expect many in England to play it until release, but I was litterpicking at work and the IT guys were walking along the path all cheering and laughing about trying to catch a Zubat. One asked if I played - the older one who doesn't play - and I said yes, he told me to get it my phone and catch it.

>mfw there's a gym at the school across the road but not even a pokestop at the school I work at
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 410x462) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 410x462
This game in a nutshell: https://youtu.be/ZUbkOiHru2U
>>
I like how everyone just wanders around looking down at their phone like a faggot, oblivious to how queer they look playing a child's game and walking around in public throwing their imaginary pokeballs at imaginary pokemon while real people watch them and wonder how autistic they are.
>>
>>27098794
Nice memefrog newfriend
>>
>>27098818
We prefer the term Facebook Frog.
>>
>>27095247
What meme are you spouting?
>>
>>27094854
Who the fuck cares? Original 151 are the best.
>>
I was heading down to the city with my mates to go to an exhibition and as we were waiting for the train to arrive the most disgusting overweight chris-chan looking autist walked down onto the station making bird noises while staring at his phone and occasionally touching his pikachu necklace. We made sure to get onto a different carriage to this specimen but it wasn't enough, we could hear his bird screeching every time the train was at a standstill.
>>
Yes. I never played Pokémon and im now kinda playing go. What do i do after a catch a little bugger. How do i get to level 5 so i can battle?

Dear god help
>>
>>27098848
lol yeah dude I love catching Pidgey and Rattata over and over again. Their designs are so original and creative.
>>
>>27094696
No, but I am shocked that people who made fun of me in middle school for being a "nerd" (still playing Pokémon) are also playing it. We're all out of college now.

I want them to leave. Waiting for more gens to release so they abandon ship.
>>
>>27094696
Resistance bro here. I told you guys from the start.
Even when the details started emerging and you all started doubting.
>>
File: ss (2016-07-11 at 01.01.21).png (105 KB, 814x605) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-07-11 at 01.01.21).png
105 KB, 814x605
>>27094696
Holy fuck yes. It's making so much money and it's only been out for a couple days. Holy shit.
>>
>>27101963
fug should have investing in them and made a good buck
>>
>>27098848
>Original 251 are the best.
ft4u
>>
>>27101963
I hate microtransactions most times, but I've m-maybe spent a few dollars here and there buying lure modules to keep the party going in big gathering spots...
>>
>>27094696
No, it's a free mobile app.
>>
>>27094696

Yeah, but it's not a bad thing.

Everyone who I work with is playing it. We all work right next to a Poke Stop so sometimes everyone meets up there to show off their massive Poke Cock. It's a lot of fun and I'm making friends with it.
>>
>>27102139
but the signal is low
>>
File: EDGE.jpg (20 KB, 198x255) Image search: [Google]
EDGE.jpg
20 KB, 198x255
Human beings are so predictable, and as such, the amount of mindless drones that this game has amassed does not surprise me in the least. In fact, nothing surprising me anymore. It'll be forgotten in due time.
>>
>>27104130
the cringe
>>
>>27098684
Most phone games push out relatively frequent events/updates in order to keep people hooked, yeah - in a lot of cases once every couple weeks.

If they follow that route though, most likely they will update with a handful of new mons as opposed to a full dex every time.
>>
I knew it would be popular but I didn't expect so many normies to pick it up. The ones I talked to don't even play the main series.
>>
>>27094854
Or they will be excited about all the new pokes they can catch.
>>
>>27094696

Yes, I am actually.
>>
>>27104560
I want to blow my brains out,

I hate all these normies that now all suddenly love pokemon.
I want my old life back this is like some sort of sick social experiment.

I want my waifus back. I feel cheated on by normalfags. Pokemon is no longer fun for me
>>
I'm shocked to know people are shocked one of the most popular game franchises is popular.
>>
>>27095182
Same.
It was nice getting to meet people that actually know about the game, and not just people trying to follow the new fad.
>>
>>27095815
I love wasting time with all the normies qt 3.14 grills who are playing now
>>
>>27095247
You're not the boss of me now
>>
File: feel 2.jpg (54 KB, 571x477) Image search: [Google]
feel 2.jpg
54 KB, 571x477
>>27105302
>>
>>27105302
Boo fucking hoo
>>
>>27105302
The "muh sekrit club" meme doesn't work with something as popular as Pokemon, fattie.
>>
>>27098848
>Said every tasteless nostalgia faggot
>>
File: 1348675588210.png (194 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1348675588210.png
194 KB, 720x404
You know what would be really cool? If you could challenge other people to battles and it played out like in the games.
>>
>>27106053
>>27106027
Honestly, fuck off normies
>>
Already told all my normie facebook friends about /vp/

Enjoy.
>>
I'm fucking tired of news sites writing about how this game is so popular because it's 'getting nerds out of heir mother's basement'.

Fuck you too I live upstairs.
>>
>>27105997
>>
File: ihope.png (65 KB, 232x303) Image search: [Google]
ihope.png
65 KB, 232x303
No, but I'm still mad.

The franchise is going to be fucking ruined further than it already is if the game doesn't die quickly.
>>
>>27094696
no, but I am shocked by how few people use the catalog
>>
I'm more surprised so many people who live in my town play Pokemon.
>>
>>27106121
>>
>>27106163
>being this much bothered

Pokemon deserves to be taken away for crybabies like you
>>
>>27106319
Fuck off normie.
You're the only one who doesn't deserve to play pokemon.
>>
Yes, a lot. I'm happy to see everyone playing GO, to see Pokémon on the news worldwide, to see people having fun. I just wish I could play it too (shit phone with 4.1 that cannot be rooted with a better android version, thanks LG, also GO is not on my country yet)

I also really want to see GO with the other gens, and I hope people like them too. I mean, they're not kids growing up anymore. There's no stigma with liking pokémon after some age.
>>
>>27106230
And you're not so biiiiig
>>
>>27106409
>someone doesnt agree with me
>b-better call him normie

Hahaha
>>
>>27106409
>muh normie meme
So what ASD do you have?
>>
>>27098848
I hear you, I just couldnt get past second gen, I dont think I lost interest in pokemon, but most everything afterwards seemed contrived, still watch the first season, read the first comics whatnot.
>>
File: 1277519466428.jpg (87 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1277519466428.jpg
87 KB, 640x480
Yes.

>mfw I was spamming how shit it would be less than a month ago.
>>
No, but I hope it doesn't become some sort of staple that affects the main games in any way.
>>
>>27094696
I am shocked by how boring and bare bones it is.
>>
>>27102020
>>Original 251 are the best.

qft
>>
>>27094696
Scared mainly. It's a fun game, but feels really basic. I'm worried this basic gameplay will leak over onto the mainline series
>>
>>27094945
it is ぴ
>>
>>27095914
What even is there to discuss?
>hurr durr i found a rattata
>me too pokemon is fun again
>they shouldn''t add gen 2 pokemon because they all look retarded
>>
Not really. Pokémon has always been a huge thing even if it has dwindled from time to time
>>
>>27094696
I'll be more shocked by how quickly it dies
>>
>>27109304
Most normies i've met want gen 2 added don't know why though maybe they are still kind of familiar with some gen 2 pokemon like Noctowl, tyrannitar, leges and edgyscizor
>>
>>27108782
It is shit, but normies don't play pokemon so they think its amazing
>>
My mom asked me about it today. It was pretty cringeworthy considering she barely knows what pokemon is.
>>
>>27094696
Not really, but I was surprised by the fact that at least 300 people in my small ass city in Lithuania already play this game. Even followed a gang of girls that looked about 12-14 and they played it.
>>
Pokemon Go?

More like Pokemon Normie
>>
>>27095785
Not ironic at all. We're fans who appreciate all the creatures that form this franchise while people playing go are fans plus casuals and posers with nostalgic feelings that have the potential to rediscover the series and turn into fans or drop it as the fad dies.
>>
Fucking drink bleach you Post Gen 2 hating normie faggots.
>>
File: Sainglain.jpg (140 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Sainglain.jpg
140 KB, 1280x720
>>27094696
I am not shocked by the fact its popular. I am shocked by the fact now /vp/ and /v/ all of a sudden became social people and normies. They also claimed that mobile games were shit and muh real games blah blah blah, but they seem to be okay with this one.
Cherrypicking and hypocritical to the very end.
>>
>>27098424
holy hell it's an abra you knave
>>
File: image.png (90 KB, 310x558) Image search: [Google]
image.png
90 KB, 310x558
>>27094864
>le religious people hate Pokemon maymay

Protestants are the biggest meme religion and no one takes their hatred of fun seriously.
>>
File: no go.jpg (153 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
no go.jpg
153 KB, 900x1200
>>27095635
Wait a minute, that sign...
Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.