[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Pokemon Go spurred my interest to get back into the franchise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vp/ - Pokemon

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 37709.jpg (108 KB, 700x617) Image search: [Google]
37709.jpg
108 KB, 700x617
So Pokemon Go spurred my interest to get back into the franchise but not Pokemon GO, namely games I missed out on.

Played the first two gens to death and was looking for something after that. Been reading a bit on Pokemon Ultra Violet and was intrigued by the idea of a game being complete in having all the Pokemon and not missing out on exclusives available to other versions.

How is Pokemon Ultra Violet? Also what sets of stats/variables does it use for the Pokemon's ATK/DEF etc. Does it have a new set or does it take them from older generations?
>>
How about playing the official games first?
>>
>>27088074
First two gens I've done. I'll be honest Ruby and Sapphire didn't hold my interest, I played a bit of Fire Red and enjoyed that and Ultra Violet is just mod of that.
With this version I'd have the capacity to get all Pokemon without having to trade and stuff I believe, on paper it's what I want. Just wanting to know if the game works well and what stats it inherited.
>>
>>27088074

Basically this.

Why fuck around with shitty romhacks when you still have several professionally made games to try? Gen 4 and 5 are both really good (though I'd avoid D/P and go straight to Plat).
>>
>>27088527
This.

Platinum is so well polished and has a lot of good content and is probably the best place to start, if you want something new.

Or, you can blast through HG/SS for dat nostalgia.

Finally, if you don't want to feel alienated from the current generation, give yourself a run through of ORAS (Gen 3 remakes) and start up where you left off.

Welcome back, anon
>>
>>27088022
Play pokemon Platinum, HGSS, B/W, B/W2, X or Y, and ORAS before you get into romhacks. Romhacks are generally not good games. They are merely passable, and serve to quench pokethirst between releases. You are lucky enough to have a selection of pokemon games to play that are just as good as actual pokemon games, so take advantage of it.
>>
>>27088022
I love ROMhacks but you should play the vanilla games before playing any hacks.

Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, BW1, and BW2 are all must-plays. Gen VI sucks but if you're a completionist you should play that too.
>>
>>27088022
I'm pretty much the same as OP, but I quit after Gen 4 because I didn't really like any of the new Pokemon designs, graphics and everything in general.

Should I skip to White/Black or even White/Black 2, try Plat, HG or SS, or any other suggestions?
>>
>>27088812
If you only played DP, definitely try Platinum, it's possible you were just in a "I hate Pokémon, it's for babies/it ran out of ideas" phase when you first played it.

HGSS is a better version of GSC in all but graphics and music (in my opinion; I know some people who prefer Gen 4 graphics to Gen 2).

The Unova games are hugely polarizing, you'll either love them or hate them, but not that many people dislike Gen 4 (besides DP, lots of people dislike DP) so it's a safer bet.
>>
>>27088596
This
>>
>>27088939
Looking up the prices of the games and holy shit they're expensive. Does Nintendo only do like one printing run of these games and then never print anymore? These games aren't even 10 years old and they go for like $150 if you want the case and manual.
>>
If you're intrigued by getting all mons in the game try the Dreyano rom hacks for HGSS, BW, and B2W2.
>>
>>27089062
I would really recommend getting a flashcart if the price is the issue. Then you can just download the games and use romhacks on the DS. Also you won't give into those insane prices for used games. It's not like you're stealing anything considering the used versions don't profit Nintendo or Gamefreak.
>>
File: scrafty vs conkeldurr.jpg (655 KB, 1027x1081) Image search: [Google]
scrafty vs conkeldurr.jpg
655 KB, 1027x1081
>>27088812

My personal recommendation is BW. Check out my wall of text and see if it sounds like your kind of game.

IMO B/W and B/W2 are some of the best games in the series. If you're coming fresh from Gen 3 with a bit of Gen 4 experience then some of the new systems might take a bit of getting used to but once you do you should find that you have the opportunity to use more creative strategies than the old '4 attack moves or maybe one that boosts stats'.
One thing you might not like is that no older pokemon are available until after the credits roll. Personally I found this very refreshing but this is coming from a long-time fan of the series and I'm not sure whether you'd find it disillusioning instead (some complain that it 'doesn't feel like a pokemon game).
The difficulty curve is leagues better than any of the offerings from gen 6, most gyms are genuinely challenging and the final two battles of the main game are some of the toughest pre-credits fights games the series has to offer. The plot is edgetastic and full of anime cliches but for the series its easily the best you're going to get.
If that sounds good, then play BW first. BW2 is essentially an expansion, though IMO it is the overall better game.

If you do want to try Gen 4 again first then Platinum is an excellent choice. It's the best version of probably the most interesting region for an exploratory sense. A lot of the new pokes in Gen 4 are very cool too, and you get plenty of old species to work with too. D/P's main issue was that they were plagued with slow battle speeds, Plat solves this problem.
HGSS will also work, with the added benefit that you'll be reintroducing yourself to the series with a setting that you're familiar with.

>>27089062
Emulators are your friend. Try DesMuMe.
>>
>>27089194
This. I got my original R4 flashcart for like $7 at a garage sale and I use it in my DS lite with over a ten DS games, a GBC emulator with dozens of GB/GBC games, and an NES emulator with a few NES classics.
>>
>>27089207
Alrighty I'm thinking I'll give B/W a go but final question now, Black or White?
>>
>>27089298
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aXrvMa8l2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn0Fe3FKbco

Just compare these two songs, whichever one you like more is probably the game you should pick. Black as a whole is more futuristic and industrial (mostly cosmetically, but the unique town the game has is a city with a lot of trainers to battle), while White is more rural and traditional-feeling (its unique town is a forest with a ton of past-Gen Pokémon you can only catch there).

I prefer White but it's really just a matter of taste, whichever aesthetic you prefer is what you want.
>>
>>27089298

Mostly depends on your preference for exclusive 'mons. Black has Reshiram (Fire/Dragon legend), White has Zekrom (Electric/Dragon legend).

Pre-credits Black has the Whimsicott, Gothitelle and Mandibuzz lines while White has Lilligant, Reuniclus and Braviary.

There's also several post-credits older mons that are version exclusive. Full list here: http://www.serebii.net/blackwhite/exclusives.shtml

There are a few other details but they're mostly aesthetic.
>>
>>27089386
>>27089415
Guess I'm going with White then. Thanks guys, wish me luck.
>>
File: cowboy.gif (2 MB, 500x298) Image search: [Google]
cowboy.gif
2 MB, 500x298
>>27089534
>>
>>27088170
Play vanilla HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Aside from the level curve at the 8th badge it's gamefreaks magnum opus
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.